Start by marking “Brokenomics: 50 Ways to Live the Dream on a Dime” as Want to Read:
Brokenomics: 50 Ways to Live the Dream on a Dime

Brokenomics: 50 Ways to Live the Dream on a Dime

In Brokenomics, author Dina Gachman shares the lessons she’s learned about how to live large in the cheap seats. Through stories both painfully honest and laugh-out-loud funny that anyone can relate to, Dina reveals all the tricks you need to live the good life without spending a ton of money.

Brokenomics covers the place where economics and everyday life collide. It includ
Published March 24th 2015 by Seal Press

To ask other readers questions about Brokenomics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brokenomics

Yodamom

College party Frat/Sorority house financial guide-ish book or what ? It was humorous in a offensive way but offered little real financial advice.
Offensive. She went to a flea market with her mother where she noted the 300-400 lb people contemplating their leftover pork ribs and Dr. Pepper. Maybe 68% of LA is shallow, materialistic, annoying, flaky, narcissistic, money-hungry, celebrity wannabes? If your boss treats you like crap go ahead and steal from them ? Women selling their eggs,
Dana
May 14, 2015 Dana rated it did not like it
Shelves: terrible, netgalley, dnf, bin, 2015
This book has the the most misleading description that I have ever come across. There are zero tips for how to save money in a practical/frugal way. There is nothing clever or creative in any of the chapters. There are some stale jokes and tired/repetitive stories, but apart from that this book will only cost you money, not save it.

Buy, Borrow or Bin Verdict:Bin

Note: I reviewed this book for free in exchange for an honest review.
Deanna
Dec 30, 2014 Deanna rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, dnf, nonfiction
Amusing and readable, but containing none of the practical advice and wisdom I thought it might.
GONZA
Nov 10, 2014 GONZA rated it it was ok
It's funny and entertaining, but absolutely useless if you are really searching for a cheap way of living.

È simpatico e fa ridere, ma assolutamente inutile se state cercando veramente un libro che offra cosnigli su come vivere nel modo piú economico possibile.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND PERSEUS BOOKS CLUB, SEAL PRESS FOR THE PREVIEW!
Lex
Feb 16, 2015 Lex rated it it was ok
The author was trying desperately hard to be funny and quirky, but it just came off as that: desperate. Advice was recycled tips available anywhere for free (which the author would have recommended anyway so we could save a buck!). Can't say I'd recommend this title.
Martha
Dec 29, 2014 Martha rated it it was ok
I'm not sure if this was meant to be helpful, or humorous. For me, it was neither.
Kyle Nicholas
Oct 06, 2015 Kyle Nicholas rated it did not like it
Skip this one. You'll thank me later.

First, she assumes she's hilarious. She's not. Most of her jokes are lame ducks, leaving you with a sense of, "If there's not a laugh-track like on TV, was I supposed to chuckle?"

Second, the advice she gives should be common sense. Here's a rundown: Don't overspend. Don't use credit cards. Get free stuff when you can. Couch-surf if you want to travel or save money. Get a sugar-daddy/sugar-momma for those inconvenient times when you're sleeping in your van and
Angie
I have to agree with previous reviewers. While highly comedic, this guide is in no way comprehensive if you're looking for worldy tips on how to live cheap in this economy. I liked some quotes referenced, and there was some humor involved (ie stealing toilet paper from your employer), but it's not by any means a guide you can follow for advice, more a humorous way of looking at the economy and some outlandish things people do for money.

*I received a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.
Annice22
Borrowed from Publisher/NetGalley for an honest review.

There was not really a lot of money saving tips in this. Brokenomics was more about the author sharing humorous stories about her experience with money than really informing the reader about ways to save money.
Louise Behan
Jul 13, 2015 Louise Behan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
juvenile humor, and others have done it better.
Laura Stone
Nov 14, 2016 Laura Stone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious! I laughed out loud a few times.
Ina
Sep 22, 2016 Ina rated it really liked it
Super funny
Michelle McBeth
Aug 29, 2015 Michelle McBeth rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
SUMMARY: This is the story of Dina Gachman and many of the tricks she used through her life to survive without much money. Some of her tips include not buying Versace if you aren't a millionaire, take all the free samples you can get, steal toilet paper from work, don't have children--raise a plant instead, don't buy $5 coffees unless you really truly want them, and if it's your thing--get a sugar daddy to pay your way...the list goes on.

THE GOOD: If you like irreverent humor with lots of F bomb
Megan
Jan 15, 2016 Megan rated it liked it
I couldn't really figure out why I liked this book full of word vomit and bad advice until I realized it just read like a funny memoir by someone who doesn't have their shit together any more than I do. When it took a serious nose dive from stats and studies to "let's talk about me," her editor should have considered a rebrand. If it had been marketed as a memoir I probably wouldn't have been so confused about my feelings but also, I probably wouldn't have read it because I don't know who Dina ...more
Cheryl
Dec 16, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Shelves: digital-download
She had some stories, but nothing really jumped out at me as to a way to save money or not be broke. In comparing "broke tales" I like The Broke Diaries by Angel Nissel. Now she was funny, had great stories and I lived off of peanut butter sandwiches, ramen noodles and ice cream sandwiches for a year. Man I was so skinny back then. Any time my grandmother called and asked if I wanted to come over for dinner it was a Yes! Even when she had neckbones, I was not passing up a free meal. Le sigh, ...more
James Pritchert
Oct 02, 2015 James Pritchert rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young people, especially women.
Recommended to James by: 3LeafGroup
This was a funny little book. It is intended for younger people, probably twenties or even late teens. She delivers sound advice on just about every topic while liberally interspersing her personal stories in the book. She is a very funny author and has a way of relaying her life's experiences that made me laugh out loud. Although I am well past the age where any of the advice might be useful, I was able to reflect back on my own life journey and summon some bittersweet memories of some good and ...more
Mamers
Sep 13, 2015 Mamers rated it did not like it
I guess I should have looked into the author a bit more before I started reading. This book is for single twenty somethings with no kids and no responsibilities other than school loans. Putting myself in the shoes of a single twenty something still left me feeling meh about the ideas presented. They are mostly unrealistic and are strictly ideas. There is no actual plan presented for following through on these ideas (except for how to work three jobs and live on a friend's couch for three months ...more
Donna Thorland
Feb 18, 2015 Donna Thorland rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure, I went to film school with the author and have been reading her column for years, so I was really looking forward to the book and excited to get an advanced copy. Brokenomics does not disappoint. The subtitle is firmly tongue in cheek. This isn't so much a thrifty living guide (though the gimlet eyed look at the financial realities of grad school should be required reading for aspiring MFAs) as it is a humorous look at being young and broke in the big city, and anyone who's ever ...more
Jessie
Sep 02, 2016 Jessie rated it did not like it
The worst.

This book should be called "How I Got Through My 20's Without Having a Real Job". Her suggestions to save money include: getting a sugar daddy, live in a car for five years in order to buy a house, and get a plant instead of having children. They should market this as a type of "Confessions of a Shopaholic" type book, not a serious way to save money and create wealth.

Don't take financial advice from someone who tells you to buy shoes instead of invest in the stock market. And save mone
Jamie
Aug 29, 2015 Jamie rated it it was amazing
First off this was in the finance section which seems wrong- it is not really a finance book and the author says that in the book. it's more of a funny look at mistakes about money, things you can relate to if you've ever been broke in your 20's. There's a great section about love and relationships, and the "tips" are not really serious, it's more for the purposes of getting a laugh. It did make me laugh, and if you're looking for a book with real money tips this probably isn;t for you but if ...more
Monica
Aug 15, 2015 Monica rated it it was amazing
So funny and entertaining, especially for those who could use some comedic relief from the woes of money, which is everyone! There are plenty of other books for financial advice, but we all need to pair it with a good laugh. By sharing awkwardly relatable anecdotes, Gachman makes me feel comforted that I'm not the only one who doesn't know everything! For those looking for practical solutions about money, there's plenty of guides out there but please, do yourself a favor and READ THIS BOOK for ...more
Emily Christa
Feb 18, 2016 Emily Christa rated it liked it
Not informative, per se- but very fun. Great ending that referenced how it would be great if life was like the musical Grease. If Danny and Sandy "got real" they would have discussed things like how much money they had, what they planned to do for a job, future student loan debt and how it scared the shit out of them. However, the reality was they were going to drive in their flying car with $14 and take on life together.
Stasha
Mar 01, 2016 Stasha rated it did not like it
Fine if you are a whinging 20 something. There is no practical advice for anyone out of college in this book. The whole book is "look how I survived this long without anyone killing me." All I can think is the author hoped to make money on the book since she's probably still contracting jobs from Craigslist.
Katarina
Mar 30, 2015 Katarina rated it really liked it
Hilarious to read, and written more tongue-in-cheek, than a step-by-step guide to living the dream on a dime.

This book made me laugh a few times, and in between there are some decent, solid tips on how to safe money, but it's not really a guide to live your life by. It's well worth the read, and besides the entertainment value, there are good ideas.
Nikki
Dec 02, 2015 Nikki rated it it was ok
Shelves: 100-in-2015
Not what I thought it was, as in didn't really have financial advice and wasn't really funny. Maybe I'm just too old for it, but don't buy if you're over the age of 20, because that's about when you should have learned all the 'wisdom' and 'tips' in this book, like couch surfing and sneaking into pools.
Dursa
Sep 30, 2015 Dursa rated it it was amazing
funny and easy to read. You can finish this in two days and it's more for fun than for anything else. Stories about being broke in your 20s, couch surfing, having soul sucking jobs, things like that. I could relate and it entertained me for a few hours, more than a lot of books I laughed out loud. Myabe it's not for everyone looking for money advice, but if you want a laugh I recommend it
Peter Podgursky
Feb 18, 2015 Peter Podgursky rated it it was amazing
I was a fan of Dina’s articles and twitter feed so I decided to give her book a go. Being broke myself on a semi-regular basis, I found a lot of truth in its pages, and a lot of humour. It was an fun, easy read. Recommended.
Laura-marie
Dec 08, 2015 Laura-marie rated it liked it
Brokenomics is truly funny. But I couldn't relate to the speaker, who wants expensive purses and expensive shoes and to live like a star. Her advice missed the mark, for me. So if you're looking for humorous essays, go for it, but if you're looking for real frugality, look elsewhere.
Tony Bradshaw
Jun 27, 2015 Tony Bradshaw rated it did not like it
Not worth the time to read! Target audience seems to be just graduated from college females who find Dina Gachman hilariously funny even on serious topics like money. There's a lot of fluff, lot of jokes, lot of vulgarity, and lot of nonsensical in an effort to be funny in this book.
Christine
Jul 22, 2016 Christine rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Who was this book written for? At best, these are common sense tips that everyone knows (don't buy Louis Vuitton shoes if you can't even afford bubble gum). But more realistically, the "tips" are straight up ridiculous. Don't sell your organs to afford a Spring Break trip? No-- really?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • I Suck at Relationships So You Don't Have To: 10 Rules for Not Screwing Up Your Happily Ever After
  • WordPress: The Missing Manual
  • Heavy Metal Heart (Demon Rock, #1)
  • The Little Red Writing Book
  • Ruby (Facets of Passion, #3)
  • Curvology: The Origins and Power of Female Body Shape
  • Behind The Curtain: An Insider's View of Jay Leno's Tonight Show
  • One Taste of Scandal (Redcakes, #2)
  • Claws Bared (Blood of the Pride, #2)
  • The X-Files: Year Zero
  • Cowed: The Hidden Impact of 93 Million Cows on America's Health, Economy, Politics, Culture, and Environment
  • Beyond Valor
  • The Black Sheep's Inheritance
  • Mysteries of the Mall and Other Essays
  • Substitute: Going to School With a Thousand Kids
  • The Magic Mirror and the Seventh Dwarf (Accidental Enchantments, #2)
  • The Edge Becomes the Center: An Oral History of Gentrification in the 21st Century
  • (Re)Visions: Alice
Dina Gachman’s comedic blog about the economy, Bureaucracy for Breakfast, has been featured on Marketplace on NPR, ABC’s 20/20, and Chelsea Handler’s Borderline Amazing Comedy. She writes for Forbes, The Los Angeles Review of Books, Salon, Hello Giggles, The Hairpin, xoJane, and Bustle. She has also written two comic books, about Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor, both published by Bluewater ...more
More about Dina Gachman...