Start by marking “The Game of Love and Chance” as Want to Read:
The Game of Love and Chance

The Game of Love and Chance

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  1,837 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The Game of Love and Chance centres on Silvia, a difficult-to-please young woman whose father has arranged that she marry Dorante, the most eligible bachelor in town. On the day that she is to meet Dorante, Silvia schemes to switch places with her maid, Lisette, so that she can secretly observe her suitor. Little does she know that Dorante has separately devised the exact ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Nick Hern Books (first published 1730)

To ask other readers questions about The Game of Love and Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Game of Love and Chance

·Karen·
Rea
Full review can be found here.

This is not one but two plays within a play, more or less following the three rules of theatre that dominated the writing of French plays at that time. (The one rule that isn’t fully respected is ‘action’ as the piece could have ended had Silvia not played out her second, not entirely necessary, play.) However, I liked this added extra to the play and considering how it did add to both Silvia’s and Dorante’s characters in the end.

I found it funny how neither class,
Anne
Excellent! Une merveilleuse pièce de théâtre!
Tellement bien écrite et bien pensée! J'ai aimé tous les personnages, surtout Dorante.
L'histoire se déroule en France, à Paris dans la maison d'une famille aisée. Silvia, fille de M.Orgon, est promise à Dorante, qui se trouve à être le fils de l'un de ses amis. Silvia, n'ayant jamais vu Dorante et étant réticente quant à épouser n'importe qui, propose un stratagème qui promet être divertissant. Afin de pouvoir observer Dorante à son aise lorsqu'il arr
Sophie
Cela reste assez classique, ce que je veux dire c'est qu'on arrive à percevoir le style de Marivaux.
Comédie assez banale, qui se rapproche beaucoup de 'L'île des Esclaves' ou encore 'Le Mariage de Figaro'.
Une comédie donc à lire en dilettante, qui reste agréable et drôle.
Ynes salhi
Le jeu de l'amour et du hasard est une pièce d'amour que je trouve légère et facile à lire .
Nadja A.
Super amüsant und geistreich, dieses Spiel von Liebe und Zufall.. :)
Rjj
Cute little play, but very predictable. Still, it made me smile.
Daria
Is cute. The French dig those monologues, though.
Theater, easy to read
Stephen  Alff (AlffBooks)
I loved reading this! It is very funny and so easy to read! I laughed quite a lot because of this book! I's witty, ridiculous and I read it with incredible ease!
It is also very short and could be read in one sitting I believe. I recommend this book to anyone who wants something light hearted to read or a play to read or just something that will make them smile and laugh and feel good(to a certain extent only)!

Marivaux has a talent for writing this kind of comedy that is completely ridiculous!
Paul Blakeman
One of the best books I have read in a long time. Marivaux successfully explores the theme of class divide in the 18th century. Reading this in the original French is much better than English as you can really see the way in which he conveys the difference between servant and master in the way language is used. I won't spoil the ending, but I shall leave you to decide whether this shows that the class divide really has been bridged.
Selby
It would be a challenge to re-read this one since it is en francais. That's correct, I still have several texts either from Freshman year in college or from high school, can't remember now, that I have been carting around from move to move ALL THESE YEARS. Still have my French/English dictionary too, so it could still happen.
Doris
Apr 12, 2008 Doris rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of classical comedies
Recommended to Doris by: my professor at university
Well - what to write about a classical comedy? Masters and servants decide to change their social roles to find out whether the respectively other side would be interested in them if they where from that other class... It's about social prejudice, about timidity and of course about love!
MissTree
i really loved this! Silvia's hard-to-get attitude pissed me off a couple of times but other than that, i found it very funny !
Marc L
Spontaan en vrolijk, zeer spitsvondig en goede structuur (voor op Molière), maar uiteraard niet echt diepgaand.
Julia
Pièce distrayante et agréable, souvent drôle, parfois légèrement émouvante... bien qu'un peu convenue.
Alex
The Game of Love and Chance is a delightful play. I found myself laughing out loud several times.
Gaby
Had to read it for a class, but I actually found it fairly funny and enjoyable. I enjoyed it.
W.B.
I love fluffy plays like this. People need to do modern transpositions of these things.....
Book Eater
I usually hate reading theater but I really enjoyed this!
Le chef-d'oeuvre, mondialement connu de Marivaux.
Marie-aimée
Une comédie légère et facile à lire. Distrayante.
Raluca
An excellent author and an excellent play.
Read for French lit. class. A lot of fun!
oOSarahOo
Une comédie distrayante.
Ollga
Ollga marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
  • On ne badine pas avec l'amour
  • Les Femmes savantes
  • La guerre de Troie n'aura pas lieu
  • Britannicus
  • Le Barbier de Séville, ou La Précaution inutile
  • Knock ou le triomphe de la médecine
  • Le Cid
  • Ruy Blas
  • The Infernal Machine and Other Plays
  • Les Diaboliques
  • Les Justes
  • L'Argent (Les Rougon-Macquart, #18)
  • Les Mains sales
Pierre Carlet de Chamblain de Marivaux (February 4, 1688 – February 12, 1763), commonly referred to as Marivaux, was a French novelist and dramatist.
He is considered one of the most important French playwrights of the 18th century, writing numerous comedies for the Comédie-Française and the Comédie-Italienne of Paris. His most important works are Le Triomphe de l'amour, Le Jeu de l'amour et du has
More about Pierre de Marivaux...
L'île des esclaves La double inconstance Les fausses confidences La Vie de Marianne Le paysan parvenu