Start by marking “Strawberry Tattoo (Sam Jones, #5)” as Want to Read:
Strawberry Tattoo (Sam Jones, #5)

Strawberry Tattoo (Sam Jones #5)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  238 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Sam Jones, sculptress and reluctant sleuth, can't resist the opportunity to do Manhattan when she's invited to New York for a group show at a gallery featuring young British artists. New York, loud and brash as Sam herself, welcomes her with open arms and plenty of her favorite margaritas. She's even reunited with Kim, a best friend from childhood who's transformed herself ...more
Published September 12th 2000 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Strawberry Tattoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strawberry Tattoo

James and the Giant Peach by Roald DahlThe Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckTwilight by Stephenie MeyerA Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessOn the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Fruit Salad
237th out of 314 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeri
Sep 26, 2010 Jeri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lauren Henderson's outrageous heroine, sculptor Sam Jones, heads off to Manhattan in this one for a show featuring young British artists. Self-described as "Miss Marple crossed with weedkiller", Sam is not entirely at a loss when she finds herself yet again involved in a murder investigation. In fact, she rather takes it in her stride.

I like Sam's bit ... er, forceful, style and in-your-face attitude. She's not a character I can truly identify with (I feel even more staid and boring than usual
Lori
Aug 24, 2016 Lori rated it liked it
A light, enjoyable and nostalgic read. Sam Jones discovers New York and her British cheekiness and perspective in an uptight-at-the-time Manhattan during the early nineties makes for a fun read. The mystery was pretty entertaining as well aside from the ending which lacked believability.
Stacey
Jun 19, 2014 Stacey rated it it was ok
A bit of nostalgia, published in the late 90's when pay phones were used regularly. Full of stereotypes of New Yorkers and artists, you are left feeling judged yourself. Not a book I'd recommend to a friend.
Kirsty Darbyshire

Sam's off to Manhattan. Sounds like a laugh to me.

And it was.

This was a much stronger book from the mystery point of view than 'Freeze My Margarita'. There's stuff you could quibble over about the motive and the background to the murders involved but Henderson has done a great job with the characters. And Manhattan is pretty realistic too. It's not quite how I see Manhattan so I could quibble with that too. I spotted at least a couple of the Americans in the book talking in British idioms that

Writerlibrarian
Sam Jones meets New York and New York meets Sam Jones. Light, anchored in the time it was written late 1990s, early 2000s.There are quite a bit of cultural and pop reference specific to that era. TV shows, music in particular and the contemporary Young British artists scene of up coming artists that are big names now (Damien Hirst). The murder plot is okay but the best part is Sam discovering New York. There are pages that are just like a very nice tall drink of something cool and tasty. I enjoy ...more
Emmaj
Apr 21, 2015 Emmaj rated it did not like it
Awful
Carolyn Patricia Allen
Apr 03, 2014 Carolyn Patricia Allen rated it did not like it
Shelves: will-not-finish
Much ado about nothing has great meaning with this author. Her characters talked too much about nothing. I felt like the author wrote to entertain herself instead of me: the reader.
Winifred
Liked this book but not as much as freeze my margarita. sam jones has gone to new york to show her sculpture. The gallery is broken into and some paintings hace had graffiti put on them and then kate is killed at strawberry fields. Then don is also killed. Sam and suzanne lure the killer to reveal themselves.
Rebekkila
Jul 30, 2010 Rebekkila rated it really liked it
For a mystery this book wasn't very mysterious. There was not a lot of time devoted to the mystery, 2 people are killed and then nothing happens until the end when it is revealed rather quickly. but I do love English chick lit and the book was entertaining and a fast read.
Jessica
Feb 17, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I so, so liked this book! It made me realize how we Americans are so sunk deep into our uptightness, we can't even see it for what it is. We think everything is so life-and-death, and really, in the grand scheme of things, who cares? And so what? Refreshing!
Megan
Jul 10, 2008 Megan rated it liked it
(3.5 stars) This isn't the best of the Sam Jones books, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I do wish the author had consulted an American or two while writing the dialogue in New York...
Amy
Nov 11, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
Sam Jones is too cool for school, and that's why I like her sometimes and want to smack her others.
Julie
Not a great mystery, but such an entertaining, readable book.
Valissa
Aug 09, 2016 Valissa rated it really liked it
"There was a boy in it. As so often."
Sabrina Edmonston
Sabrina Edmonston rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Verity W
Verity W marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Ana Maria
Ana Maria marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Ean Kewley
Ean Kewley marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Stasya
Stasya marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Sara Nielsen
Sara Nielsen rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Antonis
Antonis rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Bronwyn
Bronwyn rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
  • Tart Noir
  • Doctor Who: The Edge of Destruction (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 132)
  • Better Off Dead: A Casey Jones Mystery
  • Theodora's Diary: Faith, Hope and Chocolate
  • Vital Lies (Jane Lawless, #2)
  • Red Cat (John March, #3)
  • Doctor Who: Love and War
  • Fever Season (Benjamin January, #2)
  • Emperor Norton's Ghost (Fremont Jones, #4)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Quintessential Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #5)
  • Doctor Who: Nightshade
  • Havana Red (Mario Conde, #3)
  • Hearts and Bones (Hannah Trevor Trilogy, #1)
  • Whom the Gods Love (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #3)
  • Doctor Who: Timewyrm: Exodus
Born in London in 1966, Lauren Henderson read English at university and then worked as a journalist for - among other publications - the New Statesman, Marxism Today, the Observer and Lime Lizard, a much-mourned indie music magazine. Lauren now divides her time between Italy and London and, when not wine-tasting, writes full-time.
More about Lauren Henderson...

Sam Jones (7 books)
  • Dead White Female (Sam Jones, #1)
  • Too Many Blondes (Sam Jones, #2)
  • Black Rubber Dress (Sam Jones, #3)
  • Freeze My Margarita (Sam Jones, #4)
  • Chained (Sam Jones, #6)
  • Pretty Boy (Sam Jones, #7)