Start by marking “Strawberry Tattoo (Sam Jones, #5)” as Want to Read:
Strawberry Tattoo (Sam Jones, #5)

Strawberry Tattoo (Sam Jones #5)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Sam Jones, sculptress and reluctant sleuth, can't resist the opportunity to do Manhattan when she's invited to New York for a group show at a gallery featuring young British artists. New York, loud and brash as Sam herself, welcomes her with open arms and plenty of her favorite margaritas. She's even reunited with Kim, a best friend from childhood who's transformed herself ...more
Published September 12th 2000 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Strawberry Tattoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strawberry Tattoo

James and the Giant Peach by Roald DahlThe Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckTwilight by Stephenie MeyerOn the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls WilderA Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
Fruit Salad
160th out of 201 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeri
Lauren Henderson's outrageous heroine, sculptor Sam Jones, heads off to Manhattan in this one for a show featuring young British artists. Self-described as "Miss Marple crossed with weedkiller", Sam is not entirely at a loss when she finds herself yet again involved in a murder investigation. In fact, she rather takes it in her stride.

I like Sam's bit ... er, forceful, style and in-your-face attitude. She's not a character I can truly identify with (I feel even more staid and boring than usual
Stacey
A bit of nostalgia, published in the late 90's when pay phones were used regularly. Full of stereotypes of New Yorkers and artists, you are left feeling judged yourself. Not a book I'd recommend to a friend.
Kirsty Darbyshire

Sam's off to Manhattan. Sounds like a laugh to me.

And it was.

This was a much stronger book from the mystery point of view than 'Freeze My Margarita'. There's stuff you could quibble over about the motive and the background to the murders involved but Henderson has done a great job with the characters. And Manhattan is pretty realistic too. It's not quite how I see Manhattan so I could quibble with that too. I spotted at least a couple of the Americans in the book talking in British idioms that

Writerlibrarian
Sam Jones meets New York and New York meets Sam Jones. Light, anchored in the time it was written late 1990s, early 2000s.There are quite a bit of cultural and pop reference specific to that era. TV shows, music in particular and the contemporary Young British artists scene of up coming artists that are big names now (Damien Hirst). The murder plot is okay but the best part is Sam discovering New York. There are pages that are just like a very nice tall drink of something cool and tasty. I enjoy ...more
Carolyn Patricia Allen
Much ado about nothing has great meaning with this author. Her characters talked too much about nothing. I felt like the author wrote to entertain herself instead of me: the reader.
Winifred
Liked this book but not as much as freeze my margarita. sam jones has gone to new york to show her sculpture. The gallery is broken into and some paintings hace had graffiti put on them and then kate is killed at strawberry fields. Then don is also killed. Sam and suzanne lure the killer to reveal themselves.
Rebekkila
For a mystery this book wasn't very mysterious. There was not a lot of time devoted to the mystery, 2 people are killed and then nothing happens until the end when it is revealed rather quickly. but I do love English chick lit and the book was entertaining and a fast read.
Jessica
I so, so liked this book! It made me realize how we Americans are so sunk deep into our uptightness, we can't even see it for what it is. We think everything is so life-and-death, and really, in the grand scheme of things, who cares? And so what? Refreshing!
Megan
(3.5 stars) This isn't the best of the Sam Jones books, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I do wish the author had consulted an American or two while writing the dialogue in New York...
Amy
Sam Jones is too cool for school, and that's why I like her sometimes and want to smack her others.
Julie
Not a great mystery, but such an entertaining, readable book.
Valissa
"There was a boy in it. As so often."
Anca  Ciochina
Anca Ciochina marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Jodie
Jodie marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Volga
Volga added it
Nov 06, 2014
Yesbel Gaxiola
Yesbel Gaxiola marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Kinnary Jadeja
Kinnary Jadeja marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Babola
Babola marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Laura added it
Aug 20, 2014
Raluca
Raluca marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Tart Noir
  • Doctor Who: The Edge of Destruction (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 132)
  • Better Off Dead: A Casey Jones Mystery
  • Stage Fright (Jane Lawless, #3)
  • Theodora's Diary: Faith, Hope and Chocolate
  • Red Cat (John March, #3)
  • Love and War
  • Emperor Norton's Ghost (Fremont Jones, #4)
  • Havana Red (Mario Conde, #3)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Quintessential Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #5)
  • Fever Season (Benjamin January, #2)
  • Whom the Gods Love (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #3)
  • Timewyrm: Exodus
  • Hand-Me-Down
  • Nightshade
  • Hearts and Bones (Hannah Trevor Trilogy, #1)
Born in London in 1966, Lauren Henderson read English at university and then worked as a journalist for - among other publications - the New Statesman, Marxism Today, the Observer and Lime Lizard, a much-mourned indie music magazine. Lauren now divides her time between Italy and London and, when not wine-tasting, writes full-time.
More about Lauren Henderson...
Girls' Night In Kiss Me Kill Me (Scarlett Wakefield, #1) Flirting in Italian (Flirting in Italian #1) Kisses and Lies (Scarlett Wakefield, #2) Kiss in the Dark (Scarlett Wakefield, #3)