Start by marking “Ramage and the Drum Beat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ramage and the Drum Beat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)

Ramage and the Drum Beat (Lord Ramage #2)

The lieutenant is ordered to proceed to Gibraltar "with all possible despatch" aboard His Majesty's ship Kathleen, to support Lord Nelson in a battle with the Spanish off Cape Trafalgar.
Published January 1st 1987 by Fontana (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Ramage and the Drum Beat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ramage and the Drum Beat

Reni
Oh, Ramage, what am I going to do with you?

Ramage is the delicious, fat fast-food of the Age of Sail novels. You know, on some level, it's not as good and wholesome as the full meals that O'Brian or Forester provide, but it is still delicious!

Yes, the main character is a god-mode Mary Sue, yet, I am sadly addicted to this series. I might pick up the next book in the series right away, I do not think I will be able to resist. The series may be lacking the lavish prose and period detail of O'Bria
Murat
Mar 02, 2016 Murat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful. I am waiting for the 3rd book to continue the story
Jim
Mar 04, 2017 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second i Dudley Pope's Ramage series chronicling the adventures of Nicholas Ramage, Lieutenant in the Royal Navy. This novel follows close on the first of the series, with Ramage in command of HMS Kathleen, a small cutter, charged with taking the Marchesa de Volterra and her cousin to Gibraltar after having rescued them from Napoleon's forces on the Italian coast.

Ramage comes across a demasted Spanish frigate in the middle of the Mediterranean. Using cunning and bravado, he manages
Rich Boyett
A nautical education. If I knew anything about sailing I would probably give this book one more star.
Jean Poulos
This is book two in the Lord Ramage series. This series is set between 1796 and 1807. This period of time was considered the Anglo-Spanish War as part of the French Revolutionary Wars. Lord Ramage is an interesting and likable character. Unlike other naval historical novels of the same time frame, Ramage is of an upper class background and is a Lord. He is Lord Nicholas Ramage, oldest son of the tenth Earl of Blazey, Admiral of the White. He was born in 1775 at Blazey hall, St. Kew Cornwall. He ...more
Chris Conrady
A nice follow up to book # 1 - picks up right where the last book left off without a gap. An exciting action packed adventure of Lt. Ramage and his command of the HMS Kathleen and how he ultimately helped warn Admiral Jarvis and Commodore Nelson of the massing and combining of the Spanish Armada, (complete with the largest ship in the world the La Santisima Trinidad - a 4 deck 136 gun wall of terror) and Napoleon's Navy in Cadiz. The resulting battle of Cape St. Vincent on Valentines day in 1797 ...more
Al
Jul 22, 2013 Al rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lieutenant Lord Ramage takes the cutter Kathleen toward Gibraltar, and finds more than he bargained for. Mr. Pope's knowledge and description of late 18th century sailing ships and tactics is extraordinary, and clearly explained. Ramage himself and his love interest, Gianna, aren't particularly interesting characters, but some of Ramage's shipmates are, and the action, especially the climactic engagement, is very exciting.
As previously noted, the Ramage books don't measure up to Hornblower an
Gilly McGillicuddy
Okay, yeah, it's not O'Brian, but we weren't expecting that. Just relaxing fun, bit too adventurey and a bit Marty Stu for my tastes, but then there you go. I liked the historical cameos (but then of course you are going to have those in a book about the Battle of Cape St Vincent.) Nelson was fun, Jervis surprisingly human (I gasped!), Troubridge his wonderful self.... and oh! Oh! Berry! *heartbubbles*
Oh, and can we have another book like 'Billy Ruffian' but about the 'Culloden'? Yes/Yes?
Bob Cantrell
Nov 15, 2015 Bob Cantrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my second book in this series by Dudley Pope. If the rest are as good as this one then I am looking forward to more good reading. Nicholas Ramage is an officer that is respected by his men so much so that they would follow him into the pits of Hell if asked. In this book that is just what he does at the battle of St. Vincent.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
Light, enjoyable reading. Retells he story of the battle on Valentine's day off the Cape of St. Vincent betwen a fleet of 15 for the English and 27 for the Spanish. The story is light and not very detailed, but it was great to read on the plane returning home.
Peter
The first of the Ramage books - all of which are exciting and well written. The Ramage series ranks 3rd with me behind Hornblower and Bolitho for age of sail excitement. Ramage is just a little too good and nothing is impossible..
Benjamin
The second in the Ramage series was fair, not great. One of the problems is that Hornblower's done it all before, and made it look much more impressive. Ramage just sort of lucks his way out of trouble half the time. Anyway, it's entertaining, but no Hornblower.
Dave
I really like naval books and Ramage is a great and baudy character. Looking forward to finding/reading the rest of this series.

Read this book again because I have the next several.
Jon Box
Feb 13, 2013 Jon Box rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As enjoyable as much or more than other British Navy historical-fiction--I'm going to like moving through Pope's Ramage series of novels . . .
David
David rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Stephen Davis
Stephen Davis rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Ed
Ed rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
JAMES W. DAVIS
JAMES W. DAVIS rated it liked it
May 29, 2016
Harold
Harold rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2011
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Michael Armstrong
Michael Armstrong rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2014
Hari Prasad
Hari Prasad rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2016
Hannah Hitchen
Hannah Hitchen rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Michael R. Fuller
Michael R. Fuller rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Jared
Jared rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
Anita
Anita rated it did not like it
Feb 05, 2015
Southwick
Southwick rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2011
Joyce
Joyce rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2013
Rod Timmons
Rod Timmons rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2014
  • Command a King's Ship (Richard Bolitho, #8)
  • H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)
  • Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)
Dudley Pope was born in Ashford, Kent.

By concealing his age, Pope joined the Home Guard aged 14 and at age 16 joined the Merchant Navy as a cadet. His ship was torpedoed the next year (1942). Afterwards, he spent two weeks in a lifeboat with the few other survivors.

After he was invalided out of the Merchant Navy, the only obvious sign of the injuries Pope had suffered was a joint missing from on
More about Dudley Pope...

Lord Ramage (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Ramage (The Lord Ramage Novels, #1)
  • Ramage & the Freebooters (The Lord Ramage Novels, #3)
  • Governor Ramage R. N.
  • Ramage's Prize (The Lord Ramage Novels, #5)
  • Ramage & the Guillotine (The Lord Ramage Novels, #6)
  • Ramage's Diamond (The Lord Ramage Novels, #7)
  • Ramage's Mutiny (The Lord Ramage Novels, #8)
  • Ramage & the Rebels (The Lord Ramage Novels, #9)
  • The Ramage Touch (The Lord Ramage Novels, #10)
  • Ramage's Signal (The Lord Ramage Novels, #11)