Start by marking “I Want to Go Home” as Want to Read:
I Want to Go Home

I Want to Go Home

4.47  ·  Rating Details ·  1,634 Ratings  ·  186 Reviews
Rudy Miller is so unhappy spending the summer at Camp Algonkian Island that he devises dozens of tricks to get himself sent home.
Unknown Binding, 176 pages
Published March 1st 2007 by Not Avail (first published February 28th 1985)

Jamie
Aug 17, 2007 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone with a soul
Shelves: youngadult
This book was, for many, many years, my favourite book of all time. My earliest memory of it was of getting in major trouble for laughing out loud while reading it under my desk in 5th grade, but that copy was already tattered.

Even though the book is out of print, I suggest that you track it down. This is one of the funniest books I have ever read.
Heather
Jan 07, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I no longer recognize teen angst. It is so full of werewolves, it bears no resemblance to either being a teen or feeling angst. And so I reread I Want to Go Home because it's about the kind of things that caused ME angst -- namely, summer camp.

Sometimes I think the secret of YA fiction is to read "boy books." If this had been written for girls, it would be about how summer camp is so awful because Girl A has to be away from her boyfriend and Girl B wants this other boy to like her who's also at
Kazuo
Dec 01, 2014 Kazuo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was... awesome. That is the only way I can describe the hilarious hijinks that lay within without spoiling the entire book.

[Spoiler]

One example of hilarious is something that Rudy writes on a sheet of paper and then tapes to Harold Greene's pillow: Betwixt these sheets sleepeth ye biggest twit in Ontario.
Wayne
Dec 26, 2008 Wayne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, fiction, juvenile
One of my all time favorite books. Still makes me laugh out loud.
Rudy Miller is a gifted natural athlete, but hates sports. He is also cynical, sarcastic, and apathetic. So his parents, on the advice of his school guidance counselor send him to camp for the summer. Rudy butts heads immediately with the overly enthusiastic camp counselors and hilarity ensues. Along with his equally unhappy friend Mike Webster, he decides to escape from the camp. Gordon Korman at his best.
Ruby Hollyberry
Gordon Korman's best books, of which this is one, are spit-your-coffee-at-the-cat hilarious. Almost every sentence in the book is funnier than the last. The general themes of this one, I would say, are the effective limits to the usefulness of stubbornness as a policy, and the awkwardness of possessing an unwieldy amount of genius. But don't listen to that, just go read it. Recommended to adults who want a chuckle as well as children.
Christine
Aug 30, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, young-adult
This was my absolute favorite book when I was eleven years old in Ontario, and I was brokenhearted when my paperback copy actually became too disgusting to read (stains, torn pages, mildew from reading it in the shower). I know it was reissued in recent years but I hated the new, "modern" cover. Gimme the original artwork! So imagine my surprise and total delight when, seventeen years after I first enjoyed it, I discovered a very good copy of my original version in a used book store in Yangpu di ...more
Anushka
Jan 09, 2012 Anushka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picked up a second hand copy of the book at a pet fair... fairly inconscpicuous. Until you start reading that is.

Definitely near the top of my 'all time favourite', a must read and an immediate mood lifter. Comedy and hilarity at its best!!!!

*(One of) My Favourite Quote(s)*

Rudy: Thar she blows
Mike: Thar what blows? *sits up* Rudy! There nothing blows! There's no wind! We have no wind!!!

Also noted for the generous use of the insults 'Nut' and 'Twit'.

Read the book and didn't like it? Work Detail!
Rebecca Rosenblum
I bought this for a young friend on the basis of many happy readings as a kid--but then I panicked, thinking maybe this kid's parent wouldn't approve of the book. So I reread the gift copy (bad!) and still loved it as I ever did, but I do worry that a parent might think the book is a bad influence. The kids break the rules ALL THE TIME, although the point is made that they are very honest and only catch the authority figures out in their own foolishness. It's actually very gentle comedy and ever ...more
Ashley Capes
Dec 06, 2014 Ashley Capes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a boy, this book made me laugh every single time I read it.

That's easily one of the best things I can think of getting from a story, and because it gave me hours and hours of happiness, there's no way I can rate it lower than five stars.

In I Want to Go Home! Rudy Miller is a gifted but easily bored and mischievous kid who has been sent to an island athletic camp where he proceeds to drive the entire staff mad with both his apathy and his cheeky escape attempts.

Part of what makes it so amusi
ALEX!!!! Hulbert
Mar 19, 2014 ALEX!!!! Hulbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l
Lana.
May 17, 2012 Lana. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a boy in possession of a summer vacation, must want to camp... at least that's the philosophy of Camp Algonkian. Wait until they meet Rudy Miller, who doesn't do camp or much anything else... except attempts to escape.

Hiliariously funny read as a child and still pretty amusing re-read as an adult. Though some aspects might be rather quaint and dated (1981 with no cell phones! No swearing!), the light-hearted comic wackiness of Korman's world (unbelie
People5accountant.com
Phil Jensen
Gordon Korman published this, his fifth or sixth novel, at the age of eighteen. Most 18 year olds are out writing manifestoes against the wickedness of the generation before them or nihilistic rants about their own future. Korman was way cooler than that. He penned a fluffy Wodehousian comedy pointing well-intentioned mockery at the institution of summer camps.

There is a brief call-out to The Fall of the House of Usher and a lot of parallels to Bartleby the Scrivener, but truly this is just a wa
Lisa
Jul 11, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Hysterical, barring any natural disasters.
Joel Tone
May 21, 2011 Joel Tone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read I Want to Go Home! to my kids. The whole family was laughing their heads off throughout the book. I Want to Go Home! is the story of Rudy Miller’s attempts to escape from Camp Algonkian where he’s been sent for a summer of fun.

One of the things that really strikes me as a grown-up re-reading Gordon Korman’s books is that there are no villains in his stories. This isn’t a hippie elf peace circle thing, it’s that the antagonists have conflicting, but valid, viewpoints. In this case, Rudy wa
Jordan Halsey
Jun 07, 2007 Jordan Halsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Introverts
I received this book from some kind of children's book club that I don't remember ever joining, but I'm definitely glad that it happened. This was my favorite book for the longest time. I read it so many times that the cover fell off. In essence it's the story of Rudy Miller and Mike Webster who are spending a summer at Camp Algonkian Island... but would rather not. The main plot of the book involves their various efforts to escape, efforts complicated by the fact that the camp IS on an island. ...more
Alexis
May 08, 2016 Alexis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I loved this book when I was a kid. I thought it was hilarious. Hadn't read it in years and picked up my old copy.

It's still funny and quite clever. Korman does overuse adverbs , and it was something I noticed a lot on this re-read.
L.N.
Aug 19, 2015 L.N. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rudy is a pro at chess, sports, swimming and pretty much everything. He doesn't want to go away to overnight camp - it's not his ideal summer - but the guidance counsellors at his school suggested it as a way for him to start making friends. At camp, he meets Mike Webster and becomes good friends with him. They attempt many challenges to breakout from camp. But with their counsellor Chip, trying to stop them from leaving, the escape is starting to get tough. Will they succeed in outsmarting thei ...more
Alison
Apr 29, 2015 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my absolute favorite books as a child, so much so that I saved it, one of the few remnants of the books I read then. I am glad I did, as it is out of print now. But, written by a 15-year-old Gordon Korman, who is a favorite of kids everywhere even now, it has aged beautifully, because it contains so much truth, humanity, and hysterical writing, set at summer camp, a refuge from the technology that pervades our world now.

I read this with my younger son starting a week ago, and he
Tayyaba (Tubz)
Apr 21, 2013 Tayyaba (Tubz) rated it it was amazing
This book is literally a part of my childhood. It was read to me by my grade 5 teacher, and ever since i've loved this book and recommend it to everyone. I remember every part because i've read it over a billion times and it never fails to amuse me even though i'm 17 right now. But age is merely a number when it comes to this book I'm so glad I have my own copy and Gordon Korman is by far one of my favourite authors.
Meg
This was my absolute favourite book as a kid. Sadly my non-reader of a mother tossed out my childhood book collection including my Korman books. Imagine my delight when I found a second hand copy of the second edition on Amazon recently! And it is still hilarious! A great book which I can't wait to pass onto my nieces and nephews when they get a little older.
Raelyn
Jan 23, 2014 Raelyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the book I want to go home, the main character is Rudy Miller. I was very involved at this camp called Camp Algonkian. Rudy's parents and the counselor do not want him to leave. He is an athletic kid but he does not like to play sports. He was sent to a camp in the summer.The counselor at the camp and Rudy did not get along. He really wanted to leave, but they would not let him. After awhile of him getting fed up with everything, him and his friend escape from the camp. There was a lot of con ...more
Caitlin
Dec 20, 2014 Caitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahhhhhhh! What a blast from the past! I was OBSESSED with this book when I was in middle school and read it at least a hundred times. I thought it was so funny - mainly the dialogue from the main character who was sarcastic and witty. I also related a lot to it because I spent so many years at summer camp, and the lame things about camp that the protagonist despises also annoyed me. There are a lot of issues here that any angsty pre-teen can grab onto: the desire to be "grown up" and independent ...more
Amy Rose
Jul 11, 2014 Amy Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadian
One of my favourite books as a child. I think I've read it over twenty times. I still have my copy and I pull it out every once in a while because it still catches my imagination. After all these years, I still hope they make a movie some day.
Lisa
Jun 20, 2007 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
this is one of my favorite childhood books, and every so often when i need a good laugh i pull it out. okay so it is meant for an adolescent audience, but is is still great.
Ameena
May 08, 2013 Ameena rated it it was amazing
OMIGAWD EVERYONE WHO SEES THIS REVIEW MUST READ I promise you'll love it we all DIED laughing funniest book EVER!!!!
Mononoke
Mar 20, 2013 Mononoke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me laugh sooo hard I actually fell off my bed a few times!
Jenny
Jan 17, 2011 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, childrens, funny
This one always makes me laugh so hard!
Kareena
Not exactly sure what to rate this yet, but I finally read this book! Everyone's been telling me over the years to read this and even though we owned the book I've never picked it up.
But I finally did and I'm glad. It was short, sweet and funny.

I've only read one other book by Gordon Korman and that was Schooled. His books are funny and I think I'd like to check out a couple more books by him.
I didn't find this book as funny. Probably because so many people told me it was funny.
Also the readin
Monique
You know.

Those books, that are just fun.

Plain, unadulterated fun.

This is the kind of book that makes reading fun.

Amusing, entertaining, I-loved-it-so-much-I-feel-like-screaming.
This book was just overwhelmingly awesome. Gordon Korman rightfully deserves my favorite author position, as the books I have read from him (especially his older ones) have kept me thoroughly entertained, giggling and chuckling with happy tears in my eyes, trying to not disturb my family. From Swindle, No More Dead Dogs,
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • The Root Cellar
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
  • Jonathan Cleaned Up — Then He Heard a Sound: Or Blackberry Subway Jam
  • Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
  • Stand in the Wind
  • The War Between the Pitiful Teachers and the Splendid Kids
  • The White Fox Chronicles
  • The Great Brain at the Academy (Great Brain #4)
  • It Happened on a Train (Brixton Brothers, #3)
  • Devil on My Back (Arc One, #1)
  • My Perfect Guy (Sweet Valley Jr. High, #14)
  • The Lights Go On Again
  • The Maestro
  • 101 Ways to Bug Your Parents
Korman wrote his first book, "This Can't be Happening at Macdonald Hall", when he was 12 years old, for a coach who suddenly found himself teaching 7th grade English. He later took that episode and created a book out of it, as well, in "The Sixth Grade Nickname Game", wherein Mr. Huge was based on that 7th grade teacher.

Korman moved to New York City, where he studied film and film writing. While i
More about Gordon Korman...