Start by marking “The Red Blanket” as Want to Read:
The Red Blanket

The Red Blanket

A touching and beautiful adoption story that reveals the challenges as well as the joys of forming a new family.

This is a story about a little girl who needed a mommy
and a forgotten blanket that needed a little girl
and a woman who needed them both.

This is a journey about the forming of a family.
It is as lyrical as a love letter from a mother to her daughter,
as honest as th
Published May 1st 2004 by Scholastic Press

Sarah Rourke
Feb 24, 2015 Sarah Rourke rated it it was amazing
Personal Reaction: This was a very touching book that I thoroughly enjoyed. I really liked how the story was told in 1st person point of view, it made the story seem more real. The main character, Lily, adopts a child and the rest of the story is about how they become a family and how the special red blanket is always a symbol of their love.

Purposes:
Read aloud for enjoyment and enrichment to 1st through 4th grade students. Students will be able to relate to this book if they themselves have be
Ashley
Oct 11, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it
Title / Author / Publication Date:
The Red Blanket / Thomas, Eliza. Cepeda, Joe (ill.) / 2004

Genre: Fiction

Format: Picture Book – print

Plot summary:
A story based on the adoption story the author told her own daughter PanPan. She describes her longing for a child, then her journey to China, and the first day with her new baby daughter, who cries and cries and nothing can comfort her until her mother pulls out the soft red blanket. Now PanPan is 10 years old, and the blanket is a reminder of the da
Makena Janssen
Sep 19, 2016 Makena Janssen rated it really liked it
"The Red Blanket" is a charming story detailing the authors personal struggles and joys of adopting her daughter, PanPan, from an orphanage in China. Through beautiful drawing and loving, motherly writing, Thomas describes the hardships of bringing her new baby away from the only language and scenery she had ever known, to her new home and family in the united states. It beautifully describes the bond between mother and daughter; one that transcends race or blood. I think that it is a great wind ...more
Feb 20, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Personal Response: I brought this book into class on the day we were supposed to bring books with a diverse perspective. I chose this book because it is a book that deals with the topic of adoption. I will read any children's book on adoption because it is a topic that is extremely interesting to me. This book also appealed to me because of the red blanket that the girl has as her comfort object. I had something similar when I was a little girl.

Purposes:
Read aloud to 1st-3rd children for multip
Allison Burke
Oct 30, 2012 Allison Burke rated it really liked it
Shelves: adoption
The Red Blanket is a memoir about a single mother who tells her story about her adopted child from china. The mother shares about her journey to meet her new baby girl, PanPan, and the struggles she has getting her baby adjusted to her new family. The red blanket the mother gives to her baby daughter is the first time they share smiles towards one another. As a literacy teacher, the book has a lot of vocabulary that could be used in discussion (ex. orphanage, nursery, gaze). The stories talk abo ...more
Gina Saenz
Sep 13, 2013 Gina Saenz added it
Shelves: libs-642
Category: Picture Soak
Source: Can’t wait to use with students

A book I read and wanted to share was “The Red Blanket” by Eliza Thomas and illustrated by Joe Cepeda. This is a book I would share with a classroom that has to deal with diversity. The story is about an American woman who desires to adopt a baby and one day get a letter from the Chinese saying they have a baby for her. The woman goes to the store and purchases necessary items for a baby included a red blanket. When the woman gets the
Brooke
May 01, 2010 Brooke rated it really liked it
Summary:
From School Library Journal
"After learning that she has qualified to adopt a baby, a woman purchases a variety of necessities, including a soft, red blanket that she has been eyeing for months. She takes it with her to the orphanage in China. Understandably, the infant, PanPan, is upset by all the changes in her young life when she is taken by taxi to a hotel, and the dazzling red blanket is the only comfort she finds on that first day. Over the years, the blanket has become threadbare a
Mina Lee
Oct 11, 2015 Mina Lee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adoption
The Red Blanket tells of a story of a mother, meeting her new baby and the happiness she felt when she finally held her baby, regardless of the hardships she faced to make the family work. Eliza writes of her personal story of meeting her daughter through the words and illustrations, taking the reader through her life, page-by-page. It was a lovely book to read.
Daniel Riles
Mar 12, 2012 Daniel Riles rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
The Red Blanket is a story about a single mom adopting a child from China. It is beautifully told and illustrated. It certainly provides a nice example of a non-traditional family, of a multi-racial family, and of a parent's love for her child.

However, the complexities of adopting a child from a foreign country are woven into my reading of the story creating an internal commentary as I read this book to my daughter. There are some wonderful examples of adoption from both America and from abroad
Carly Brown
For Sharon's Award

Level: Early

genre: picture book

Topic:International adoption, single mother family, mother daughter relationship

Curricular: Guided

social: adoption, single parent adopting and raising a child, isolation, becoming a parent and taking responsibility

literary elements: first person, mom writing it to or for her daughter to show love and closeness, red blanket is a symbol of security and love

Strong connection between the pictures and the text (the pictures tell the story too)
Jane G Meyer
A story of a single mom and her desire to share her life with someone else. She seeks adoption, finds a baby in China and brings that baby home, cuddled in a soft red blanket. That blanket becomes a theme of love and comfort for the young child as she grows, and a symbol of family unity for the mom.

This book would be a great introduction to young children about adoption--I'll have to ask my sweet friend, Annalisa BOYD if she's read it!
Jayme
Audience: k-3

Genre: Children's picture book

Use: I would read the story aloud to children whenever an issue came up about different types of families. Before reading, I would explain to children how their are several types of families and they are all equally important. I would introduce the idea of adoption and then read the story.

**Thanks to Goodreads for the summary, author, and publisher information!
Liane
Oct 30, 2008 Liane rated it really liked it
Shelves: sharon
Genre: Realistic picture book

Reading Level: Early

Topics & Themes: International adoption. Single-mother families and mother-daughter relationships.

Curricular Use: Read aloud

Social: Single parent adoption. Isolation.

Literary Elements: 1st person Mom to daughter to show love and happiness. Red blanket as symbol of security and love.

Text & Pictures: Interaction of text and pictures
Caitlyn
Oct 01, 2008 Caitlyn rated it it was amazing
The Red Blanket is a picture book for early readers. This book deals with adoption and growing in love as a family, these issues are addressed in this book. It could be used as a guided reading book to help students learn to read bigger words and sentences. The pictures interact with the words to The Red Blanket.
Angela
Nov 02, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Didn't read the author info at the beginning originally, and expected this to be one of those celebrity children's books, capitalizing on a fad. Knowing that it's a real story made the book more touching. A bit longer than we like, though -- took a couple of story time sessions to finish it.
Sharon Green
Dec 01, 2008 Sharon Green rated it liked it
k-2
early
read aloud
picture book
international adoption/single parent family/love
symbolism of red blanket=security and love/first person mother to daughter/text&illustration interactio
this is a story about forming a family with a single mom and her internationally adopted child
Vanessa
Mar 16, 2008 Vanessa rated it really liked it
Great US -China adoption story of a single mom and her daughter -- the red blanket the mom buys before she journeys to China comes to symbolize their connection and the journey from before they knew each other to their life as a 2-person family. Great illustrations by Joe Cepeda
Oana Cerchezan
I thought that this book was a good book to bring into the classroom to talk about the topic of diversity. Every child is different and his or her own way and each person has a different concept of what family is. Together as a class, the kids can talk about what family means to them.
Holly
Sep 24, 2013 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-ya
I am completely incapable of reading this story without getting a little hitch in my throat and a tear in my eye. I think this would be true even if one of my daughters was not adopted from another country.
Ann
Sep 16, 2012 Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: casa-library
Very sweet children's book about a woman, her adopted Chinese daughter, and the red blanket that serves as the bright, warm symbol binding their family.
Paula
Sep 04, 2011 Paula rated it liked it
It has to much text to read in story time but a great story with colorful illustrations
Tells the story of a single woman who goes to China to adopt a baby.
Crista
Nov 05, 2011 Crista marked it as to-read
Shelves: mc
Adoption
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Alishanmatt Adopt
Alishanmatt Adopt marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Ella
Ella marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Ainise Sekope
Ainise Sekope rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Joshua White
Joshua White marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016