Start by marking “Molecular Biology of the Cell 5e” as Want to Read:
Molecular Biology of the Cell 5e

Molecular Biology of the Cell 5e

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  832 ratings  ·  54 reviews
For nearly a quarter century Molecular Biology of the Cell has been the leading cell biology textbook. This tradition continues with the new Fifth Edition, which has been completely revised and updated to describe our current, rapidly advancing understanding of cell biology. To list but a few examples, a large amount of new material is presented on epigenetics; stem cells;...more
Published November 20th 2007 by Garland Publishing (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Molecular Biology of the Cell 5e, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Molecular Biology of the Cell 5e

R
In my opinion, the most worthwhile book anyone can own. The culmination of thousands of lifetimes of work. Comprehensible and complete.
Anne
This is both a fantastic introduction to cell biology and a wonderful resource - it's really a foundation text. The writing is lucid and the illustrations are wonderful. Also, there's enough introduction to higher level science to make it possible to read journals and not be utterly gobsmacked.
Rob
I learned a lot from this book. I give it a 5 because it is a great paper weight. No, really; it's a tremendous resource, and books like this are about all I've read between 2000 and 2008.
Maria
Great figures. My biggest problem with this text is that it is really heavy. I actually dropped it and broke two toes.
Frederico
It is a really nice book. Enable you to understand not so basic cell functions.
Gnul1nux
Such a readable text is a joy and a rarity.
Nina Jaquelle
By tagging this book as 'read' I am not implying that I read the whole mass of 1616 pages... :)I used it for chapters that were loosely explained in our lecture notes to enhance my understanding of the subject. The Cell is a great reference book with a surprisingly interesting narrative and super helpful pictures, diagrams, sketches etc. As a med student I also liked the fact that the topics were explained very generally at first before the authors delved into details, which spared me loads of t...more
Rohit
Must read book for all undergraduate Cell Molecular Biology students. Very simple representation of fundamental concepts. It also contains good question bank. Good content, Simple Language, Clear and elaborated images, overall The Best.
James
The most awesome science textbook I have ever read. I *loved* The Cell, and I loved my physics, and college biology books. This book actually changed me. It was worth studying to look at the world completely differently forever after.
Dhafir Fayadh
Well written, and comprehensive. Its my favourite mol. Cell bio text.
Sunetra
read end to end for my GBOs...lol
Elisabeth
Having selected "read" I am not saying that I read the entire book (it is quite lengthy). I purchased this book for one class and I rarely used it. I did not find it useful or compatible with the way in which my professor taught the class. The book seemed difficult to follow... I think it could have been put together in a different way. Possibly if I had just sat down to read it the book would have seemed more cohesive, but it did not mesh well with the order in which my professor was teaching....more
Barry
The biology professor who recommended it to me summarized it as follows: "Whenever there's a cell biology issue where I want a 'Scientific American' level summary of current research, this the book I turn to." It is gorgeous.

The only downside is that this is not a textbook necessarily suitable for an evolutionary molecular biology course. Mutations are covered well, but not as well as (say) the DNA repair mechanism. Still, a very accessible textbook that written well enough to be read cover to...more
Gita
Buku maha tebel yang wajib dibawa untuk berlindung dari bombardir pertanyaan MIT atau MRM saat kuliah BISELMOL!
Yang gue doyan bagian yg ngebahas organel2 and the gank, bagian molekular, gen dan kawan2nya, ora mudheng son! saya menyerah!

Buku berharga yang wajib dibeli. Kalo ada buku beginian di rak buku berasa jumawa, paling pinter, ilmiah, intelek sedunia! Bagus juga buat ganjel pintu atau nimpuk maling kalo kepepet!
Tukang Kueh Keren
1400an halaman....sebenernya gak tamat sih, cuma sempet baca cepet aja, biar gak susah kalo mau ujian.

Dosen saya baek kok....selain kalo ujian, buku ini boleh dibawa dan dibuka-buka, kadang soal ujiannya boleh dibawa pulang :D

*edisi gak mau kalah sama tetangga sebelah*
Ndie
Dec 04, 2007 Ndie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pharmacist and doctor
buku ini dipake buat dua mata kuliah (magister bioteknologi) isinya berat banget, up to date sih tapi menurutku materinya sangat lengkap dan bahasanya cukup advance jadi bagiku (yang otaknya pas-pasan) agak susah untuk memahami.. alhasil setiap ujian stress berat baca buku ini
Nirmal
If you're a student of Biology you should have "The cell". A well written, comprehensive book with loads and loads of information. But I couldn't stop complaining about the way the author had presented/handled a few topics. Apart from this, the book is a gem
Daniel
At first I hated this book, actually for a whole year I hated it. We used it in second year biology class. But now, in my third year, I find this book really useful. It gives a brief summary of almost everything about molecular biology.
Nisha
Despite being red and huge and very scary, this is a great book to refer to. the explanations are easy to understand and quite detailed. I would recommend this to any biology major. It's really worth a buy, I promise.
Catsadiablo
Sep 09, 2010 Catsadiablo marked it as unfinished  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-books, in-english
I've learned a lot of things from this book, not as much to compensate for the money I paid for it! But well... Maybe I should have studied more :P
Heavy stuff... keep it at the bottom shelf.
Daniel
My favotite book from Graduate school. I do not know what happened to this, but wish I still had it. A dork I know, but man I miss that book, it was so good at explaining things.
Kimberly
Holy crap this is an intense book! Anything and everything you've ever wanted to know about a cell, it's functions, and it's interactions with other cells can be found in this book.
Beatriz Christie
Book with great content, but the language is a bit confusing in some parts. Despite this, highly recommended. An indispensable book on the shelf of a molecular biologist.
Rishi Kulkarni
This really drones on a bit and really just goes over concepts that can be found in any biochemistry textbook. What even IS molecular biology, anyway?
Shantanu Sharma
One of the finest molecular biology textbooks I've ever read with detailed illustrations. Useful as a biology reference as well as for graduate-level courses.
Rachel
Very good for test prep for students of microbiology or related subjects concise in appropriate areas and detailed where needed and excellent textbook.
Matthew
Clear, concise explanations of whats going on with the little parts that make up an organism.

Highly recommended.
Arwa
i could never stop reading this book i would keep reading it even if i finished i will read it agin and again
Ofer
This is the book that started my interest in molecular biology.
  • Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry
  • Cartoon Guide to Genetics
  • The Eighth Day of Creation
  • Harper's Illustrated Biochemistry
  • Sociobiology: The New Synthesis
Essential Cell Biology Essential Cell Biology 3th (third) edition Text Only The Art Of Essential Cell Biology Mechanistic Studies of DNA Replication and Genetic Recombination Mboc4 Transparency Set