Start by marking “I Want to Go Home” as Want to Read:
I Want to Go Home

I Want to Go Home

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  1,397 ratings  ·  166 reviews
Rudy Miller is so unhappy spending the summer at Camp Algonkian Island that he devises dozens of tricks to get himself sent home.
Unknown Binding, 176 pages
Published March 1st 2007 by Not Avail (first published February 28th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about I Want to Go Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Want to Go Home

Jamie
Aug 17, 2007 Jamie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone with a soul
Shelves: youngadult
This book was, for many, many years, my favourite book of all time. My earliest memory of it was of getting in major trouble for laughing out loud while reading it under my desk in 5th grade, but that copy was already tattered.

Even though the book is out of print, I suggest that you track it down. This is one of the funniest books I have ever read.
Heather
I no longer recognize teen angst. It is so full of werewolves, it bears no resemblance to either being a teen or feeling angst. And so I reread I Want to Go Home because it's about the kind of things that caused ME angst -- namely, summer camp.

Sometimes I think the secret of YA fiction is to read "boy books." If this had been written for girls, it would be about how summer camp is so awful because Girl A has to be away from her boyfriend and Girl B wants this other boy to like her who's also at
Kazuo
This book was... awesome. That is the only way I can describe the hilarious hijinks that lay within without spoiling the entire book.

[Spoiler]

One example of hilarious is something that Rudy writes on a sheet of paper and then tapes to Harold Greene's pillow: Betwixt these sheets sleepeth ye biggest twit in Ontario.
Wayne
One of my all time favorite books. Still makes me laugh out loud.
Rudy Miller is a gifted natural athlete, but hates sports. He is also cynical, sarcastic, and apathetic. So his parents, on the advice of his school guidance counselor send him to camp for the summer. Rudy butts heads immediately with the overly enthusiastic camp counselors and hilarity ensues. Along with his equally unhappy friend Mike Webster, he decides to escape from the camp. Gordon Korman at his best.
Christine
This was my absolute favorite book when I was eleven years old in Ontario, and I was brokenhearted when my paperback copy actually became too disgusting to read (stains, torn pages, mildew from reading it in the shower). I know it was reissued in recent years but I hated the new, "modern" cover. Gimme the original artwork! So imagine my surprise and total delight when, seventeen years after I first enjoyed it, I discovered a very good copy of my original version in a used book store in Yangpu di ...more
Ruby Hollyberry
Gordon Korman's best books, of which this is one, are spit-your-coffee-at-the-cat hilarious. Almost every sentence in the book is funnier than the last. The general themes of this one, I would say, are the effective limits to the usefulness of stubbornness as a policy, and the awkwardness of possessing an unwieldy amount of genius. But don't listen to that, just go read it. Recommended to adults who want a chuckle as well as children.
ALEX!!!! Hulbert
Anushka
Picked up a second hand copy of the book at a pet fair... fairly inconscpicuous. Until you start reading that is.

Definitely near the top of my 'all time favourite', a must read and an immediate mood lifter. Comedy and hilarity at its best!!!!

*(One of) My Favourite Quote(s)*

Rudy: Thar she blows
Mike: Thar what blows? *sits up* Rudy! There nothing blows! There's no wind! We have no wind!!!

Also noted for the generous use of the insults 'Nut' and 'Twit'.

Read the book and didn't like it? Work Detail!
People5accountant.com
Lisa
Hysterical, barring any natural disasters.
Joel Tone
I read I Want to Go Home! to my kids. The whole family was laughing their heads off throughout the book. I Want to Go Home! is the story of Rudy Miller’s attempts to escape from Camp Algonkian where he’s been sent for a summer of fun.

One of the things that really strikes me as a grown-up re-reading Gordon Korman’s books is that there are no villains in his stories. This isn’t a hippie elf peace circle thing, it’s that the antagonists have conflicting, but valid, viewpoints. In this case, Rudy wa
Ashley Capes
As a boy, this book made me laugh every single time I read it.

That's easily one of the best things I can think of getting from a story, and because it gave me hours and hours of happiness, there's no way I can rate it lower than five stars.

In I Want to Go Home! Rudy Miller is a gifted but easily bored and mischievous kid who has been sent to an island athletic camp where he proceeds to drive the entire staff mad with both his apathy and his cheeky escape attempts.

Part of what makes it so amusi
Jordan Halsey
Jun 07, 2007 Jordan Halsey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Introverts
I received this book from some kind of children's book club that I don't remember ever joining, but I'm definitely glad that it happened. This was my favorite book for the longest time. I read it so many times that the cover fell off. In essence it's the story of Rudy Miller and Mike Webster who are spending a summer at Camp Algonkian Island... but would rather not. The main plot of the book involves their various efforts to escape, efforts complicated by the fact that the camp IS on an island. ...more
Lana.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a boy in possession of a summer vacation, must want to camp... at least that's the philosophy of Camp Algonkian. Wait until they meet Rudy Miller, who doesn't do camp or much anything else... except attempts to escape.

Hiliariously funny read as a child and still pretty amusing re-read as an adult. Though some aspects might be rather quaint and dated (1981 with no cell phones! No swearing!), the light-hearted comic wackiness of Korman's world (unbelie
Alison
This was one of my absolute favorite books as a child, so much so that I saved it, one of the few remnants of the books I read then. I am glad I did, as it is out of print now. But, written by a 15-year-old Gordon Korman, who is a favorite of kids everywhere even now, it has aged beautifully, because it contains so much truth, humanity, and hysterical writing, set at summer camp, a refuge from the technology that pervades our world now.

I read this with my younger son starting a week ago, and he
Tayyaba (Tubz)
This book is literally a part of my childhood. It was read to me by my grade 5 teacher, and ever since i've loved this book and recommend it to everyone. I remember every part because i've read it over a billion times and it never fails to amuse me even though i'm 17 right now. But age is merely a number when it comes to this book I'm so glad I have my own copy and Gordon Korman is by far one of my favourite authors.
Raelyn
In the book I want to go home, the main character is Rudy Miller. I was very involved at this camp called Camp Algonkian. Rudy's parents and the counselor do not want him to leave. He is an athletic kid but he does not like to play sports. He was sent to a camp in the summer.The counselor at the camp and Rudy did not get along. He really wanted to leave, but they would not let him. After awhile of him getting fed up with everything, him and his friend escape from the camp. There was a lot of con ...more
Caitlin
Ahhhhhhh! What a blast from the past! I was OBSESSED with this book when I was in middle school and read it at least a hundred times. I thought it was so funny - mainly the dialogue from the main character who was sarcastic and witty. I also related a lot to it because I spent so many years at summer camp, and the lame things about camp that the protagonist despises also annoyed me. There are a lot of issues here that any angsty pre-teen can grab onto: the desire to be "grown up" and independent ...more
Amy Rose
One of my favourite books as a child. I think I've read it over twenty times. I still have my copy and I pull it out every once in a while because it still catches my imagination. After all these years, I still hope they make a movie some day.
Lisa
Jun 20, 2007 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
this is one of my favorite childhood books, and every so often when i need a good laugh i pull it out. okay so it is meant for an adolescent audience, but is is still great.
Ameena
OMIGAWD EVERYONE WHO SEES THIS REVIEW MUST READ I promise you'll love it we all DIED laughing funniest book EVER!!!!
Mononoke
This book made me laugh sooo hard I actually fell off my bed a few times!
Jenny
This one always makes me laugh so hard!
Monique
You know.

Those books, that are just fun.

Plain, unadulterated fun.

This is the kind of book that makes reading fun.

Amusing, entertaining, I-loved-it-so-much-I-feel-like-screaming.
This book was just overwhelmingly awesome. Gordon Korman rightfully deserves my favorite author position, as the books I have read from him (especially his older ones) have kept me thoroughly entertained, giggling and chuckling with happy tears in my eyes, trying to not disturb my family. From Swindle, No More Dead Dogs,
Arminzerella
Rudy Miller’s parents send him to Camp Algonkian Island for two months on the advice of his guidance counselor, and Rudy intends to hate every moment of it. He and his sidekick, Mike Webster, spend most of their free time playing chess, planning their next escape attempt, and irritating the heck out of their counselors (who fight back by giving them work detail). Rudy’s parents offer to take him home after Visiting Day, when they discover just how miserable (and how much trouble) Rudy has been. ...more
Emma
Upon recommendation from the school guidance counselor, Rudy Miller is sent to Camp Algonkian Island for boys. Rudy hates camp and everything it entails. He quickly teams up with Mike Webster, who feels the same way about summer camp and all the activities. Rudy is difficult and stoic, but he’s also a mastermind for causing trouble. Together, Mike and Rudy scheme again and again to escape. In a camp full of clone counselors, whiny cabin mates and a plethora of opportunities to cause trouble, Rud ...more
Michael Emond
Like many others - this was a childhood favourite of mine. And yes, while I hate the new "updated" cover, I decided to buy this to see if it lived up to my childhood memories. I had recently read some more recent Korman stuff (On the Run) and disliked it. and I had reread another childhood favourite from him (This Can't be Happening At MacDonald Hall) and found it lacking.
The good news is, this book lived up to my memories and is a wonderful book by Korman. The star of the book is Rudy Miller
Jocelyn
Rudy Miller was sent to Camp Algonkian for the summer, and he HATES it. He excels at everything from baseball, to chess, to dancing, but he won't participate in anything. Him and his accomplice Mike Webster start to plot different devious ways to escape summer camp.

I picked up this book because I was looking for something good to read, and I remembered that this book was really funny. I finished this book because I was enjoying reading about Rudy and Mike's schemes to escape camp.

I would recomme
Jocelyn
Rudy Miller was sent to Camp Algonkian for the summer, and he HATES it. He's amazing at everything from baseball, to chess, to dancing, but he won't participate in anything. Him and his accomplice Mike Webster start to plot different devious ways to escape summer camp.

I liked this book a lot and as you can see, I put it on my favourites shelf and rated it five stars. I thought it was really funny and fascinating, and I reading about the schemes and strategies that Mike and Rudy used to get off t
Stefanie
This is literally the funniest book I have ever read in my life! It is a great book for boys AND girls. I would love to meet Rudy in real life. I don't think I would ever stop laughing! If you are looking for a funny book, this is the book for you!
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • Jonathan Cleaned Up — Then He Heard a Sound: Or Blackberry Subway Jam
  • Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
  • The Root Cellar
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
  • The Great Brain at the Academy (Great Brain #4)
  • A Handful of Time
  • Devil on My Back (Arc One, #1)
  • The White Fox Chronicles
  • 101 Ways to Bug Your Parents
  • It Happened on a Train (Brixton Brothers, #3)
  • The Little Gymnast
  • Soup for President (Soup, #3)
  • My Perfect Guy (Sweet Valley Jr. High, #14)
Korman wrote his first book, "This Can't be Happening at Macdonald Hall", when he was 12 years old, for a coach who suddenly found himself teaching 7th grade English. He later took that episode and created a book out of it, as well, in "The Sixth Grade Nickname Game", wherein Mr. Huge was based on that 7th grade teacher.

Korman moved to New York City, where he studied film and film writing. While i
More about Gordon Korman...
One False Note (The 39 Clues, #2) The Emperor's Code (The 39 Clues, #8) The Medusa Plot (39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #1) Schooled Swindle