Start by marking “Prisoner In Alcatraz” as Want to Read:
Prisoner In Alcatraz

Prisoner In Alcatraz

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Marty is doing life in the hardest prison in America. No-one gets out of Alcatraz. But now there's a new escape plan. Can Marty break out of Alcatraz - or will life mean life?
Published January 1st 2007 by Barrington Stoke (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner In Alcatraz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prisoner In Alcatraz

Jenna Anderson
A High-Low Book – Great for Teenaged Struggling Readers

The Prisoner in Alcatraz in a quick book intended for older, struggling readers. As the mother of a dyslexic teen, I appreciate Stoke Books efforts in this area. Finding titles with high interest content at a lower reading level can be difficult.

I received a complimentary review copy of this title from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This storyline will keep reader's attention. There is enough going on that stude
Andrea Diaz

There's not much I can say about this book. I can barely call it such. It was so short. It could maybe be considered a novella? It's about this poorly educated guy that gets caught up in a robbery that goes wrong. He ends up killing two innocent people and is set up at the trial. He is sent to Alcatraz as if what he's done is really worth a life sentence there. He goes on to tell us about his childhood and living the poor life with his mom, how he rarely attended school yet managed to become
DubaiReader
Great read for reluctant teens,

I first became aware of Theresa Breslin as the author of Remembrance, set in WWI. It was beautifully written and immediately became one of my favourite books. Now I am pleased to read another title by this author, Prisoner in Alcatraz. This book is very different in that it is written for a young adult audience, specifically those who are reluctant readers. It fills this niche well, keeping the interest throughout and providing a story that would attract boys, in p
What first drew me to Prisoner in Alcatraz was that it was written for struggling readers. I hope to one day work as a reading specialist in the upper-elementary or middle school levels to intervene and get kids back on track so any book written for those readers is something I want to get my hands on.

It was a great book; a quick read perfect for those reluctant, struggling readers. The publisher said it’s written for 14-year-olds at a 4th grade level. That seems about perfect! The story was ent
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
Read more of my reviews on my blog, Fluttering Butterflies

Prisoner in Alcatraz by Theresa Breslin is the story of Marty, a young man who has been sent to Alcatraz, the famous prison off the coast of San Francisco in which famous gangsters like Al Capone went to back in the day. I found it really interesting to read of Marty's experiences that led him to become a prisoner in Alcatraz. It really felt like a series of really unlucky choices that led Marty into the criminal life. And those bad choi
Sannie Hald
I received a free digital copy from Stoke Books by requesting on Netgalley.com

It is your right to have: food, clothing, shelter and medical attention. Anything else you get is a privilege.

Welcome to Alcatraz, the most notorious prison in America.

Interest age 14+, Reading age 4th grade. Marty is a young, simple man who dreams of growing tomatoes in the warm sun of Mexico. But he gets himself into a bit of trouble when he agrees to help out a friend and ends up in the hardest prison in America:
Inspired Kathy
I hadn't actually intended to read this one yet. I opened it up on my Kindle just to check it out and found myself pulled into the story and finished it in one sitting.

Prisoner in Alcatraz was a really quick read that would be a good match for a reluctant teenage boy. The fast paced story never lags and keeps the reader engaged. The sentences are short and conversation like.

Excerpt:
I'd heard all the stories of how tough it was.
And about that Rule Five - the food, water, shelter, medical attentio
Jax Holt
This short novel is called Prisoner in Alcatraz and is written by hit author, Theresa Breslin. Overall I'm going to give this a 4.5 out of 5.

The short novel is about a man named Marty King who has been sentenced to Alcatraz she to murder. The murder was planned to be just a robbery but went completely wrong. His friend Jay made everything wrong and this lead to him being sentenced to Alcatraz. While just being there for a short time, Cut Throat Carter, Frank and Taylor come to him to help them e
Joanne
Prisoner in Alcatraz By Theresa Breslin
Marty, a teenager who runs away from a children's home in Chicago, dreams of a life growing tomatoes and peppers in the warmth of California or Mexico are destroyed by 20 seconds of blind panic. Life changes dramatically for Marty, when a bank robbery he’s involved in goes horribly wrong resulting in the deaths of two people which results in Marty receiving a life sentence for murder. . Marty escapes in route to prison and flees in a stolen vehicle across S
I got an ARC of this book through netgalley, although I don't know so much that it's an advanced copy since it looks like it originally came out in 2004.

Anyway, this book was great. It was a very fast read, and I was hooked right away. The action was fast-paced, and I found myself really interested despite the fact that it wasn't my normal genre of choice. Marty was likeable and I truly felt he was a good guy in a bad situation. I was drawn to it based on the fact that it was written for relucta
Angela
Advertised as a quick book intended for older, struggling readers, so there is high interest content but a lower reading level.

The novella is fast-paced and has plenty going on to keep the reader interested. I've read Breslin before (The Nostradamus Prophecy) and loved her writing so was all too glad to see how she handled adapting her writing for struggling readers.

The premise behind this novella is very interesting and I think Breslin has done well. My only niggle is that it is extremely shor
Sally
A very quick and interesting read about (view spoiler) an escape from Alcatraz - the planning, the ins and outs of it all, interesting stuff! I've been to Alcatraz once and can only imagine how grim it would have been to be locked up in there.
Boo A-c
well this was dull. For a book about prison escapes and whole lot of derring do this book is static, dull and overwhelmingly futile. such a shame
Ms. Novotny
This book was too short to have a great plot.
Bill
This is an excellent short novel to use with kids who don’t like to read or who have problems reading. It is powerful, moves right along, and
there is plenty material here for good discussions and perhaps some
short writing or dictating to writing projects. I am glad that at
least one publisher is aware of this need – hopefully we will see more
novels like this one in the future for these kids – and adults – who
would like to read but find most books too long or not exciting or meaningful enough to
Brooke (i blog 4 books)
I love the idea behind this book - to give older kids who have difficulty reading a book appropriate for their age but a little simpler to read. I think the author accomplishes the goal pretty well. The story is good and kept me interested. Besides, what kid wouldn't be interested in a story about a prisoner at Alcatraz?! I'm interested to see how the author progresses from here. [4 stars]

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for my fair and honest rev
Jill Cd
I thought this was a well done hi lo book. Interesting, allows for discussion about mistakes, responsibility, poverty, and peer pressure . This book would be a good option for reluctant readers.
Lindsey Blake
I really enjoyed reading this book - it is a good read and a sad and cautionary tale. However I do feel that it is not quite right for the target audience of reluctant and struggling readers. The language is a little too complicated, the story flicks between the past and present and some of the concepts are rather tricky. Working with lots of EAL kids I doubt this book would be suitable for them but it was a lovley read!
Brenda
As a librarian I am always trying to find great quick reads that will hold a middle schooler's, who hates to read, interest. Prisoner in Alcatraz does just that.

Having just visited Alcatraz in Dec 2012 I found this book to a very realistic account of the history of Alcatraz.

Keep up the great work creating high interest low level books that doesn't add language to catch the students attention!
Pat
Ideal for the reluctant reader this short novel was quite engrossing. Breslin's historical research is impeccable and the voice of the young man was such that I had to keep reading.
Raihana
Suitable YA for reluctant readers in Sec school. There is no end moral in the book, i.e. theme of boy turns over a new leaf not prominent so will need to be discussed if used.
Stargazer
Great for those kids who have difficulty reading 'big' books but don't want 'babyish' stories. I'd probably recommend it to 12year old boys who fall into that category.
Renae
Fair. Good for struggling readers, with a very fast pace. Lacks development--where is it written that books for struggling readers have to have thin development?

Tessie
Jul 26, 2011 Tessie added it
Shelves: borrowed
I must say that this book was really good, if I'd said something else, It would be a lie.
Lisa
Great book for struggling readers!
Joonis Sheikh
Joonis Sheikh marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Theresa Breslin was born and brought up in Kirkintilloch, a small town in central Scotland. She is the recipient of the Carnegie Medal, Britain's most prestigious children's book award, for Whispers in the Graveyard, and her books for young people receive critical acclaim and appear regularly on children's book award short lists in the United Kingdom. A longtime librarian, Breslin was awarded life ...more
More about Theresa Breslin...
Remembrance The Medici Seal Prisoner of the Inquisition The Nostradamus Prophecy Divided City