Start by marking “Why Do People Hate America?” as Want to Read:
Why Do People Hate America?

Why Do People Hate America? (Why Do People Hate America #1)

Many people do hate America, in the Middle East and the developing countries as well as in Europe. Sardar and Davies explore the global impact of America's foreign policy and its corporate and cultural power.
Published May 1st 2005 by Icon Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Why Do People Hate America?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Do People Hate America?

Paul Bryant
Oct 26, 2007 Paul Bryant rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my American friends
Shelves: modern-life
Well, in some chapters the authors choose very bizarre aspects of American TV culture to focus on, and their style isn't especially inviting - in fact it's rather horrible - and in every way I would have preferred someone else to write this necessary book. But they didn't. Anyway, Americans should take a peek at this just to get a little flavour of the way a whole swathe of the world's population thinks about their great - and frightening - country.
Michael
Aug 25, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very insightful book on our culture of dominance militarily, economically, scientifically, and globally. American corporations have the backing of our military and their global influence around the world effects every culture on earth. We have created much riches around the world as well as severe poverty which brings much despair and frustration. Our interests come first whether it's with a country with a democratic election or a dictator and we sometimes decide who will protect out interests a ...more
PolicemanPrawn
This is about why people hate American - and it isn't because they hate America's freedoms, the authors claims. There is plenty of good content in here, which is rarely voiced by so-called intellectuals, in the media or academia; Noam Chomsky offers praise on the cover. A critical observation is how Americans and Westerners like to see themselves as moral and civilised, incapable of doing any wrong, despite their extensive history, while viewing others as savages. Contributing factors to the dis ...more
Loay Elshamy
Jan 02, 2016 Loay Elshamy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
لماذا يكره العالم أمريكا ؟

عنوان شدني مرة بوقعه ومرات بوجوده ضمن رفوف مكتبة سوق المنوعات بمطار جدة، التهمت عيناي 40 صفحة قبيل وأثناء التحليق عائداً إلى الرياض مساء غرة فبراير 2014، ما بقي من صفحاته الأربعمائة تناولته في وجبتي قراءة أو ثلاث على مدى الأسابيع التالية.
كتاب قديم نسبياً أن يقرأ بعد 13 سنة من صدوره الأصلي بالإنجليزية وثماني سنوات من ترجمته إلى العربية رغم الصدى الكبير الذي أحدثه إبان الجدل حول عنوانه الذي انتشر في الإعلام العالمي كانتشار صور سبتمبر النيويوركية لورود ذات العبارة على لسان
Lisa
Aug 06, 2010 Lisa rated it it was ok
I found this book quite frustrating. It has this awful gimmick of introducing its points through TV shows and movies. It didn’t really get into anything of substance until chapter 3. After you get passed the synopsis of Alias and how it related to Amercias view of the world, you finally get some meat. Our military intervention is outlined, our manipulative economic sanctions are brought to light, our tactics for keeping poor countries poor are exposed.

But the author also likes to throw in quest
Raghad
Mar 09, 2010 Raghad rated it really liked it
اعجبني كثيراً .. تكلّم بموضوعية وتوضيح كبير للحركات السياسية التي تقوم بها أمريكا مع العالم خاصة مع الشرق الأوسط وأثرها السلبي على الشعوب والحضارات.. يغيّر كثيرًا من فكرة الامريكيين بأن العالم أشرار يكرهون أمريكا ! دون أن يعوا ما معنى أمريكا في الاجزاء الأخرى من العالم !
Sof Kabuki
Dec 27, 2012 Sof Kabuki rated it it was amazing
Five stars for knowledge shared.
All through the read was...
really? Really? And really??
True controversial yet self revelation about the world on the influential media.
Nathan Willkie
Jul 17, 2017 Nathan Willkie rated it really liked it
Outdated but the principles hold true
Chris
Mar 18, 2017 Chris rated it did not like it
Scott Worden
Aug 20, 2012 Scott Worden rated it it was ok
Chapters 1 and 2 discuss how Americans look at themselves through movies and TV shows and how it considers itself as the hero and doesn't listen to views of other world leaders. It will go alone if it has to. The points are valid but a bit of a stretch if you are getting those ideas from movies so I wasn't convinced at that point. It quoted people like Ann Coulter and Rich Lowry (extreme cases) and how they felt we needed to bomb Muslim countries after 9-11. The book fails to mention that most p ...more
Paul Westwood
Nov 18, 2015 Paul Westwood rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
A very interesting book that covers all the different facets of America's foreign policy that leads so much of the world to hate them. There's the obvious stuff about the way they invade other countries on the pretense of human rights when in fact they're only covering their own interests. Then there are other aspects I wasn't aware of like their influence in the WTO and IMF and how they use 'free trade' as another tool to gain advantage and force the developing world into submission. The book a ...more
Jesse Gonko
Oct 02, 2013 Jesse Gonko rated it really liked it
I read the book "Why Do People Hate America?" this book was written by Ziauddin Sardar and Merryl Wyn Davies. The authors purposes for writing this book was to inform the people of the educated world of the wrong doings of America. The wrong doings that this book speaks of gives Americans the reasons why other countries hate America so much. It also exposed the hold the America has over other countries. The authors clearly stated there purpose in the title and many times throughout the book, "W ...more
Cameron
Nov 20, 2014 Cameron rated it it was ok
The authors purpose for writing this book is to show Americans why people might hate them. The book was written so Americans might see these reasons and make people not "hate" them. I thought that the information was old and I did not agree with some of it.

The theme of the book is why people hate America. The author is trying to say that not everyone thinks the same as Americans and sometimes Americans mess up what the rest of the world wants. The rest of the world also might hate america becau
Beorn
I expected more from this.
I was sold on the idea of a book dissecting why 'America' (read: the USA) has earned the acrimony and animosity of many people around the world.
I thought it would be an incisive analytical diagnosis of American foreign policy and other such political pebbles dropped in the proverbial pond, seeing how the ripples affected the way America was viewed.

What I got was a wishy-washy book meandering through ramshackle avoidances of causing any possible offence to anyone, tryin
Tank Green
Feb 07, 2010 Tank Green rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all americans, right-wing brits.
Shelves: history, media
funner than fun for the most part. he says something like, in the post-modern world, the only universalism left is a generalised loathing of america. ha! too true, me thinks. sometimes i feel ashamed i lived in (and loved) such a greedy place/people for so long... :(

chapters 1-4 & 7 were excellent (if sometimes simplistic), but 5 & 6 were pretty weak. his analysis of current affairs is much better than his historical analysis (which was often off, imo).

anyway, a good read and i'd really
sologdin
not a bad little text. discussions of mass culture dissemination is not as important, I think, as military invasions and debt leverage imperialism, which are also considered.

great bit, from the 17th century colonial period, wherein some New England puritans had a little town hall meeting regarding native americans and resolved as follows:

The land is God's to dispose of how He will: voted.
God wills that the land be given to His chosen people: voted.
We are His chosen people: voted.

that basically s
Drew Pyke
Jan 15, 2013 Drew Pyke rated it liked it
The publishers say this isn't another 911 narrative but its difficult to argue the pretext for this book other than the threat of Islamic terrorism on the US. Style of book is more essay formatted but not academic in the slightest to put you off. You do learn lots from this but would definitely recommend reading this with Samuel Huntington's Clash of Civilizations. The general point I think this book offers is that the world doesn't hate America or Americans or culture, just the hawk like foreig ...more
Rabia
Jan 16, 2016 Rabia rated it it was amazing
I found this book to contain vast amounts of useful material. As a person who is delving into the complexity of Americas influence and relationship with the world, I was able to easily grasp the key concepts and formulate new understanding on the issue - a point often missing in more complex books. I would definitely recommend this to people who are starting their journey in current affairs in regard how dominant politics has been shaped by this super power, or in the books words "hyper". A must ...more
Michael O'Donnell
Aug 23, 2011 Michael O'Donnell rated it really liked it
A fine read. It adds a different perspective to events of the world and the media.

The use of the popular movies and TV shows as examples detracted a little but I guess it was written for an American audience. These were analogies they could readily understand.

It provides reasons why the rest of the world should be concerned with America and its actions but provides no real hope that this will change.

MOD
Rahman
Insightful, while the book is kind of one-sided, i guess you cant really delve into all the wrongs while laminating all the good things. Its really easy to simplify why terrorist and others hate America but this book breaks it down and shares some eye opening research. Living in countries where i have seen first hand how America is both loved an hated by the same people it was an interesting read.
Eyun
Feb 03, 2008 Eyun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: American Patriots, Anyone interested in world politics
Ever wonder why other 'terrorist' countries attack the United States? This book gives some insightful history regarding the US' foreign policy and what it has done to make others mad.

I will warn you that by reading this book, people will assume you hate America. It is an unfortunate title, but a worthy read. It opened my eyes and give a view of world politics beyond what major network news is willing to tell.
Emily
Mar 24, 2012 Emily rated it it was ok
Interesting perspective written by Western Europeans. They attempt to explain the Middle East's view of America as well but I took that with a grain of salt - I would rather hear it from a Middle Easterner. Offensive and a bit too elementary at times. This was written shortly after 911 in response to Americans asking why other countries hate us. According to the authors, the attack should have been absolutely no surprise.
Christy
Aug 02, 2007 Christy rated it really liked it
Shelves: thailand
This is another book I read while living in Thailand. I read it right around the time the US decided to invade Iraq. While the information in this book may not entirely be accurate, it was worthwhile to read an outside perspective of opinions and attitudes of why people both envy and fear the United States.

I have not found this book sold anywhere in the United States.
Mohammad Bazara
Jan 18, 2014 Mohammad Bazara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, history
الكتاب جميل جداً ,,
كانت عندي بعض الشك حول بعض الأمور في العالم ,,وأثبت صحتها هذا لكتاب.
بداينه كانت حلوة وسط الكتاب كان ممل نوعاً ما ,آخر فصل كان أفضل فصل لخص فيه كل الكتاب ,, لكنه لا يغنيك عن قرأة باقي الكتاب
Birgitta
Jun 06, 2015 Birgitta rated it really liked it
I bet this book could be an eye-opener to an american or two, if they've never considered the possibility that USAs interventions, military or otherwise, are not always welcome. It's interesting and paints in broad strokes, how USA can be regarded from an abroad perspective.
Paul Boyle
Sep 02, 2010 Paul Boyle rated it it was amazing
I read this a few years ago now,but I wont forget it.
A look inside the imperialistic mind of the US and A,and how it is pursuing the goal of total control throughout the world.
And why....well why it gets up peoples noses.
*t*r*a*c*y*
Nov 02, 2008 *t*r*a*c*y* rated it it was ok
Eye-opening to say the least!
Zeta T.
Feb 27, 2012 Zeta T. rated it liked it
The question ought to be a bit of a no brainer but this is pretty insightful.
Tenijha
Jan 09, 2011 Tenijha rated it really liked it
Should be required reading for every American citizen.
Michele Bergadano
Aug 14, 2014 Michele Bergadano rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pretende di analizzare la realtà americana basandosi sugli episodi della serie TV Alias; e quel che è peggio è la posizione antiscientifica verso le biotecnologie
  • The United States of Europe: The New Superpower and the End of American Supremacy
  • Rebels Against the Future: The Luddites and Their War on the Industrial Revolution: Lessons for the Computer Age
  • Serial Killers
  • Learning to Be White: Money, Race, and God in America
  • Left-handed History Of The World
  • This Gaming Life: Travels in Three Cities
  • Witchcraze: A New History of the European Witch Hunts
  • Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye!
  • Conscience Of A Liberal: Reclaiming The Compassionate Agenda
  • Worldly Goods: A New History of the Renaissance
  • List Your Self: Listmaking as the Way to Self-Discovery
  • 66 Days Adrift: A True Story of Disaster and Survival on the Open Sea
  • The Cult of Personality: How Personality Tests Are Leading Us to Miseducate Our Children, Mismanage Our Companies, and Misunderstand Ourselves
  • 5 Days in May: The Coalition and Beyond
  • Bildung. Alles, was man wissen muß
  • The New Rulers of the World
  • Always Right
  • Power Trip: A Decade of Policy, Plots and Spin
Ziauddin Sardar has written or edited 45 books over a period of 30 years, many with his long-time co-author Merryl Wyn Davies. Recent titles include Balti Britain: a Journey Through the British Asian Experience (Granta, 2008); and How Do You Know: Reading Ziauddin Sardar on Islam, Science and Cultural Relations (Pluto, 2006). The first volume of his memoirs is Desperately Seeking Paradise: Journey ...more
More about Ziauddin Sardar...

Why Do People Hate America (2 books)
  • Will America Change?