3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Every year a rented pink cottage full of family, swapping stories, and riding waves mean Summerhouse Time for Sophie. Best of all is sharing a room with her favorite cousin and laughing and trading secrets like two happy peas in a cousin pod. Sophie can't wait! But when she asks the now-a-teenager Colleen if she's looking forward to their time together, Colleen just says "...more
Published May 22nd 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2006)

Out of the Dust by Karen HesseLove That Dog by Sharon CreechInside Out & Back Again by Thanhha LaiHate That Cat by Sharon CreechSummerhouse Time by Eileen Spinelli
Best MG Novels in Verse
5th out of 42 books — 16 voters
Crank by Ellen HopkinsIdentical by Ellen HopkinsImpulse by Ellen HopkinsBurned by Ellen HopkinsGlass by Ellen Hopkins
Novels in Verse
164th out of 179 books — 473 voters

More lists with this book...

babyhippoface
Apr 12, 2008 babyhippoface rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: 4th grade girls
Shelves: kids-fiction
A nice, quick read written in free verse and extolling the blessing of family to help you through the hard times.

Sophie is a terrific character--kind, patient with her younger cousin Tammy, just on the verge of "young love," and loving life. And what a terrific family. I realize the whole "extended family loves each other and all get along" scenario might seem a little "out there" to some people, but there really are families like that out there. Spinelli's is one, as she mentions on the back ja...more
Dawn
Dec 29, 2008 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: gscba
Excitement builds for eleven-year-old Sophie as she anticipates her favorite time of year, summerhouse time. Every August her mother, father, aunts, uncles and cousin rent a beach house for a month. This year though, things are different. Her father seems troubled, her favorite cousin ignores her and the boy that she thinks that she’s in love with isn’t writing her back (no email at the summerhouse) and she’s learning Italian. Spinelli’s story is filled with warmth and a true love of family. She...more
Erin Forson
By Eileen Spinelli
When I was younger my family used to go and hang out at family get-togethers, cook out, and go to amusement parks. I had older cousins who were my BFFs, and then suddenly, it's like they outgrew me and didn't want anything to do with me; I never could understand that. And neither can Sophie. Every year her family joins the rest of her cousins and aunts and uncles at a beach house, and they pretty much party the summer away. But things are changing, and Sophie wo...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Roro
This is such a great book it teaches you everyone makes mistakes but what you do to fix them if you pick the right choice and get punished or just forget about it and be a terrible roll model!
Kellie
Another of those "hidden gem" books I discovered at work. I actually saved this book from being withdrawn for non-circulation by checking it out. :D

I liked this. Sophie is a sweet character, and after everyone gathered at the summer house, the reader really starts to feel like a part of the family.

My one complaint was I felt that Sophie's dad's panic attacks weren't explained enough as to the reason he was having them in the first place. Why was he having stress and anxiety? It started before h...more
Katie Fitzgerald
I felt sort of neutral about this book as I was reading. I really like novels in verse, but after reading The Dancing Pancake a few months ago, this book didn't feel like it covered anything different. Both are stories of girls witnessing change in their lives and trying to cope with it. Bindi in The Dancing Pancake was perhaps more spirited and proactive than Sophie, but both girls experience similar emotions and challenges.

Read my full review on my blog: http://sharingsoda.blogspot.com/2011/.....more
Angela Kidd Shinozaki
A sunny, fun quick read filled with humor and just a touch of melancholy. Like a great big family reunion memory stuck between the pages. I did find it a little hard to keep track of all the relatives, but I suppose that is typical of any big family ;-) And although I liked the short, free verse poems that make up the story, sometimes I was left feeling like there were details I was missing. But all in all, a great summertime, beach blanket book!
Sara Truog
Delightful juvenile novel in verse about a girl's favorite time of year: the summer, when she goes on a beach vacation with her extended family. Loved this, found it a quick read that reminded me of my own summer vacations with family, and am planning to read it with my library book club this August. I'm afraid the boys will stage a mutiny, however - there's a little bit of girly first love sort of stuff...
Carissa
this is a nice, light little poetry-prose book about a girl who is at that age when you realize that life isn’t always simple and easy. nothing really terrible happens to her, but she just notices that life isn’t perfect. i remember that summer in my own life. it was nice to read that perhaps the experience is universal. delightful summertime images as well.
Ana
I just love the worlds that Eileen Spinelli creates through her writing... the cozy environments and the close bonds between family members she describes so simply and yet beautifully in her poems... the joyful feelings all of these mental images evoke in me. I truly cherished the time I got to spend with this book.
Libby
I can't quite remember when I read this, but it was an ARC from ALA 2007 that stayed on my bedside table for a little while...so I'm estimating.

Great story (in verse) about a favorite family tradition, how it changes as you grow up, and the particular worries and reliefs of one summer.
Bonnie
I really enjoyed this book and thought that the multiple chapters were well written depite being very short. The auther provided enough details for each character to make this a well-rounded story. This would be a great book to help young readers become used to longer length novels.
Linda
Jun 17, 2012 Linda added it
I wish I go visit the Summerhouse and spend some time like this with family. Sounds like a blessed time. Thanks to my 8 year old granddaughter for recommending the book when she was here visiting me.
Erin
I loved this book. It is a great book about a summer vacation and family. I read it when I go to the beach each year. I never get tired of it!
Green303
It was a good book, though it was written in a unique way. An interesting book about families joining together and having fun. :)
Jill
For Laurel, but for later. The story is good, but I'd like L to be older before we talk about some of what happens here...
Holli
I thought it was just a little boring though. I do reccomend it if you want to go to sleep.
Josie
This book is awesome! I've read it so many times and I still could read it again!
colleen
i enjoyed this fun little book a lot and had my 8-year-old read it, too!
Katherine
this is a great poetry book that i enjoyed at the beach!!
Danette
Sep 20, 2011 Danette rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: mg
A full story, summery and true, narrated in verse.
Hadley
I LOVED this book, I just wish it had more of an ending.
Shelley
Beach book for children--not bad, fluffy, a quick read...
Super cute family story told in verse.
Madison
This was a cute story.
Bailey
Recommend to Rachel.
Deepali
what a great book!
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.
More about Eileen Spinelli...
Where I Live Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch The Dancing Pancake Silly Tilly Sophie's Masterpiece: A Spider's Tale