Start by marking “The Book of Dialogue: How to Write Effective Conversation in Fiction, Screenplays, Drama, and Poetry” as Want to Read:

2.33 of 5 stars 2.33  ·  rating details  ·  3 ratings  ·  2 reviews
This is a book about dialogue for writers: how to get characters talking in a way that vividly reveals who they are, what they are doing, and what's coming next in your story. Originally published in 1989, this revised and expanded edition focuses on the art and craft of writing effective dialogue in fiction, cinema, television, drama, radio, and poetry.
Published January 1st 2004 by University Press of New England (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Dialogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Dialogue

Eric Wynn
As a writer, I am gleaning some new ideas for my work from this book. It has held my intrests so far, and I continue to press forward looking for those golden nuggest of knowledge that are hidden among the pages.
L.M. Elm
Thought the use of Socratic method was a little too over the top for me. I found my self cringing at his narrator. There are better books about dialogue out there. This one just isn't one of them.
Fauzia Lakh
Fauzia Lakh marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Sammy
Sammy marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Norris F
Norris F marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Bellanotte
Bellanotte marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2012
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2011
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2010
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 15, 2009
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2009
The New Book of Forms: A Handbook of Poetics Dialogue (Elements of Fiction Writing) The Book of Literary Terms: The Genres of Fiction, Drama, Nonfiction, Literary Criticism, and Scholarship The Book of Forms: A Handbook of Poetics The Museum of Ordinary People and Other Stories