Truancy (Truancy, #1)

Truancy (Truancy #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  770 ratings  ·  165 reviews
In an alternate world, in a nameless totalitarian city, the autocratic Mayor rules the school system with an iron fist, with the help of his Educators. Fighting against the Mayor and his repressive Educators is a group of former students called the Truancy, whose goal is to take down the system by any means possible—at any cost.

Against this backdrop, fifteen-year-old Tack...more
Published March 4th 2008 by Tor Teen (first published 2007)

karen

truancy, boooo-ancy. and not scary halloween ghost boooo-ancy, i mean it blew-ancy.

fifteen-year-olds have a place in this world. i have no problem with them serving me food at an eatery, or bagging my groceries, but i don't want them performing my brain surgeries, and i don't want them in charge of my entertainment.

it's great that he wrote this so young, really. but it exhibits every weak writing mistake you would expect from someone so inexperienced: clumsy dialogue, continuity errors, oddly sp...more
Haralambi Markov
Thanks to the ever so generous Graeme I received “Truancy” as an unexpected gift that got me addicted. For three blissful days I was totally lost in this hardcover edition, which is so unlike me, since my attention span with books ranges to 60 pages at most a day and finishing 400 in three days was impossible to me. I certainly wish more books could force into oblivion.

At first I was very reluctant to setting expectations as everybody knows Isamu Fukui is 17 years old and having had a huge disap...more
Aaron Vincent
Originally Posted On Guy Gone Geek.

In an alternate society, the Educators RULES. They create the law, implement them, and yes, they also do power play. Of course, this set-up is a kind of nightmare to all the students. Because of the Educators tight grip on them and the natural desire to defy the norm that comes with being an adolescent, these students formed a rebellion group: The Truancy. The Truants had no other intention but to make the lives of the Educators a living hell.

Tack, a highschool...more
Thomas
Fifteen-year-old Tack lives in a city controlled by education. School is a constant struggle to survive: filled with strict to deadly teachers, an insurmountable amount of homework, and a zero tolerance policy for under achieving. Students are pushed and pushed until they become the perfect role model citizens - mind controlled, obedient slaves to their society. Tack is fearful that he will fail and be expelled because of his apathy for schoolwork, but he continues to go to school for his younge...more
Raina
Kind of a cool concept, but the execution is in sore need of an editor. Written by a teenager, and you can... tell. Sample sentence from pg. 426: "He had feared that Zyid would ask exactly that, though it wasn't unexpected."
Seriously.

The only reasons I finished this were that it was recommended by one of my teens, and I read the first half on a flight (it took me a week to get through the second half).

Interesting to see in the mind of a kid who's a little, let's say, disillusioned by school, whi...more
Julia
This book is amazing!!!! It is one of my favorites! Written by seventeen year old Isamu Fukui, Truancy has some of the best characters, plots, and basically everything I've ever read! rebellion, romance, action, suspense, mystery, this book has everything! Like Voices I give it a six, though the stars can only go up to five... It's still six!
Scott
Ugg. I kind of feel bad. This guy is just a kid, and if any of my library kids did this, I would be super-supportive. But . . . it isn't going to benefit him to just hold his hand and praise his book, which is impressive, but not that good.

While I am impressed with the patience, skill, and even the creativity of the young writer, I fear publishing him could be detrimental to his growth. Seriously, if this is something he wants to do with his life, and I suspect it is, he doesn't need undue prais...more
This book is a violent, hard hitting novel written by a 17-year-old author. The main character Tack hates school for very good reasons. In the functionally autocratic society of The City, school dictates every part of his life. Many of the problems that he comes up against in school exist to some degree in every school in the U.S. His coldly aloof parents are no comfort to him. Tack tries to succeed in school but it seems like the teachers and the system are out to get him at every turn. Being e...more
Melissa
Written by a 15-year old boy, this book is pretty solid for an adolescent lit book. Interesting characters (maybe too male dominated, though) and an action-packed plot with extremely detailed (and violent) fight scenes. Reluctant readers - especially boys that like action and battle sequences - would really enjoy this.
Camille
This surprised me. i liked this book more than I thought I would. At first I didn't think I would, but I did.

My problems with this book:
-There was a lot of fighting. At the end of the book there was a 25 page fight scene. That was really long. There were a lot of other long fight scenes, but this one topped it.
-I was confused about the idea of the book. It was a good one, but i was very confused.
-I was shocked on how quickly the Truancy lets Tack in. It was just like he walked up said I want to...more
Maddie
Robert
Mr. Curtis
Mature Content: Language, Violence

Lexile: 1000L

I thought this book was going to be a rant-against teachers, education, principals, testing-but it wasn't. At least not all of it was. What it ended up being was a fairly thoughtfully written book about people with strong convictions about how they think the world should be.

Set in a world not too different from our own, Tack is moving through the educational system. A chance encounter with another teenager, who becomes a mentor to him, puts Tack on...more
Renae
Okay, first of all, an excellent piece for a 15-year-old author. Damn fine for that.

However, a couple of issues...okay, five.

1. Message = very heavy-handed. The whole "reject the establishment" and "education creates mindless slaves" thing was about as subtle as a brick to the forehead.

2. Author's name = Isamu. Character name = Umasi. Just a little too cute.

3. I tried to read this a little over a year ago and ran out of steam about half-way through. Restarted it a few days ago and ran out of st...more
Colin
Oh my god. I am SO glad to be done with this book. It was a chore. I'm torn: On one hand, the ideas that Fukui has are awesome--it's a sci-fi political critique of the oppressive educational system from a high school student. On the other hand, i cannot remember the last time i disliked a book this much that I didn't have some sort of political issue with such as racism or ableism that I actually finished reading.

The big problem: Cliche, cliche, cliche. Eye-rolling, groan-out-loud, i-can't-even...more
Kelly
I really hated this book, and I only read it in its entirety because it's on the 2009 YALSA Teen Top Ten list which I promote at my school so I always read all the books on the list. I think the book is only on the list because it's about teens rebelling against authority who are the teachers of their schools.

There is no true plot development and the writing is very poor. The characters are one dimensional, and the story is cliched - nothing new here.

However, I think that some teen boys might li...more
Joshua
Very strong enthralling sci-fi thriller that really impressed as it was written by a 15 year old. Unlike Swordbird and Eragon I was pulled through the book... was it perfect, no... some of the battles were very cinematic while parts were a little prolonged... but it was a strong narrative if a little telegraphed at times...

The two criticisms: the characters could at times be wooden, though part of that was the situation.

The characters and the plot's morality could be interpreted as advocating vi...more
I was quite disappointed by Truancy. I really wanted it to be good. It has a good concept and I think it's cool that Fukui is still a high school student. But unfortunately it only ends up being a lesson in why teenagers should not be allowed to publish novels. The "dystopian" society is simply not dystopian enough to be really compelling and the book is just a poor pastiche of other genres. And I'm sorry, Isamu Fukui, but it simply does not work to have two characters who are supposed to be kin...more
Laurie
Nov 15, 2008 Laurie added it
Shelves: wmslibrary
I had to read this because the person who recommended it to me was insistent. I think it is not nice to try and force someone else to read a 400+ page novel.

Truancy is not terrible, but the writing is amateurish and cliche-ridden, and while some reviewers have said, "Kids who like dystopian fiction will like this," I wouldn't actually recommend it to them; there is virtually no world-building, no explanation for anything beyond this evil Mayor autocratically ruling over the city.

(spoiler)

And you...more
Drew Butler
I thought this book was amazing. I am not one that enjoys reading as much as others but when i picked up this book i couldn't put it down.
My friend Kody recommended it to me and I'm recommending it to anyone who likes to read. The main plot is about a corrupt government
that has taken over society school goes from monday to saturday. But a brave group of kids decides to revolt. These kids carry machine
guns, trowing knifes and drive trucks and SUV's. They stay to the deserted parts of town and on...more
Éamon
Originally read around May 20/June 20 2008, I considered it at the time a useful and inspirational escape from the school system I was in. Now, I realize the author at time of writing was a narcissistic 15 year old like anyone else, with painfully repeating scenes and comments (lighter, eyes, explaining a scene numerous times after it happened, etc). Told rather than showed. The "omniscient" character Umasi (Isamu backward -_-) was privileged to be pacifist, which should be noted. My criticisms...more
Joel Mollman
I read this book because I was asked to be able to write about it's sequel, Truancy City. I really hope the sequel is better, because this was a rough book to read. While it's amazing that the author wrote this and was published in high school, just because a teacher would praise it in a HS creative writing class does not mean it was anywhere near ready to be published.
The characters and dialogue are annoying. The book is filled with angsty anti-school aphorisms by the teenage "Truants" who figh...more
Charlie
The basic story sounded promising, but it turned out to be very repetitive and self-indulgent. For example, author Isamu Fukui made an "omniscient" character named Umasi, and there were multiple depictions throughout the three-hundred plus pages of Noni's "icy blue eyes" and the Mayor playing with his lighter. I am glad to be done with this. I enjoyed making fun of it with Eamon, though.
J.Elle
This book had an intriguing premise, but I didn't like where it went. The city where Tack lives runs the schools with an iron fist. An education is for tamping down any enthusiasm or originality in everyone, making them all joyless robots. Tack, a 15 year old, is stuck in this system until he meets Umi, who is part of a resistance against it. And here is where the book became uninteresting for me. It was like the movie Newsies where a gang of teenagers come together to try and stop what is happe...more
Ian Mellark
TRUANCY (War boys)
Por Isamu Fukui

Sinopsis.

Los educadores y los obligadores controlan todo en los distritos
Los estándares educativos son difíciles de llenar para los estudiantes, y los estudiantes que no los llenen, son castigados.

War boys nos cuenta la historia de una sociedad en donde los alumnos son sometidos a miedo, a normas súper rígidas que cumplir, con el fin de “amaestrarlos” y así cuando crezcan tenerlos bajo control. Sin embargo la “Truancy” (grupo de jóvenes formados por estudiante, y...more
Cheryl
Having heard Isamu Fukuii speak about his work, I read a far different book than what I had expected. Teens, especially boys, will like this one. A solid addition to high school dystopian lit lists.
Lexi
God. The writing. Is. So. Bad. About halfway through, I decided to pretend that the book was a badly dubbed Bruce Lee movie, to see if that helped. Not really.
Abraham Alvarez
I recently read Truancy by Isamu Fukui. This book is about a fifteen Tack in New York City that just trying to survive. Tack is Fighting against the Mayor and his repressive Educative is a group of former students called the Truancy whose goal is to take down the system. He filled with sadistic teachers, unrelenting schoolwork, and indifferent parents. Things started to look up when he meets Umasi, a mysterious boy who become Tack’s mentor. Its a big raw sprawling action film of a book combining...more
Diane Ferbrache
In this alternate world, city children are controlled in schools ruled by Educators with iron fists. The goal is obedience and assimilation. A band of dropout teens form an organization called the Truancy to battle the Mayor and his Enforcers who are determined to remain in control. Tack is just trying to get by, but his questions and concerns increase. When his sister is killed in a Truancy raid, he is determined to avenge her death.
This is an interesting tale from a 15 year old writer! There...more
Mandie
  • Epitaph Road
  • Recursion (AI Trilogy #1)
  • The Comet's Curse (Galahad, #1)
  • The Silenced
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • Floodland
  • The Inferior (The Bone World Trilogy, #1)
  • Test
  • The Third
  • Streams of Babel (Streams of Babel, #1)
  • Rash
  • The Blending Time
  • The Returners
  • Siberia
  • The Sky Inside (The Sky Inside, #1)
  • The Kindling (Fire-us, #1)
  • The Always War
  • Storm Thief
Origins (Truancy, #0) Truancy City (Truancy, #2) Truancy Origins Battle Royale Slam Book: Essays on the Cult Classic by Koushun Takami

“When death lies ahead, it's natural to look back.” 14 likes
“And with that, Umasi reached down and slung Zyid's lifeless body over his shoulder, stoically bearing the morbid burden in silence. Slowly, solemnly, the two brothers turned as one to face the warm, beckoning glow of the rising sun, together for one last time.” 4 likes