Process: An Improviser's Journey

Process: An Improviser's Journey

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  8 reviews

Author, teacher, and improviser Michael Gellman was given a mission by Del Close himself: “[T]o create improvised one-act plays of literary quality from scratch.” Already steeped in the world of improvisation, he took it upon himself to do this, in the form of a class for other improvisers in which they would build the skills necessary to execute such a seemingly tall orde...more
Published December 19th 2007 by Northwestern University Press

To ask other readers questions about Process, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Process

Jake
Nov 24, 2009 Jake rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Actors
Recommended to Jake by: Actor
Shelves: drama, women-authors
As I sat in a scrappy backyard, watching my neighbor attempt to smoke away his life anxieties, he said to me, “You should do improv.” “I should,” came my patronizing reply.

He sipped his beer, perhaps not detecting the initial half-heartedness in my reply. “Right now my whole focus is finding away to fall back in love with the work.” By work, he meant professional acting. My neighbor and fellow actor proceeded to tell me about taking classes at Second City in Chicago, about the artistic wonder of...more
Randy
Sad little book (not in a a good way).

This book teaches a lot of simple lessons, so simple in fact, you may consider them common sense. It's really nothing more than a children's book dressed up in adult's clothing.

Clearly, this book was written out of the necessity to make money, rather than the necessity to provide any valuable information. And if the goal was entertainment, then I'm bored.
Corina Anghel
Cartea e scrisa foarte "artistic", nu e doar un manual ci o poveste interesanta despre un grup de personaje prin ale caror ganduri si trairi ajungi sa intelegi mai bine teoria. O idee interesanta de a prezenta modul de desfasurare al unui workshop si invataturile din el.
Jill
This is a really nice text on how to build an improvised one-act told from a student's perspective a la An Actor Prepares

To be honest, I haven't finished it simply because of time. But I liked what I read.
Ray Charbonneau
Fictionalized experience of an improviser taking classes - shows rather than tells, and the different viewpoint helps teach.
Eric Rickey
Mar 24, 2011 Eric Rickey marked it as noted-not-read
Part of a Second City class I found interesting.
Nickwieme
The perfect book for a rising improviser.
Houston Longino
Houston Longino marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Joël
Joël marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Brittnay Sudlow
Brittnay Sudlow marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Matt Messerman
Matt Messerman marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Andreana Drencheva
Andreana Drencheva marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Laura Helmers
Laura Helmers marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Yogidragut
Yogidragut marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Stephaniev
Stephaniev marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Jin Yi
Jin Yi marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013