Start by marking “The Raider (Montgomery/Taggert, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Raider (Montgomery/Taggert, #4)

The Raider (Montgomery/Taggert #4)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  4,505 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
Jude Deveraux continues her beloved Montgomery saga in America with this dramatic, passion-filled tale of rebellion and love -- a breathtaking adventure to be savored all over again -- or discovered for the first time!

The Raider

In colonial New England, the British are hunting a fearless, masked patriot whose daring foils them at every turn. He's known simply as the Raid
Published April 30th 1991 by Pocket Books (first published June 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Raider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Raider

Kate Julia
Jul 24, 2012 Kate Julia rated it really liked it
The first romance novel I ever read, at the tender age of 12, was Jude Deveraux’s Velvet Promise. I immediately finished the series. Swooned repeatedly. And then devoured her backlist. Once I finished her books, I went through Julie Garwood, Judith McNaught and Elizabeth Lowell, then onward to Lisa Kleypas and Julia Quinn. Later, I would branch out to contemporaries, paranormal romance, urban fantasy and erotica, but it was Jude who started it all.

Somewhere between High Tide and The Summerhouse,
Zuray
Jul 30, 2012 Zuray rated it did not like it
The worst Heroine I have yet had the misfortune to meet...
Usually, Im on the 'meh ,nothing to do so I'll just read this, with Jude Dev:..But this was just...Ughh!!
There is strong, and then there is mean and bitchy, and not to forget, just shallow and unkind. (view spoiler)
Lisa
Feb 29, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
I'm pretty sure I probably read this when I was 12 or 13, along with every other Jude Deveraux book I could get my hands on. However, I didn't remember it at all so it was like reading it for the first time. Jude Deveraux was the only historical romance author I'd ever read until this year, when I was recommended Lisa Kleypas and Judith McNaught.

All I know is that I get wrapped up in the ridiculous situations that occur in these books. I don't think I'm ever as entertained as I am when I read a
Susan (susayq ~)
Gosh. I just don't even know where to begin with this one. The first half of the book was good. I laughed and the adventure in it was fun. But then, for the next 40% of the book, I wanted to chunk it across the room into the wall! It dragged in parts. It was horrifically stupid in parts. I wanted to slap both Jessica and Alex/the Raider. When a resolution was finally in sight, it improved again and became fun and funny once more.

I won't be running out to read anything else in this series, but I
Mandy
Jul 20, 2015 Mandy rated it it was ok
I love Jude Deveraux & I love books from this era of romance writing (bodice rippers, if you will), but The Raider was a huge disappointment. I remember reading this when I was younger & liking it, but on this reread I have to say the two main characters are some of the shallowest, most self-absorbed people I've ever read about.

Jessica is OBSESSED with looks to the point of laughing at Alex for gaining weight and Alex is no better. He bemoans the way everyone sees him when he's in his A
Christine
Jun 26, 2012 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Alexander Montgomery returns to the colonies from travels abroad, only to discover the his hometown of Warbrooke, Maine has been tainted by the increasing British threat -- people are losing their property and their livelihood to lies and greed. Eager to do something, Alexander dresses himself as "The Raider" at night, but then, so he won't get caught and hanged, disguises himself as a far peacock during the day.

Jessica Taggert, who knew Alexander from their youths, makes a fool of him when he
Kelly
Apr 13, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it
I am going to write the same thing for the Taggart and Montgomery series of Jude Deveraux. First, I can't believe that I read these books because they are so blatantly bodice rippers (not my style at all). And second, and more importantly, I devoured them all! Here is the scoop: We stopped at a friend's house in Tennessee on the last leg of one of our cross country trips about 11 years ago and I had run out of books. She gave me three of Deveraux's books in the Montgomery series and I kindly too ...more
Aarann
Jan 12, 2015 Aarann marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

Found this at the annual library booksale. Can we TALK about what is happening on this cover? Why are they making out next to a poor disembodied horse's head? What's happening with her hair? Are they underwater? In the middle of a typhoon? Is her hair stylist an anime character? I want to read this solely based on the cover!!!

Oh! And while trying to find that image, I also found this. I see I am not alone in my delighted confusion. http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/20...
August
Apr 23, 2016 August rated it liked it
The story itself was okey, and most of the characters are favorable. BUT meet Jessica, one of the shallow, pathetic and headstrong(due to dumbness beyond saving) heroine I've ever read about so far. After finishing Jude Deveraux's Highland velvet I was so annoyed at the stubborn dim-witted heroine I decided to take a break from the 'velvet series' and read something with a more likable main character only to find myself disappointed again! Jessica was ungrateful, unreasonable and lack half amoun ...more
Innailana
Jan 11, 2014 Innailana rated it liked it
"Old skool" doesn't even begin to describe this book. The rapey sex scenes, the characters that make no sense, the idiotic "plot", the dialogue....... The reason I have it three stars as that it is reasonably well-written despite the above flaws, that as an example of eighties romance it is not particularly offensive or egregious, and that it has a certain nostalgia for me. I'm not sure it would be three stars without it.
Amanda
Dec 07, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
The Raider was one of the first romance novels I read and I long considered it a favorite. I read it again and downgraded it from five stars to 3.5. I adore the supporting characters, from Sophy, Nick, Abby and her mother and young Nate. I love the pre-Revolutionary war setting.
I did not like the threat of rape, and Alex and Jessica annoyed me.
Michelle Connolly
This has probably been one of the most ridiculous romance novels I have ever read. It even felt like reading some kind of parody... BUT I could not put it down. It did a hell of a job entertaining me.
Queenberly
Final feeling: a shallow woman who belittles and insults her husband and a hero who threatens to rape the woman he loves? No thank you.

This could have been a great story. I'm disappointed and disgusted at characters created by Ms. Deveraux.
Jasmin
I just relived my love for this author.

My friends, is there a book especially for Eleonor and Nick? Help please!! I cant seem to find it :/
Nana Yaa Yeboah
Mar 22, 2017 Nana Yaa Yeboah rated it it was amazing
I want to read again...yhup! Its that fantastic!
Kathy
Dec 10, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it
1766, Warbrooke, Maine... Montgomerys in America, prerevolutionary... the three Montgomery men have gone out into the world, but at home, father has been in an accident and is paralyzed from the waist down... and his only daughter mistakenly married the English customs rep who is now bilching the montgomery's wealth and abusing the colonists... the sister sends out letters to her brothers to return home and rescue them...]]

The Taggarts are " the town joke. they were used to contrast to everyone'
MJ
Aug 30, 2016 MJ rated it liked it
To see review with gif and overall rating click here.

This is sort of a weird one to read. Honestly, if we’re going to be objective it deserves one big fat star, if even that. It’s pretty horrible with bad characterizations, bad pacing, and a feeling of the book not being completely resolved—because I would’ve liked a little more fall out after the reveal—when it ended. BUT, BUT this is one of those cases the tropey goodness of the romance ran out and made it an enjoyable crack read. The thing is
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Okay, I'm giving this 3 stars... mostly for the entertainment value. This book is messed up, but I did laugh my way through it (I don't think the humor was necessarily intentional on the author's part), so 3 stars it is.

Fairly positive Alex was developing a split personality disorder. He kept referring to The Raider as a separate person, even when talking to his friend that knows about him being the Raider. I did enjoy Alex making fun of the Raider, and the Raider making fun of Alex in return.
Anna Marie
Nov 21, 2013 Anna Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah back to the Colonial Americas for... the exact same story I already own, only written by Kathleen Woodiwiss. The story I have takes place in Medieval England, but it's the exact same story as this one.

Girl hates guy. Guy loves girl. Guy disguises himself as swash-buckling, zorro-esque hero to right the wrongs of their setting. Girl swoons for hero. Guy also wants her to love him for himself, so he disguises himself as a distasteful, ugly, decrepit man and somehow wrangles her into a marriage.
Sol González
Sep 03, 2016 Sol González rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2007
Este libro es algo especial, porque al mismo tiempo que continúa la descendencia Montgomery dando tumbos y haciendo de las suyas... comienza una nueva familia que vendrá a desarrollar en América: la familia Taggert.

Los Taggert son la segunda familia más importante de Deveraux (teniendo en cuenta que no desarrolla muchas y que incluso sólo conozco estas dos). A partir de este momento la familia Montgomery comienza a tomar forma como una familia aristocrática, dedicada, como no, a mejorar la raza.
Cindy
May 07, 2016 Cindy rated it it was ok
Historical romance set in 1766 America. Copyright 1987. My fragile, well read copy is from that year. This is a Zorro rip off, set in Colonial America. This is the story that unites the Montgomery & Taggart families. I give it 2 stars, instead of 1, because at one time this was a favorite reread. It's been probably 20 years since I last read it.

Well, JD was my favorite author in the 80's. I have quite a few of her books still to reread & so far have been disappointed. Her stories just
Pixelinchen
Drucilla
Feb 01, 2013 Drucilla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: d
I like that this take on Zorro is set during the American Revolution. It makes the story really interesting. All the characters are great. The only problem I had character-wise was with Jessica, for about 50 pages midway through the novel. She was just so frustrating. Afterwards, though, she made up for it and I liked her again. (view spoiler) ...more
Diane
Sep 28, 2009 Diane rated it it was ok
This was basically a good love story, and there were a couple of moments when you were afraid the secret was going to be out. I really loved the way the Americans pulled together in the end--true American spirit.

I didn't really feel that the female lead character seemed "real" for the time period in which she was placed, although I'm sure that there must have been some women like her, or we never would have had any changes in women's roles in society.

I would liked to have gotten to know some of
Christine
Jul 03, 2012 Christine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
Gosh, I have such memories of this book. It was the first trashy romance novel I ever read. I snuck it from my mother's book pile and read it in my room in my reading spot underneath my bed. Oh, it was absolutely titillating to my sixteen year old self. A friend loaned me this book recently, because I was in dire need of brain candy. This story totally fit the bill.

It was interesting to re-read this over twenty years later. While the story was ridiculous fun, I have definitely grown up and somet
Jen
Oct 25, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
The British are hunting a masked patriot known as The Raider and Jessica Taggert has drawn his interest. A proud beauty with a quick temper, Jessica has been trying to support her family with very little money. When Alexander Montgomery comes home to try to help his town, no one knows he's the Raider since he's in disguise as a fat, lazy arrogant know it all. When he sets out to win Jessica as both Alex and the Raider he gets more than he bargained for and finds himself competing with himself. T ...more
Cyndi Muñoz moreno
El corsario!, como resistirse a la idea de ser salvada por un hombre atractivo, encantador y el rostro oculto bajo un antifaz. Oh! Alexander Montgomery me ha hecho reír cuando debía ocultar su identidad bajo todo esa fachada que describe el libro y luego, me ha enamorado cuando por las noches vestido del corsario, desbordaba pasión y deseo cuando se encontraba con Jessica.

Uno de los primeros libros que compré en descuentos y rústico, no le tenía fe pero hoy es uno de mis favoritos, me gusta com
Tatrd
Apr 12, 2011 Tatrd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-hb
Alexander Montgomery & Jessica Taggert
Alex has been sailing for 4 years when his sister begs him to return to pre-civil war America (1766) because her husband is abusing his position as commissioner for the English. Alex is appalled at the soldier's treatment of colonists and dresses up to get revenge on some soldiers. He saves a lady and "The Raider" is now hunted. Alex was shot and has to dress as a big, fat, lazy, ornate fop. Jessica hates Alex for his charity to her family when they were
Naapio
Oct 01, 2012 Naapio rated it really liked it
This is my favourite Deveraux book so far and my guilty pleasure. I love the idea of a masked hero and a smartmouth heroine and though the story is quite straightforward as most romance novels are it is well written and makes me laugh. The characters and dialog are hilarious and the sex scenes are smoking hot as you can expect from a Deveraux book.

I even asked my husband to read it and he said it was okay but he would never publicly admit it.
  • Night Shadow (Night Trilogy, #2)
  • Savage Thunder (Wyoming, #2)
  • Midnight Masquerade (Louisiana #6)
  • My Fair Temptress (Governess Brides, #8)
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first bo
More about Jude Deveraux...

Montgomery/Taggert (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Black Lyon (Montgomery/Taggert, #1)
  • The Duchess (Montgomery/Taggert, #2)
  • The Temptress (Montgomery/Taggert, #3)
  • Mountain Laurel (Montgomery/Taggert, #5)
  • Sweet Liar (Montgomery/Taggert, #6)
  • Wishes (Montgomery/Taggert, #7)
  • The Princess (Montgomery/Taggert, #8)
  • Eternity (Montgomery/Taggert, #9)
  • Someone to Love (Montgomery/Taggert, #10)
  • The Heiress (Montgomery/Taggart, #11)