Start by marking “Whistleblower” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,183 Ratings  ·  172 Reviews
He emerged from the mist right in front of Cathy Weaver's car -- running from would-be killers who were rapidly closing in. One look at his fog-shrouded form told Cathy this sexy stranger needed her help.

Victor Holland's story sounded like the raving of a man at the brink of madness, but his status as a hunted man was supported by the haunted look in his eyes -- and the bu
Paperback, Harlequin Intrigue #195, 250 pages
Published September 1992 by Harlequin Books

Phrynne
Aug 31, 2015 Phrynne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a Tess Gerritsen fan but this was not one of her best books. There was plenty of action but the characters were bland and the "romance" totally unbelievable. I had been warned not to read her early books and will now take heed of that warning. At least I now know how very far she has come from her first writings.
Carrie
Dec 20, 2011 Carrie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to pass time on a bus with a light read. Early Tess Gerritsen crime novel seemed a good choice. It ended up a festival of eye rolling and brow raising. Never again anything that is not Rizzolli and Isles series. Cringeworthy descriptions and dialogues, unrealistic situations (oh the deep connection and meeting of souls with a complete stranger, as if straight from a Harlequin), and running away from mortal danger, this is something to stay away from if one can help it.
Wendy
Jan 11, 2015 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whistleblower

I was a bit disappointed in this book after reading all of Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli & Isles novels but then I realized that this was one of her very first published books. It wasn't terrible but her writing has certainly come a long way since this was written.
Maryann Bosah
Another tantalizing story by Tess Gerristen. Victor Holland seems like a man every woman would like to have
Arlene
Jun 11, 2014 Arlene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Tess Gerritsen's earlier books. Light romance and mystery/suspense! If this was the first one of hers I read, I wouldnt have come back! Victor comes stumbling out of the woods and Cathy hits him w/her car. She takes him off to the hospital & they take her contact info. The ppl trying to kill Victor gets the info & goes to the address & kills, not Cathy, but her friend (Sarah) she was staying with. It gets announced on the news & the killer realizes he killed the wr ...more
Gertrud
Wel makkelijk om te lezen, maar andere boeken van haar zijn beter. Dit is categorie doktersroman.
Regine
Sep 28, 2014 Regine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This copy is the 2008 edition first published in 1994 is definitely one of Dr. Gerritsen's early works. It weighs more on the romance but still has the thrill that kept me from putting the book down. It actually feels a lot like Julie Garwood's mystery thriller books where romance is distinct and the mystery is more of a side dish. This book would cater to those who love reading romance with some fast paced action and mystery.

This book however doesn't show case Dr. Gerritsen's medical knowledge
Dlora
I was surprised to find that Tess Gerritsen, writer of the Rizzoli/Isles crime thrillers series as well as other medical suspense stand-alones, also had a number of romantic suspense novels. Actually there are nine of them, and I suspect that they served as the writing experience to hone her skills into an ability to create really well-developed characters, complicated plots, and compelling themes. In Whistleblower, I enjoyed a better-than-average romantic thriller but it is more light-weight an ...more
Kay
Mar 05, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: print
This is my first book written by Ms. Gerritsen and it won't be the last! Our heroine Cathy finds herself caught up in Victor's fight to expose a secret biochemical program that could prove devastating to the world. From the very first pages, Ms. Gerritsen keeps us on the edge wondering what is in store next for our couple. Everything about this book was a pleasure, from the developing intimacy between Cathy and Victor, to Victor's whacky friends who help them.
Melek G.
Mar 19, 2014 Melek G. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Too sketchy.Whistleblower/Proje: Ölümcül Virüs, okuduğum ilk Tess Gerritsen romanı. Uzun bir zamandır polisiye okumadığımı söylemiştim yanılmıyorsam, haliyle bunu bir an önce okumayı istiyordum. Sabah okula giderken attım çantama, otobüste başladım. Üç saatlik fizik dersimin ilk bir buçuk saati bittiğinde kitap da bitmişti.

Kitap oldukça akıcı, okurken yarım saat boyunca trafikte kaldığımızı bile fark etmedim. Yazım da fena değil, bayılmasam da bir eksiğini de görmedim, çeviri hatalarını hariç tu
Beth
Mar 18, 2016 Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gayle
May 17, 2015 Gayle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a real nail biter right from the start. If it were a movie I would have been yelling, don't go in there, don't stop, don't do that, go home!

Cathy Weaver is a good Samaritan who stops to help a man who she hit when he had run out in front of her car. Of course it is a dark rainy night on a country road. If it had been me, I would have pulled over and called the police, but than we wouldn't have a story. Victor Holland is being chased by both the good guy and the bad guy because he has in
Jessica
Dec 08, 2010 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lame. Okay, so I hit you with my car now we have to have sex. Seriously? Just unrealistic--well, maybe everyone else in the world falls madly in love with people first sight, but I just don't think so.
Diana Febry
Jul 13, 2012 Diana Febry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing was of the usual high standard expected. Within pages I was drawn into the story and lives of the main characters. The basis of the story was a little cliche.
Margaret
Dec 28, 2014 Margaret rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only picked this up because I was ill in bed and wanted an easyish read. I was disappointed. Victor Holland is fighting to bring a terrifying secret into the public realm, when the highest reaches of government are doing their best to keep the story secret. A young woman who comes to his aid, Catherine Weaver , finds herself sucked in. Despite the hectic pace of their adventures, Victor and Catherine are never too stressed to avoid wise-cracks and smart remarks, never too involved that they do ...more
Cindee
Dec 17, 2013 Cindee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Gerritsen's earlier novels, before she became an acclaimed crime writer so it was interesting to see how she started out, especially because I'm so used to her crime novels. Before she was a crime thriller writer, she was a romantic thriller writer, that is, her novels were very much driven by romance with a special thrill to it and slowly, she began to evolve and morph into how she writes today which I absolutely love. She's my favourite crime novelist!

In this book, Catherine (Ca
Zwart Raafje
Dec 16, 2013 Zwart Raafje rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
'Geen tijd. Help me. Snel...'

“Uit de regen duikt plotseling een man voor haar auto op. Een doffe klap en daarna doodse stilte. Als verlamd staart Cathy naar de zwiepende ruitenwissers. Dan stapt ze haastig uit. De man ligt ineengedoken naast de weg – totaal in paniek, te oordelen naar zijn gejaagde reacties op haar vragen. En gewond: bloed loopt langs haar hand als ze hem overeind helpt en naar haar auto brengt.

In het dichtstbijzijnde ziekenhuis wordt hij meteen weggereden naar het ok, waarna Ca
HÜLYA
Nov 30, 2013 HÜLYA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cris
Dec 07, 2013 Cris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, policial
Eu amo romances policiais que me deixam ligada à trama. Não existe coisa melhor que se aninhar no sofá com uma história que faz você se esquecer da vida e não ver o tempo passar. Os melhores livros do gênero que eu li me deixaram sem almoço, e até mesmo sem jantar. E isso não é fácil de acontecer porque eu sou fominha!

Quase que li o livro num fôlego só, mas como comecei a ler de noitinha e precisei ir dormir, porque sou uma bibliotecária trabalhadora e preciso acordar cedo, tive que interromper
Bobby
Jan 01, 2011 Bobby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read much mystery - I prefer paranormal - but my aunt passed this on to me so I figured I'd give it a good go. It was an incredibly quick read but that's the main thing it had to recommend it. The characters' had a good basis but weren't developed enough to induce me to feel a connection to them; I was half-expecting this because I thought that the focus would be more on the plot than on individual people within it. However, the plot just seemed to be a re-hash of things I've seen on T ...more
Kim
Sep 15, 2015 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ik heb de Bookazine versie van libelle gelezen. Ik dacht, leuk een boek van Tess Gerritsen, dat moet goed zijn. Valt dat even tegen. Het is geen thriller. Je weet al op pagina 1 hoe het afloopt. Zowel in de thriller als de liefdesverhaallijn. Waarom dan 2 sterren en niet 1? Halverwege zag ik dat het een boek was in de Harlequin reeks. Dat schaaft de beoordeling enigszins bij. Voor een Harlequin boekje is het best een aardig verhaal.
Carrie Mudge
Feb 06, 2015 Carrie Mudge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Good enough to read in a single sitting, so the plot kept the pages turning, but yet another cheesey romance. These books would be vastly improved by dropping the lovey dovey stuff that just doesn't work right, and concentrating on milking the action for all it's worth. It had enough without it. Off to start "Never Say Die" next - please let the male and female leads hate each other, for a change!
Amy Em
Jan 20, 2016 Amy Em rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
Seriously, Tess Gerritsen? Seriously? When a monkey dies in agony "in the name of humanity (my arse)" it is effing OK ??????? If we, the effing and ultimately stupid humanity, want to create a virus (#wtf) (please tell me where is the so called "human intelligence" here, because I struggle to see it) then please test it on humans. Let people die for it. People created it - why should animals die? "In the name of humanity"? Why should the monkeys care? The human race does not care a bit about the ...more
Simone Perren
Although I am a massive fan of Tess Gerritsen, I must admit this really was not one of her best. The plot seemed to be a bit all over the place so it was very difficult to keep her. Not only that but the main character wasn't very likeable due to her need to be in love one minute with the 'hero' of the story and then all of a sudden seemed to forget about him.
Definitely not my favourite.
Victor Holland was running for his life, chased by men with guns. He runs out onto a road - and gets hit by Cathy Weaver's car. She brings him to the hospital, and leaves him there, thinking that her job is done. How wrong she was!

In the night, someone comes hunting for a roll of film that Victor had, and in the process, her friend gets killed. Victor soon searches her out, and spills the whole story to her - it sounds so unbelievable, but she has to trust him, as two other Cathy Weavers have be
Kbeckermann
I usually enjoy Tess Gerritsen's novels, not this one. There was nothing gripping about the story, the romance was contrived and predictable. Even the science was superficial. I am glad she developed into the medical and crime thriller writer that she is and gave up on these types of romances. There are enough bad romances out there, but few good thrillers.
Andrea Ingram
just okay, 2 stars for action. The story was highly predictable, another made for TV script instead of novel. Characters were naive, high tech savvy, but lacking basic common sense. Heroine was very dense at times, people are dead and she goes around normally not on high alert.
Karen Runsted
Jun 30, 2015 Karen Runsted rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although for my taste there is a lot of unnecessary background info the plots are so good I can't put the book down, so far there has been only one of her books I haven't been able to finish, and that was because for me it was just a bit too gruesome, and that was "Harvest"
Elsie Roberts
A story not on the norm of what Tess Gerritsen writes. I truly enjoy her books on medical issues. She is an excellent writer. Her Whistleblower was a change, and doubted what it would be like, but she did not disappoint. Excellent story.
  • The Dragon and the Stars
  • Undercover Wife (Colby Agency, #9)
  • Family Passions
  • Bodyguard/Husband
  • Top Suspense: 13 Classic Stories By 12 Masters Of The Genre
  • Catspaw II (Blackheart, #2)
  • Cry of the Wild
  • Ricochet (Bear Claw Creek Crime Lab, #1)
  • Kekasih Pangeran Gurun (The Desert Prince's Mistress)
  • Heatwave
  • Dark Seduction (Daughters of Myth #2)
  • Skin and Bone
  • Damned (Witch Hunt #3)
  • Claiming His Love-Child (O'Connells, #3)
  • Death on the Cape and Other Stories
  • Sang Partner - Sleeping Partners
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic thriller
More about Tess Gerritsen...