Start by marking “The Heiress (Montgomery/Taggart, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Heiress (Montgomery/Taggart, #11)

The Heiress (Montgomery/Taggert #11)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,041 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
An impoverished Norman knight, Jamie is assigned to escort Axia, the Lancaster heiress, to her betrothed. But Axia is bent on enjoying her last moments of liberty before her contractual marriage takes place. Suddenly, Jamie realizes that he is falling in love with this beauty, and he must contrive a daring plan to win her freedom and her defiant heart.
Published December 1st 1995 by Pocket Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Heiress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heiress

The Bride by Julie GarwoodA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtThe Secret by Julie GarwoodRansom by Julie GarwoodHonor's Splendour by Julie Garwood
Best Medieval Romance Novels
71st out of 453 books — 856 voters
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBet Me by Jennifer CrusieWallbanger by Alice ClaytonMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsNatural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Humorous Romance Books
489th out of 2,382 books — 5,433 voters

More lists with this book...

Slavena
Mar 22, 2011 Slavena rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who likes romance books
First book I have read by the author. I enjoyed it. I could not put it down, I love finding new authors for myself and this one is great.

The heroine, Axia– spitfire at its finest, smart, beautiful and can do a lot of things, dialogue is awesome. He had me laughing so many times. It has been a while that a heroine has gotten under my skin like that.

The hero, Jamie was charming impoverished earl who is in desperate need of money but is very proud to ask for help from relatives. I liked his honesty
3houd
May 22, 2016 3houd rated it did not like it
^^^^
The paragraph above is written on the back cover of the book, and it's very misleading. This book is filled with switched identities, child cr
Anamaria
Jan 03, 2014 Anamaria rated it it was amazing

I just loved it!

image

Kelly
Apr 13, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it
I am going to write the same thing for the Taggart and Montgomery series of Jude Deveraux. First, I can't believe that I read these books because they are so blatantly bodice rippers (not my style at all). And second, and more importantly, I devoured them all! Here is the scoop: We stopped at a friend's house in Tennessee on the last leg of one of our cross country trips about 11 years ago and I had run out of books. She gave me three of Deveraux's books in the Montgomery series and I kindly too ...more
thao vi
Apr 26, 2015 thao vi rated it really liked it
4 stars.

I quite enjoyed this romance novel. Jude deveraux writes with such description that the reader can not help but be drawn into the world she has woven.
The heroine is very likeable with her sassy nature and the hero is prince charming without the wealth.

A very well written book with likeable characters.

Thank you author for the enjoyable read :)
Inola Clemmons
Jun 25, 2013 Inola Clemmons rated it it was amazing
When I was in high school, I was suspended for two weeks due to a fight I got into with a close friend. During that time, my sister gave me this book and told me to occupy my time with something. I read the book within a few hours and then I re-read it immediately. It was my first romance novel and probably the first book that I read for pleasure since I was child.

It was because of the setting of this book that I pursued a degree in Medieval History. I absolutely love this book. It has been 18 y
Pamela(AllHoney)
Listed as the seventh book in the Montgomery series by Jude Deveraux. It really is a stand-alone book set in Elizabethan England. Jamie Montgomery is to escort the Lancaster heiress, Axia, to her betrothed. Axia has spent her life cloistered and guarded. Now she has freedom of sorts and wants to experience so much of what she has been denied.

A fun, humorous read. Lovable characters and a delightful plot.
Cori
Aug 27, 2016 Cori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romances, 2016
4.75/5
Wow, all I can say is wow. This is the third book by Jude Deveraux that I have read, and I'm finding that each one has managed to pull me in and entrance me more than the last! The way she weaves the story, the uncertainty that lingers until the last pages, the amazing way that she manages to take a good, solid ending and transform it into a jaw-dropping, book-changing ending, all of these are some of the things that I love about her writing. Her stories do follow the classic romantic nove
Jen
May 05, 2016 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-chic-lit
Jamie Montgomery has been away from his family for years. As a knight, he's been tasked with protecting the queen, and when he arrives home, he realizes that the family fortune is gone and the house is in shambles. His two sisters and his mother have been scrimping to survive. Jamie has been commissioned to lead the Maidenhall heiress to her fiance and his sisters decide that he must make her fall in love with him so her money can be used to bring the estate back to it's former glory.

Axia Maiden
Lizzy
Dec 27, 2014 Lizzy rated it it was amazing
Simplesmente maravilhoso. Divertido, envolvente, bem escrito, romântico, cativante...Esse romance é tudo isso. A heroína Axia é incrível, louquinha, viveu presa a vida inteira e quando tem a oportunidade de conhecer a vida fora das suas muralhas, apronta muito. O herói Jamie é um fofo, sensível, íntegro, uma mistura de masculinidade e doçura, um soldado pronto para matar e ao mesmo tempo que sucumbe diante das lágrimas femininas. Ah, sem falar que ele é um conde pobre que deseja casar por amor, ...more
Kathleen Spiker
Mar 24, 2008 Kathleen Spiker rated it it was amazing
It starts out kind of boring and slow, but it starts to pick up after like the third Chapter. It makes you sit on edge all the way to the end of the book. The end of the book makes you just want to cry because of how happy it ends. I would recommend this book to anyone
Niki
Aug 23, 2012 Niki rated it really liked it
I love Jude Deveraux's books because they are fast, fun and easy to read romances. I love The Heiress because the setting in ancient English times with castles and all.
Maria Sanigan
May 25, 2013 Maria Sanigan rated it it was amazing
The introduction to the story was of Joby, James Montgomery's youngest sister, making a jest out of their poor state. The jest did not caught my attention at first. As usual, when something is not surprising me of Miss Jude Deveraux's introduction to the story, I always want to jump from that chapter and find something that will caught my attention. For short, I would want to find something interesting.

However, I did not skip pages. I did not skip a single word for I HONESTLY knew that there is
Nikki
Apr 07, 2014 Nikki rated it it was ok
Whaaat? I liked the princess of this series but this one was not good. The only thing I like was her switching identities. Other than that it was too crazy. Too much going on. The sisters, the traveling but never getting anywhere. The end…uh all wrapped up in a random bow…no didn't like that. And it got physical for a weird random reason early in the book. Not a good read.
jj
Jan 31, 2011 jj rated it it was ok
I know the mere basis of reading such a book is for fairytales and happy endings but oh man was this way too much

Everything just seemed to happily fall into place at the end. I quite liked the secondary characters infinitely better than Axia. Axia, especially at the end, seemed like such a blind, ignorant child. The author tried too hard to make the reader like her that it became very hard to do so. There are so much back-stories in the book and scenes that would have been more interesting than
Hany Grace
Jun 14, 2016 Hany Grace rated it really liked it
another must-read historical romance of my favorite author :) . it was sweet but i didn't give it a 5 because i find Axia a bit coquettish especially when she went to the tent at first and etc and i hate flirts so I'm a bit against it . I still loved the story cause its romantic and all ;) !
Pat
Aug 16, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it
Deveraux uses her classic romantic setup: they met and are attracted but instantly the animosity begins. The fun is seeing the events which turn them into lovers. There are many twists and turns in the plot but the author's humor is always present.
Andrea Jackson
Jul 12, 2011 Andrea Jackson rated it liked it
This is a low 3. I like Ms. D's writing and the characters were portrayed well. But certain things about this book just didn't resonate with me. It may be a matter of changing romance culture. I liked Jamie and could believe he was in love. But poor little Axia was just a little too pliant and young. She didn't expect or evidently get much completion in the bedroom. She went around trying to please everybody else. And I didn't like her father at al1. (view spoiler) ...more
Gabbe
Jul 22, 2015 Gabbe rated it it was amazing
Oh, dear good. I loved it. Nunca imaginé el final, realmente me sorprendió muchísimo. Me encantó la forma de ser de ambos, pero más de Axia XD y su #ComercianteModeOn xD
Ashley Stoyanoff
Sep 26, 2012 Ashley Stoyanoff rated it it was amazing
The first time I read this book I think I was 17. Since then, it has been my fall to book, and something I have and will continue reading over and over. It just never gets old for me.

Deveraux truly has a way with words. She paints an awesome picture with the use of dialogue instead of description. I found that this technique brings me so much further into the story, and before I know it, I've finished it again.

The characters are wonderful and enchanting. And one part, in particular, had me laugh
Richelle
Mar 03, 2014 Richelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

Great book!

If you are looking for a fun book to read don't pass this one up. I loved it. You will too!
Brandy
Jul 26, 2015 Brandy marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mudpie
Jan 31, 2015 Mudpie rated it liked it
Funny heroine and hero with great support cast. I have not had a great satisfactory ending from a Jude Deveraux book in a long time. But at least this one has all loose ends tied and all live HEA.
Ubi
Feb 08, 2013 Ubi rated it liked it
Finished! I give it 3 star because of the time taken to read it. Actually this book was good. I just think recently I lost interest in reading historical romance.

For summary I would say Jamie was the hero and he is a good looking man and Axia is the heroin. James has the name but not money and Axia has both of of them.

Jamie have been given a task to take care the Maidenhall which is Axia. Meanwhile, Axia switch the character with her cousin Frances as Maidenhall. The story also revolves around
Carolyn
Nov 06, 2015 Carolyn rated it liked it
It was cute, but I got to what I thought should be the end and I was only 2/3 of the way through
Kathryn
May 16, 2016 Kathryn added it
Shelves: romance
Pretty sure this was my introduction to the genre more than a decade ago.
Anan
Apr 06, 2015 Anan rated it it was amazing
A book which leaves you spellbound and stunned at the plot!
Demelza
Jan 14, 2015 Demelza rated it really liked it
This was an Old Skool-style romance that was a delight to read - switching identities, a clever heroine with skills and not "classically beautiful." The end left me with a happy sigh.
Jennifer Shea
Dec 27, 2012 Jennifer Shea rated it really liked it
I reread this after a ten-year hiatus. Reminiscent of the historical romances I loved when I was younger. Kind and plain good hero and a feisty heroine. I do remember the first time I read the book and again ten years later I thought there really wasn't a real CONFLICT in the book. There were no big tearful moments, nothing that truly made me think the hero and heroine would be torn apart forever. In that way, it was too predictable and I never had the heart wrenching emotion that I hope to have ...more
Sunandini
Aug 21, 2016 Sunandini rated it did not like it
Preposterous. So many loopholes
  • Rosehaven (Medieval Song, #5)
  • Wild (Medieval Trilogy, #2)
  • Joining (Shefford's Knights, #2)
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first bo
More about Jude Deveraux...

Montgomery/Taggert (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Black Lyon (Montgomery/Taggert, #1)
  • The Duchess (Montgomery/Taggert, #2)
  • The Temptress (Montgomery/Taggert, #3)
  • The Raider (Montgomery/Taggert, #4)
  • Mountain Laurel (Montgomery/Taggert, #5)
  • Sweet Liar (Montgomery/Taggert, #6)
  • Wishes (Montgomery/Taggert, #7)
  • The Princess (Montgomery/Taggert, #8)
  • Eternity (Montgomery/Taggert, #9)
  • Someone to Love (Montgomery/Taggert, #10)