The Chocolate Lovers' Diet

The Chocolate Lovers' Diet

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,097 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Sequel to The Chocolate Lovers' Club.

Survival tips for times of stress:
1. Take deep breaths
2. Count to ten
3. Eat chocolate

When the four members of The Chocolate Lovers' Club call an emergency meeting they go straight to step 3.

Lucy Lombard thought her 'Happily Ever After' was all sewn up with her gorgeous boss Aidan, but she's just caught him in bed with another woman. As...more
Published August 9th 2007 by Headline Review (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate Lovers' Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chocolate Lovers' Diet

Rea Sinfield
For those of you who read my review last week on Carole Mathews book The Chocolate Lovers Club, you will know it was a huge hit for me and I couldn't wait to go and get the next book as there was a snippet of the next book in The Chocolate Lovers Club book.

I brought this book on Sunday and finished it on Tuesday morning. I enjoyed this book but I have to say it was not as good as the first one but I have to admit I do find that with many follow on books.

In The Chocolate Lovers Diet, we meet up...more
Marina
I love chocolate. I also loved the first book. So I couldn't wait to read the second one.

The story goes on. Four members of The Chocolate Lover's Club are moving forward. Lucy's boyfriend is in Australia, cheating her. As a revenge, she goes back to ex-boyfriend Marcus. Nadia's husband, Toby, seems to quit gambling. Autumn has a boyfriend, but her brother is back again. Sex kitten Chantal is pregnant (what a turnover, she doesn't like children). Who is the father? And, there is a wedding. Whose,...more
Sally Ross
This book would have been so much better if not for the homophobic comments laced throughout the book. Here's one passage:

"He's not gay, is he?"
"He might want to put me in a big pink meringue of a dress"
"I'll end up wearing some hideous monstrosity and probably fairy wings to boot"

Then this comment is made the same evening a gay couple break up:

"I was worried that it might take Clive a long time to get over Tristan, but perhaps this is a long time in the gay world".

I have saved the best for las...more
Aristhyia
If you're looking for a thoughtless, easy read, then this is it.

Uncomplicated plot, chick-flick drama and the chocolate-lover's nightmare. As in, chocolate is mentioned twice on every page. Not very good if you're pregnant and having cravings.

The characters feel shallow, two-dimensional, with most of their relationships in shambles and treated superficially, and if you're an advocate for the LGBT community, then you're going to have a bit of a cow on stereotyping alone (I know I did. Several tim...more
Elisabeth
“The Chocolate Lovers’ Diet” catches up with Amber, Lucy, Nadia and Chantal and picks up where Ms Matthews’ previous novel “The Chocolate Lovers’ Club” left off.
Lucy is all loved up with Crush but ex-fiancé Marcus is still lurking in the background, Amber is seeing her co-worker, Chantal is still trying to make a go of her marriage to Ted and Nadia is still separated from Toby but he swears he has given up online gambling. The only constant in these 4 women’s lives is the knowledge that if the c...more
Zippy
Hmmmm, enjoyed it, still loved the characters but it is maybe a book too far. There were a couple of things that were never explained satisfactorily that jarred with me, and characters acting out of ......well, out of character.....that annoyed me, but at the end of the day, a good, enjoyable, effortless read.
Shannon
The first book was naturally better than the sequel. It was still a fun read and I finished in a few hours. There seemed to be many more references to different types of chocolate (especially English brands) which was fun to read, but after a while I just wanted to skip the chocolate references.
Meaghan
I decided to review both books together as I read them one after another and I also believe them to just be one continuing story. They were at best okay. I found the main character Lucy to be quite irritating. A woman who never really finds herself and relies on her happiness and success to derive from men. That being said, none of the women in this book are that inspiring. The closest would be Autumn but for most of the books she spends her time being a doormat for her drug addicted brother. Ch...more
Rebecca
Ahh, the addiction to follow up books to books that were kind of ehh in the first place continues! This one was okay. I still liked the first one better. The main Girl was kind of annoying in this book, while I kind of liked her, sort of, in the first book. She jumped to a conclusion, which I find uber annoying and because of it, jumped back to her old boyfriend WHO SUCKS! It’s like, she needs love, so she’ll take anything she can get. Blah. But then the new guy turns into an ass too, but of cou...more
Kim
Lucy Lombard loves chocolate and is the founding member of The Chocolate Lovers’ Club. Fellow members include Autumn, Nadia and Chantal and they all agree that chocolate can cure anything from illness to a broken heart. They get together regularly at their little haven, a café called Chocolate Heaven which is base and almost a second home for them. They even have a code for calling crisis meetings – whenever a text message reading “Chocolate Crisis” goes out, they drop everything and head to Cho...more
Danielle
I really enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down. I was very shocked when Lucy got engaged again to Marcus i really thought she would have learnt from the first time what he was like. I didn't expect hinm to jilt her at the aisle though, she clearly wanted to marry him but he pulled out at the last minute.

I was very shocked when Toby fell to his death in Las Vegas, i really didn't expect that and it was really sad and my heart went out Nadia and Lewis. Things looked up for Nadia when she got...more
Aimee Ash
After reading the Chocolate Lovers Club I just had to read the next book in line. Once again the book was full of love life drama and giggles although I have to say that in no way were any of the ladies of the chocolate lovers club on a diet! By rights they should all be seriously over-weight and full of acne, but of course in the book they're far from this (a little un-realistic, but still loved it anyway.) I will say that I thought the ending was a little rushed after the huge build up of will...more
Marcia
Adorei!!! Desta vez as situacoes nao foram tao hilarias qto o primeiro, mas a escritora soube fazer uma sequencia perfeita e fechar todas as pontas soltas.
Ler um livro desse durante o feriado de pascoa foi interessante, pois foi so esticar o braco que o chocolate esta logo ali.
Mesmo a relacao delas com o chocolate chegarem ao insanamente absurdo vale a pena encarar esse livro...
Megumi -
This book, The Chocolate Lovers' Diet, by Carole Matthews is awesome book. This story is about the ladies who fall in love with someone. If one of the ladies get into the trouble or have emergency, they gather to the “The Chocolate Lovers’ Club” and talk what happened to them and cheer themselves up. These ladies have a lot of troubles, but because they have friends, they can come over their troubles.
I like this book very much because women usually have many troubles about friends’ issues and lo...more
Elise

I didn't read the first one and found this one on a hotel book shelf in France, leading me to believe that whoever put it there was not terribly smitten with it either. It's a very, very fluffy read, pure "chick lit" in that all the characters are in some kind of relationship crisis which they inevitably bumble through with obvious wrong assumptions and decisions only to be told they're gorgeous and perfect in the end. It was vaguely amusing at times, so if you find it on a hotel book shelf in...more
Agi
I have enjoyed this book much, much better as the first book in this series, although the first one was good as well:)
It was a total rollercoaster of happenings, things, accidents, a lot of them sooo unexpected:) I didn't have any idea what comes next and this is what I am really appreciating in books.
Of course it was not only about funny things and laugh, there were other problems such as gambling, drugs, death mentioned but it is nice that they didn't built the whole book and although they wer...more
Michelle
i enjoyed the sequel. the characters became more alive for me. but the swearing really ramped up in this book, unnecessarily. i could have done without that.
Kelly Simpson
Lucy lombard thought her 'Happily Ever After' was all sewn upwhen her gorgeous boss Aiden declared his love for her, burt she's just caught him in bed with another woman. As always, she's not the only one with problems - Autumn's new boyfriend has yet to meet her parents, Nadia's husband swears he's given up gambling but she just can't trust him, and Chantal is hoping to save her marriage, but not in quite the way she'd expected. It's not surprising that these girls are going to need a lot of ch...more
Kadia
Mi-as dori sa-i dau mai multe stele, poate 3 si jumatate, dar nu pot sa zic ca m-a surprins cu ceva. A fost amuzanta, usurica, rapid de citit, dar atat. Ma bucur sa stiu ca nu sunt singura obsedata de ciocolata.
Olwen White
I found this book a bit confusing. One minute it was first person and then the next it was third person. It took a while to get used to the continual jump in styles. There were a couple of things which niggled and didnt ring true. But the bit that irritated the most was the endless descriptions of chocolate. OK, its called the Chocolate Lover's Diet, so you expect a bit - but there is just so much of it - you end up skipping whole chunks of text just to get the story moving on.
Nissanmama
A solid 3.5 stars

This sequel to The Chocolate Lovers Club is too fluffy to be an "excellent" book, but it was nevertheless a good read. I finished it in nearly one sitting. Parts are desperately predictable, but the the characters are so endearing that you care about their drama. Unfortunately the book was only released in the UK and I had to do some digging to come up with a copy to read. It was worth my effort. I had to know that it ended the way I scripted it in my head.
Jenny
It's a great book and has some great characters. The main thing I really liked was the close friendship of the girls. I thought the main character, Lucy, and her storyline was slightly boring - the other girls were far more interesting. It is a great effort, but not one of her best books in my opinion. Full review: http://chocolatedigestivebiscuit.blog...
Julie
A good follow up to The Chocolate Lovers Club, great humour as always, wondered how they would top the jewellery heist in the first book but this was just as good, some predictable turns but some not so as well which kept it a page turner for me, many people will be able to relate to at least one of the characters making it all the more personal, a fantastic laugh a minute chick lit.
Danielle
I think Carole Matthews is the best author going, I did not realise this was part of a sequel So I will be looking forward to be reading the other books. I felt like I can relate to all of the charachters and the writing style flows very well.
If you love your chick lit then this is the book for you, I might have to read the first book and then read this one again.

Joolz
Again, I couldnt put this down! Its typically trashy, girly and fun. Was sad when the book ended and i had to say goodbye to the characters... Its kind of like knowing you shouldnt be watching Eastenders but you know you love it and cant wait for the Omnibus on Sunday! Its certainly put Carole Matthews on my map and will certainly be reading more of hers ASAP!
Tiina
What's not to love in the title of the book! If only! I had really high hopes!

But what a disappointment! I just could not finish this - did not even get past the first 100 pages. Incredibly, there was too much chocolate. The main character was a dimwit, and I could not care less whether she got together with her ex or her Crush. Bo-ring. No more of this, please.
Artemisa
Jun 18, 2011 Artemisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
i was starting this book to read something that is not fantasy wich has been allmost all I seem to read this day. I was 1 chapter into the book when I got here and saw that this is the second book of a series. from the chapter I have read I guess I would be able to get the story. but I'm puting this on hold until I get the first one.
Karen
Loved this book. It is the sequel to 'The Chocolate Lovers' Club' and it carries on nicely from where you finish. I could not put this book down. All four girls return and they are still having the problems and some of the things they get up to had me laughing out loud. Hope that Carole writes another book to go with this series.
Adlynnz
i love this book!

probably because i am biased and i love themes on friendships. throw in chocolates, and i'm sold! this was a joyful book to read, light with fun issues and also more serious issues like infidelity, gambling addiction and drug addiction. a weird mix for chic lit but it works. love it!
  • The Yorkshire Pudding Club
  • Going Dutch
  • The Good, The Bad And The Dumped
  • The Charm Bracelet
120535
Carole Matthews is an international bestselling author of hugely successful romantic comedy novels. Her unique sense of humour has won her legions of fans and critical acclaim all over the world.

A Minor Indiscretion and A Compromising Position both reached the Top 5 in the Sunday Times bestseller chart in the UK. You Drive Me Crazy reached number 8 in the original fiction charts. The novel Welcom...more
More about Carole Matthews...
Girls Night Out (Red Dress Ink Novels) With or Without You The Chocolate Lovers' Club For Better, for Worse Wrapped Up in You