The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)

The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars #2)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Larry Niven called Harvest of Stars "a masterpiece."

Now Poul Anderson returns to the same brilliantly conceived future to tell a story of revolution and liberation on the Moon.
Published October 15th 1995 by Tor Science Fiction (first published August 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Stars are Also Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stars are Also Fire

Knight of Flame by Scott EderFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsFirestarter by Stephen King
Some like it hot
98th out of 185 books — 62 voters
Ready Player One by Ernest ClineDarkShip Thieves by Sarah A. HoytA Deepness in the Sky by Vernor VingeHomeland by Cory DoctorowPirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow
Prometheus Best Novel Award Winners
22nd out of 35 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Emerson Fortier
A great read that explore in great depth the differences between individuals, peoples, races, and particularly, machine and man. Set in a not so unlikely future when machines have largely revolutionized the work force sending many into unemployment and a few on a desperate quest for meaning and purpose in a world where the very idea of freedom has been forgotten.

I really enjoyed it. I think you'll like it a lot if your interested in figuring out the way the world might look after the "robotic r...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Prometheus Awards
Billions and billions of years ago when I first bought and read Harvest of Stars and its sequel The Stars Are Also Fire, I loved those books. I can't remember or imagine why. Before embarking upon a reread I could remember nothing about either book, and that's usually a bad sign--that it didn't make a lasting impression, even though plenty of books--often much shorter and read even longer ago--made a bigger impact.

Usually though, even if I've outgrown a book, I can remember and understand what I...more
Rob
I think maybe this is the kind of science fiction I might have enjoyed in high school; but I was also willing reading Ayn Rand novels in high school. I guess what I'm saying there is: there are some things that we grow out of.

I made it through about 75 pages before I pushed this aside—I just couldn't take it. Whatever story (or stories) were buried in there, they were not coming together; and even assuming that they inevitably would, I could find nothing compelling in the narrative, nor the styl...more
ETMoore
Nicely paced and plotted story with a nicely converged past and present timeline, but like much scifi of this period, it comes to the end trying to resolve metaphysical issues while trying to stay true to it's philosophical materialism and so is ultimately unsatisfying.
Josh
Sep 07, 2011 Josh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Despite what other reviewers might say, this book is far from being Libertarian/Objectivist propaganda. Rather, despite the viewpoint mostly sticking with the libertarianish crowds, Anderson does a superb job of presenting both sides of the argument.

There are very few villians here, if any; and while Aleka and Ian loosely fit into the protagonist category and Venator into the antagonist category, both Aleka and Ian are consistently plagued with doubts about their goal, and Venator the remarkably...more
Mike Blake
I had to abandon this book after about 75 pages. I recently read Starfarers by Anderson, and gave it 4 stars. But this book, just never got me interested. I switched to Vernon Vinge's A Fire Upon Deep, and I was hooked after a few pages.

One thing that bothered about this book, was that it seemed that Anderson was relying way to much on a thesaurus, or was using obscure words as often as possible to make the read very difficult.
Johnny
Poul Anderson is vastly underappreciated. And prolific. This book is epic. You've got transcendent artificial intelligence, interstellar colonization, hard astronomy, bioengineering, sex, talking seals, genetically regressed mormon robber barons. Hell yeah.
Nathan Avery
Memorable characters and a well-imagined setting save a rambling story that essentially goes nowhere. Anderson ratchets up the mystery and anticipation extremely well, but the payoff never really occurs. That being said, this is my favorite representation of moon life next to 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'.
Kevin Cudby
A gripping and nuanced exploration of humanity's long-term options. Anderson convincingly shows how human imagination and dogged stubbornness eventually knock down the most daunting obstacles. Along with "Harvest of Stars," this is a must-read for anyone interested in technology and politics.
Jk Huddleston
I sometimes grow tired of the in-depth family blah blah Dagny weepy character even though the man spins a good yarn and is a superb (learned) writer. I give the book three stars for the sheer scale of the story and his vision on what a colonized space future may look like.
Jeremiah Johnson
Very painful book to get through. Every other chapter switches timelines in an unsuccessful attempt to add style to a very dull story. It took me months to get through half of this book and now I'm giving up.
Rob Pucci
Meh. Never could get into it. I will probably try again some other year...
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Jack
Jack added it
Aug 30, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
John
John added it
Aug 23, 2014
Sandmancpp
Sandmancpp marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Curtis Law
Curtis Law marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Ernie
Ernie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Brian Mcclain
Brian Mcclain marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Daniel Vassily
Daniel Vassily marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Page Count for ISBN 0312855346 2 8 Sep 29, 2013 11:44AM
  • To the Stars (Omnibus)
  • Young Bleys (Childe Cycle, #10)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Nineteenth Annual Collection
  • By Any Other Name
  • Firestar (Firestar, #1)
  • The Exile Waiting
  • The Void Captain's Tale
  • Black Star Rising (A Del Rey Book)
  • The Black Corridor
  • The Dark Light Years
  • Fallen Angels
  • Needle (Needle, #1)
  • Destination: Universe!
  • Strange Attractors (The Chaos Chronicles, #2)
  • Worlds Apart (Worlds 2)
  • Digital Knight
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
Pseudonym A. A. Craig, Michael Karageorge, Winston P. Sanders, P. A. Kingsley.

Poul William Anderson was an American science fiction author who began his career during one of the Golden Ages of the genre and continued to write and remain popular into the 21st century. Anderson also authored several works of fantasy, historical novels, and a prodigious number of short stories. He received numerous a...more
More about Poul Anderson...
Tau Zero The Boat of a Million Years The Broken Sword Three Hearts and Three Lions The High Crusade

“Two lives met across death and centuries. To ask what it meant is meaningless. There is no destiny. But sometimes there is bravery” 9 likes