Start by marking “In Grandpa's House” as Want to Read:
In Grandpa's House

In Grandpa's House

Maurice Sendak illustrates his father's words.
Published December 2nd 2003 by HarperCollins (first published October 2nd 1985)

To ask other readers questions about In Grandpa's House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Grandpa's House

Maureen
Nov 10, 2008 Maureen rated it liked it
When Maurice Sendak's father was 74, he encouraged him to write a story about his boyhood in a Polish-Jewish shtetl, and how he ran away from home to come to America. The resulting story is really a story within a story; aboout a boy named David whose beloved Granfaher dies and his parents disappear. Then the story becomes a fantasy of magical adventures with giants, little people, big and little fish, slaves and masters, and a giant magical bird that transports David throughout his journey, bot ...more
Pam
Oct 24, 2014 Pam rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book for what it is, which is a brief memoir of an old man who grew up in Poland before coming to the USA in 1913 - I wish there was more about that, actually. Then it is a made up story about a boy who flies on a bird and learns many lessons. I was very curious about what this book would be like, and I did enjoy it, but the writing was not the best. Surely if Philip Sendak was not Maurice Sendak's father, this probably would never have gotten published.
Alexa Hutson
This book is about a story that Philip Sendak told his son Maurice Sendak. The book is interesting because it tells a story about the telling of a story. The Grandpa in the book sits down with the kids to tell the story of a boy named David and his long journey. We all know of books and stories that are meant to teach lessons, but this book puts an interesting spin on it. As David goes on his journey, he encounters many fantasy-like situations. He learns something new from each of the situations ...more
John
Aug 04, 2014 John rated it liked it
A little challenging... it's very bittersweet, with more emphasis on the bitter perhaps. An old European folktale-ish story, of the rambling kind (think Pinocchio), without much of a takeaway. Perhaps this is better to read as cultural history (and I guess we're supposed to, given the Sendak emphasis) than as literature?
Paul  Hankins
Philip Sendak's story/account as shared with his son, Maurice, who illustrates the story. A beautiful example of capturing the oral tradition for future generations. The length of the story makes for a potentially wonderful read aloud with a real payoff at the end.
Linda Lipko
No stars for this book.

This was a big disappointment to me. While I think the illustrations are nice (not great), the story line fell flat.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
sea
sea marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
kawoodco
kawoodco marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Dona Williams
Dona Williams marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Shelley Russell
Shelley Russell rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Lydia J.
Lydia J. is currently reading it
Apr 20, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Gerald
Gerald rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Teressa
Teressa marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Anna-karien Otto
Anna-karien Otto marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Sarah Bayless
Sarah Bayless marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2015
Tara Kothari
Tara Kothari is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2015
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Megan
Megan added it
Mar 11, 2015
Sharon Maier
Sharon Maier rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Victor Zajac
Victor Zajac rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2014
cameron
cameron rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
Patrick Reinhart
Patrick Reinhart marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014