Start by marking “The Road to Corlay” as Want to Read:
The Road to Corlay

The Road to Corlay (The White Bird of Kinship #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  11 reviews
On the Eve of the Fourth Millennium a slowly-building civilization, struggling out of the rubble of the Drowning, was crushed beneath the sceptor of a powerful and repressive Church. But on the Eve of the Fourth Millennium the sound of a magical pipe was heard, and the air was filled with songs of freedom and enlightenment. And on the Eve of the Fourth Millennium the Boy a ...more
Published April 17th 1986 by Orbit Books/Futura Publications (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Road to Corlay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road to Corlay

Terry
Was I not included on the memo that mentioned this guy? How have I never heard of him? Whatever the case may be, Richard Cowper (aka John Middleton Murry, Jr.) is a fine writer. My edition of this book includes both the title novel and the novella "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" which introduces us to the world and specific circumstances that will drive the conflict of the novel.

This is a story in the post-apocalyptic pastoral vein, a sub-set of the genre that I am finding is a lot more common
Ghoule
La Route de Corlay est de ces livres qu'il faut avoir recherché pour vraiment apprécier, à moins d'avoir les dispositions spirituelles nécessaires ou l'intérêt pour ce type de construction narrative.

Personnellement, je m'attendais à un récit de science-fiction métissé de fantasy dans un cadre postapocalyptique, un sous-genre typique du milieu du XXe siècle. Ce récit à le défaut (ou la qualité, selon le point de vue) de se servir de ce décor pour y greffer une histoire de rébellion spirituelle da
Kerry
I read this series back in the 1980s. Going on the sense memory of one passage and the room I feel I was in, I can figure it was when I was at university, probably about 1987 or 1988. I know I enjoyed them and when I saw they were no available as ebooks, I was delighted to buy them and plan a reread. It's taken me a few years to decide this is the moment, but I'm really glad I did.

I had thought they were published in the 80s too, but a look at the copyright dates (I went and found my paper copie
Gregoire
un mixte de fantaisie avec projection temporelle et fond de mysticisme Cela date certes (publié dans les années 70/80) mais parle déjà du réchauffement climatique ... Très bien écrit avec ce qu'il faut d'actions et de personnages attachants Je me suis laissé embarqué et ai hâte de prolonger l'aventure avec le T2 et T3 qui je l'espère seront de la même qualité En plus, c'est court (environ 200 pages) ce qui ne gâte rien à mon avis l'auteur restant concentré sur l'essentiel et évitant les digressi ...more
John
1981 grace C-

Series book K1
Erik Graff
Dec 31, 2009 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cowper fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
Pseudonymously written by John Middleton Murry, Jr., The Road to Corlay is the first volume of what became The White Bird of Kinship trilogy, comprising A Dream of Kinship (1981) & A Tapestry of Time (1982). It made little impression on me.
Chilly SavageMelon
Crossover science fantasy isn't my favorite genre, but Cowper does a decent enough job of it. The "science" is very 1975, but the alternate world is well played and plausible. The intro novella is especially enjoyable.
Sue
With the Piper at the Gates of Dawn included as a prologue this is a fascinating exploration of how a new religion gets launched. The characters, especially Jane, are appealing and the plot straightforward.
David Hirt
Good religious fiction in that it is fiction about a religion that is not Christianity though there are ties. It isn't a book written to be fiction in a Christian world.
Tanya
I remember really enjoying this book.
bluetyson
The Road To Corlay by Richard Cowper
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Louise
Louise added it
Feb 23, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Ginger Hewitt
Ginger Hewitt marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Phil R
Phil R marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Pete R.
Pete R. marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Devil Is Dead
  • And Chaos Died
  • Juniper Time
  • Half Past Human
  • The Jagged Orbit
  • Light Music (Nanotech, #4)
  • Deserted Cities of the Heart
  • Good News from Outer Space
  • Celestis
  • Against Infinity
  • Eternity's End (Star Rigger, #6)
  • Picoverse
  • The Embedding
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Mars Crossing
  • To Crush the Moon (The Queendom of Sol #4)
  • The Year of the Quiet Sun
  • Black Easter (After Such Knowledge, #2)
Pen name for John Middleton Murry, Jr.
More about Richard Cowper...
The Twilight of Briareus Clone A Tapestry of Time A Dream of Kinship Time Out of Mind