Start by marking “Independent Nation: How Centrism Can Change American Politics” as Want to Read:
Independent Nation: How Centrism Can Change American Politics

Independent Nation: How Centrism Can Change American Politics

With a fighting spirit, a fresh perspective, and flashes of humor, John P. Avlon tells the story of the vital center in American politics, from Theodore Roosevelt to the present day. Independent Nation is a rallying cry for the moderate majority of Americans who are tired of the intolerant voices on the far right and left and choose instead to walk an independent path betw ...more
Published February 22nd 2005 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Independent Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Independent Nation

Jon
Dec 01, 2009 Jon rated it liked it
Good history leasons on past leaders who were moderates. I am surprised by the list of them, Teddy Roosevelt, Harry Truman, John F. Kennedy, Woodrow Wilson, Bill Clinton, etc. The book essentially states that the most effective leaders in our history are ones that took a moderate and centrist view of things to squash the radical ideals from both the left and right. Additionally, that most Americans are now considering themselves independents not particular to either party any longer.

I am a litt
Shawn
Nov 15, 2008 Shawn rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, politics
The arguments that we are largely a centrist nation, and that presidential candidates therefore need to appeal to the middle to win in the general election are good, albeit a little repetitive. I get it: You need to appeal to the left or right wing to win the party nomination, and the center to win in the general, so we will tend to wind up with centrist candidates, or at ones that can sound that way around election time.
Derek
Feb 17, 2010 Derek is currently reading it
More of a case study of past politicians than a current roadmap. Neat look at how partisanship has always divided politics and hindered change while centrism has been the source of advancement.
Sam Snideman
Aug 28, 2011 Sam Snideman rated it liked it
I read this book in graduate school, when my political beliefs were crystallizing around centrist politics. It gives some very interesting, insightful profiles of centrist political figures in American history. I think it's a good place to start if you're looking to consider how moderates in America have shaped our government and our public policy, and if you'd like to see America move back to being the center-right country it's always been.
Michael
Jul 08, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Michael by: the author
Full disclosure: John is a good friend. Still, he is an excellent author and captures the nature and essence of political independence and idependents. A perfect read for this upcoming election.
Brad Fabian
Brad Fabian rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2008
Plaunie
Plaunie rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was ok
May 07, 2014
April
April rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2012
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2011
Tj Leavell
Tj Leavell rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2012
Larry
Larry rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2010
Jason Reese
Jason Reese rated it liked it
May 08, 2014
Geoffrey Kabaservice
Geoffrey Kabaservice rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2013
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Gina
Gina rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Shanahanthomas
Shanahanthomas rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2009
Christopher Jones
Christopher Jones rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2012
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2008
Rodney Frothingham
Rodney Frothingham rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Tom Doonan
Tom Doonan rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Bryon
Bryon rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2007
Karen Peyton
Karen Peyton rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Ross Cohen
Ross Cohen rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2015
Jan_m.
Jan_m. rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Jordan
Jordan rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Thing Two
Thing Two rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2010
Ian Kelquist
Ian Kelquist rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2007
Kirk
Kirk rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2013
John Phillips Avlon (born 1973) is the author of Independent Nation: How Centrists Can Change American Politics and Wingnuts: How the Lunatic Fringe is Hijacking America. He was a columnist and associate editor for The New York Sun and worked as chief speechwriter for former New York mayor Rudolph Giuliani. He was Director of Speechwriting and Deputy Policy Director for Giuliani's 2008 presidentia ...more
More about John P. Avlon...