You, and No Other

You, and No Other (St. Briac Novel #1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  19 reviews
"I find that I am in love with Mademoiselle de Fleurance," said St. Briac to the King. "I came here to ask her to be my wife."

What a thrill to hear those words from him! Yet Aimee was certain that he spoke them out of pity, not love. St. Briac knew that only his own marriage proposal could keep the king from seducing her -- a fate she was desperate to avoid.

Aimee tried to...more
Mass Market Paperback, 342 pages
Published July 12th 1984 by Ballantine Books

Leslie Parrish
“I first read You And No Other many years ago, when it was released in paperback form. It has always been on my “top five” romance novel list. In recent years, with the explosion of older titles being re-released in e-book form, I’ve had a chance to revisit some of those older titles. Sadly, out of my “top five” list, this book is the only one that kept its spot.

When I sit and wonder why this book was so special, then and now, I know it comes down to the hero. Yes, the French setting in the cour...more
Mhollie
This is a fantastic book. I read in 1984 when it came out and I must have read it 10 times since then. I love the banter between Aimee & St. Briac and how she drives him to distraction with her crazy schemes. I like to think of this book as a historical romance with a comedy of errors on the side. St. Briac is one of my favorite romantic heroes. I even copied their wedding bands for my wedding. "Tu et nul autre, pour jamais". I just can't say enough good things about this book! Can't wait to...more
Shauni
You and No Other is the Crown Jewel in Cynthia Wright’s illustrious writing career. As a Romance Novel it fulfills all the requirements A Hero to die for, a stubborn Heroine. Great secondary characters (If one can call France’s most charismatic King a secondary character), forces willing to keep the couple apart, Court Intrigue, Family Dynamics and oh yeah a glorious setting. Re Reading this book almost 30 years after it was written did not diminish the sheer wonder of the story.

Thomas Mardouet,...more
Carol Storm
After making a name for herself with a brilliant series of American Colonial love stories, Seventies romance giant Cynthia Wright turned to Medieval France for inspiration.

With her striking black hair and green eyes, Aimee de Fleurance was a magnet for unsuitable suitors. Yet when she ran away from home disguised as a page boy, she soon met the most irresistable and absolutely unsuitable suitor of all!

Set in France in the 1500's, this book contains all of Cynthia Wright's trademarks. The heroi...more
Lorelle
Jun 25, 2011 Lorelle rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: wants to read a fantastic historical romance
Recommended to Lorelle by: Lilly Bart
A delightful love story set in Renaissance France during the reign of King Francois 1. I enjoyed the laughter that the two main characters often shared. Thomas is now one of my favorite heros.
Shauni

Thomas Mardouet,...more
Karen
After reading a positive review of You, and No Other I decided to pick this one up from the Kindle Store. This title has just been re-vamped as an ebook I believe and at only $0.99 is well worth the read.

An era that I love to read about (the year is 1532), I enjoyed reading a little more about the French Court of this era.

At times I felt quite concerned that this couple were going to get their HEA and felt at times I could easily bump their heads together.

A lovely read though and I'm looking fo...more
Debbie
Fabulous, fabulous book! Loved the banter between Thomas and Aimee. Loved the story. Can't say enough about it. Historical fiction books are one of my favorite genres (spellig) of books. Especially when there is a budding romance involved.
Kari
Loved Thomas and Aimee! This is an oldie, but it hasn't lost its charm. It was different for me since the story takes place in France instead of England. Loved the descriptions and the romance. The new cover is also very nice:)
Anna Markland
Really enjoyed this lush, descriptive romance, set in the reign of Francois I of France. Well researched and fun to read. Very appealing hero. Glad Cynthia has reissued this book digitally.
Chris
This was a fantastic read!!
Nikki Bywater
This is a historical romance novel, set in the reign of King Francois in France in the sixteenth century.

To escape an arranged marriage Aimee De Fleurance runs away to join the court of King Francois. It was actually her sister Honorine who had been invited to court by the King and Aimee has sneakily taken her place. Once Aimee arrives she must try and avoid been discovered by the King. When Thomas (St Briac) recognises Aimee from an earlier meeting, he agrees to help Aimee, but when the King go...more
Lori McD

A bit syrupy sweet for my taste, but overall, a fun romp of a historical romance. This tale is set in 1526, when Francois I (King of France) has just been returned from being held by Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor and ruler of Spain. Charles and Francois don't see eye-to-eye on the Bourbon district, taken back by France in a recent war. But Charles isn't just letting Francois go; it's an exchange - Francois' 2 eldest sons (8 and 6 respectively) are to go to Spain under guard in Francois'...more
Samie Kauchis
Loved this book. It really sends you on an emotional rollercoaster and reminded me of Bertrice Small's writing. Aimee and St. Briac were engaging and smartly written... Plus all the secondary characters were well thought out too. I'll definitely look for more from this author.
Lynn
Kindle freebie.
I am not a huge fan of most historical romance novels with only a few exceptions. This was not one of them. It seemed fairly typical for its genre.
Lisa
I loved Thomas and Aimee! This is another great story by Cynthia Wright.
Donette
Too many French words and it was a bit cheesy.
Thi
I just couldn't get into it.
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Lovetoread
Lovetoread marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
  • The Taming (Cameron, #1)
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • To Love a Scoundrel (Law and Disorder, #4)
  • Till Dawn Tames the Night
  • The Wind and the Sea
  • The Flesh and the Devil
  • Twin Passions
  • The Warrior's Touch
  • A Wild Night's Bride (The Devil DeVere #1)
  • Lady Of Fire (Fire, #1)
  • Echoes in the Mist
  • Days of Rakes and Roses (Sons of Sin, #1.5)
  • Love and War (Coltrane, #1)
  • Dream a Little Dream
  • The Defiant One (de Montforte, #3)
  • The Rogue Pirate's Bride (The Sons of the Revolution, #3)
  • Highland Vengeance (Highlands Trilogy, #1)
  • Rose of Rapture
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Cynthia Wright says:
Because so many readers have asked, "In what order should I read the Beauvisage & Raveneau books?" - here is that oft-requested list!
Although the titles stand alone, these two series intertwine with some characters crossing over, and many readers enjoy them in chronological order:
1781 - SILVER STORM
1783 - CAROLINE
1789 - TOUCH...more
More about Cynthia Wright...
Silver Storm (Raveneau #1) Caroline (Beauvisage, #1) Touch The Sun (Beauvisage, #2) Surrender the Stars (Raveneau #2) Spring Fires (Beauvisage, #3)