Start by marking “The Truth Will Set You Free” as Want to Read:
The Truth Will Set You Free

The Truth Will Set You Free

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  386 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
More than twenty years ago, a little-known Swiss psychoanalyst wrote a book that changed the way many people viewed themselves and their world. In simple but powerful prose, the deeply moving The Drama of the Gifted Child showed how parents unconsciously form and deform the emotional lives of their children. Alice Miller's stories about the roots of suffering in childhood ...more
Published August 15th 2001 by Basic Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth Will Set You Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth Will Set You Free

Plain Truth by Jodi PicoultChurch of Lies by Flora JessopThe King of Lies by John HartSecrets and Lies by Christine KeelerLegends, Lies & Cherished Myths of American History by Richard Shenkman
Truth and Lies
14th out of 32 books — 4 voters
Death of a Salesman by Arthur MillerThe Crucible by Arthur MillerThe Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore CooperI Capture the Castle by Dodie SmithThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
Last Names Derived from Professions
186th out of 390 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Jean-Paul Werner Walshaw-Sauter

description

Accurate scholarship can
Unearth the whole offence
From Luther until now
That has driven a culture mad,
From what occurred at Linz,
What huge imago made
A psychopathic god:
I and the public know
What all schoolchildren learn,
Those to whom evil is done
Do evil in return.

W.H. Auden

Alice Miller, born as Alicija Englard (1923 – 2010), was a Swiss psychologist and psychoanalyst, who is best known for her books on child abuse. She was born in Poland into a Jewish family. From 1931 to 1933 the Englard famil
Τζο
Dec 06, 2015 Τζο rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Αυτη πιστευω πως ειναι η πρωτη φορα που διαβαζω ενα βιβλιο ψυχολογιας,απο την αρχη μεχρι το τελος,και το λατρεψα.Μπορω να σου πω με ελαχιστα λογια τι θελει να σου πει το βιβλιο:ΜΗΝ ΧΤΥΠΑΤΕ ΤΑ ΠΑΙΔΙΑ ΣΑΣ.

Η Alice Miller ειναι κατα της σωματικης τιμωριας,αλλα και του εξευτελισμου του παιδιου και αυτο που ειναι ακρετα τρομαχτικο ειναι οτι δεν αναφερεται στην μορφη βιας που ειναι κατακριτεα απο ολους,αλλα σε αυτη που χρησιμοποιουν ολοι οι γονεις.Ελαφρια μπατσακια για να μην κλαιει ή μια σφαλιαρα αν α
Hallie Rose
I'd recommend reading The Drama of the Gifted Child first, if you want something like this title suggests (practical ways of thinking to help overcome childhood injuries, becoming fully "adult"). This book is more a very theoretical supplement to that book and I honestly just think the titles should be switched.
Miller applies micro psychological theories to macro historical events, and vise versa, which is hard for many to swallow.
I see where she's going and must say I'm inclined to agree on m
Charles Goetz
Jan 27, 2013 Charles Goetz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should be read by everyone.
Initially NO
Mar 08, 2014 Initially NO rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crisis-healing
Definitely worth reading if you want to understand how people are affected by past trauma, how people are resistant to change that would help them, how people perpetuate abuses they hate.

I'll give you a few quote here, so you can see some of the things I got out of this book and how the book can validate and release things for psychiatry survivors.

Adherence to the system, so 'to avoid confronting repressed early suffering'. This is the reason why some children who've suffered psychiatric abuse,
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2006
Intriguing, sometimes disturbing, frequently thought-provoking. A book for the layman about the effects of childhood traumas and neglect, the denial that can result, and the continual cycle of repeated violence. One or two inconsitencies and illogical leaps, but very readable; should be read by anyone who is a parent!
Kristen
May 18, 2010 Kristen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I think the theories presented here have some merit, but it wasn't as applicable as I would have liked. The key to overcoming emotional blindness and finding your true adult self is getting in touch with your infancy through really good therapy? Really?
Maria
Sep 20, 2014 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative about the long term effects of physical abuse in childhood. Also case studies of how our mind effects our physical health. It was a little repetitive at times and I feel she really has a vendetta against the Catholic Church to the point that some of the claims she makes are unfounded or at least I could not verify her information. For instance she says that St. Augustine disowned his son and this was possibly the cause of his sons early death. Hmm...In my research on that topic, ...more
Larry
Jan 30, 2009 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent and powerful book for all of us, especially good for information for parents
Jun 17, 2013 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Alice Miller suggests that the Rwandan genocide may have occurred because, she says, Rwandan mothers start disciplining their babies at a young age in order to train them not to poop when they're being carried on their mothers' backs. She argues that Hitler and Stalin became murderous dictators largely because of parental abuse or neglect that they suffered as children. She also relates a number of anecdotes about women with medical problems that mysteriously disappeared as soon as ...more
Anne
Mar 14, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This mainly cuz Tracy might read my babbling when she can't sleep......

Hmmm.......as I was reading my first two Alice Miller books, I was looking forward to perusing others' reviews. I thought I'd find many who blasted her away. Maybe they're all on Amazon, or maybe there are more reviews re: Drama of the Gifted Child, her more famous book.

In any case, she certainly made me think. I'm not sure I totally buy into all of her theories, but then, I don't subscribe to anything in life 100%. I can't h
Gypsysoul_
Nov 20, 2014 Gypsysoul_ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-healing
Unless you are a survivor of corporal punishment this is not the book for you. Her other books focus on emotional healing from not only physically, but emotionally abusive parents, where this one focuses entirely on physical punishment, and is much to jesus-y for me.
Beenish Khan
The text listed more of personal anecdotes and observations, than studies supporting those observations. Still, it does leave you thinking.
Josh
The flowing prose of this book is beautiful. Yet, the content eventually becomes repetitively bland.
Nic
Feb 20, 2015 Nic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. Informative. Useful.
Bonnie
Jan 12, 2009 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reflected as I read. I thought of the physical and emotional abuse, as well as the humiliation I experienced as a child, how much that hurt me, then compared it with the extensive damage done to children throughout the world in the cultures where these things happen on a larger scale. I thought of the terror children experience as a result of war. This book solicited many thoughts and reactions. Although I found it useful, I am not tempted to read any of the other books Alice Miller wrote.
Svetlana Zakharova
обязательное чтение
Diana
Aug 04, 2011 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice Miller has one core thesis, which she revisits and expands upon in each subsequent book. After reading Drama of the Gifted Child and Thou Shalt Not Be Aware, this book seemed a little thin on new content, but is a good reiteration of her basic tenets: treating children badly scars them and to heal, a grown child must face the truth and experience the feelings or be bound to repeat the abuse on others.
Leah Wener-Fligner
A lot more bullshit than I was hoping for. Alice Miller often has a mix of useful things to say, and crackpot psychology pet theories. This one was heavy on the "your childhood trauma gave you cancer", but some of the parent-child dynamics and cycles of screwing each other up were pretty solid.
Chris
May 13, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some parts were a bit round the houses and you could probably condense it down by two thirds but some really good practical insights into transference and how our childhood memories live with us. Not the most scientific, especially the psychosomatic examples but aside from that enjoyed reading.
Katherine Mcknight
The author begins by judging sex to be evil, and she touts self-will as the desirable guide for life. Nowhere do I find trust in God, and this is common for survivors of childhood abuse. Thus, male and female continue on in mutual harm, never able to comfort one another.
Lindu Pindu
May 14, 2013 Lindu Pindu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Very repetitive and you won't find many solutions. But simply recognising a deeply-rooted problem like child abuse is already something.
Rosechimera
Jun 05, 2011 Rosechimera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Informed, but seems mostly like a long public service anouncement short on insight the title eould suggest.
Sanja
Aug 27, 2015 Sanja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to feel better (e.g. anyone)
Autorica je apsolutni genije!
Tamara
Apr 16, 2013 Tamara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I agree with the principles and ideals set forth in this book, the tone is noxious. It spews forth like the diatribe of a zealot and leaves casual readers like myself feeling like if you are not with her you are against her. I would not recommend as an introductory book into the ramifications of corporal punishment.
A. Thurman
Jan 22, 2010 A. Thurman marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
library
Mary Tongel
Mary Tongel marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Ronnie
Ronnie marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Jonlex
Jonlex rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Nozipho Mthembu
Nozipho Mthembu marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
  • Lifeskills for Adult Children
  • An Adult Child's Guide to What's Normal
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • Children of the Self-Absorbed: A Grown-Up's Guide to Getting over Narcissistic Parents
  • The Owl Was a Baker's Daughter: Obesity, Anorexia Nervosa, and the Repressed Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 4)
  • The New Peoplemaking
  • Emotional Unavailability: Recognizing It, Understanding It, and Avoiding Its Trap
  • Healing Your Aloneness: Finding Love and Wholeness Through Your Inner Child
  • Healing from Trauma: A Survivor's Guide to Understanding Your Symptoms and Reclaiming Your Life
  • Healing Developmental Trauma: How Early Trauma Affects Self-Regulation, Self-Image, and the Capacity for Relationship
  • The Emotionally Abusive Relationship: How to Stop Being Abused and How to Stop Abusing
  • The Mindful Path through Shyness: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Help Free You from Social Anxiety, Fear, and Avoidance
  • Inner Gold: Understanding Psychological Projection
  • Too Scared To Cry: Psychic Trauma In Childhood
  • The Gaslight Effect: How to Spot and Survive the Hidden Manipulation Others Use to Control Your Life
  • Walking on Eggshells: Navigating the Delicate Relationship Between Adult Children and Parents
  • Will I Ever Be Good Enough? Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers
  • 4 Weeks to an Organized Life with AD/HD
Psychologist and world renowned author, who is noted for her books on child abuse, translated in several languages. In her books she departed from psychoanalysis charging it with being similar to the poisonous pedagogies, which she described in For Your Own Good .

Miller was born in Poland and as young woman lived in Warshaw where she survived World War II. In 1953 she gained her doctorate in phi
More about Alice Miller...

“He has given ample evidence of qualities hardly any other living statesman has demonstrated to the same degree: the courage to look facts in the face and to seek flexible solutions, respect for others, give-and-take in dialog situations, absence of hypocrisy, a complete absence of grandeur in the conduct of his personal life. He has never been driven by blind self-assertion to make absurd decisions.” 4 likes