Maurice Sendak's Really Rosie Audio: Maurice Sendak's Really Rosie Audio

Maurice Sendak's Really Rosie Audio: Maurice Sendak's Really Rosie Audio

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Selected by "Publishers Weekly"
as an "audio essential" for children
Recommended by "School Library Journal"Contents

The Ballad of Chicken Soup
The Awful Truth
Very Far Away
Avenue P
Chicken Soup With Rice(BOOK COPY)' This sturdily bound paperback contains the script of...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published May 3rd 1989 by Harper Children's Audio (first published December 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Maurice Sendak's Really Rosie Audio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maurice Sendak's Really Rosie Audio

Beth
I grew up reading this and watching the movie. The quality of the movie was bad, but the songs stuck in your head. I still sing "A Alligators all around" to my kids. It was a wonderful way to remember the alphabet, counting, the months on the calendar, and learning lessons. I would highly recommend to anyone teaching their kids the basics. And it's all around fun too.
Ashley
Loved sharing some favorite (Maurice Sendak) songs from my youth with Caius and Sophia! "One was Johnny" (I'll start to count backwards, and when I am through, if this house isn't empty, I'll eat all of you!), "Pierre" (The moral of Pierre is, CARE!), "Chicken Soup with Rice" (In November's gusty gale I will flop my flippy tail and spout hot soup-I'll be a whale! Spouting once, spouting twice, spouting chicken soup with rice.), and "Alligators All Around" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3DRUJ.....more
Dominick
Meh. The text, plus music, for a stage adaptation of some of Sendak's work. The linking narrativ eis thin, and the content of the Nutshell Library books (One Was Johnny, Alligators All Around, Chicken Soup with Rice, and Pierre), divorced from their original illustrations, lose much of their charm. there is new Sendak art to accompany the script, but the power of the originlas is muted.
Misha
Okay, so this is really a rating for the TV special, which I remember from my childhood with a fondness matched only by my love for "The Monster at the End of This Book." Pierre getting eaten by the lion remains one of those things that inspires a visceral sort of creepiness just under the skin, while "Alligators All Around" is pure whimsical fun.
Kelly
It's not so much the book I ended up loving so much as the record that accompanied it. My mom let me check it out from the library until I wore it out and then she finally taped it for me so I could sing "Eating Chicken Soup With Rice" and "One Was Johnny" and "Pierre".

To this day I still know all the words.
Neko
Nov 24, 2007 Neko rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: childrden, musical lovers, and anyone young at heart
I simply adore Really Rosie. It was an ingeral part of why I learned to read as a child. I didn't want to have to wait for my parents to read it to me or for someone to put in the tape so I put forth more effort to read. I love this book and the audio taoe-I still rtemember word for word to the is very day lol
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
I love this collection - Carol King sings wonderful versions of Maurice Sendek poems! I need this on DVD since my VHS tape does me little good with no player in the house anymore. I'm Really Rosie, One was Johnnie, Chicken Soup with Rice, Alligators All Around. What joyous songs! Sendek Art! Amazing!
Kate
Saw this as a play, first. Then I saw the animated version. I long Sendak, and the way he presents common thoughts of children through his books.
Lia
Yes, the Nutshell kids. No childhood is complete without them. And be sure to hear Carol King sing them.
The Library Lady
Combine the stories from "The Nutshell Library" with music by Carole King and you have sheer magic.
Maria DeLuca
This is a cartoon musical that Carole King and Sendak did together.
It's freakin awesome.
Amber
Classic Book! I remember it from my childhood... and now my kids are addicted :-)
Yvonne
I watched the video.
This is a great children's short film.
Great music by Carol King.
Ledawn
I'm a sucker for Carole King.
Aditi
Aditi marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Katy
Katy added it
Jun 22, 2014
Maurice Bernard Sendak is an American writer and illustrator of children's literature who is best known for his book Where the Wild Things Are, published in 1963. An elementary school (from kindergarten to grade five) in North Hollywood, California is named in his honor.

Sendak was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Polish-Jewish immigrant parents, and decided to become an illustrator after viewing Wal...more
More about Maurice Sendak...
Where the Wild Things Are Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months In the Night Kitchen Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue Outside Over There