Start by marking “Dragon Companion (Dragon Companion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Companion (Dragon Companion, #1)

Dragon Companion (Dragon Companion #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  8 reviews
All-new dragon adventures from the author of Geomancer. Quiet and orderly Tom is uniquely qualified for his job as a librarian at the Library of Congress. He doesn't think of himself as "special", until a dragon appears from another world and whisks him away to a magical land where a librarian is a very important person. . . .
Published November 1st 1994 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Companion

This is personally my most beloved book. in fact, it is easy for me to say that it is the best I have ever read. This novel is the one and only book from my collection that I would ensure to save in the event of emergency (fire, flood, evacuation) and I have read this novel (and the rest of the Dragon series) over two dozen times since it has found it's way into my hands.

I feel that, in time, every reader will find an author that speaks the exact same language as they do... well Don Callander is
Dragon Companion by Don Callander is a light-hearted, easy-going fantasy. Tom, a librarian, is suddenly transported to a magical, pseudo-medieval style world where he becomes a dragon’s companion, helps the king, and wins a girl.

The good guys have every kind of virtue; the bad guys don’t do anything too evil.

The tone of the books strikes exactly the right balance. It does not take itself too seriously; neither does it go too goofy. The humor is affectionate, rather than snarky. Dragon Companion
DNF — I got maybe twenty pages in. Standard old-school quest with an human unexpected flung in to a fantasy world (think The Dragon and the George or Silverlock) that I had picked up because the human character is nominally a librarian, but the book quite frankly bored me to tears.
A Librarian entering a fantasy world...the common man entering a fantasy world is almost a genre in itself, but at first this guy doesn't want to save the world, he wants to organize their Library!
Really a cute book. Has an innoncent flair that reminds me of The Princess Bride in some ways. A fun world, really enjoyed the characters and their adventures.
So much fun. I read that the books in this series are being re-released and I hope to locate the other two books in the trilogy at some time.
I have been trying to get into this book for years and finally did so. It was pretty amusing.
This fantasy has a straight-forward plot with a touch of humor. But I have read better fantasies.
James Bonds II
James Bonds II marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Nathaniel Mathews
Nathaniel Mathews marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Blake marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Terry Roberts
Terry Roberts marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Max marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
M marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Logan Blackisle
Logan Blackisle marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Calvin Goodman
Calvin Goodman marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Mage Quest (Daimbert, #3)
  • Dragoncrown
  • The Wizardry Quested (Wiz, #5)
  • Duel of Dragons (Dragonsword, #2)
  • Star Trek Log Eight (Star Trek: Logs, #8)
  • Wizard War
  • The Thrall and the Dragon's Heart
  • Fire Ship (Star Trek: The Captains Table, #4)
  • Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)
  • The Book of Air (Dragon Quartet #4)
  • Not Exactly the Three Musketeers (Guardians of the Flame, #8)
  • Stealing the Elf-King's Roses
  • The Rainbow Abyss (Sun-Cross, #1)
  • The Dragons of Noor
  • Dragon and Thief (Dragonback, #1)
  • The Tomorrow Log
  • Delirium's Mistress (Flat Earth, #4)
Donald Bruce Callander (1930–2008) was an American fantasy novel author, photographer, editor and graphic artist. He authored Pyromancer, a tale of young wizard-in-training Douglas Brightglade, and nine other published novels.

Born in Minnesota, Callander joined the U.S. Navy after high school, serving four years of active duty during the Korean War, and then 20 years in the U.S. Naval Reserve. In
More about Don Callander...

Dragon Companion (2 books)
  • Dragon Rescue (Dragon Companion, #2)