Start by marking “Snapshot: A Carlotta Carlyle Novel” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Snapshot: A Carlotta C...

Linda Barnes

Snapshot: A Carlotta Carlyle Novel (Carlotta Carlyle #5)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  898 ratings  ·  29 reviews

Every Friday a child's snapshot arrives at the Boston office of P.I. Carlotta Carlyle. There's no note. No return address. Just pictures of the child as a newborn, as a toddler, as a preschooler. Maybe Carlotta should have tossed them all in the trash. Maybe then she wouldn't have gotten mixed up again...in murder.

Discovering what happened to the child in the photos draws

Audio Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published May 1st 1993 by Random House Audio (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Snapshot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snapshot

Spuddie
#5 Carlotta Carlyle PI mystery set in Boston, MA. Each Friday for several weeks, Carlotta receives a photo of a young girl from birth upwards, and then the girl's mother arrives with her psychiatrist to bring her the last one--a photo of young Rebecca Woodrow just before she died. Her grief-stricken mother believes there was some error made in the treatment she was receiving for leukemia that caused Becca's death rather than the disease itself and asks Carlotta to look into it, with a handsome r ...more
Gail
Another Carlotta Carlyle mystery. This one was a difficult one for me to read as it was about a child's death and a mother's grief. The mystery was solid and well paced and kept me guessing. There is a twist at the end that I particularly enjoyed as it relates to a story line that continues from book to book. But the death of a child is never a good read for me no matter how great the writing is or how clever the mystery is solved.
LJ
Snapshot - VG
Barnes, Linda - 5th in series

Discovering what happened to the child in the photos draws Carlotta into a shattered picture of private lives sadly out of focus-and big shots
Pat
Carlotta Carlyle is a 6'1" detective.
Mother thinks her daughter's death from leukemia is weird.
Ties in story of corrupt hospital and manufacture of fake chemo drugs.
Good pace and dialogue.
Rena Glubay
I liked the story a lot but I listened to it instead of reading so sometimes I missed some of the details, and you need to keep up with the details in a mystery :-).
Suzanne Auckerman
Book read so much like a Janet Evanovich, I looked up to see if one was a pen name for the other, but does not seem to be the case. I think the similarity was enhanced because both authors are read by the same person. It was entertaining and was interesting to me because it involved a drug counterfeiting scheme, which is the biggest issue that the FDA currently is facing, much worse than illegal drugs. However, the book had an interesting twist. I have never heard of a case like it, but doesn't ...more
Scilla
Carlotta receives a photo of a baby in the mail. This is followed each week by another photo, each one with the little girls a year older. Finally, the psychiatrist a few houses down brings the mother of the child, Emily, to talk with her and Emily asks Carlotta to investigate the child's death in the hospital. Then, Emily disappears and others connected to the case are found dead. Carlotta's work is complicated because her 11 year old "little sister" appears to have an older male friend who als ...more
Allan Doe
Too long! The pace bordered on glacial. Good setting. Get a new editor.
Joan
I am glad that I picked up reading this series again and plan on reading them all.
Jim
For some reason this story didn't grab me. The plot and the premise seemed reasonable but I did not care for either the setting or the background story and the central character felt somehow isolated from most of the story, maybe because many of the other characters were dead or missing or just
off-stage.
Ben O'loughlin
1990s feminist detective stories set in Boston are quite good apparently. The construction of a credibly bolshie female lead can be laboured (rather instructional scenes where she drinks whisky, plays guitar, is nasty to men who happen to be instrinsically pathetic). But the author creates a credible rendition of Boston. For those familiar with the city it makes the book oddly comforting. Having a cover with 'a chick with a gun' was a smart move.
Cynthia
2 1/2 out of 4 Stars Book on Tape

Carlotta Carlyle is a Boston PI. After getting a series of photos of a child, she is hired by her mother, Emily Woodrow, to prove her daughter's death in a hospital was something more. She eventually uncovers a plot to sell bad cancer drugs to Third World countries. Along the way, she finds her little sister's real father, a big drug dealer in South America, and they strike a deal to take care of Paulina.
Lisa Weber
I really enjoyed this book. I'm not much of a detective/crime reader, and I wonder if this would satisfy a really avid crime reader, but I found it funny, interesting, well written, and not graphic enough to offend my gory detective novel antibodies. Also, the main character is Jewish, and likes to relate little yiddish sayings from her grandma, a really nice touch that kept me smiling.
Jim
This was an OK read. I have to say I like the main character, Carlotta Caryle, better than the book as a whole. She has a social conscience, plays Delta blues on her National steel guitar, a parakeet named Red Emma, and a cat who subscribes to Mother Jones and the New York Times Review of Books.
Susan
I finished reading this just before the Patriots Day bombing in Boston, a reminder that fiction is more tidy than real life; that reading about violence and crime doesn't bring the kind of pain that happens, even in Boston.
Mary Newcomb
Carlotta Carlyle knows how to get things done. She pieces together some confusing clues into a disturbing conclusion. The intrigue with her little sister is also getting intense.

Andie
Feb 26, 2007 Andie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting a quick read
Shelves: finished
Not bad. My first murder mystery since the Sherlock Holmes stories. Some interesting plot twists, though some didn't come through as well as others. It was a very quick read.
Joe O'c
Good; Continuing Character: Carlotta Carlyle; PI tries to assist woman whose child died in a hospital and stumbles across a drugs for dollars scheme.
Ruth
she's nothing like me but i connect with the main character, not perfect but strong. also like the tenant quite the odd ball.
Jeanette
Thia was a good mystery story. I like the main charaters. I will read more of this series if I can find the books.
Bevjirwin
really like this writer. she's exciting,easy read-in conelly and sanfords league
Doris Ernst
Love Carlotta. Wish this author wrote more books with Carlotta. Really good.
Nivi_pooh
Jun 24, 2007 Nivi_pooh rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Readers
Sensitive and gutsy Carlotta is a model of feminism ...
Hats off to the gal
Alex
Endearing main character. Reminds me of V:I:Varchawsky.
Jeanne
I like getting some backstory on Carlotta's previous life.
Lisa
Mar 10, 2009 Lisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish-list
ON MY WISH LIST
Sue
Sue added it
Jul 04, 2015
  • Both Ends of the Night
  • Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6)
  • Burn Marks (V.I. Warshawski, #6)
  • The Snatch (Nameless Detective, #1)
Linda Barnes is an American mystery writer, born and raised in Detroit, and graduated from Boston University"s School of Theater. She is best known for her series featuring Carlotta Carlyle, a 6'1" redheaded detective from Boston. Carlotta Carlyle is often compared to the hard-boiled female detectives created by Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky. Her new novel, "The Perfect Ghost," which will be publi ...more
More about Linda Barnes...

Carlotta Carlyle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1)
  • The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)
  • Coyote (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #3)
  • Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)
  • Hardware (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #6)
  • Cold Case (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #7)
  • Flashpoint (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #8)
  • The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9)
  • Deep Pockets (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #10)
  • Heart of the World (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #11)
A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1) The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9) The Perfect Ghost The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2) Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)