Start by marking “The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)

The Battle for the Castle (The Castle In The Attic #2)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,059 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
The adventure continues in this exciting companion to The Castle in the Attic.

Published November 1st 1994 by Yearling (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Battle for the Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Battle for the Castle

karen
Aug 28, 2009 karen rated it it was ok
Shelves: kiddiwinx
sigh... cant go back, i guess. when i was little, for easter one time i received the castle in the attic and the owlstone crown - two wonderful wonderful books. this book is a sequel to the castle in the attic. it is neither wonderful nor wonderful. one thing i know about twelve-year-old american boys is that they do not say "blast" when they are angry. not just one time either. it was no typo. its just a weak follow-up, and that makes me a little unhappy. no big deal - i have other books...
Emily
Mar 10, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
The Castle in the Attic was one of my favorite books as a child, and thanks to LibraryThing, I was made aware of the sequel. In The Battle for the Castle, William returns to the realm of the Silver Knight, and with the help of his friend, Jason, and the fair maiden Gudrin, is able to save the castle from another dark and mystical threat: a plague of rats.
I was a little disappointed by this story, as it seamed really rather anticlimactic and not as well plotted as it's predecessor, but it was goo
Janeen-san
Mar 14, 2010 Janeen-san rated it it was amazing
This book is even better than the first. I loved it because it was funny and exciting, and the author did a wonderful job shaping all the characters personalities.

William tells his friend about the castle. Together, using the Amulet, they shrink themselves. Meeting with Sir Simon, the Knight of the castle, they embark on a magical quest to save the kingdom.
Walking out onto the drawbridge, William doesn't see the maze of boxes and old toys that was inside his attic. Instead, he sees a giant fore
Shiloah
My kids were disappointed this was the last book of the two. They loved them both. Great read alouds!
Ty Rosser
Dec 12, 2014 Ty Rosser rated it it was amazing
Kathy Stone
Mar 10, 2014 Kathy Stone rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-the-library
Once upon a time a book of this nature would have had a dream sequence. I do not know if it is a good or bad thing that dreams have been taken away from Children's Fantasy novels, but it does make some of the action illogical. There is no logic to a dream and therefore it works as a good device to introduce an illogical series of events. It could be that it has been a long time since I have read children's books and they do not seem complete to me. I am always looking for details that are not in ...more
JJ
Sep 24, 2007 JJ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy/medival lovers
Shelves: fantasy
another interesting read by Winthrope
Hamster
I always find it irritating when the marketers choose not to identify a book as a sequel. "Well it stands alone!" They no doubt say. "People won't read it if they think it's the ending to another story." While both these things might be true, I can't stand the constant references to what happened in the last book. It makes me feel like I'm walking into a play at the intermission and my neighbor has to whisper through the whole thing to catch me up. GIVE ME THE CHANCE TO FIND THE FIRST OF THE SER ...more
Finalefantasy
Oct 26, 2009 Finalefantasy rated it liked it
My first introduction to The Battle for the Castle was with the audiotape, when I was just a kid. Parts of the story terrified me then, and stuck with me the years since then. Unfortunately, those were the only parts I recalled when it came time to actually read the book.

Pros: We get some interesting chemistry between the main character and his two friends, a boldly honest look at the coming-of-age theme, and a few outstanding storytelling moments.

Cons: We only see the strengths after working th
Chris
Mar 04, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is basically one of those sequels that's totally different from the original in theme, despite following logically from the previous story's events.

The first book was more about a sort of "magic in the home" type theme, with William discovering that his model castle and toy knight are in fact the key to entering another world. His "toy" is actually alive and can talk, as he was a genuine knight changed into lead. Through the use of a magical amulet, William can shrink himself to the size of
Books Kids Like
William is now twelve, the age when the boys in town prove their manhood by "jumping the trains." Early one Saturday morning, Jason and William meet at the station. Jason easily runs, catches the ladder, and climbs over the boxcar to the other side. William decides that it's a pretty silly way to risk your life and doesn't try. Afterwards, William feels embarrassed by his failure and invites Jason over to see the castle. He shows him the token and tells him about his heroic exploits in Sir Simon ...more
Gale
MEDIEVAL TOKENS OF APPRECIATION

William (who received THE CASTLE IN THE ATTIC) is now approaching his 12th birthday, but dreading the townkids' dangerous rite of passage called Jumping the Trains. Although skilled in tumbling and gymnastics, he feels outclassed by Jason, his best friend, who is both taller and more athletic (on a bike). He secretly mourns the fact that he is shorter, fearing that his stature will predestin him to failure in the world.

Then William receives a special gift from M
Simon
Sep 20, 2012 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, that was fun. Juvenile, but good.

I really only read this cause it was the sequel of another book. My library didn't carry it so I had to get it out through another library, and now the book is very overdue and nice fine awaits me: $4.00.

This book was very loose you could say. It ends in a way that could leave it open for more books and adventures. That is only the icing on the cake however.

The whole story has snippets of information that leads you no where and leaves you with questions.

Wher
Julesmarie
The most interesting thing about this one was that there were three children this time instead of only William. And Ms. Winthrop did an admirable job of outlining their differences without making any of them seem either better or worse than the others.

Jason is the typical reckless, sports-minded, too-brave-for-his-own-good young man. William is more reflective, less susceptible to peer pressure, and more open to wonder. Gudrin is redemption for females in a lot of classic fantasy. She still cook
Raynor Moore
Apr 10, 2014 Raynor Moore rated it it was ok
I liked it both more and less than the original. On one hand I enjoyed the fantasy and adventure more. The downside though, was that from the very beginning I couldn't abide the main character's fear of train jumping. It felt like major back tracking after the events of the first book. It was a plot point that should have taken a chapter or two to overcome, not the entire book. Again, okay but not a classic for me.
Cball
Sep 25, 2011 Cball rated it liked it
Shelves: tweens, fantasy, audio, 2011
Good story, very poor audio. It may be just me, but I truly dislike the multi-voice book audio especially where child actors are involved. It distracts from the story and I find myself gritting my teeth.

This is the sequel to The Castle in the Attic. It continues with William growing into a teen and watching his best friend Jason physically mature faster than William. This places stress on their friendship and William pulls the only card he has to keep Jason's interest: magic.

Jason and William sh
Melissa
Mar 01, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
An adorable sequel to the original book. Only complaint? There won't be a 3rd in the series since this book was written in 1994. The series would make a great a great movie.

"As William turns twelve, he wonders if Jason is still his best friend. In the past year, Jason has grown a foot taller, while William is still a shrimp. When Jason challenges William to “jump the trains,” William is terrified. How else can he prove himself to Jason? William gets his answer when his former housekeeper sends h
Mike
Sep 20, 2015 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love The Castle in the Attic, and the sequel is equally good. Dealing with real issues (in this case peer pressure and the markings of the move from childhood to adolescence) without compromising the story and the fact that it's a children's book. Well worth keeping on the family shelf, and not unworthy of a reread as an adult either.
Bethany
Jan 15, 2015 Bethany rated it really liked it
Children's literature. This book follows the story of William and the magic castle in the attic. This time he takes his friend Jason with him, and together they learn what it means to be a man as they face the adventures in store for them. A great coming-of-age book! Great reading for young people. I recommend.
Heather
Feb 20, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Well-written and accessible to kids. I read it to see if it might be appropriate for my god-daughter. It has action and tension, but no real violence. This (and the previous one, I assume) seem to be a good intro to the fantasy.
Logan
Aug 27, 2011 Logan rated it really liked it
Sequel to The Castle in the Attic, this book continues with William having further adventures in his toy castle. He's a couple years older and ropes his irritating, slangy, dim friend Jason into the adventure. Jason kind of ruined this book for me, but Logan loved it. These books are similar to The Indian in the Cupboard, in that William has a figure (a lead knight) that comes to life. William also has a token that can shrink anything alive (himsefl, his cat, etc) down to the right size to fit i ...more
Maria Jo
Aug 01, 2016 Maria Jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: summer-2016
While not as good as the first book, I still really enjoyed this one. William and his best friend, Jason, travel back into the same world as the first book. This time, there is another tragedy threatening the castle, and Sir Simon is gone. Can William and Jason save the day before they have to return to their own time?
Becky
May 24, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
My granddaughter first introduced me to "The Castle in the Attic" and I read it so I could discuss it with her in our long distance phone calls. I thought "The Battle for the Castle" was a very good sequal to the first book, and now I have another book to share with my granddaughter! The cover illustration on mine is different than the one shown here. (My cover shows many rats with beady red eyes.) I prefer the one shown here. THis book might be too scary for younger children being read to, but ...more
Pixie
Aug 01, 2014 Pixie rated it it was ok
Interesting follow-up to The Castle in the Attic, but as others have pointed out, it is so different from its predecessor, it might as well have been a standalone.

Rhonda Fields
May 22, 2015 Rhonda Fields rated it it was ok
I read this with my son. I was surprised the teacher selected it for a third grader. Boring to an adult.
Lisa Dickson
Aug 17, 2014 Lisa Dickson rated it liked it
Nowhere near as good as the first book. Giant rat and rat army make it not an ideal bedtime read for kids.
Polly
Feb 24, 2016 Polly rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
Seemed lousy, so did not finish. I adore the Castle in the Attic, and I would hate to have that spoiled.
Gwyneth
Nov 14, 2015 Gwyneth rated it really liked it
When I was a kid I ate fantasy like this up (including the first book) and part of me knows that I've read hundreds of similar stories. If I had read this ten years ago, nothing would have stood out, it would be just like most of what else I was reading at the time, but I'm an adult now and I loved getting a look back to eight year olds me reading life. There's nothing fantastic about it that makes me think that most people would love it as much as I did, but this only took an hour and a half to ...more
Lia Marcoux
Feb 18, 2015 Lia Marcoux rated it really liked it
Ratings based on my childhood impressions. Ooh, dem rats.
Nevada Libert
May 31, 2014 Nevada Libert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
what a good book about adventure, and bravery and magic.
  • The Remarkable Journey of Prince Jen
  • The Key to the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #5)
  • Jane on Her Own (Catwings, #4)
  • The Boggart (The Boggart, #1)
  • Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2)
  • James and the Giant Peach: a Play
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • The Trespassers
  • Silent Thunder
  • Dragon War
  • The Secret of the Attic (Magic Attic Club, #1)
  • A Place to Belong (Orphan Train Adventures, #6)
  • The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks
ELIZABETH WINTHROP is the author of over sixty works of fiction for all ages.

Her most recent picture book, LUCY AND HENRY ARE TWINS, a picture book for toddlers with illustrations by Jane Massey, was published by Two Lions in 2015. Publishers Weekly called MAIA AND THE MONSTER BABY, published by Holiday House, a story of "two winning female characters with a message about friendship and girl power
More about Elizabeth Winthrop...

The Castle In The Attic (2 books)
  • The Castle in the Attic (The Castle in the Attic, #1)

“...They eat everything alive. People, dogs, horses. Everything with flesh on it. So many of them crawling. Everywhere. Leaving the bones behind.” 2 likes