Start by marking “Dreamland: Travels Inside the Secret World of Roswell and Area 51” as Want to Read:
Dreamland: Travels Inside the Secret World of Roswell and Area 51

Dreamland: Travels Inside the Secret World of Roswell and Area 51

There is a place in the Nevada desert the size of Belgium that doesn't officially exist. It is the airbase where test flights of our top-secret experimental military aircraft are conducted and --not coincidentally--where the conspiracy theorists insist the Pentagon is hiding UFOs and aliens. This is Dreamland--or Area 51. For Phil Patton, the idea of writing a travel ...more
Published July 21st 1998 by Villard

To ask other readers questions about Dreamland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreamland

Stephen
"What would happen if the U.S. government opened its doors to us and let us see all that was going on? Depending on what is there, we'd either be vindicated or disappointed, but we would also rapidly lose interest. What would we focus our attentions on? Where would we go next?....the greatest thing about Area 51 is its mystery, otherwise nobody would care."

Dear readers, I have a confession. In middle school, I was way into alien conspiracy theories, specifically the Roswell Incident. I didn't be
Steve
Nov 14, 2010 Steve marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steve by: Thomas Pynchon
Thomas Pynchon sez:

"A mind-opening tale of trespass and revelation, of road adventures, technothriller hardware, saucer folks and aerospace outlaws -- as well as a daring account of the haunting of our history through the Cold War and beyond by what we have seen, and often wish we had not seen, in the hazardous dreamscape of the American sky."
Nick
Jan 25, 2013 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I find it difficult to describe this book. It is a sort of ramble through the world of classified military bases and military research into aircraft, with side trips through Roswell and the various UFO-investigators. Not anything like the sober historical journalism of "Area 51" by Annie Jacobsen, but chock full of fascinating character sketches and anecdotes.
Jason Collins
Oct 22, 2011 Jason Collins rated it really liked it
Dreamland is a fun read, thanks to Phil Patton’s entertaining writing style and his dogged willingness to uncover the mysteries surrounding Area 51. It’s also an important book in the sense that we finally have a credible investigation into the complex and elusive world of Area 51 - a world that Patton coins as “Dreamland.” However, don't be fooled into believing that Dreamland supports any of the conspiracy theorist claims. In fact, much of Patton's findings do more to debunk them.

Patton's ad
Jeff Jellets
Mar 21, 2016 Jeff Jellets rated it liked it

“You didn’t see that,” the officer said.

I’m not really sure what to make of this one.

Phil Patton’s Dreamland is kind of a rambling travelogue that slips past the military checkpoints of the remote Nevada desert, heading toward the elusive Area 51 and the base’s dodgy history of secret military aircraft, UFOs, and government conspiracy. Hiking up to Freedom Ridge, the high point that allows a glimpse down into the restricted airfield, Patton rubs shoulders with Interceptors and Youfers -- airplan
Leslie
Jan 13, 2015 Leslie rated it it was amazing
I'd hoped to read about flying saucers and aliens from outer space, but, alas and alack, all I got was a thoroughly-researched history of Area 51, the development site for top-secret military aircraft. Much of what the author presented as speculative in 1998, when the book was published, can now be verified at the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Ohio, and in photos and videos released by the military.

He writes wittingly, as seen in this quote from the book: "In 1986 Testor rel
Chip
Oct 31, 2009 Chip rated it liked it
To learn that by treaty the Russians are allowed to overfly Area 51 unencumbered while the taxpayers who paid for it are threatened with deadly force for approaching the gate is outrageous. Add to that the inherit laziness of a system where everything is classified and nothing is secret, and you've got a big mess to clean up.

I want to know what the Russians know. I'd be willing to bet they'd sell the info if the price is right... wonder what that figure would be?

Is it treason to purchase US To
Erwin
Aug 06, 2011 Erwin marked it as to-read
Shelves: unable-to-find
"The story of Area 51 and the Nevada Test Site are fascinating enough without embellishment and relying on bar stories. If you want a good Area 51 book get Dreamland by Phil Patton. It is based on facts and when speculation is made, he clearly states that. "

For all you who give this 5 stars for who knows why please do some of your own research. You can easily find better information on the Nevada Test Site, the nuclear rocket program, Project 57, etc than you will get from this book. If you want
Atle
May 31, 2009 Atle is currently reading it
Verdens land og folk: Spania (in Norwegian)
Time-Life Books Editorial Staff
Good on Spanish history
Vince Ciaramella
Feb 15, 2013 Vince Ciaramella rated it it was amazing
My favorite book on this subject matter. It's pretty much a one-stop-shop for all your Area 51 needs.
CAPANNA DURMONT
Ho registrato un libro su BookCrossing.com!
Phil Breidenbach
Oct 19, 2013 Phil Breidenbach rated it it was ok
Full of the usual stories about Area 51. It did have some interesting histories of planes built w/o the publics knowledge. I don't think I'd recommend this to anyone...
Steve
May 29, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it
This is a fun, fun book that is as much about experimental aircraft as is it about UFO lore and camp-followers.
Timothy Moran
Timothy Moran rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2013
Kathy Allert
Kathy Allert rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2012
Elexndra
Elexndra rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2015
Glenn Botto
Glenn Botto rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2013
Jotajotaz
Jotajotaz rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2009
Peter V
Peter V rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
GABRIELE HYSONG
GABRIELE HYSONG rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2015
Eric Wilson
Eric Wilson rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Conformco
Conformco rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
George Cunningham
George Cunningham rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2012
SkipO
SkipO rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Chlorine
Chlorine rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2011
Jaime
Jaime rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2012
  • UFOs and the National Security State 1: Chronology of a Coverup 1941-73
  • Crash at Corona: The U.S. Military Retrieval and Cover-Up of a UFO
  • Witnessed: The True Story of the Brooklyn Bridge UFO Abductions
  • Angels Don't Play This Haarp: Advances in Tesla Technology
  • Mirage Men: An Adventure into Paranoia, Espionage, Psychological Warfare, and UFOs
  • High Treason: The Assassination of JFK & the Case for Conspiracy
  • The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects
  • Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens
  • Blank Spots on the Map: The Dark Geography of the Pentagon's Secret World
  • The Black Eyed Children
  • The Threat: The Secret Agenda What the Aliens Really Want and How They Plan to Get It
  • Flying Saucers: A Modern Myth of Things Seen in the Skies
  • The Last Party: Studio 54, Disco, and the Culture of the Night
  • The Interrupted Journey Two Lost Hours Aboard A Flying Saucer
Phil Patton is a contributing editor at Departures, Esquire, and I.D., a contributing writer at Wired and an automotive design writer for The New York Times. Phil was a regular contributor to The New York Times Home and Garden section and, in 1998, originated the "Public Eye" column. He has written many books including: Made in USA: The Secret Histories of the Things That Made America ...more
More about Phil Patton...