Start by marking “The Five Bells and Bladebone (Richard Jury, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Five Bells and Bladebone (Richard Jury, #9)

The Five Bells and Bladebone (Richard Jury #9)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,154 ratings  ·  49 reviews
When a dismembered corpse is found in the compartments of an antique secretaire a abattant, Marshall Trueblood, recipient of the precious piece of furniture, is the first to protest: "I bought the desk, not the body, send it back." Who would want to kill Simon Lean, the greedy nephew of the wealthy Lady Summerston? Leave it to Superintendent Richard Jury of Scotland Yard t ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 334 pages
Published June 1st 2002 by Onyx (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Five Bells and Bladebone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five Bells and Bladebone

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsNobody Loves a Bigfoot Like a Bigfoot Babe by Simon OkillGood Omens by Terry PratchettInsufficient Mating Material by Rowena CherryThe Invasion of Falgannon Isle by Deborah MacGillivray
Humor is the Best Medicine
165th out of 465 books — 384 voters
Shōgun by James ClavellMemoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenTai-Pan by James ClavellThe Good Earth by Pearl S. BuckA Passage to India by E.M. Forster
Transcultural Fiction
170th out of 273 books — 153 voters

More lists with this book...

Perhaps this is just not a mystery one can read whilst reading 3 other books. The vast character list was confusing, and I confess that I was quite lost by the end of the book - too confused to care about the solution to the crime.
Deb
I always look forward to reading Martha Grimes, and I was especially eager to shake off the taste of an inane mystery/romance I'd just finished. This 9th installment in the Richard Jury series started off really well. Jury is finally getting some vacation time, spending his holiday in Long Piddlington with his friend Melrose Plant. All of the usual characters are here, including Aunt Agatha who is suing Mr.Jurvis, the local butcher over an accident she caused. Of course his holiday plans are com ...more
Laurie Andres
Meh. I got a bit lost about halfway through but kept reading hoping I get back on track. I did but I could have just as well stopped at that halfway point. Not very interesting or well crafted.
Jeanette
It has been more than a year since I last had a visit with one of my favorite detectives, Richard Jury. The 9th book in Martha Grimes mystery series has Jury heading off for a little R&R in Long Piddleton with friend and sidekick Melrose Plant. Of course, his vacation quickly comes to an end when a body is found inside a desk just acquired by a local antiques dealer.
All of the regular characters are back in this book, with perhaps just a little less of Sergeant Wiggens than I would have like
Teddi
100% better than the last 2 books. The flow was much smoother although the author is bit hard to follow if you don't take your time. I was very happy to see this one take place back in the original village with all the original characters.
I think one really must read this series in order to make sense of it all. These aren't books for skimmers or those used to the easy read cozys that prevail.
Katie
I'm not a mystery reader but since Martha Grimes was speaking at Politics & Prose (DC area bookstore) and I was going, I figured I should read one of her books. This title was the only thing I could get a hold of on short notice. I was not drawn to its plot initially, premise or writing style. I did like the setting and some of the characters were charming, funny, &/or intriguing. However, others were a bit muddly to follow or just a bit overwrought/stereotypical for my taste. Of course, ...more
Kathie
My favorite so far of the Richard Jury series. I admit it. I've skipped some of the series that were rated by Goodreads readers as not as good. I don't think I've missed much. Ms. Grimes seems to blow hot and cold sometimes. But this one was terrific. And I didn't feel as if the answers were provided too easily. I like to have to work to figure out the mystery, but I did have my suspicions. It's always fun to find out that you've been on the right track. I was glad of the small part Agatha and h ...more
KC
Another great Martha Grimes book. See I am the Only Running Footman for a complete description of Martha Grimes books.
Marfita
Kamas Kirian
Two wonderful murder mysteries, that unfortunately didn't get tied together until halfway through the book. Both lines were well written and kept you guessing about who the responsible party was right up to the end. I liked all the characters except Theo Wrenn Browne. I felt quite sorry for Tommy. Hopefully he was able to escape his aunt/uncle after a couple of more years when he became of age. Plenty of Melrose to keep me happy, but could always be more. I could have stood a little more Carole ...more
Trudy Pomerantz
This is the first Martha Grimes novel that I have read - I picked it up second-hand while on holidays down in Chattanooga. As you can see by my 4-star rating, I did enjoy it though at times I found it a little confusing trying to keep track of all the different characters. This however was probably more a function of trying to read a series starting at #9 rather than back at the beginning. I would certainly consider reading more of these.
Aggie Sanders
So convoluted that I'd lost my will to understand what really happened by the end. The only redeeming aspect was spending some time with characters I (usually) enjoy. If this had been the first Martha Grimes book I'd read, it would have been the last, but I have enjoyed other Richard Jury mysteries, so I might try another one.
Rupesh Goenka
Tough language makes it difficult to understand the plot at times, Deadly slow, Confusion of characterization & climax...
Avinash
Martha Grimes has recently triumphed as my champion Saviour From The Blues (alexander mccall smith and georgette heyer were the other strong contenders). And horror of horrors, she fast promises to replace Agatha Christie as my favourite murder writer ever.

Lovely characters, brilliant writing and plots filled to the brim with gloriously unnecessary detail.

Also, I have been convinced of the superiority of the british countryside as a setting for murder. Now when I plan my next murder, I'll first
Kelsey Hanson
This book was hard to get through. I seem to be in a book slump lately, a lot of my favorite mystery authors are letting me down. This novel had so many characters, many with very similar personalities, that it was hard to keep track of the different characters and their motives. The ending was also very ambiguous which sometimes works for me but not this time. I found this one pretty boring with too much emphasis on the uninteresting characters who will only appear in this single novel and not ...more
Rae
I adore Grimes' regular characters (Richard Jury, Melrose Plant, Sergeant Wiggins, and Aunt Agatha). The more of her mysteries I read, the more these people seem like old friends of mine.

In this novel, Jury is trying to solve two dissimilar murders that he is sure are connected. The plot is a bit more convoluted than usual and I thought it was slow-going until about three-quarters of the way through when it picked up a bit. And then the ending is quite ambiguous.

Not my favorite so far, but my
Patricia Burroughs
I'd already read this one, possibly more than once, but when I decided to listen to the audiobook I was ready to settle in for yet another splendidly read tale from Steve West, who has done all the Inspector Jury books I've listened to so far.

Thing is, I kept going to sleep while listening. Well, I would, since I plug in the earbuds when I go to bed. And the end doesn't make sense to me. I keep re-listening, and I'm still not quite sure i know what happened. I may have to reread it, to be sure.
Mary
Another excellent read. This is the book in which the character of Diane Demorney is introduced. The book also gives more insight into the other characters of Long Piddleton (Melrose's Aunt Agatha, Marshall Trueblood, Theo Wrenn Browne), as well as Jury's neighbor Carole-anne.

The murders occur in 2 different places, but are(of course) related! The interesting thing is the identity of the deceased; even at the end we aren't entirely sure who was who. Clever.
Spotsalots
Oct 07, 2012 Spotsalots added it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
One in a quirky series of mysteries set in recent Britain. I think we could say it's an alternate-universe Britain dreamed up by the American author, but the books are intelligent and rather zany, with a whole cast of oddball repeat characters. The style is somewhat reminiscent of the Albert Campion books by Margery Allingham. If you enjoy this sort of thing (which I do), go for it. If it's not your type of book, you'll find it annoying.
Shane Hall
Much fun with an unusual ending
Julia
I think I am not smart enough for Martha Grimes. This ending was not quite as ambiguous as the one in I Am The Only Running Footman, but it wasn't as clear as I would like. Maybe this is why Murder, She Wrote always has the corny scene in which the culprit explains how he dunit. I still enjoyed the book and I'm pretty clear on what happened, there was just one detail that I didn't quite understand the significance of.
Writerlibrarian
This was an average, somewhat confused and kinda outmatched Jury in this tale of stolen identities (more than one, like three). The dual crime scenes one in Plant's village and one in London adds to the sense that Jury is definitely not in control at all in this one. Poor Jury, he goes on vacations and ends up investigating anyway.

Light but in a confused plot and maybe Grimes tried too hard to be clever in this one.
Pam
Richard Jury remains one of my favorite detectives, and Martha Grimes never fails to write with humor and a lyrical style, even in the midst of crime. Wiggins always makes me laugh with his sneezing, tisanes, herbs, crumbled black biscuits, cough drops, little pills. He brings an amusing touch of "cozy" to every crime scene.
Brenda
The ending is too vague for me. I guess I prefer to know exactly who done it in my whodunits!
Laila
Jul 17, 2008 Laila rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of British mysteries, police procedurals with depth
Why do the British mysteries so entrance me? The funny thing is, Martha Grimes herself is American. Go figure. Anyway, this is a very good entry in the Richard Jury series. I just love visiting these characters.
Janet Meissner
I like Martha Grimes and I like the regular characters in her book. However, I was annoyed that I had to keep notes on all the new characters she introduced in every chapter in this book. Too much work.
Kirsten
I usually always really enjoy the Richard Jury Mysteries, but for some reason this one left me flat. The first 3/4 to 2/3 was excellent, but the ending was very anti-climactic. Hope #10 will be better.
Catherine Handler
I am a sucker for mysteries and Martha Grimes'"Richard Jury" series is fantastic. The names of the books come from the names of pubs. As always, there is a crime to solve amid suspense and humor.
Mary-Beth
In Long Piddleton, where Melore Plant, Trueblood, Agatha and Vivian live, a murdered man is discovered in Trueblood's secretaire a abattant.

See also, The Man with a Load of Mischief.
Kim
Mar 12, 2012 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Great series with delightful recurring characters. The quality of the mystery varies from book to book. The earlier books are better than more recent volumes.
  • A Suitable Vengeance (Inspector Lynley, #4)
  • Death and the Dancing Footman (Roderick Alleyn, #11)
  • Dreaming of the Bones (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #5)
  • Pennies On a Dead Woman's Eyes (Sharon McCone, #13)
Martha Grimes is an American author of detective fiction.

She was born May 2 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to D.W., a city solicitor, and to June, who owned the Mountain Lake Hotel in Western Maryland where Martha and her brother spent much of their childhood. Grimes earned her B.A. and M.A. at the University of Maryland. She has taught at the University of Iowa, Frostburg State University, and Montg
More about Martha Grimes...
The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury, #1) The Old Fox Deceiv'd (Richard Jury, #2) The Anodyne Necklace (Richard Jury, #3) The Blue Last (Richard Jury, #17) The Dirty Duck (Richard Jury, #4)