Start by marking “The Cloud” as Want to Read:
The Cloud

The Cloud

2033. The first alien radio transmissions have been received on Earth—a torrent of encrypted information that no human or computer can crack. But the decision to reply is made, and messages of goodwill are beamed into deep space. Thirty years later, just as humankind is expecting a reply from the aliens, the signals disappear. Then scientists detect a space cloud ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Macmillan UK (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Cloud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cloud

Shelley
Jul 22, 2011 Shelley rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
A professor of computer science tries to decode radio signals from a distant planet in order to save the world.

Interesting plot, but I feel it all got lost amidst the infinite detail and repetition of events: for example: scientists warned what would happen to the planet, then there would be a news clipping repeating what the scientists said, THEN the story went over the same details as it happened.
The cyber battle between Bill and Jerome was downplayed - I believe this would have made an inte
Danail Karadaliev
Oct 25, 2016 Danail Karadaliev rated it liked it
The Cloud it's a book with great concept and appealing setting and characters, but the mediocre writing held it back.

It will be way better book if the back story was more fleshed out, maybe if we had some good side stories, or a strong side characters that we can relate to.

Also it's important to mention that you likely NOT like the ending - it's very weak (and happy) and not that satisfying.
Ivan Bogdanov
Чел съм по-добра версия на тази книга, преди много години в Библиотека "Галактика" - "Черният облак". Там два много различни разума се опитваха да комуникират, въпреки трудностите във взаимното разбиране.
Тук нямаме нищо подобно - има три разума - човешкия, извънземен и разрастнал се изкуствен интелект, които изобщо не се опитват да се разбера (те не искат и да комуникират един с друг), а директно се опитат да се унищожат.
След увлекателно начало, развръзката е ужасна, на ниво треторазреден холиву
Morgan
Aug 15, 2013 Morgan rated it really liked it
The Cloud: We really don’t want to know what is out there....
-------

Sometime in the near future SETI detects an authentic broadcast from an extraterrestrial source. Humanity finally has confirmation that it is not alone. Excited, the nations of the world come together and design a broadcast to be sent to the E.T's expressing peace and a desire to communicate.

Fast forward thirty years and the world awaits a response. During this time much has been speculated about what exactly the message from th
Nikola Tasev
Apr 13, 2015 Nikola Tasev rated it did not like it
The idea is interesting. We receive signals from space. After we reply the signals stop and we find a cloud is approaching.
Everything else is a total loss.
The writing style is first grade, as in written by a first grade schoolboy telling a story. We are being told almost everything, and shown verry little. The little dialog used for exposition is forced and lifeless. The people all behave the same and seem like cardboard cutouts. The love story feels absurdly fake, just like the tragedies that
Farhan
Oct 13, 2014 Farhan rated it really liked it
I had seen this book around for quite some time on the shelves of local bookshops and finally decided to go ahead and get it despite the fact that I didn't know anything about it. I hadn't read any Amazon.com reviews before purchasing it which was highly unusual for me. But, man, am I glad that I did read it.

Not a very original plot but a fast-paced, engaging one, all the same. The SETI program detects an alien signal from a distant planet and scientists beam back their welcome message which re
Gary Stocker
Really held your attention. Sort of a cross between "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" and "The Quatermass Experiment". Both highlight valid things to be concerned about. I am interested in SETI and would like to think that one day we will make contact. Although I think that they would be benevolent, there is absolutely no guarantee that the contactees will be. I just hope that if a civilization advances technologically then it advances in wisdom and morality.
Steven
Jan 23, 2009 Steven rated it really liked it
Crusader
Nov 12, 2010 Crusader rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2010-read
A captivating storyline that keeps you turning the pages in anticipation of what will happen next. There's not a single moment of boredom. The references to Carl Sagan and Isaac Asimov adds that touch of class since the story largely revolves around astronomy and AI.
Sophie H
Oct 06, 2013 Sophie H rated it it was amazing
This book was epic. Could not put down. I feel like it's something my high school english teachers would love... So much to analyze!
Andy Turner
Andy Turner rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2014
Константин
Константин rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2013
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Emmanuel Buttigieg
Emmanuel Buttigieg rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Mark Baxter
Mark Baxter rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2015
Dan Jackson
Dan Jackson rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Eliška
Eliška rated it really liked it
May 10, 2015
Branimir
Branimir rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Shoumy
Shoumy rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2013
Lyubomir Ivanov
Lyubomir Ivanov rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2016
Maj
Maj rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Ramona
Ramona rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2015
Broochy  Lumberjacks
Broochy Lumberjacks rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Vince Grey
Vince Grey rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2011
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2014
radicz
radicz rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2016
Avi Dardik
Avi Dardik rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2012
Denisa
Anotehr rating: 7/10
Lenka Ch.
Lenka Ch. rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2014