The Raider

The Raider (Montgomery/Taggart #4)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  3,443 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Jude Deveraux continues her beloved Montgomery saga in America with this dramatic, passion-filled tale of rebellion and love -- a breathtaking adventure to be savored all over again -- or discovered for the first time!
The Raider
In colonial New England, the British are hunting a fearless, masked patriot whose daring foils them at every turn. He's known simply as the Raid...more
Published April 30th 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1987)

Kate Julia
The first romance novel I ever read, at the tender age of 12, was Jude Deveraux’s Velvet Promise. I immediately finished the series. Swooned repeatedly. And then devoured her backlist. Once I finished her books, I went through Julie Garwood, Judith McNaught and Elizabeth Lowell, then onward to Lisa Kleypas and Julia Quinn. Later, I would branch out to contemporaries, paranormal romance, urban fantasy and erotica, but it was Jude who started it all.

Somewhere between High Tide and The Summerhouse,...more
Lisa
I'm pretty sure I probably read this when I was 12 or 13, along with every other Jude Deveraux book I could get my hands on. However, I didn't remember it at all so it was like reading it for the first time. Jude Deveraux was the only historical romance author I'd ever read until this year, when I was recommended Lisa Kleypas and Judith McNaught.

All I know is that I get wrapped up in the ridiculous situations that occur in these books. I don't think I'm ever as entertained as I am when I read a...more
Angelfire
The worst Heroine I have yet had the misfortune to meet...
Usually, Im on the 'meh ,nothing to do so I'll just read this, with Jude Dev:..But this was just...Ughh!!
There is strong, and then there is mean and bitchy, and not to forget, just shallow and unkind. (view spoiler)...more
Christine
Alexander Montgomery returns to the colonies from travels abroad, only to discover the his hometown of Warbrooke, Maine has been tainted by the increasing British threat -- people are losing their property and their livelihood to lies and greed. Eager to do something, Alexander dresses himself as "The Raider" at night, but then, so he won't get caught and hanged, disguises himself as a far peacock during the day.

Jessica Taggert, who knew Alexander from their youths, makes a fool of him when he...more
Kelly
I am going to write the same thing for the Taggart and Montgomery series of Jude Deveraux. First, I can't believe that I read these books because they are so blatantly bodice rippers (not my style at all). And second, and more importantly, I devoured them all! Here is the scoop: We stopped at a friend's house in Tennessee on the last leg of one of our cross country trips about 11 years ago and I had run out of books. She gave me three of Deveraux's books in the Montgomery series and I kindly too...more
Anna Marie
Ah back to the Colonial Americas for... the exact same story I already own, only written by Kathleen Woodiwiss. The story I have takes place in Medieval England, but it's the exact same story as this one.

Girl hates guy. Guy loves girl. Guy disguises himself as swash-buckling, zorro-esque hero to right the wrongs of their setting. Girl swoons for hero. Guy also wants her to love him for himself, so he disguises himself as a distasteful, ugly, decrepit man and somehow wrangles her into a marriage....more
Kathy
1766, Warbrooke, Maine... Montgomerys in America, prerevolutionary... the three Montgomery men have gone out into the world, but at home, father has been in an accident and is paralyzed from the waist down... and his only daughter mistakenly married the English customs rep who is now bilching the montgomery's wealth and abusing the colonists... the sister sends out letters to her brothers to return home and rescue them...]]

The Taggarts are " the town joke. they were used to contrast to everyone'...more
Pixelinchen
Heather Wales
This was a good quick read. I can always count on Jude Deveraux when I'm in a funk. She, as always, includes enough history to make the story feel genuine and her characters are always fun to read. There was plenty of romance, humor and a some action. It was a little predictable and the characters were pretty formulaic, but I read these books for lighthearted enjoyment, not to be challenged intellectually, so I think it was just right.
Michelle Connolly
This has probably been one of the most ridiculous romance novels I have ever read. It even felt like reading some kind of parody... BUT I could not put it down. It did a hell of a job entertaining me.
Susan
This is the book that got me hooked on both Jude Deveraux, and on reading in general. I couldn't wait to read her next novel, and that hasn't changed in all these years.
Innailana
"Old skool" doesn't even begin to describe this book. The rapey sex scenes, the characters that make no sense, the idiotic "plot", the dialogue....... The reason I have it three stars as that it is reasonably well-written despite the above flaws, that as an example of eighties romance it is not particularly offensive or egregious, and that it has a certain nostalgia for me. I'm not sure it would be three stars without it.
Drucilla
I like that this take on Zorro is set during the American Revolution. It makes the story really interesting. All the characters are great. The only problem I had character wise was with Jessica, for about 50 pages, midway through the novel. She was just so frustrating. Afterwards, though, she makes up for it and I liked her again. (view spoiler)...more
Christine
Gosh, I have such memories of this book. It was the first trashy romance novel I ever read. I snuck it from my mother's book pile and read it in my room in my reading spot underneath my bed. Oh, it was absolutely titillating to my sixteen year old self. A friend loaned me this book recently, because I was in dire need of brain candy. This story totally fit the bill.

It was interesting to re-read this over twenty years later. While the story was ridiculous fun, I have definitely grown up and somet...more
Diane
This was basically a good love story, and there were a couple of moments when you were afraid the secret was going to be out. I really loved the way the Americans pulled together in the end--true American spirit.

I didn't really feel that the female lead character seemed "real" for the time period in which she was placed, although I'm sure that there must have been some women like her, or we never would have had any changes in women's roles in society.

I would liked to have gotten to know some of...more
Susan (susayq ~)
Gosh. I just don't even know where to begin with this one. The first half of the book was good. I laughed and the adventure in it was fun. But then, for the next 40% of the book, I wanted to chunk it across the room into the wall! It dragged in parts. It was horrifically stupid in parts. I wanted to slap both Jessica and Alex/the Raider. When a resolution was finally in sight, it improved again and became fun and funny once more.

I won't be running out to read anything else in this series, but I...more
L.
A "M'eh" read. I give it 2.5 stars. I will at least admit to LOL at the slapstick ending.
Tatrd
Alexander Montgomery & Jessica Taggert
Alex has been sailing for 4 years when his sister begs him to return to pre-civil war America (1766) because her husband is abusing his position as commissioner for the English. Alex is appalled at the soldier's treatment of colonists and dresses up to get revenge on some soldiers. He saves a lady and "The Raider" is now hunted. Alex was shot and has to dress as a big, fat, lazy, ornate fop. Jessica hates Alex for his charity to her family when they were...more
Cyndi Muñoz moreno
El corsario!, como resistirse a la idea de ser salvada por un hombre atractivo, encantador y el rostro oculto bajo un antifaz. Oh! Alexander Montgomery me ha hecho reír cuando debía ocultar su identidad bajo todo esa fachada que describe el libro y luego, me ha enamorado cuando por las noches vestido del corsario, desbordaba pasión y deseo cuando se encontraba con Jessica.

Uno de los primeros libros que compré en descuentos y rústico, no le tenía fe pero hoy es uno de mis favoritos, me gusta com...more
Debbie
I love good romance novels that capture my heart, but "The Raider" by Jude Devereaux did not fall into the category of good romance novels. I recognize that it was written at a time when romance novels were classified as bodice rippers, but it was pretty poorly written and relied far too much on the virile ma/poor helpless besotted waif motif. I don't recommend the book due to a highly predictable plot (think Scarlet Pimpernel), unlikeable characters, and poor writing.
Naapio
This is my favourite Deveraux book so far and my guilty pleasure. I love the idea of a masked hero and a smartmouth heroine and though the story is quite straightforward as most romance novels are it is well written and makes me laugh. The characters and dialog are hilarious and the sex scenes are smoking hot as you can expect from a Deveraux book.

I even asked my husband to read it and he said it was okay but he would never publicly admit it.
Gen
Dec 13, 2011 Gen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Melanie
Loved it! The ending was especially good.
Diana
Jul 05, 2012 Diana rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mature adults that read erotic fiction and are interested in colonial America
This is probably one of my favorites from Jude Deveraux. I loved learning more about her fictional Montgomery family from the Colonial Era, but I have to admit, I have a weakness for history from that time. Otherwise, it's fairly well written and the story captures the imagination fairly well.

One word of warning however, there are some circumstances that require a pretty hefty suspension of disbelief.
Red Austin
Indeed, this was a very enjoyable and rather exciting novel to read! Fortunately, tears not of sorrow but of deep joy came as I laugh with every scene Miss Jude Deveraux wrote.

Then again, I'm coming to the conclusion that the Montgomerys can NEVER ever be defeated. They are indeed a very heroic and romantic group of people. I can't wait to read more of them through the Montgomery Series.

GOD BLESS!
valee
This book was not as good as the rest in this series.
The story was just like the Zorro movie. Seriously, exactly the same. The only variant was that the hero and the heroine where married since the beginning and that she took forever to realize what was going on.

Being that said, there has to be something about these books because once I start reading them I can't stop until I finish.
Matthew Francis
hmmm one of the few romancey reads I've touched... i liked it.
Myrna Beaini
This book is so funny, it was embarrassing to read in public.All I know is that I got wrapped up in the ridiculous situations that occur in this book,I don't think I was ever as entertained. Predictable but if your looking for an easy book with humor and set in regency period this is the book for you.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Listed as the first in the Taggert series and the eighth in the Montgomery series by Jude Deveraux. Set in the American colonies, prior to the American Revolution. I liked it but didn't love it. One of those books that has its moments but not enough to rate it higher than I have.
Mandy
I want to read this book again. This is one of my favorite JD books. It is a romance but turned upside down as most of it is from the guys POV as he is trying to win the girl. There are a lot of funny moments. I've got to find it again!
  • A Holiday of Love (Westmoreland, #3.5)
  • Secret Song (Medieval Song, #4)
  • No Other Man (No Other, #1)
  • Scandalous Love (deWarenne Dynasty -Publication Order, #2)
  • Savage Thunder (Wyoming, #2)
  • Beguiled (Clan Mackenzie, #4)
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first bo...more
More about Jude Deveraux...
A Knight in Shining Armor The Black Lyon The Velvet Promise Highland Velvet Velvet Angel