Start by marking “Duchess in Disguise” as Want to Read:
Duchess in Disguise

Duchess in Disguise

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  13 reviews
To win her husband's love she masqueraded as a lady he did no know! The Duke of Westhampton had a wife in the country - and a mistress in town. This suited the Duke of Westhampton, but his young wife, whom he'd wed and tuckedaway on his estate with scarcely a second glance was not pleased. So, being as audacious as she was innocent, she undertook to win his attention, toch ...more
Published June 1st 1979 by Warner Books (Caroline Courtney Romance #1) (first published March 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Duchess in Disguise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duchess in Disguise

Lynn
I have such happy memories of reading Caroline Courtney's books -- my sister Heather was a regency romance junkie and for some reason, I bypassed her Georgette Heyers and scooped up her Caroline Courtneys. She had 8. I read them behind closed doors, not because my parents would mind my reading them, but because I was supposed to be doing homework. It was my year of "failing" (meaning I was no longer getting all As) and my parents had taken away my phone, and then my television-watching privilege ...more
Heather
What a cheese-fest! LOL You have the duchess, Clorinda (I kept thinking of her as "Chlorine", HA), who wears her mother's outdated clothes and bleaches her hair - and yet, somehow, she's able to "remove" the bleach to return to her natural hair color. She decides to go to London and wear fashionable clothing, because changing your name from Clorinda de Villiers to Cecilia de Vere and likewise changing your hair color and clothes renders you utterly unrecognizable. smh The duke, Julian, is a pomp ...more
Yasmine Fahmy
the story is very shallow ..... the whole story is about the heroine we always read from her point of view so we never get to know what is the hero thinking......very boring and ridiculous
Marianne
It was okay. I really like the time period. The romance part didn't have any depth at all. I didn't like that the main character kept being described at not being completely physically mature, and the fact the the Duke was so much older, didn't do anything for me. It did keep my attention, but I still found it lacking. I might give another one of her books a chance down the road. I hope that I like it better than I liked this one.
Helmisade
Clorinda. That's the name of the main character. Clorinda. I bet that was a popular name around the regency period...:D

The plot was actually pretty fun with the disguise and forced marriage and all. I just never got over the fact that Clorinda (seriously) is only 17 and described as still having the body of a child. That just makes the whole marriage and romance a little too creepy for my taste.
rameau
Entertaining but so very bad. She’s an irritating adolescent and he’s a shadow of a dunce. I’ve overgrown the virginal heroines and their innocence, even if they do deliciously stupid things as pretend to be other people to seduce their husbands.
Lesr Kew
cute book. I really liked how she took it into her own hands to do something abt her situation. I also appreciated how fast paced it was. this did sacrifice details and depth of the story but if you are looking for a quick good read, this is it!

Sarah Duncan
This is one of my all-time favorite romance books! I absolutely loved the will power of the heroine in this book and I loved the way she took her life in her own hands and decided to make her husband fall in love with her. What a woman!
Michelle
1.5 stars. I really wanted to like this book, but I can't. There were some great ideas buried in the book, but the author didn't develop them and instead described other unimportant things. This could be a good romance if only....
Jan
Clorinda marries to save her sister who is in love with another. She plots to gain her husband's love.
shms
1.5 stars really. The premise was a good one, the execution just plain daft.
Bunnyk
Bunnyk is currently reading it
Nov 29, 2014
Zorro
Zorro marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Keiko Nainggolan
Keiko Nainggolan marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Kassa Andra
Kassa Andra marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Sunshine
Sunshine marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Lavanya Lakshminarasimha
Lavanya Lakshminarasimha marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Era Brown
Era Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Maren
Maren added it
Jun 26, 2014
Barbara Peers
Barbara Peers marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Faye Wee
Faye Wee marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Her other names: Penny Jordan, Annie Groves, Melinda Wright, Lydia Hitchcock

Penelope "Penny" Jones was born on 24 November 1946 at about seven pounds in a nursing home in Preston, Lancashire, England. She was the first child of Anthony Winn Jones, an engineer, who died at 85, and his wife Margaret Louise Groves Jones. She has a brother, Anthony, and a sister, Prudence "Pru".

She had been a keen rea
More about Caroline Courtney...
A Wager For Love Guardian of the Heart The Courier of Love Love Triumphant Love Unmasked