The Road to Corlay

The Road to Corlay (The White Bird of Kinship #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  9 reviews
On the Eve of the Fourth Millennium a slowly-building civilization, struggling out of the rubble of the Drowning, was crushed beneath the sceptor of a powerful and repressive Church. But on the Eve of the Fourth Millennium the sound of a magical pipe was heard, and the air was filled with songs of freedom and enlightenment. And on the Eve of the Fourth Millennium the Boy a...more
Published April 17th 1986 by Orbit Books/Futura Publications (first published 1978)

Terry
Was I not included on the memo that mentioned this guy? How have I never heard of him? Whatever the case may be, Richard Cowper (aka John Middleton Murry, Jr.) is a fine writer. My edition of this book includes both the title novel and the novella "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" which introduces us to the world and specific circumstances that will drive the conflict of the novel.

This is a story in the post-apocalyptic pastoral vein, a sub-set of the genre that I am finding is a lot more common...more
Ghoule
La Route de Corlay est de ces livres qu'il faut avoir recherché pour vraiment apprécier, à moins d'avoir les dispositions spirituelles nécessaires ou l'intérêt pour ce type de construction narrative.

Personnellement, je m'attendais à un récit de science-fiction métissé de fantasy dans un cadre postapocalyptique, un sous-genre typique du milieu du XXe siècle. Ce récit à le défaut (ou la qualité, selon le point de vue) de se servir de ce décor pour y greffer une histoire de rébellion spirituelle da...more
Kerry
I read this series back in the 1980s. Going on the sense memory of one passage and the room I feel I was in, I can figure it was when I was at university, probably about 1987 or 1988. I know I enjoyed them and when I saw they were no available as ebooks, I was delighted to buy them and plan a reread. It's taken me a few years to decide this is the moment, but I'm really glad I did.

I had thought they were published in the 80s too, but a look at the copyright dates (I went and found my paper copie...more
Erik Graff
Dec 31, 2009 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cowper fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
Pseudonymously written by John Middleton Murry, Jr., The Road to Corlay is the first volume of what became The White Bird of Kinship trilogy, comprising A Dream of Kinship (1981) & A Tapestry of Time (1982). It made little impression on me.
Chilly SavageMelon
Crossover science fantasy isn't my favorite genre, but Cowper does a decent enough job of it. The "science" is very 1975, but the alternate world is well played and plausible. The intro novella is especially enjoyable.
Sue
With the Piper at the Gates of Dawn included as a prologue this is a fascinating exploration of how a new religion gets launched. The characters, especially Jane, are appealing and the plot straightforward.
David Hirt
Good religious fiction in that it is fiction about a religion that is not Christianity though there are ties. It isn't a book written to be fiction in a Christian world.
Tanya
I remember really enjoying this book.
bluetyson
The Road To Corlay by Richard Cowper
M. E.
M. E. marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Mitchell
Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
JT
JT marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Prometeus
Prometeus marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Brian Schkerke
Brian Schkerke marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Coby
Coby marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 22, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Pen name for John Middleton Murry, Jr.
More about Richard Cowper...
The Twilight Of Briareus Clone A Tapestry Of Time (Volume 3 of the White Bird of Kinship) A Dream of Kinship Time Out Of Mind