Start by marking “The Ultimate Ice Cream Book: Over 500 Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, Drinks, And More” as Want to Read:

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  411 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The Ultimate Ice Cream Book contains enough recipes to fill your summer days with delicious frozen desserts -- but after acquainting yourself with this book's hundreds of tempting concoctions, you'll want to use it every day of the year. With over 500 recipes, author Bruce Weinstein has put together the most comprehensive cookbook of its kind, covering just about every con ...more
Published May 19th 1999 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Ice Cream Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Ice Cream Book

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
212th out of 1,009 books — 995 voters
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelRocky Road by Rose KentLet Me Eat Cake by Leslie F. MillerCoffee, Tea or Me? The Uninhibited Memoirs of Two Airline Ste... by Trudy Baker
Summery Treat Books
48th out of 65 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca McNutt
May 11, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
I'm horrible at cooking things; I've tried baking, stir-fry, barbequing, and the final extent of my abilities is that I can make Jell-O, microwave brownies and canned chicken noodles. So, I figured maybe I'd be good with ice cream.

This book was excellent; it was detailed yet simplistic and easy to follow, and there was no end of different recipes and varieties. There was even a recipe for my favorite ice cream, rainbow sorbet!

description

Joy to the world. :)
Rosa
Oct 26, 2007 Rosa rated it liked it
Marked down for: Strawberry ice cream came out icy and crunchy after being in the fridge overnight (although to be fair, I'm wondering if that happens w/ all fruit-based homemade ice creams, that they must be eaten right out of the machine or they'll turn to ice), vanilla was a bit oversweet. Lemon sorbet recipe calls for egg white, which I've not seen in other sorbet recipes & which I (perhaps unfairly) find somewhat unappetizing. No recipe for peach sorbet. No photos. Often calls for extra ...more
Jessica
Jan 16, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, desserts
Great collection of ice cream recipes, with a wide variety of flavors I'd have never thought of (Earl Grey Tea ice cream, anyone?). I tried a wide variety and all of them were very tasty.
Punk
Sep 14, 2011 Punk rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Cookbook. Minimal introduction, no pictures, no tips on how not to scramble your custard. It doesn't even tell you what temperature to cook your eggs! The recipes start with a basic flavor, like banana, and then go into variations like banana coconut, banana nut, banana chocolate, etc. Useful if you have a favorite flavor and are looking for something a little different. Also does sorbets, granitas, shakes, drinks, cones, toppings and sauces.

Three stars. Won't make a good resource book, but if y
Charlene
Apr 25, 2014 Charlene rated it it was amazing
Excellent recipes for my kitchenaid ice cream maker
Jessieirwin
Jul 30, 2014 Jessieirwin rated it it was amazing
Delicious, innovative and clear.
William
Oct 14, 2011 William rated it it was amazing
I originally got this book and the Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book book together. I used the Ben and Jerry's book for quite some time because of how much easier the recipes were. Once I started taking the time out to use the recipes in this book, I was well rewarded. I have now recommended this book as the must have ice cream book and have continued to find great recipes in it. My favorite right now is to follow the peanut butter ice cream recipe and replace the peanut bu ...more
Kate
Apr 18, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing
Excellent book with flavors alphabetized to make it easy. This is my go-to ice cream book for simple flavors and flavor substitutions. Once you understand the basic steps of making a cream base, you can make any flavor.

Some favorites:
cinnamon
any kind of black tea
burnt sugar, aka caramel
lemon or any kind of citrus sorbet

Chocolate ice creams are more difficult to make properly, and usually pass on those. However chocolate gelato turns out well and wonderful. So I recommend trying his gelato book.
Emily
May 31, 2008 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
exhaustive collection of recipes, some of which are absolutely delicious -- but the book is totally lacking in musings. i wish he'd explain why he put cornstarch in this recipe and flour in that one, or used more cream in this one and more whole milk in that one. and what's the big idea with oatmeal ice cream?
Heidi
Apr 19, 2014 Heidi rated it really liked it
This book contains many basic recipes for ice creams, with additional suggestions for variations on each type. The instructions are simple and clear. It may not be very interesting to experienced ice cream makers, but would be a good starting point for someone new to ice cream making.
Desi
Aug 21, 2009 Desi rated it it was amazing
SO MANY RECIPIES! Easy to follow recipes fit for at home size ice cream makers. Plus, each recipe has a list of 4-8 changes that could be made that would enhance or add to the recipe. This is a book worth owning for anyone who loves ice cream and wants to make quality product at home.
Brett
Jul 31, 2008 Brett rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who love ice cream and foodies
Shelves: cookbooks
The book rocks if you want to make your own ice cream and sorbet. Try the Peanut Butter Ice cream or the Cantaloupe & Basil sorbet. Hum all the way around. This gets a Brett's Food Choice Award..
May
Mar 02, 2012 May rated it really liked it
Again, haven't tried the recipes yet, but they all sound so good. His many suggestions for variation are much appreciated as well.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
Some very good ice cream and sorbet recipes--one of the best resources for this that I have found
Karen
Apr 24, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
Some interesting combinations if a little dated. I was looking for even more adventurous mixtures.
Rebekah Lewis
May 31, 2013 Rebekah Lewis rated it really liked it
so many great recipes
so little time

Get this if...
* You have an ice cream maker
Kristin
Jan 11, 2008 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Very thorough book with tons of recipes. The honey ice cream recipe is delicious!
Summer
Jun 22, 2008 Summer rated it it was amazing
I've made three recipes from this book (so far) and loved them all.
Susan Howson
Sep 22, 2007 Susan Howson rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
If you have an ice cream maker, you need to have this book.
Mike
Mar 24, 2007 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is my ice cream Bible.
Da'lynise Weathersby
Da'lynise Weathersby marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Ashley Gibson
Ashley Gibson marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Victoria Riley
Victoria Riley marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Melina Rose Hudson
Melina Rose Hudson marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
florence finley
florence finley marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Becky Armstrong
Becky Armstrong marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Angie Cain
Angie Cain rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
adityadiwan
adityadiwan rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Mrs Sally Ann Stevenson
Mrs Sally Ann Stevenson marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
  • Mrs. Fields Cookie Book: 100 Recipes from the Kitchen of Mrs. Fields
  • The Whimsical Bakehouse: Fun-to-Make Cakes That Taste as Good as They Look
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook: 350 Essential Recipes for Inspired Everyday Eating
  • Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book
  • Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe: Breakfast Served All Day
  • Moosewood Restaurant Book of Desserts
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • La Cucina: The Regional Cooking of Italy
  • Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads
  • The Boozy Baker: 75 Recipes for Spirited Sweets
  • Cheese Primer
  • Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones: 90 Recipes for Making Your Own Ice Cream and Frozen Treats from Bi-Rite Creamery
  • 101 Things to Do with a Cake Mix
  • Luscious Lemon Desserts
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Mr. Boston Official Bartender's & Party Guide
Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough are QVC favorites with five sell-out appearances. They've appeared on everything from the Today show to corporate-sponsored events, making ice cream, gelati, sherberts, and sorbets. They're also experts on the desserts that pair with these frozen treats, having written bestselling brownie and cookie books and all-purpose cookbooks with desserts aplenty and count ...more
More about Bruce Weinstein...