Start by marking “The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, Volume 3)” as Want to Read:
The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, Volume 3)

The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles #3)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  3,489 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Book 3 of The Kent Family Chronicles covers the period following the War of Independence.Jared Kent,son of Abraham Kent, the main protagonist of Book 2 "The Rebel",is left in Boston in the care of his uncle,Gilbert Kent, younger half-brother of Abraham and Gilbert's wife Harriet, a mean minded woman who resents Gilbert's affection for his nephew.Jared's only friend is his ...more
Published 1975 by Nelson Doubleday (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Seekers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seekers

Thom Swennes
Nov 14, 2012 Thom Swennes rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: re-read
Volume 3 of the American Bicentennial Series (The Kent Family Chronicles) deals with the second generation Kents and a new and ever growing country. Westward expansion and the men that legends were made of, color this fast-moving and engaging novel. Many may find the actions as brutal as their perpetrators are beastly but that was the west. The settlers moving westward tamed the country and made it into a nation. In John Jake’s fashion figures of American history are brought to life and intertw ...more
Jim
An excellent edition to the series, but it's a lot darker than the first two. Still, it was realistic enough & Jakes drops plenty of historical facts through the characters' eyes. Well done.

I need to take a break to read another book, but intend to continue re-reading this series soon.
Joy H.
Added 5/11/12.
I have read the first 2 volumes of the Kent Family Chronicles. This is the 3rd. I started this one on or about 6/10/12.

7/29/30 - I finally finished reading this book. It was an enjoyable read even though I wasn't able to give it the time it deserved because I was busy with other things. Nevertheless, each time I returned to it I was immediately engaged in the story. Jakes knows how to tell a good story!

On to Volume 4, The Furies!
Rosemary Hazard
I enjoy the Kent Family chronicles but this was a sad read; Abraham was an interesting character and I hated to see his story as it played out, would have like to have seen him on the stage a little longer. Phillip is much different than his character in the first two books and it is sad to not see any of this story really from his character's point of view. The remaining story is interesting, well researched, and vividly depicted; historical figures weave their way into our main characters' liv ...more
Marilyn
I still have 3 chapters to read of this book; however, I'm not sure I'm going to finish. This book is so graphic, so intense, and has so many horrifying incidents that - as never before - I get easily upset reading it.

Ok...so I finished...and the trauma moderated a bit so I could get through it. This book was about a Kent son moving off to the west to become a farmer...finding the severe difficulties of this...moving back to Boston with his young son after his wife was killed by Indians. Moving
Eric Wright

Jakes historical novel follows the story of the Kent family, and in doing so illuminates American history. In this case, the story covers the period around the War of 1812 with Britain, a time when Britain from its base in Canada and with strong Indian allies threaten to new republic. The book gives us insights into the anti-war sentiment of the New England States, concerned as they are about trade, contrasted against the desire for war from those in Washington and the south.

It is an era of gre
Mitzi
This isn't a bad book, in fact it kept me turning the pages the same way the first two books in the series did. But, I can't say I enjoyed it, which is disappointing. No one is happy in this book, ever. And nothing good happens to them, at all. I understand putting your characters through the proverbial ringer, but you have to have an emotional breather in there once in a while...

I also didn't like how drastically changed the character of Phillip was at the beginning, and the "raised as brother
Debbie Jarrell
This is the third generation of the Kent family, two young cousins. Through various harsh circumstances they find themselves on their own, then get separated. The last part of this book was really difficult to listen to, because the female cousin falls into the hands of very abusive men. Hopefully in the next book their lives will improve.
Tammy
Oct 09, 2012 Tammy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction lovers
This is book three of the Kent Family Chronicles. The next generation, this is Abraham, Gilbert, and mostly Jared Kent's story. Ranging from 1794 through 1814. Abraham in the 1794 Indian Wars, travels and trials living in the Ohio region, then sad return. Gilbert unhealthy body but strong mind trying to be family peacemaker, a modernist of the 1800's with Jeffersonian thinking in Boston that feels differently, and Jared that is abandoned, mentally abused but still has the spirit and spunk to fig ...more
Kelly
I love reading books that are in a series, but I can't read them one after another. So after refreshing my memory, I really got into this book and remembered why I like the series so much (it's been years since I read the prior one!!) These books are classic John Jakes, filled with scandal, history, violence, love, suspense. This one was very easy to read and kept my interest from beginning to end. I kind of rolled my eyes when one of the main characters just *happened* to, on the way from Bosto ...more
Bonnie
The third book in the Kent Family Chronicles traverses two generations of the Kent family. During one section of the book, which skipped ahead several years to watch two of Philip Kent's grandchildren growing up, I suddenly remembered a very touching moment ahead (next book, I think) that brought me to tears when I first read it. Now I can't wait to get there! The Seekers had a lot of shocking, brutal action in it, fairly typical of why they called it "the wild west". It was very gripping and I' ...more
Tara Hall
I read books 2-7 of this series in the last weeks of Feb 2013. While I liked the continuation of the family name through each generation, I could have done without every single important female of the Kent family being raped, sometimes repeatedly. They no sooner got power and money than they lost it, and family members ran the gamut from good to brilliant to corrupt to sleazy to fierce to insane to bloodthirsty. Lots of historical info, also, which made the story more real and interesting. But I ...more
Teresa
Enjoying this octology. Now reading book 4 and can't wait to finish the series to find out how it ends. John Jakes is a great author who has the ability to make you feel as if you're from the mid 1800's. Love his writing!!
Tim "The Enchanter"
Mar 28, 2013 Tim "The Enchanter" rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction Lovers
Book 3 of the Kent Family chronicles is my least favourite so far. With the exception of Jared Kent, the family members introduced are either undeveloped or simply unlikeable. Two story lines from the previous book converged in the third instalment but you are left feeling as if the characters and storyline has been wasted. This instalment is more disturbing than the first two. Rape is a recurring theme in the books but it is more disturbing in this instalment as it deals with children.
Johnny LeBon
After re-reading this (read it over 20 years ago) I was very disappointed with the way this book ended.
All I will say is I thought in the early 19th century women had no right to property, so the Kent assets should have passed on to Jared Kent. That was the way Gilbert was talking to JAred about the family business.
To twist the facts around to make your story work is poor writing, in my opinion.
I don't know if I will read the rest of the series. Although, I have enjoyed his other works.
Brandon Cooper
I was planning on reading every book in this series but decided to stop here. Who seriously thought so much rape was a great idea? Once it gets to the graphic rape of a 10 year old, I started to wonder if this was actually entertaining to anybody. It's not that I think details of a harsh life are unimportant, but there's a rape or attempted rape every hundred pages or so here, and more often than not they don't serve any narrative purpose.
Ann Wilkes
This third book in the Kent Family Chronicles held my interest cover to cover. Most of the men in this family suffer from PTSD and alcoholism. And then you have the attempted and successful rapes of both men and women, murder and illnesses. It's not for the faint of heart. As I neared the end, I swore I would throw the book across the room if Jakes didn't give the last two surviving Kents some small hope of recovery. He did.
Brent Soderstrum
Volume 3 of the Kent Family Chronicles starts out with Abraham Kent and then moves on to cover his son Jared Kent and his adventures with his cousin Amanda Kent. This work of historical fiction cover the late 1700s and the early 1800s. Jakes does a good job of weaving a page turning story in with the history of what was going on in the United States at the time. I am looking forward to reading Volume 4 The Furies.
Ice Bear
The book ended without and ending being 3 of 8. The storyline just wandered away in the last few chapters as if the author was working to a time schedule, or perhaps the next book.
It was also too littered with sex, which detracted from the historical setting.
The Marketing hype perhaps is overdone.
I will continue to read the series so as to complete it, but I do feel let down by it.
Wendi
I've been loving this series of historical fiction set in the time of the American Revolution. This book just had too much rape and yuck in it for me to enjoy it. I don't remember the previous two being like this. Do I continue the series or quit? I need to find someone else who's read it and can tell me if the next one is good or will leave me feeling sick to my stomach again.
Paula Hebert
the 3rd book in the kent family chronicles, documenting the history of America in the context of a soap opera-ish, bodice ripper format. excellent fact-based story, with villians, an anti hero, and of course a few fare maidens, for color. easy reading, and a great way to get some history in someones brain without beating them over the head with a textbook.
Debbie
I'm a few chapters in and enjoying the story.

I did skip a chapter or two as I chose not to read about the war adventures. Also, again, a bit frustrated that they know all the historical figures. Seriously .. they know Lewis of Lewis and Clark. But, looking back to what I read in the Rebels, I should have seen this one coming ..

Tracy
I don't know about this one. I loved the first two, but this one seemed very meh. I really liked the ship-oriented part and high hopes for the book then (I adore naval-oriented historical fiction), and was disappointed with how it all turned out after the fact.

Not sure I'll bother with the 4th one or not yet after this one.
Viola
This is the 3rd of 8 books in the Kent family chronicles. I did not like it as well as the first two because it was much more fiction, than history. There were times that Jakes just seemed to throw encounters with historical figures into the story just to keep the history aspect of the novel.
Matt
This book in the series was ok, a little boring at times. I have started looking up the people the main characters meet along the way as I've found they are typically real people from history.
Allyson
John Jakes' reputation for historical accuracy, his writing style, and the story he tells of the fictional Kent family combine to makes the entire 8-volume family saga absolutely wonderful. Reading this series was key in getting me "hooked" on the historical-fiction genre.
Craig&kerri
Sep 26, 2008 Craig&kerri rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults interested in history
Recommended to Craig&kerri by: Craig-my husband
This is the third book in the Kent Family Chronicles and was just as good if not better than the first two books in the series. I find the history details very interesting and the story is easy to read and again draws you in quickly. It's hard to put this book down.
Elizabeth Schenk
So i finished this book like 2 days ago it was different then the first 2 but none the less i loved it.but i must say it ended kind of abrubtly. but i know the next one will be just as good. John Jakes would be an amazing teacher he would make hisory fun!
ScottK
The Rebel, The Seekers and The Bastard were all fairly good books . I don't usually read books of this type but read them all after I saw the Bastard made into a mini series ( at least I think it was The Bastard), I know it was one ..or maybe all of them.
Renee
Horrible. Surely, such terrible things happened to children at the turn of the 19th century, but that doesn't mean I want to read about them in a work of fiction. This novel made me feel physically ill. I will not continue to read this series.
  • 1812
  • Second Generation (Lavette Family, #2)
  • The Magnificent Century (The Plantagenets, #2)
  • Washington! (Wagons West, #9)
  • From Sea to Shining Sea
  • City of Glory: A Novel of War and Desire in Old Manhattan
  • Gateway to Empire
  • Alaska
  • Dragon's Lair (Justin de Quincy, #3)
  • Ellis Island
  • The Proud Breed
  • Beulah Land,
  • Cape Cod
  • The Gold Seekers (The Australians, #7)
John Jakes, the author of more than a dozen novels, is regarded as one of today’s most distinguished writers of historical fiction. His work includes the highly acclaimed Kent Family Chronicles series and the North and South Trilogy. Jakes’s commitment to historical accuracy and evocative storytelling earned him the title of “the godfather of historical novelists” from the Los Angeles Times and le ...more
More about John Jakes...
North and South (North and South, #1) The Bastard (Kent Family Chronicles, #1) Love and War (North and South, #2) Heaven and Hell (North and South, #3) The Rebels (Kent Family Chronicles, #2)

“He could never be anything more than what he was: the inheritor of weakness and unbridled emotion, a creature possessed by the past, and carrying its curse forever into the future--” 1 likes