Start by marking “Summerhouse Time” as Want to Read:

Summerhouse Time

Every year a rented pink cottage full of family, swapping stories, and riding waves mean Summerhouse Time for Sophie. Best of all is sharing a room with her favorite cousin and laughing and trading secrets like two happy peas in a cousin pod. Sophie can't wait! But when she asks the now-a-teenager Colleen if she's looking forward to their time together, Colleen just says " ...more
Published May 22nd 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Summerhouse Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summerhouse Time

Dawn
Dec 29, 2008 Dawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: gscba
Excitement builds for eleven-year-old Sophie as she anticipates her favorite time of year, summerhouse time. Every August her mother, father, aunts, uncles and cousin rent a beach house for a month. This year though, things are different. Her father seems troubled, her favorite cousin ignores her and the boy that she thinks that she’s in love with isn’t writing her back (no email at the summerhouse) and she’s learning Italian. Spinelli’s story is filled with warmth and a true love of family. She ...more
Erin Forson
Nov 29, 2011 Erin Forson rated it really liked it
By Eileen Spinelli
When I was younger my family used to go and hang out at family get-togethers, cook out, and go to amusement parks. I had older cousins who were my BFFs, and then suddenly, it's like they outgrew me and didn't want anything to do with me; I never could understand that. And neither can Sophie. Every year her family joins the rest of her cousins and aunts and uncles at a beach house, and they pretty much party the summer away. But things are changing, and Sophie wo
Lucy
Jun 27, 2015 Lucy rated it really liked it
This book was very touching. I could really relate to how Sophie felt. It was amazing to see how their summer was rocky at first, but soon became the best summer ever.
Sophie and her family go on a trip every summer. They call it Summerhouse Time. Her cousins join her, and they always have a good time. Sophie hates change, so when things don't go as smoothly as always, she gets worried.
Her favorite cousin Colleen is angry with the world, her Aunt loses her job, and her dad is acting funny. To top
SRT Lotrario
Nov 16, 2016 SRT Lotrario rated it it was amazing
I will give you a summery they go to stay at there summer house but sophies best cousin has been acting weird she loses her cat what could be worse will she have a fun summer or will it be the worst.
Katie Fitzgerald
Summerhouse Time is a novel in verse about a girl named Sophie, who is counting the minutes until she and her family go to their summer house for the month of August. She's looking forward to hanging out with her cousin, Colleen, who was her best friend last summer, and she thinks a vacation will help her dad, who seems really stressed.

When she gets to the summer house, however, things are not exactly as Sophie expected them to be. Colleen isn't interested in hanging out with her at all, and Sop
babyhippoface
Apr 08, 2008 babyhippoface rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 4th grade girls
Shelves: kids-fiction
A nice, quick read written in free verse and extolling the blessing of family to help you through the hard times.

Sophie is a terrific character--kind, patient with her younger cousin Tammy, just on the verge of "young love," and loving life. And what a terrific family. I realize the whole "extended family loves each other and all get along" scenario might seem a little "out there" to some people, but there really are families like that out there. Spinelli's is one, as she mentions on the back ja
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Kellie
Another of those "hidden gem" books I discovered at work. I actually saved this book from being withdrawn for non-circulation by checking it out. :D

I liked this. Sophie is a sweet character, and after everyone gathered at the summer house, the reader really starts to feel like a part of the family.

My one complaint was I felt that Sophie's dad's panic attacks weren't explained enough as to the reason he was having them in the first place. Why was he having stress and anxiety? It started before h
Sara Truog
Apr 23, 2013 Sara Truog rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile, book-club
Delightful juvenile novel in verse about a girl's favorite time of year: the summer, when she goes on a beach vacation with her extended family. Loved this, found it a quick read that reminded me of my own summer vacations with family, and am planning to read it with my library book club this August. I'm afraid the boys will stage a mutiny, however - there's a little bit of girly first love sort of stuff...
Angela Kidd Shinozaki
Apr 27, 2010 Angela Kidd Shinozaki rated it really liked it
A sunny, fun quick read filled with humor and just a touch of melancholy. Like a great big family reunion memory stuck between the pages. I did find it a little hard to keep track of all the relatives, but I suppose that is typical of any big family ;-) And although I liked the short, free verse poems that make up the story, sometimes I was left feeling like there were details I was missing. But all in all, a great summertime, beach blanket book!
Ana
Oct 02, 2010 Ana rated it really liked it
I just love the worlds that Eileen Spinelli creates through her writing... the cozy environments and the close bonds between family members she describes so simply and yet beautifully in her poems... the joyful feelings all of these mental images evoke in me. I truly cherished the time I got to spend with this book.
Carissa
Apr 28, 2008 Carissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
this is a nice, light little poetry-prose book about a girl who is at that age when you realize that life isn’t always simple and easy. nothing really terrible happens to her, but she just notices that life isn’t perfect. i remember that summer in my own life. it was nice to read that perhaps the experience is universal. delightful summertime images as well.
Ann Williams
An oldie but a goodie. I could relate to the setting as I love to go to our beach house. There are many talk worthy points in this story which could lead to some pretty interesting persuasive essays.
Bonnie
Aug 29, 2013 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and thought that the multiple chapters were well written depite being very short. The auther provided enough details for each character to make this a well-rounded story. This would be a great book to help young readers become used to longer length novels.
Faith Hough
Jul 18, 2015 Faith Hough rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, poetry
Probably 3.5 stars, really, but I am really really picky about novels in free verse, so keep that in mind. On the whole, a very sweet and honest contemporary family summer story with a lovable protagonist.
Beth
Nov 02, 2015 Beth rated it it was amazing
Just love the way this author writes in verse. Dancing Pancake also great. Easy to read and comprehend. Easy to recommend to potentially reluctant readers. Has been a hit with 3rd-5th graders. I will look for more by this author.
Libby
Apr 21, 2011 Libby rated it really liked it
I can't quite remember when I read this, but it was an ARC from ALA 2007 that stayed on my bedside table for a little while...so I'm estimating.

Great story (in verse) about a favorite family tradition, how it changes as you grow up, and the particular worries and reliefs of one summer.
Linda
Jun 17, 2012 Linda added it
I wish I go visit the Summerhouse and spend some time like this with family. Sounds like a blessed time. Thanks to my 8 year old granddaughter for recommending the book when she was here visiting me.
Katherine
this is a great poetry book that i enjoyed at the beach!!
Bailey
Apr 22, 2013 Bailey rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, verse-novel
Recommend to Rachel.
Kary
Jul 27, 2014 Kary rated it really liked it
It's been a stressful couple of days, so I reached for a comfort book - Eileen Spinelli fills the bill! She is definitely one of my favorite children's lit authors! Loved everything about this book!
Roro
Mar 15, 2014 Roro rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book it teaches you everyone makes mistakes but what you do to fix them if you pick the right choice and get punished or just forget about it and be a terrible roll model!
Green303
It was a good book, though it was written in a unique way. An interesting book about families joining together and having fun. :)
Shelley
Aug 23, 2013 Shelley rated it it was ok
Beach book for children--not bad, fluffy, a quick read...
Kayla
Sep 28, 2015 Kayla added it
i think the book is fun.
Erin
Jun 17, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It is a great book about a summer vacation and family. I read it when I go to the beach each year. I never get tired of it!
Jill
Jul 04, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
For Laurel, but for later. The story is good, but I'd like L to be older before we talk about some of what happens here...
Amanda
Dec 19, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
Delightful.
Alexandria
this book i enjoyed because it is funny and sad.
colleen
Jul 13, 2008 colleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth
i enjoyed this fun little book a lot and had my 8-year-old read it, too!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Like Carrot Juice on a Cupcake (Eleanor, #3)
  • Hugging the Rock
  • 42 Miles
  • Planet Middle School
  • Ophie Out of Oz
  • Little Dog, Lost
  • Shakespeare Bats Cleanup (Shakespeare Bats Cleanup, #1)
  • The Fourth Grade Wizards
  • Fairy School Dropout
  • The Way a Door Closes
  • Empire State of Slime (The Zombie Chasers #4)
  • The Braid
  • Gone Fishing: A Novel in Verse
  • Just Grace Walks the Dog (Just Grace, #3)
  • The Nancy Drew Sleuth Book: Clues to Good Sleuthing (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #0)
  • The Summer Sherman Loved Me
  • Life, Starring Me! (Candy Apple #18)
  • Red Butterfly
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.
More about Eileen Spinelli...