Start by marking “The Ultimate Ice Cream Book: Over 500 Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, Drinks, And More” as Want to Read:

Ice cream lover's, The Ultimate Ice Cream Book is the last cookbook you'll ever need. Learn how to make over 500 ice creams, sorbets, gelatos, granitas and drinks with this well-researched and well-tested recipe book.
Published May 19th 1999 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Ice Cream Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Ice Cream Book

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
1,034 books — 998 voters
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelRocky Road by Rose KentLet Me Eat Cake by Leslie F. MillerCoffee, Tea or Me? The Uninhibited Memoirs of Two Airline Ste... by Trudy Baker
Summery Treat Books
65 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Rosa
Oct 26, 2007 Rosa rated it liked it
Marked down for: Strawberry ice cream came out icy and crunchy after being in the fridge overnight (although to be fair, I'm wondering if that happens w/ all fruit-based homemade ice creams, that they must be eaten right out of the machine or they'll turn to ice), vanilla was a bit oversweet. Lemon sorbet recipe calls for egg white, which I've not seen in other sorbet recipes & which I (perhaps unfairly) find somewhat unappetizing. No recipe for peach sorbet. No photos. Often calls for extra ...more
Punk
Sep 14, 2011 Punk rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Cookbook. Minimal introduction, no pictures, no tips on how not to scramble your custard. It doesn't even tell you what temperature to cook your eggs! The recipes start with a basic flavor, like banana, and then go into variations like banana coconut, banana nut, banana chocolate, etc. Useful if you have a favorite flavor and are looking for something a little different. Also does sorbets, granitas, shakes, drinks, cones, toppings and sauces.

Three stars. Won't make a good resource book, but if y
William
Sep 24, 2011 William rated it it was amazing
I originally got this book and the Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book book together. I used the Ben and Jerry's book for quite some time because of how much easier the recipes were. Once I started taking the time out to use the recipes in this book, I was well rewarded. I have now recommended this book as the must have ice cream book and have continued to find great recipes in it. My favorite right now is to follow the peanut butter ice cream recipe and replace the peanut bu ...more
Kate
Apr 18, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing
Excellent book with flavors alphabetized to make it easy. This is my go-to ice cream book for simple flavors and flavor substitutions. Once you understand the basic steps of making a cream base, you can make any flavor.

Some favorites:
cinnamon
any kind of black tea
burnt sugar, aka caramel
lemon or any kind of citrus sorbet

Chocolate ice creams are more difficult to make properly, and usually pass on those. However chocolate gelato turns out well and wonderful. So I recommend trying his gelato book.
Rebecca McNutt
May 11, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
I'm horrible at cooking things; I've tried baking, stir-fry, barbequing, and the final extent of my abilities is that I can make Jell-O, microwave brownies and canned chicken noodles. So, I figured maybe I'd be good with ice cream.

This book was excellent; it was detailed yet simplistic and easy to follow, and there was no end of different recipes and varieties. There was even a recipe for my favorite ice cream, rainbow sorbet!

description

Joy to the world. :)
Emily
May 31, 2008 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
exhaustive collection of recipes, some of which are absolutely delicious -- but the book is totally lacking in musings. i wish he'd explain why he put cornstarch in this recipe and flour in that one, or used more cream in this one and more whole milk in that one. and what's the big idea with oatmeal ice cream?
Desi
Jul 16, 2009 Desi rated it really liked it
SO MANY RECIPIES! Easy to follow recipes fit for at home size ice cream makers. Plus, each recipe has a list of 4-8 changes that could be made that would enhance or add to the recipe. This is a book worth owning for anyone who loves ice cream and wants to make quality product at home.
Heidi
Dec 22, 2008 Heidi rated it really liked it
This book contains many basic recipes for ice creams, with additional suggestions for variations on each type. The instructions are simple and clear. It may not be very interesting to experienced ice cream makers, but would be a good starting point for someone new to ice cream making.
Brett
Jul 31, 2008 Brett rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who love ice cream and foodies
Shelves: cookbooks
The book rocks if you want to make your own ice cream and sorbet. Try the Peanut Butter Ice cream or the Cantaloupe & Basil sorbet. Hum all the way around. This gets a Brett's Food Choice Award..
Jessica
Jan 15, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, desserts
Great collection of ice cream recipes, with a wide variety of flavors I'd have never thought of (Earl Grey Tea ice cream, anyone?). I tried a wide variety and all of them were very tasty.
May
Mar 02, 2012 May rated it really liked it
Again, haven't tried the recipes yet, but they all sound so good. His many suggestions for variation are much appreciated as well.
Johanna Mejia
Johanna Mejia rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2008
Mayra
Mayra rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Angelina S Romero
Angelina S Romero rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2013
Ang Gladies
Ang Gladies rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Paolo
Paolo rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2012
jodi d goebel
jodi d goebel rated it really liked it
May 14, 2015
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2011
Chris Junker
Chris Junker rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Jacob W
Jacob W rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2014
Kristian
Kristian rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2011
Deborah McManus
Deborah McManus rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Sohaila Zeid
Sohaila Zeid rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2012
Liz Mccarthy
Liz Mccarthy rated it liked it
May 08, 2014
Rodrigo Acuna
Rodrigo Acuna rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Dennis A. Leighow
Dennis A. Leighow rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2014
  • Mrs. Fields Cookie Book: 100 Recipes from the Kitchen of Mrs. Fields
  • The Whimsical Bakehouse: Fun-to-Make Cakes That Taste as Good as They Look
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook: 350 Essential Recipes for Inspired Everyday Eating
  • Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book
  • Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe: Breakfast Served All Day
  • Moosewood Restaurant Book of Desserts
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • La Cucina: The Regional Cooking of Italy
  • Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads
  • The Boozy Baker: 75 Recipes for Spirited Sweets
  • Cheese Primer
  • Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones: 90 Recipes for Making Your Own Ice Cream and Frozen Treats from Bi-Rite Creamery
  • 101 Things to Do with a Cake Mix
  • Luscious Lemon Desserts
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Mr. Boston Official Bartender's & Party Guide
Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough are QVC favorites with five sell-out appearances. They've appeared on everything from the Today show to corporate-sponsored events, making ice cream, gelati, sherberts, and sorbets. They're also experts on the desserts that pair with these frozen treats, having written bestselling brownie and cookie books and all-purpose cookbooks with desserts aplenty and count ...more
More about Bruce Weinstein...