Start by marking “Black Rubber Dress (Sam Jones, #3)” as Want to Read:
Black Rubber Dress (Sam Jones, #3)

Black Rubber Dress (Sam Jones #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  23 reviews
PRAISE FOR LAUREN HENDERSON AND THE SAM JONES SERIES
“Wickedly funny . . .”—New York Times Book Review
“Sharply intelligent. . . . Hipper than hip.”—Denver Rocky Mountain News

Sexy, savvy sculptor-turned-sleuth Sam Jones attracts trouble like she does men. When her sculpture Thing III is unveiled at a swank reception in the atrium of a London bank, a dead body crashes the par
Published May 25th 1999 by Three Rivers Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Black Rubber Dress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Rubber Dress

Kent Frazier
Lauren Henderson's "Sam Jones" series has long been one of my favorite mystery series. My preference in reading is toward character driven novels (though a good plot helps too ;-). The "Sam Jones" character is a street-wise, female, new-age tart, who works as a sculptor (kind of a foul-mouthed, promiscuous, Liza Doolittle). While I like her smart-ass, sarcastic, come-backs, I'm really enamored with her similes, which are sprinkled through all the books in the series.

"her hands as round and plum
Cynthia
Wow, what a refreshing read! If you're a fan of Sue Grafton, you'll love Lauren Henderson. Sam (Samantha) isn't a detective per se, but manages to get herself involved in a murder, simply because she cares! How novel is that? I came to like her very quickly and found myself cheering for her at times. This was a quick, easy read...just what one needs on a hot summer day!
Cheryl Griffin price
this book has plenty of events to keep you interested.
it took me only two days to read inbetween seeing to my 3 children, thats how good it is.
would happily go buy more of this authors work if this is anything to go by!
Marta Acosta
Loved all the "tart noir" novels and Henderson's Sam Jones was a favorite character.
Jeri
4.5. Sam Jones is one of the most kickass female sleuths I've ever read. (She makes Kinsey and her like look downright ladylike. ) She is also quite alien to my experience, but I enjoy reading about her. In
THE BLACK RUBBER DRESS she sells a sculpture to a respectable City bank and ends up having a steamy affair with (ye gads!) a stockbroker and spending more time than she (or we) would've believed with his upmarket set. When blackmail and murder intrude, Sam is hot on the trail (and in very hot
Maddy
RATING: 3.5

PROTAGONIST: Sculptor Sam (Samantha) Jones
SETTING: Camden, UK
SERIES: #3 of 7
RATING: 3.5
WHY: Sam (Samantha) Jones is a sculptor who has designed a contemporary mobile which she has just installed at a bank. And then she starts seeing one of the bankers, Sebastian Shaw, who is definitely at a much higher social level than Sam is. However, he isn't pretentious and they get along well, sharing a bed and recreational drugs. They attend an engagement party at the bank, and the male honoree
Emmaj
Pretty badly written but easy to read
Clunky plot twists and difficult to believe
How come she is suddenly best friends with all these people?
Opening paragraph is unnecessary
Mark Farley
Before Lauren's more recent successes in the realm of contemporary chick lit, she helped pioneer a genre of fiction in the mid 90's called 'Tart Noir'. Edgy, sassy, exceptionally feminine voices that resonated with attitude and wit, running through the crime genre with the same veracity as chick lit. This sexy thriller gives us some of the best moments from the character Sam Jones (not to be confused with her namesake in the HBO series, Sex in the City) in a rollocking London adventure with grea ...more
Writerlibrarian
This is more I expect a transition book for the series. The plot is interesting - a banker is found dead under Sam's sculpture at his engagement party. There are many layers to the plot, a bunch of red herrings but ultimately the resolution of the plot is fine.

Sam gets a little wild and dirty with her banker lover while figuring out who used her art to kill a man.

A good instalment of the series. Still fun and quirky although this one tried a little too hard to add a 'Less than Zero' vibe (sex,
Winifred
Sam jones is a sculptress and she has done a commission for a bank. she goes out with sebastian who works at the bank. the caretaker at the bank is killed and sam wants to know why because he tries to tell her something as he is dying but she cant understand him. She decides to go to the party at the bank to see if she can find any details. Later on the body of the futher soninlaw of the bank is found dead with the sculpture on the top of him,but he has not been killed by the mobile. I was surpr ...more
Kirsty Darbyshire
i've put off reading anything that's supposed to be funny since i threw the first janet evanovich book at the wall in frustration at the protagonist's stupidity. i picked this up in the bookshop and chuckled at the first page though. after a couple of chapters sam jones seems like quite a character but she definitely doesn't seem stupid. so i'm hoping we'll get on.

we did get on. sam's smart, not smart enough not to get caught up in investigating murders of course, but if she was that smart then
Stven
Mar 26, 2012 Stven rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stven by: library
This was a fun story to read. There's something about unabashed hedonism that seems so sincere. The pages keep turning. As a mystery, well, face it, I'm not the kind of reader who sits there trying to puzzle out what happened and who's responsible. I'm happy for the protagonist to reveal that in her own good time if she's personable enough. Sex, drugs, and really not that much rock and roll, but a bit of the bohemian London art crowd mixing with the patrons thereof makes for good clashy kicks.
Margaret
Sam Jones is chuffed to have sold her giant sculpture "Floating Planet" (aka "Thing III") to big London investment banker Mowbray Steiner, but she's not so excited when a dead body turns up at the unveiling party and she's drawn into the tangle of drugs, affairs, and corruption behind the bank's staid walls. I loved Sam, who's smart and assertive and tough, and Jones provides a tense and intriguing mystery with well-drawn, complex supporting characters.
Wealhtheow
Sam Jones is a confident, independent, and highly skilled sculptress/engineer whose latest work (a huge metal monstrosity she calls simply "Thing III") has sold *very* well. She becomes embroiled in a murder mystery after her sculpture crushes someone to death. These are pure delicious crack.
LemontreeLime
Read this way back in the day, and did not realize how many books there were to the series, so I may need to go back and reread them all. Great main character, fun (and a little racy) mystery, love the sculpture back story. Yeah I'm going to end up rereading these.
Julie
I read this whole series before and enjoyed it enormously.

On reread: I love the character of Sam Jones. She's sharp and funny, with an edge that I appreciate now more than I did when I originally read this series.
Megan Peterson
Can't even write a review for this, didn't make it through the first 50 pages. Can't even remember what drew me to this book but it was definitely not for me.
Melinda
Ok, it's chick-lit, but so much fun. As another reviewer said, Best London Detective Series Ever. I've loved all the Sam Jones books that I've read.
malika
Best. London. Detective. Series. Ever. If you can't find them in bookstores, that's because the cretins who run them file her under romance.
Julie
Good read. . . and raises eyebrows on the plane. . .
Angela
This book was good but it seemed to move slow to me.
Baileyqueue Queue
I love this series, it's fun and an easy read.
Lubna
Very interesting.
D.B. Kennison
D.B. Kennison marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Midgetbee
Midgetbee marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
  • Doctor Who: The Edge of Destruction (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 132)
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • Tart Noir
  • The Devil in Music (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #4)
  • Better Off Dead: A Casey Jones Mystery
  • Stage Fright (Jane Lawless, #3)
  • Funeral Music
  • Blood at the Bookies (Fethering, #9)
  • Mumbo Gumbo (Madeline Bean, #5)
  • The Witch's Brat
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Quintessential Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #5)
  • The Sibyl in Her Grave (Hilary Tamar, #4)
  • The Magyar Venus (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #8)
  • The Keys to the Street
  • Emperor Norton's Ghost (Fremont Jones, #4)
  • Hearts and Bones (Hannah Trevor Trilogy, #1)
  • A Play of Treachery (Joliffe the Player, #5)
  • Nightshade
Born in London in 1966, Lauren Henderson read English at university and then worked as a journalist for - among other publications - the New Statesman, Marxism Today, the Observer and Lime Lizard, a much-mourned indie music magazine. Lauren now divides her time between Italy and London and, when not wine-tasting, writes full-time.
More about Lauren Henderson...

Sam Jones (7 books)
  • Dead White Female (Sam Jones, #1)
  • Too Many Blondes (Sam Jones, #2)
  • Freeze My Margarita (Sam Jones, #4)
  • Strawberry Tattoo (Sam Jones, #5)
  • Chained (Sam Jones, #6)
  • Pretty Boy (Sam Jones, #7)
Girls' Night In Kiss Me Kill Me (Scarlett Wakefield, #1) Flirting in Italian (Flirting in Italian #1) Kisses and Lies (Scarlett Wakefield, #2) Kiss in the Dark (Scarlett Wakefield, #3)