Start by marking “Introduction to Cataloging and Classification” as Want to Read:
Introduction to Cataloging and Classification

Introduction to Cataloging and Classification

In the latest edition of this classic work, Arlene Taylor once again offers a complete, up-to-date, and practical guide to the world of cataloging and classification. Since the publication of the ninth and ninth-revised editions (2000 and 2004), changes have occurred in almost all areas of the organization of information in general, as well as in cataloging and classificat ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Libraries Unlimited (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Introduction to Cataloging and Classification, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introduction to Cataloging and Classification

Brian
After owning this book for around five years, I have still only found about 5 pages of the content really helpful. This might have some role as a reference book for beginning catalogers who are still working in AACR2, but it would not serve very well as a text book or tutorial. The text is very dense and formatted in a confusing manner. I had hoped this book would provide a greater range of examples than those offered in the LC Cataloger's Desktop, but the examples are usually terse and often un ...more
Carrie Wilson
Aug 03, 2016 Carrie Wilson rated it it was ok
I found reading this book torturous. To be fair, the content is dry to begin with. Taylor does a good job of including relevant information, and she made it as readable as she possibly could. Obviously, I only pick up this book because it was assigned. Reading it and taking a course in cataloging helped me grasp the basics, and I do think every librarian should have this knowledge. But--this text and the course made me realize I would not enjoy copy cataloging. It's tedious and repetitive. I'm g ...more
Rob
Jul 08, 2014 Rob rated it liked it
This book is comprehensive and full of examples of AACR2 rules. It also describes the virtues and vices of classification schemes like Dewey and LCC; and it outlines important classmarks and MARC fields (though the online MARC descriptions from OCLC and the Library of Congress are far more detailed and updated). But it's short on RDA since it was written around the time that RDA was being developed and tested.
Jamie
Dec 03, 2009 Jamie rated it really liked it
Finally gave in and bought this 11 weeks into the semester. Planning on permanently keeping it at my desk at work. I'm the kind of person who buys about 3 books a year and borrows the rest. This one is worth the investment, though it certainly doesn't win any prizes for being fun or interesting or easy to read.
Vittoria
Jul 05, 2011 Vittoria rated it really liked it
This is the textbook from my class. Not a bad read so far. I was expecting cataloging to be some beast, and although it does require a lot of work, cataloging is natural human work...it is what we do with everything in life to get organized and keep ourselves on track (organizing the kitchen pantry, our cloths, our movie collection, etc.).
Whitney Robertson
I chose this book because I think that it may be handy in the future. The books that I read for library science courses were beneficial but I searched online for a better resource with more detailed information. This book sounds like a great introduction to cataloging and classification which will be very beneficial in my future career.
Jean
May 12, 2016 Jean rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, mlis-program
The book is incredibly detailed and very informative. I read many, many sentences in this book over and over until I understood. The course I took on cataloging was intense, extremely intense and the text did help.
Louise
Jul 25, 2012 Louise rated it liked it
Eh, it was good I guess. I mean, it's a textbook so I wasn't super excited about reading it. BUT I did use it several times over the semester, which is after all what textbooks are for, so it did its duty. I do wish there'd been a bit more discussion of RDA, though.
Dan
Dec 17, 2011 Dan rated it liked it
This was a wonderful book introduction to AACR2 and other common cataloging rules. If you are a library student who has interest in cataloging this is worth getting. It is also a great reference source if you don't hace access to Catalogers Desktop.
Jean
Dec 11, 2007 Jean added it
I did not read this book for enjoyment. However it served as a very handy reference in completing my cataloging assignments! And I would guess it's one of the better textbooks on the subject.
Elvira
Nov 07, 2008 Elvira rated it liked it
Currently reading. Great book of making sense of MARC21, AACR2 and cataloging books...if that's what your interested in.
Kellie Mckoin
Nov 27, 2011 Kellie Mckoin marked it as to-read
I read some of the other reviews of this book and thought it might come in handy one day. So maybe I will read it someday.
bluetyson
Introduction to Cataloging and Classification: Tenth Edition (Library and Information Science Text Series) by Arlene G. Taylor (2006)
.keli.
Jul 05, 2011 .keli. rated it liked it
Shelves: mlis
This book is a lot to take in; quite chewy at times. It is so helpful, though, for anyone who wants to be a cataloger, or who just wants to know why catalog records look so funny.
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
May 27, 2012
Bhuva
Bhuva rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Joy Almanon
Joy Almanon rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015
Jay Ampersand
Jay Ampersand rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2012
Brett VanBenschoten
Brett VanBenschoten rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Richard LeComte
Richard LeComte rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
V APPALANAIDU
V APPALANAIDU rated it did not like it
Nov 24, 2015
Cedate
Cedate rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2012
Genevieve
Genevieve rated it liked it
May 10, 2015
Desiree Smelcer
Desiree Smelcer rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Ta Porsha
Ta Porsha rated it did not like it
Sep 01, 2013
Cressant
Cressant rated it it was ok
Nov 18, 2011
Apostolos
Apostolos rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2011
Jake
Jake rated it did not like it
Apr 19, 2012
Crystal Hutchinson
Very informative. A little outdated, needs a new edition.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Developing Library and Information Center Collections
  • The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts
  • Reference and Information Services: An Introduction (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • What's the Alternative? Career Options for Librarians and Info Pros
  • Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction
  • Revolting Librarians Redux: Radical Librarians Speak Out
  • Librarian's Guide to Online Searching
  • Readers' Advisory Service in the Public Library
  • The Anarchist in the Library: How the Clash Between Freedom and Control Is Hacking the Real World and Crashing the System
  • Casanova Was a Librarian: A Light-Hearted Look at the Profession