Start by marking “Duchess in Disguise” as Want to Read:
Duchess in Disguise

Duchess in Disguise

3.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Book by Courtney, Caroline
Published June 1st 1979 by Warner Books (Caroline Courtney Romance #1) (first published March 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Duchess in Disguise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duchess in Disguise

Anne
Just how many books am I going to rate low this year, seriously?! What's happening?? And how many times am I going to say "This started out great, BUT THEN..."?!?! Gah.

This book was an odd mix of The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer and Heart's Desire by Barbara Cartland, with some random Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion references thrown in, and a character oddly reminiscent of the Duke of Avon in Heyer's These Old Shades. A very strange mix. I know that, had I picked this novel 3-5 ye
I have such happy memories of reading Caroline Courtney's books -- my sister Heather was a regency romance junkie and for some reason, I bypassed her Georgette Heyers and scooped up her Caroline Courtneys. She had 8. I read them behind closed doors, not because my parents would mind my reading them, but because I was supposed to be doing homework. It was my year of "failing" (meaning I was no longer getting all As) and my parents had taken away my phone, and then my television-watching privilege ...more
Lynn
Madhulika Liddle
May 16, 2015 Madhulika Liddle rated it it was ok
In Regency England, seventeen-year old red-head Clorinda de Villiers (I do wish this heroine had a nicer name!), her elder sister Emily and their useless gambler of a brother Jack receive a letter from the Duke of Westhampton, addressed to their now-dead mother. The Duke wishes to marry Miss de Villiers. No matter if he has never set eyes on her before. Driven by dire poverty and Jack’s reckless behaviour, they have little choice. But, since Emily is already in love with the local squire’s son, ...more
Heather
Sep 12, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok
What a cheese-fest! LOL You have the duchess, Clorinda (I kept thinking of her as "Chlorine", HA), who wears her mother's outdated clothes and bleaches her hair - and yet, somehow, she's able to "remove" the bleach to return to her natural hair color. She decides to go to London and wear fashionable clothing, because changing your name from Clorinda de Villiers to Cecilia de Vere and likewise changing your hair color and clothes renders you utterly unrecognizable. smh The duke, Julian, is a pomp ...more
♥︎♥︎ Demaris♥︎♥︎
Lord. Bodice Rippers can be a ludicrous proposition to begin with, but when they are badly written and stupefyingly boring then they are a nightmare! Don't read this.
Yasmine Fahmy
Nov 16, 2014 Yasmine Fahmy rated it did not like it
the story is very shallow ..... the whole story is about the heroine we always read from her point of view so we never get to know what is the hero thinking......very boring and ridiculous
Marianne
Jun 01, 2011 Marianne rated it it was ok
It was okay. I really like the time period. The romance part didn't have any depth at all. I didn't like that the main character kept being described at not being completely physically mature, and the fact the the Duke was so much older, didn't do anything for me. It did keep my attention, but I still found it lacking. I might give another one of her books a chance down the road. I hope that I like it better than I liked this one.
Helmisade
Nov 08, 2011 Helmisade rated it liked it
Clorinda. That's the name of the main character. Clorinda. I bet that was a popular name around the regency period...:D

The plot was actually pretty fun with the disguise and forced marriage and all. I just never got over the fact that Clorinda (seriously) is only 17 and described as still having the body of a child. That just makes the whole marriage and romance a little too creepy for my taste.
rameau
Entertaining but so very bad. She’s an irritating adolescent and he’s a shadow of a dunce. I’ve overgrown the virginal heroines and their innocence, even if they do deliciously stupid things as pretend to be other people to seduce their husbands.
Lesr Kew
Jun 29, 2015 Lesr Kew rated it really liked it
cute book. I really liked how she took it into her own hands to do something abt her situation. I also appreciated how fast paced it was. this did sacrifice details and depth of the story but if you are looking for a quick good read, this is it!
Sarah Duncan
Apr 19, 2010 Sarah Duncan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
This is one of my all-time favorite romance books! I absolutely loved the will power of the heroine in this book and I loved the way she took her life in her own hands and decided to make her husband fall in love with her. What a woman!
Michelle
Nov 06, 2015 Michelle rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1900s, romance
1.5 stars. I really wanted to like this book, but I can't. There were some great ideas buried in the book, but the author didn't develop them and instead described other unimportant things. This could be a good romance if only....
Jan
Feb 11, 2014 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, regency
Clorinda marries to save her sister who is in love with another. She plots to gain her husband's love.
shms
Jan 08, 2012 shms rated it it was ok
1.5 stars really. The premise was a good one, the execution just plain daft.
Shelley
Aug 31, 2012 Shelley rated it liked it
Clarisse
Clarisse rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Neo
Neo added it
Jun 21, 2016
Irma04
Irma04 rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Sheila Forsee
Sheila Forsee marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Neil Pinard
Neil Pinard marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Loren Slaydon
Loren Slaydon marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Jane Mercer
Jane Mercer rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Fre06 Begum
Fre06 Begum rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2016
C
C added it
Mar 10, 2016
Keri
Keri rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Josele May
Josele May rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Juniebgood
Juniebgood marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Her other names: Penny Jordan, Annie Groves, Melinda Wright, Lydia Hitchcock

Penelope "Penny" Jones was born on 24 November 1946 at about seven pounds in a nursing home in Preston, Lancashire, England. She was the first child of Anthony Winn Jones, an engineer, who died at 85, and his wife Margaret Louise Groves Jones. She has a brother, Anthony, and a sister, Prudence "Pru".

She had been a keen rea
More about Caroline Courtney...