Start by marking “Mark for Everyone” as Want to Read:
Mark for Everyone

Mark for Everyone (New Testament For Everyone #3)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  303 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Tom Wright's eye-opening comments on the Gospel of Mark and what it might mean for us are combined, passage-by-passage, with his fresh translation of the Bible text. Making use of his true scholar's understanding, yet writing in an approachable and anecdotal style, Wright captures the urgency and excitement of Mark's Gospel in a way few writers have..

Tom Wright has underta
Published January 1st 2004 by Westminster John Knox Press (first published January 19th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Mark for Everyone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mark for Everyone

Christopher
Mar 19, 2014 Christopher rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
Mr. Wright continues his multi-volume examination of the New Testament with this single volume on the shortest Gospel story, the book of Mark. Mr. Wright captures the breathless pace that Mark's narrative moves through very well and also encapsulates his own theories and beliefs on the world-changing message of Jesus. His commentary on Mark 15, dealing with the crucifixion of Christ, is not to be missed. However, like his volumes on Matthew and (I'm sure) other volumes in this series, it is defi ...more
Tim
Apr 13, 2012 Tim rated it it was amazing
I have given every one of Wright's for Everyone series I have read five stars (Luke, Romans 1-8, the Prison Epistles), they all have been excellent. Somehow this Mark one seems even more excellent. Maybe it is its appropriateness for the Lenten season through which I accidently read it. Maybe it is Wright's ability to make fresh Mark's familiar stories, and to reveal connections within the entire book and with the Old Testament that make every section insightful, almost revelatory. A wonderful b ...more
Wilhelmina Jenkins
N. T. Wright's whole series "For Everyone" is beautifully done. Essential for bible study for me!
Arukiyomi
Sep 23, 2014 Arukiyomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Wright has done it again with an extremely readable and very accessible translation and commentary on the Gospel according to Mark.

I’m reading my way through the entire set of New Testament commentaries that Wright has produced. Having already finished the two-volume Matthew for Everyone, I made my way to Mark expecting more of the same excellent quality. And I was not to be disappointed.

Wright has such a subtle style. He’s a theological heavyweight professor at St Andrews University in Scot
Glenn Crouch
Mar 02, 2014 Glenn Crouch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Good basic commentary of Mark, with some good items that help us in our Church Bible Study.

Tom Wright's approach is very readable. Given the "everyone" approach and the relative short (compared to other commentaries though 200+ is still good) page count, you get quite a good coverage of Mark and the feel of Mark's "speed" does come through.

Good coverage on the "ending of Mark" as well :)
Feb 03, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Mark has never been my favorite gospel. I felt like it was an abbreviated version of Luke or Matthew that left out some of the most important parts. Now, after reading Wright's explanation of what Mark is doing, I appreciate it in a whole new way. Over and over Wright points out the importance of the order and juxtaposition of different events in Mark. I have a whole new appreciation for the Gospel of Mark.
Adam
Jun 23, 2015 Adam rated it really liked it
This was a great companion to other, more "in-depth" commentaries. Wright was, as you would expect, particularly insightful on the first-century context.
Dennis
Apr 01, 2015 Dennis rated it liked it
3 stars=I liked it.

It's a conversational commentary, hence "for everyone." Wright does a great job at breaking Mark down and not only discussing it but interjected anecdotes from his own life to explain points.

There are much bigger and more in depth studies of Mark (but this one doesn't claim to be either of those) so at times this was too 'surface level'. I say this keeping my previous statement in mind--this is meant as a guide to Mark with notes and a basic commentary at best.

My post may n
Brandon Wilkins
Nov 19, 2014 Brandon Wilkins rated it really liked it
Despite my opinion that he doesn't have a strong grasp on the Reformation, Wright is a very, very good New Testament scholar--and that is manifestly apparent in this winsome, thoughtful, devotional-like study of the Gospel of Mark.

What makes this book so helpful is his consistent concern to tie each passage into the kingdom of God, and his faithful commitment to connecting each passage to the modern audience.

There are places where Roman Catholics and Protestants interpret the text differently, a
David
Apr 25, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another great commentary by NT Wright... gives you enough to think about without being wordy, allowing you to develop your own application for the context you're in.
Bob
Oct 23, 2014 Bob rated it really liked it
NTWright offers a contemporary companion to scripture. He draws on personal reflections, and scripture's story which encourages the reader to think as a contemporary of New Testament community and hear scripture's voice. If you use the companion student handbook, you have the elements for individual and group study.
Josh Skinner
Apr 23, 2014 Josh Skinner rated it really liked it
Readable, engaging, beneficial. Written for the educated layman. Many will take issue with some of his positions, his "new perspective" on justification being one glaring example.

I really enjoyed this work.
Emiley
Mark was the first book of the New Testament that I read in its entirety, and to this day I constantly discover meaning in the text. I am about a third of the way through, and have found that it is well written and provides an easily accessible mix of translation, commentary, and anecdotes. The only issue that I have with it so far is that the translation is a bit awkward for me at times--but maybe that's because I'm not used to British colloquialisms?
Dana
Aug 17, 2012 Dana rated it it was amazing
N.T. Wright brings scripture into reach for everyone with his Everyone series on the Bible. This was the first one I read and now I am working on Romans for Everyone with the workbook. Mr. Wright has an amazing way of bringing scripture to life and helping me to see the ancient through their eyes during their time and make them more like normal human beings. I come away from his books with much more understanding and eager to read another one.
Jan Johnson
Jun 03, 2012 Jan Johnson rated it it was amazing
All of the "For Everyone" books are excellent. Wright chooses a relatively small portion--around 10 verses as lectio divina is usually done--and gives historical and contextual insight. But this scholar has a right brain! In many cases, he invites you into the passage to find yourself. Other times he offers simple application. Also, his fresh translations are delightful.
Ben
Jul 16, 2013 Ben rated it really liked it
This was one of a number of commentaries I read while preaching through Mark. It was quite brief and didn't go into a lot of detail or explanation on some pretty deep passages but offered some insights and alternate takes on other passages some commentaries took for granted. It's a short book and well worth the read.
Adam
Jul 22, 2011 Adam rated it liked it
An incredibly helpful commentary by a great theologian. It's amazing how N.T. Wright can take the finest in New Testament scholarship and make it digestible enough that everyone from pastors, teachers to small group leaders can use his material. Mark is another great selection from the Everyone Series.
Daniel Wright
It's been a long time since I read this, my first venture into Tom Wright's For Everyone series. Although, in fact, I didn't find it all that readable, I did benefit greatly from his scholarly insights and abiding passion for his subject.
Ranoordam
Feb 08, 2014 Ranoordam rated it it was ok
A commentary on the gospel of Mark. But the writer writes from an American perspective adding his own ideas to the text. Things the biblical text doesn't say.
Every chapter starts with an illustrating story. These were nice to read.
Carolynne
Sep 12, 2011 Carolynne rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, religion
Contemporary translation and useful commentary on the book of Mark, passage by passage, by the Bishop of Durham. Readable, scholarly, but not esoteric.
David
Apr 26, 2012 David rated it it was ok
Very light. I much prefer N T Wright as Tom Wright his writing is still clear and easy to read, however, it is rather dumbed down
Jonathan
Jan 26, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Good commentary. N.T. Wright is inspiring, and profound. A great interpretation and understanding of scripture without reformed baggage.
Evan Hays
Oct 21, 2010 Evan Hays rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
I love N.T. Wright. I learned so many things that I hadn't before, but it wasn't overly complicated. Read this series.
ChrisGA
Dec 04, 2015 ChrisGA rated it it was amazing
He has such a gift of explaining Scripture and provoking reader to thoughtful contemplation. Very reader friendly.
Cynthia
Jul 23, 2012 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Excellent study guide through the book of Mark- easy to read and thought provoking
Jeff
May 01, 2013 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Atlas is going through Mark, and this is just about the best commentary I have ever seen.
Valerie
I highly recommend this Everyone series.........worth collecting all.
Dean
Sep 26, 2015 Dean rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Short, to the point, but pretty good commentary.
Aaron
Mar 16, 2010 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Great study on the book of Mark.
Liz
Sep 23, 2012 Liz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: study-reference

Great study.
  • Genesis 1-15 (Word Biblical Commentary #1)
  • Psalms 73-150
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The New Testament and the People of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God, #1)
  • The Gospel of Luke
  • The Message of Romans: God's Good News for the World
  • The Book Of Revelation: A Commentary on the Greek Text (NIGTC)
  • Genesis: A Commentary
  • Romans
  • Commentary on Romans
  • The Epistle to the Romans
  • Romans
  • The First Epistle to the Corinthians
  • The Gospel of Matthew

He also publishes under N.T. Wright.
More about Tom Wright...

New Testament For Everyone (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Matthew for Everyone: Part One, Chapters 1-15
  • Acts for Everyone, Part 2: Chapters 13-28
  • Paul for Everyone Romans: Part One Chapters 1-8
  • Paul for Everyone Romans: Part Two Chapters 9-16
  • Paul for Everyone: 1 Corinthians

“as Christian writers from the very beginning (i.e. Paul) have seen, it is part of normal Christian experience that we, too, should be prepared to agonize in prayer as we await our own complete redemption and that of all creation.” 0 likes