Start by marking “Dear Mili” as Want to Read:
Dear Mili

Dear Mili

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  439 ratings  ·  37 reviews
A Grimm fairy tale, gloriously illustrated by Maurice Sendak, about a little girl who is sent to the forest by her mother to escape a war.
Published May 25th 2004 by Michael Di Capua Books (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Dear Mili, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Mili

Ronyell
"Dear Mili" is a story written by Wilhelm Grimm and illustrated by popular children's author Maurice Sendak that is regarded as being a lost story since we are never introduced to this tale in the original collection of the Brothers Grimm. This tale is about how a widow had to let her daughter go into the fierce wilderness in order to save her from the violence of the war that was raging in that country.

What was so surprising about this book was that this was the only tale from the Brothers Grim
Wynnie
This is one of the books I read at the Maurice Sendak exhibition in the Comtemporary Jewish Museum, San Francisco. There is a story that the words tell, and there are also layered stories in the accompanying illustrations. Even for books that he illustrates and does not author, Sendak enhances the rich texture of the text. Most of his stories and illustrations deal with the horror of the holocaust.

I chose to buy this book from the museum shop because of the intricate illustration and its overt r
Lisa Vegan
The illustrations are amazing. They’re so lush; I’ve never seen anything quite like them. I’m not the biggest Sendak fan but I love his illustrations in this book. The story is dark, grim, as are many Grimm stories. I wouldn’t recommend this one for most very young children unless first screened by their adults to determine its suitability, but the story was lovely in its own way. I enjoyed it. I’d thought I’d read this in about 1991 but it didn’t seem that familiar to me so I’m considering this ...more
Linda Lipko
As war approaches, Mili's mother grows increasingly concerned about protecting her only, precious child. Sending her into the forest to survive, there is a belief that a guardian angel will look after Milli and keep her safe.

While it seems to Mili that she is only gone three days, in fact it is 30 years.

In the forest she is welcomed by an elderly man, St. Joseph, who shelters her and upon departing to leave for home, he presents her a rose and tells her he will see her again.

When she returns, he
Heather
for those familiar with his work, it's no secret that Maurice Sendak (1928-2012) was ahead of his time and often included melancholy themes of separation and mortality (particularly among children) into his work. Dear Mili, however, is not his own work. it was originally written in 1816 by Wilhelm Grimm and was based on a letter Grimm wrote to a young girl named Mili at the time. in 1983, the story was discovered and Sendak put his signature artistic touch to Grimm's already poignant story.

as wa
Marlayna
W.B.
Dec 16, 2007 W.B. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Ostensibly, a children's book, this would fall into that subgenre of writing where the work operates on two or more vastly different levels...where children come away with one sort of story and adults (or these same children grown up and returned to the book) come away with a completely different story. The one for children is a comforting story about the Lord looking out for his sheep. The one for adults is much darker, a story about how losing a child makes time stop permanently. The book is a ...more
Danielle Brill
Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm is about a little girl named Mili has a loving relationship with her mother when a war breaks out in the town. Her mother sends her to the forest to be safe from the war when the little girl meets a old man. The old man gives her shelter and protectors her for 30 years, however the girl thinks it has only been three days. The old man turns out to be St. Joseph and he sends the girl back to her mother after many years of separation. When she gets there, the girl finds h ...more
Taylor Destito

Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm and illustrated by Maurice Sendak is about an obedient, young girl who lives with her mother who is convinced that her daughter has a guardian angel looking out for her. When a war breaks out, her mother sends her into the woods for safety and tells her to return home in three days. In the woods, she meets an old man who gives her shelter and protects her. When the girl returns to her mother in what she thinks is three days later, she finds it has actually been 30 year

Emilia P
My mommy always used to read this to me and cry and sort of imply it was about me because the girl's name is Mili and one of my sort-of-nicknames was Millie and yeah. This book is incredibly morbid and angry at the horrors of the world, and spooky, and about taking care of each other in little ways, and Heaven, and death, and I read it on the car ride from Bloomington to Cincinnati to go to my Grandma's funeral and I was like, this is going to be so melodramatic, but it's funny, it wasn't melodr ...more
Kellie Ewilson
I loved the pictures, but I did not get into the story.
Lindsay
This is hands-down the book of my childhood. My parents gave it to me for Christmas when I was 5 years old, and as a child, the book was incredibly frightening to me. It was full of dark imagery and pictures of demons and children with angel wings. But something always drew me back to it - at the end of the book, she meets St. Joseph. Something was always comforting to me about that - I knew God was always there in the midst of the wars of life. Every time I read it now, I take something away. T ...more
Cassandra
A masterpiece due to Sendak's illustrations.
Sara
This one really freaked me out as a child.
Jennie
Maurice Sendack's passing this week caught my attention so I thought I'd check out more of his work. Here he is an illustrator to a dark but intriging tale. I think some sensitive children may find the ending shocking or hard to deal with, so I would suggest parents or care givers read first before storytime. I adore detailed artwork as well as imaginative stories which are both presented here.

The artwork felt dream like to me, and for sometime I was lost in the story. One for my collection. Che
Fi♥ °Moon°Love°
On September 28, 1983, the discovery of a previously unknown tale by Wilhelm Grimm was reported on the front page of The New York Times. “After more than 150 years,” the Times noted, “Hansel and Gretel, Snow-White, Rumpelstiltskin, and Cinderella will be joined by another Grimm fairy-tale character.” The story of dear Mili was preserved in a letter Wilhelm Grimm wrote to a little girl in 1816, a letter that remained in her family’s possession for over a century and a half.
Jaena Rae
Out of all the books available in the Contemporary Jewish Museum's store, I purchased this one, primarily because Sendak's artwork here is gorgeously rich and detailed, and also because it is a Wilhelm Grimm story. It's my bed time story for tonight.

Grimm stories never turn out quite how I expect them. This one was both sad and sweet. And as I mentioned before, the illustrations are absolutely beautiful. I never knew Sendak was so skilled.
Camden
This book was so comforting as a child and I remember my mother not wanting to read it to us/not wanting us to have it on our shelves and she kept it on hers and at the time I thought it was because it was such a pretty, pretty book and she didn't want us to ruin it but in retrospect the fact that it is so unsettling and unnerving might have had something to do with her decision to keep it as well
Ashley D--
Okay, so I really liked the illustrations. I found the story to be super creepy, but I kind of want it in my personal library. I think it would have been a better story without all the religious stuff, but I love how morbid it is. Sendak's illustrations are sooooo pretty! Definitely want this in my own library, even though I had to weed it from the one I work at. Sad that a coworker claimed it before me!
Alexandra Lakin
mysterious, amazing
Christine Starkey
A sad but a sweetly surreal story about love and loss. Deep, dark and, dare I say it, grim (as such with many Grimm Brothers stories). A fine fairytale, beautifully illustrated by Maurice Sendak, Dear Mili is for anyone who loves profound children's books with meaning behind its messages.
Sam Grace
Nov 29, 2009 Sam Grace rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mom, anyone who loves profound children's books
Recommended to Sam by: Abigail A.
I need to buy a copy of this so that I can read it enough more times to write a good review. What is immediately obvious, however, is that this story is as deep as it is beautiful, and the illustrations are as good as the story.
Amar Pai
Worst book Maurice Sendak ever illustrated. Don't bother unless you're into allegorical Christian pap. (Actually it may not even be allegorical, there's explicit references to the Christ Child if I'm remembering correctly)
Lady Allison
This was my absolute favorite book when I was little & I made my dad read it to me over & over. The illustrations are amazing & the story reaches across generations.
Paula
Moushumi Ghosh
A charming little tale that comes alive with Maurice Sendak's illustrations, which remind me of William Blake's.
Apr 27, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents with kids
Shelves: kid-shelf
Notice the echoes of history in Sendak's illustrations--including the Holocaust ever present in the background.
A. Gamble
My favorite children's picture book of all time, a story of faith and love overcoming all.
Mckinley
Not sure how I feel about this one. Seems a cruel trick. And not typical Grimm FairyTale stuff.
Sem
Beautiful and painstaking illustrations for a dismal and sentimental story.
Dear Mili 1 6 Mar 10, 2010 01:23PM
  • Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs: A Tale from the Brothers Grimm
  • The Rainbow Goblins
  • The Serpent Slayer: and Other Stories of Strong Women
  • Santa Calls
Wilhelm Karl Grimm (24 February 1786 – 16 December 1859) was a German author, the younger of the Brothers Grimm.

He was born in Hanau, Germany and in 1803 he started studying law at the University of Marburg, one year after his brother Jacob started there.

In 1825 Wilhelm married Henriette Dorothea Wild, also known as Dortchen, at age 39. Together they had four childern: Jakob Grimm (3 April 1826–15
More about Wilhelm Grimm...
Snow White Rapunzel: Grimm's Fairy Tales Godfather Death Snow-White and Rose-Red: Grimm's Fairy Tales The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales

“Never fear. When this rose blooms, you will be with me again.” 2 likes
“I will lead you by a shorter way. You will be with your mother soon, but you will find the going hard.” 0 likes