Start by marking “The Road to Corlay” as Want to Read:
The Road to Corlay

The Road to Corlay (The White Bird of Kinship #1)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  110 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
On the Eve of the Fourth Millennium a slowly-building civilization, struggling out of the rubble of the Drowning, was crushed beneath the sceptor of a powerful and repressive Church. But on the Eve of the Fourth Millennium the sound of a magical pipe was heard, and the air was filled with songs of freedom and enlightenment. And on the Eve of the Fourth Millennium the Boy a ...more
Published April 17th 1986 by Orbit Books/Futura Publications (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Road to Corlay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road to Corlay

Terry
Aug 24, 2011 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was I not included on the memo that mentioned this guy? How have I never heard of him? Whatever the case may be, Richard Cowper (aka John Middleton Murry, Jr.) is a fine writer. My edition of this book includes both the title novel and the novella "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" which introduces us to the world and specific circumstances that will drive the conflict of the novel.

This is a story in the post-apocalyptic pastoral vein, a sub-set of the genre that I am finding is a lot more common
Ghoule
Jul 28, 2013 Ghoule rated it did not like it
La Route de Corlay est de ces livres qu'il faut avoir recherché pour vraiment apprécier, à moins d'avoir les dispositions spirituelles nécessaires ou l'intérêt pour ce type de construction narrative.

Personnellement, je m'attendais à un récit de science-fiction métissé de fantasy dans un cadre postapocalyptique, un sous-genre typique du milieu du XXe siècle. Ce récit à le défaut (ou la qualité, selon le point de vue) de se servir de ce décor pour y greffer une histoire de rébellion spirituelle da
Kerry
Dec 18, 2013 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 9, fantasy, reread, 2013
I read this series back in the 1980s. Going on the sense memory of one passage and the room I feel I was in, I can figure it was when I was at university, probably about 1987 or 1988. I know I enjoyed them and when I saw they were no available as ebooks, I was delighted to buy them and plan a reread. It's taken me a few years to decide this is the moment, but I'm really glad I did.

I had thought they were published in the 80s too, but a look at the copyright dates (I went and found my paper copie
Gregoire
Feb 16, 2015 Gregoire rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, fantasy
un mixte de fantaisie avec projection temporelle et fond de mysticisme Cela date certes (publié dans les années 70/80) mais parle déjà du réchauffement climatique ... Très bien écrit avec ce qu'il faut d'actions et de personnages attachants Je me suis laissé embarqué et ai hâte de prolonger l'aventure avec le T2 et T3 qui je l'espère seront de la même qualité En plus, c'est court (environ 200 pages) ce qui ne gâte rien à mon avis l'auteur restant concentré sur l'essentiel et évitant les digressi ...more
John
Nov 10, 2014 John rated it liked it
1981 grace C-

Series book K1
Carlton
Feb 21, 2016 Carlton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Includes the short story "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn", originally collected in The Custodians, which introduces the White Bird of Kinship.
A beautifully realised version of a pastoral, semi-medieval post-apocalyptic (global warming) future set in Britain, with "flash backs" to the present. The vision of the future created by "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" is extended in the subsequent novel, but it is the believability of that initial vision that elevates this story above the ordinary.
Erik Graff
Dec 31, 2009 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cowper fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
Pseudonymously written by John Middleton Murry, Jr., The Road to Corlay is the first volume of what became The White Bird of Kinship trilogy, comprising A Dream of Kinship (1981) & A Tapestry of Time (1982). It made little impression on me.
Chilly SavageMelon
Crossover science fantasy isn't my favorite genre, but Cowper does a decent enough job of it. The "science" is very 1975, but the alternate world is well played and plausible. The intro novella is especially enjoyable.
Sue
Jan 19, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing
With the Piper at the Gates of Dawn included as a prologue this is a fascinating exploration of how a new religion gets launched. The characters, especially Jane, are appealing and the plot straightforward.
David Hirt
Jan 07, 2011 David Hirt rated it really liked it
Good religious fiction in that it is fiction about a religion that is not Christianity though there are ties. It isn't a book written to be fiction in a Christian world.
Tanya
Jul 05, 2012 Tanya rated it really liked it
I remember really enjoying this book.
bluetyson
The Road To Corlay by Richard Cowper
Cate
Cate added it
Apr 26, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Christopher York
Christopher York marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Grashtel
Grashtel marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Manoiu Marius
Manoiu Marius rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Nguyen Hong Hien
Nguyen Hong Hien marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Jonathandh
Jonathandh marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Larissa
Larissa marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Ush
Ush marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Steve Wasling
Steve Wasling rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Hillery
Hillery marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Carlton
Carlton rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Pierre Croonenberghs
Pierre Croonenberghs rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
  • The Devil Is Dead
  • And Chaos Died
  • The Byworlder
  • Half Past Human
  • Temporary Agency (Unquenchable Fire, #2)
  • Light Music (Nanotech, #4)
  • Juniper Time
  • Good News from Outer Space
  • Deserted Cities of the Heart
  • The Jagged Orbit
  • To Crush the Moon (The Queendom of Sol #4)
  • The Exile Waiting
  • What Entropy Means to Me
  • Against Infinity
  • Celestis
  • Redshift Rendezvous
  • The Masks of Time
  • Eternity's End (Star Rigger, #5)
Pen name for John Middleton Murry, Jr.
More about Richard Cowper...