Start by marking “Pain & Wastings” as Want to Read:
Pain & Wastings

Pain & Wastings

At fifteen, Ethan is on the fast track to nowhere. In and out of group homes and constantly in trouble, Ethan is fighting to find a sense of who he is. After breaking into an amusement park and being savaged by a police dog, he is befriended by a paramedic. Offered a choice of court or going on a ride-along in an ambulance, Ethan takes what he thinks is the easy way out. O ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Orca Book Publishers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Pain & Wastings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pain & Wastings

Salma G.
May 10, 2012 Salma G. rated it it was amazing
Salma Guzman – book review #1

In a place where kids are the worst but there is Evan and he’s one of those kids who represents are one of the. worst even is a kid who is trying to figure out out who is himself but there’s only one thing In his live who he is trying to figure out who killed (murdered) his mom when he was just a kid but the reason he’s trying to recover himself is to keep him alive. By the help of Kelly and to teach and tell him how she knew her mom and how she found out how they k
Rosie
Jan 08, 2010 Rosie rated it liked it
Novelist described this book as a “High interest story designed for reluctant readers or those reading below grade level.” I think this is a perfect description of this book. Carrie Mac, who is a paramedic herself opens the story with Ethan, a juvenile delinquent who has had a troubled past, breaking an entering and getting attacked by a dog. Holly is the paramedic on the scene and happens to know Ethan from when he was a child. Ethan is intrigued by the fact that Holly knew his dead mother and ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

Ethan Mingus Kirby was born to a mother whose life became filled with heroine, poverty, and prostitution. They lived in the ghetto neighborhood at Main and Hastings, nicknamed Pain and Wastings. At the tender age of six, Ethan witnessed his mother's brutal murder.

This short novel picks up after Ethan has spent years in numerous foster homes and developed a bitter attitude toward life in general. He has a run-in with the law and is g
Karina
Sep 03, 2015 Karina rated it really liked it
I found this book to be really interesting.I think that this book can relate to some people by the community Ethan has lived in or some of the struggles he has gone through throughout his life. I like how the book was very descriptive and gave me a lot to think about and the way the story helped me create images in my head to help me better understand what the author was trying to show through out the story. Overall I think this is a very good book that can show people some of the struggles othe ...more
Cara
Jun 05, 2008 Cara rated it liked it
Ethan is a juvenile delinquent who keeps getting in trouble. One night while breaking into an amusement park he ends up needing paramedics. The paramedic who helps him reveals that she knew his mom. This information sends Ethan on a trip down memory lane that he doesn't want to go on. Through brief daydreams of the past we learn what happened on the day his mother died.
Good book for older teens who are 'reluctant readers'. Contains some mature content.
Victoria
Oct 29, 2013 Victoria rated it really liked it
Although this was a short read, literally only took me 30 minutes to read, it was amazingly powerful. Normally, I'm not too big on shorter novels because the characters don't always fully develop, but I felt the real raw emotions that Ethan was experiencing. I was heart broken for him, and wished that I could fix all his problems. This is a quick read that is really worth the little amount of time it will take to read it.
Yasmin Ruiz
After reading this book it made me cry i know how Ethan felt. i think he passed through a lot of things especially watching his mom died. my opinion about this book is that no wonder at the beginning of the story he and hes best friend were planning to steal they weren't well educated cause they didn't have a mom or a dad.
Sally
Oct 05, 2008 Sally rated it liked it
This young adult novel is high interest, low reading level (grade 3-4) and edgy, about a tough guy who avoids going to juvie yet again by agreeing to shadow ambulance workers for a week. He comes to terms with his mother's violent death when he was a little boy, but his problems aren't sugar-coated.
Bluu82
Jan 27, 2013 Bluu82 rated it liked it
Pain & Wastings is a surprising book. It's filled with suspence as through out the book you wonder what happened to Ethan's (main character)mother. I think if i was ever in a situation like this i would a have a simular reaction to Ethan because what he went throutgh was traumatising, exspecially at such a young age. I reconmend this book.
Sade
Oct 27, 2011 Sade rated it really liked it
i liked the book and the charaters were good but i did not get the part when ethan and his friend climb he tower his friend dissapered but ethan got his leg ripped i did not really get that part but it was a good book
Sue
Jun 11, 2014 Sue rated it liked it
another orca sounding - didn't like this one as much - I get that the experience with the ambulance was cathartic but the story just seems way too rough for the intended audience. didn't seem quite realistic even though i'm sure that sadly enough it probably is more common than I realize.
Amanda Skinner
Feb 04, 2010 Amanda Skinner rated it really liked it
Awesome!! I found myself racing to get to the end just to find out what had happened in the past. I love it when authors tease you like! Well worth the read.
Jasmine
Oct 18, 2009 Jasmine rated it liked it
This is also a good book....it had a couple of bad wrds ....but still came to the point of the book.
hammna
hammna rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2012
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
May 26, 2012
Taylor
Jan 26, 2009 Taylor added it
This was a good book. (:
Eh Sher
Eh Sher rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Ema
Ema rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2012
Aylin Rodriguez
Aylin Rodriguez rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2014
Melissa Buckner
Melissa Buckner rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Gabrielle Dewolfe
Gabrielle Dewolfe rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2013
COAST Reads 2012/13
COAST Reads 2012/13 rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2012
Kelly Henderson
Kelly Henderson rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Sebastian Sanchez
Sebastian Sanchez rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2011
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2009
UDHSLibrary
UDHSLibrary rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Sarah rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2013
Westcoast_girl
Westcoast_girl rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2013
Joyce
Joyce rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Pain and Wastings 1 12 Oct 30, 2009 12:27PM
I live with my partner and two children in East Van, overlooking the shipyards and with a great view of the crows flying home to roost.

Or:

When Carrie Mac was born, her right eye gawked off in one direction while her left eye looked the other way. Well meaning adults thought she was a changeling and so they wrapped her up and put her on the porch for the fairies to take back, please and thank you.
More about Carrie Mac...