Ramage and the Drum Beat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)

Ramage and the Drum Beat (The Lord Ramage Novels #2)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  376 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The lieutenant is ordered to proceed to Gibraltar "with all possible despatch" aboard His Majesty's ship Kathleen, to support Lord Nelson in a battle with the Spanish off Cape Trafalgar.
Published January 1st 1987 by HarperCollins Publishers Canada, Limited (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Ramage and the Drum Beat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ramage and the Drum Beat

Reni
Oh, Ramage, what am I going to do with you?

Ramage is the delicious, fat fast-food of the Age of Sail novels. You know, on some level, it's not as good and wholesome as the full meals that O'Brian or Forester provide, but it is still delicious!

Yes, the main character is a god-mode Mary Sue, yet, I am sadly addicted to this series. I might pick up the next book in the series right away, I do not think I will be able to resist. The series may be lacking the lavish prose and period detail of O'Bria...more
Chris Conrady
A nice follow up to book # 1 - picks up right where the last book left off without a gap. An exciting action packed adventure of Lt. Ramage and his command of the HMS Kathleen and how he ultimately helped warn Admiral Jarvis and Commodore Nelson of the massing and combining of the Spanish Armada, (complete with the largest ship in the world the La Santisima Trinidad - a 4 deck 136 gun wall of terror) and Napoleon's Navy in Cadiz. The resulting battle of Cape St. Vincent on Valentines day in 1797...more
Al
Lieutenant Lord Ramage takes the cutter Kathleen toward Gibraltar, and finds more than he bargained for. Mr. Pope's knowledge and description of late 18th century sailing ships and tactics is extraordinary, and clearly explained. Ramage himself and his love interest, Gianna, aren't particularly interesting characters, but some of Ramage's shipmates are, and the action, especially the climactic engagement, is very exciting.
As previously noted, the Ramage books don't measure up to Hornblower an...more
Gilly McGillicuddy
Okay, yeah, it's not O'Brian, but we weren't expecting that. Just relaxing fun, bit too adventurey and a bit Marty Stu for my tastes, but then there you go. I liked the historical cameos (but then of course you are going to have those in a book about the Battle of Cape St Vincent.) Nelson was fun, Jervis surprisingly human (I gasped!), Troubridge his wonderful self.... and oh! Oh! Berry! *heartbubbles*
Oh, and can we have another book like 'Billy Ruffian' but about the 'Culloden'? Yes/Yes?
Stuart Lutzenhiser
Light, enjoyable reading. Retells he story of the battle on Valentine's day off the Cape of St. Vincent betwen a fleet of 15 for the English and 27 for the Spanish. The story is light and not very detailed, but it was great to read on the plane returning home.
Benjamin
The second in the Ramage series was fair, not great. One of the problems is that Hornblower's done it all before, and made it look much more impressive. Ramage just sort of lucks his way out of trouble half the time. Anyway, it's entertaining, but no Hornblower.
Peter
The first of the Ramage books - all of which are exciting and well written. The Ramage series ranks 3rd with me behind Hornblower and Bolitho for age of sail excitement. Ramage is just a little too good and nothing is impossible..
Jon Box
As enjoyable as much or more than other British Navy historical-fiction--I'm going to like moving through Pope's Ramage series of novels . . .
Dave
I really like naval books and Ramage is a great and baudy character. Looking forward to finding/reading the rest of this series.
Dave
Getting desperate.. Kindle has died and the only English language book left in ship's swap library
Robert Minks
The Ramage novels are all very interesting.
Nicholas Stefan
Nicholas Stefan marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Michael Long
Michael Long marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Brett Van
Brett Van marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Judith Ramaleu
Judith Ramaleu marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Bill Demsky
Bill Demsky marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Jim
Jim added it
Aug 03, 2014
  • The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie, #4)
  • Command a King's Ship (Richard Bolitho, #8)
  • Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)
Dudley Pope was born in Ashford, Kent.

By concealing his age, Pope joined the Home Guard aged 14 and at age 16 joined the Merchant Navy as a cadet. His ship was torpedoed the next year (1942). Afterwards, he spent two weeks in a lifeboat with the few other survivors.

After he was invalided out of the Merchant Navy, the only obvious sign of the injuries Pope had suffered was a joint missing from on...more
More about Dudley Pope...
Ramage (The Lord Ramage Novels, #1) Ramage & the Freebooters (The Lord Ramage Novels, #3) Ramage's Prize (The Lord Ramage Novels, #5) Ramage's Diamond (The Lord Ramage Novels, #7) Governor Ramage R. N.