Start by marking “Miss Black America” as Want to Read:
Miss Black America

Miss Black America

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
A dazzling fiction debut from the author of Mama’s Girl, Miss Black America is the warm and tender story of Angela, a young girl growing up in 1970s Brooklyn. Angela goes to school one ordinary day and returns home to find her glamorous and fiercely independent mother gone. Her magician father, Teddo, left to raise Angela alone, insists on keeping Melanie’s disappearance s ...more
Published June 14th 2005 by Broadway Books

To ask other readers questions about Miss Black America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Black America

Black Beauty by Anna SewellDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisTwilight by Stephenie MeyerWhite Fang by Jack LondonDark Lover by J.R. Ward
Light and Dark, Black and White
369th out of 464 books — 31 voters
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. DickTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonEmpire of the Sun by J.G. BallardAmerica (The Book) by Jon StewartLes Misérables by Victor Hugo
Flags
58th out of 99 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen
Jun 17, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: cultural
Every once in a while I go to the library with a short list of books and find one or more of them are checked out. When this happnes I tend to walk up and down the aisles and search for a book that I have never heard of but that looks interesting. Until I got this book that method wasn't working out, I ended up not enjoying the books and feeling like I wasted the effort. This time was completely different though, i loved this book and am so glad I found it.

Great story about a young girl whose mo
Madeline
Jun 07, 2013 Madeline rated it liked it
A thoughtful and well-written coming of age story, Miss Black America is touching and rich. Chambers captures the life of an adolescent girl coming into her own as a poor black girl in Harlem without the guidance of her mother. While I'm not a big fan of "heavy" coming of age stories usually, Chambers weaves a beautiful story filled with gorgeous language representative of both the time and place. Her voice shines through this novel, and imagery which she paints is stunning.

While this book is ty
Wilhelmina Jenkins
Jun 26, 2008 Wilhelmina Jenkins rated it really liked it
This may be the worst title of a very touching book ever. No, this book is not about the Miss Black America pageant or any similar event. This is a very touching coming-of-age novel about a young Black girl whose mother leaves and whose father raises her, and how she tries to understand what has happened. Don't be stopped by the misleading title.
Queen
Jan 23, 2010 Queen rated it it was ok
This is the type of book that you pick up from the library, after having exhausted the same genre of books you normally read, and are now looking for something a bit liter than the heavy, politicals you normally read... A story of a black girls growing up in the 70's - 80's with a single father, Miss Black America felt unfinished. I thought the language of the main character, Angela, was exceptionally poetic. The development of most of the main characters was wonderfully written. There was just ...more
Rebecca
Sep 11, 2014 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: meditative
Beautiful writing, although slowly became apparent that there wouldn't be a central plotline - just a series of small events. That isn't my favorite type of book; I prefer a strong plot. But every time, just as I was getting frustrated, there'd be that one sentence that was just perfect and brilliantly sharp. The last few pages, in and of themselves, added a star.
Sonia Reppe
Aug 27, 2012 Sonia Reppe rated it really liked it
This is a novel that reads like a memoir that reads like a novel. Really-I thought it was a memoir until just now. The Bronx, 1980: the protagonist is recalling that first year without her mom. It's just her and her dad, the magician. I love the father character, very colorful and fully presented. From the pov of an 11-yr old, the tone is earnest, a little hard-edged, earthy. The story is framed by issues and pop culture of the time.
Sheila
Aug 29, 2008 Sheila rated it really liked it
A story about 11 year old Angela, whose mom leaves her and her father. The story follows Angela and her father as they try to manage living without Melanie (Wife & Mother). Also it chronicles how Angelo tries to handle growing up without her mother and continually tries to understand why her mother left them.
Dawn Wells
Sep 08, 2013 Dawn Wells rated it really liked it
Not a pageant book!!
Addy
Addy marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
DelRica
DelRica marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
K
K marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Simone
Simone marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Meghan Womack
Meghan Womack rated it really liked it
May 15, 2015
Fareeda
Fareeda marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Yola
Yola marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Heather Miller
Heather Miller rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Margaret  Kelly
Margaret Kelly marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Princessbubblegum
Princessbubblegum rated it liked it
May 17, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Deborah Mitchell
Deborah Mitchell rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Miciah Bennett
Miciah Bennett rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Medina
Medina marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Veronica Chambers is a prolific author, best known for her critically acclaimed memoir, Mama’s Girl, which has been course adopted by hundreds of high schools and colleges throughout the country. The New Yorker called Mama’s Girl “a troubling testament to grit and mother love… one of the finest and most evenhanded in the genre in recent years.” Born in Panama and raised in Brooklyn, Ms. Chambers' ...more
More about Veronica Chambers...