Start by marking “Heart: A Personal Journey Through Its Myths and Meanings” as Want to Read:
Heart: A Personal Journey Through Its Myths and Meanings

Heart: A Personal Journey Through Its Myths and Meanings

"The Italians have a musical notation not found in any other language: tempo giusto 'the right tempo.' It means a steady, normal heat, between 66 and 76 on the metronome. Tempo giusto is the appropriate heat of the human heart."

One of the preeminent literary artists of our time turns her attention, her profound insight, and her passion to humankind's most enduring, importa
Published January 9th 2001 by William Morrow (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart

Not Godden's usual but I enjoyed it. It's different -- it's difficult to describe. Still I think if you like Godden to start then you will likely enjoy exploring this out of the norm little book from her.

Here's my original post on CR about this book:

A serendipitous purchase -- and the first non-fiction work by one of my favorite authors. I was lost in it from the start and enjoying every moment
of it.

An examined journey of review through history, mythology, art, religion of the conceptions of the
Josephine Ensign
Jan 09, 2016 Josephine Ensign rated it did not like it
A squishy mess of a book which was exasperating to read. Godwin attempted to weave together personal narrative with random snippets of history and medicine. An admirable attempt, but the result is more of an embarrassing Sunday School lesson of a quickly made scrapbook than a coherent 'real' book.
Jan 18, 2016 Elise rated it liked it
Shelves: relationships
This is not necessarily a book about personal experiences; it follows the cultural significance of the heart from ancient civilisation to now. The personal touches to the writing, however, is what makes this book so complete and fulfilling.
Karen Douglass
Jan 28, 2014 Karen Douglass rated it liked it
An impressive and well written history of the way we think of heart in all its gory glory. I like Godwin's personal approach to what might otherwise be a dreary march through data.
Nov 13, 2013 Marlene rated it liked it
I'm not sure what I think. It was sort of a research having to do with the heart in its many forms throughout a long period of time. The author read a lot of material in order to write this book. She researched the use of "heart" in ancient times, in poetry, in art, in literature, even in her personal life. We know that emotions are generated in the brain, yet, to this day, we refer to the heart to describe them. All around the world this is true. In ancient times it was true. It is an interesti ...more
Dec 16, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
I enjoyed the beginning and the end. The middle was muddled?
Mar 12, 2014 Francine rated it really liked it
I especially liked the first half of this book.

The heart is an essential muscle in the body but it is also linked to spirit. A careful reading will yield an eclectic reading list.
Ellen Marcolongo
Dec 29, 2012 Ellen Marcolongo rated it really liked it
Could have been better organized. An interesting summary of the heart through mostly the liberal arts and religion.
Feb 05, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it
Just read this again. I think it was my 4th time. This is a great book.
Grady Ormsby
Feb 10, 2010 Grady Ormsby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Interesting historical perspectives. Somewhat rambling.
Deeon marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Hollis marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Jay rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Carlos Baeza
Carlos Baeza marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Olga M.
Olga M. rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Judy rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
JJ is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2016
Ann rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Susan rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Genia marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Theresa rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Terri FL
Terri FL marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
jean added it
Jan 20, 2016
Karen added it
Jan 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Gail Kathleen Godwin is an American novelist and short story writer. She has published one non-fiction work, two collections of short stories, and eleven novels, three of which have been nominated for the National Book Award and five of which have made the New York Times Bestseller List.

Godwin's body of work has garnered many honors, including three National Book Award nominations, a Guggenheim Fe
More about Gail Godwin...