Start by marking “Theories of Personality” as Want to Read:
Theories of Personality

Theories of Personality

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  316 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
This seventh edition of 'Theories of Personality' continues to provide comprehensive coverage of the most influential theorists of personality.
Published July 15th 2008 by McGraw-Hill Humanities/Social Sciences/Languages (first published February 1st 1990)

Joevarian
My all time favorite! Too bad I haven't yet learned personality psychology in my own campus. I always loved non-scientific part of psychology, and this book represents it. The psychodynamic parts get the biggest portion here, because those fathers of psychodynamic have decent theories of personalities. They are the trigger of the studies of personality.

What I really love from this book is that this book isn't really a scientific book. It's a scientific-philosophic book. Perhaps that's the reason
Carrie Fleharty
Jun 06, 2016 Carrie Fleharty rated it really liked it
For those people who are studying psychology, this is a must read, specifically those individuals who are learning about the theories of personality. Read it sporadically, not cover-to-cover, unless you are a student. This book is filled with the major personality theories from Freud to George Kelly. This is more than a handbook of personalities, it is the thoughts and the backgrounds of those individuals who have studied personalities and offered reasons behind those personalities. Theories of ...more
Jireh
Dec 23, 2014 Jireh rated it really liked it
Shelves: course-related
Had to read this cover to cover to look for hints of hope for boards. Well, it did help. A lot! The back stories of each theorist helped me understand more about their theories. I've made a mental note (*and I'm publishing it here so that I'll remember) to reread this next year so that I'll unearth more and more about the theories that suspends the psychological perspective of life into existence.

After reading this, I learned to respect Maslow a lot.

The critique for each theory at the end part
Giselle
Dec 18, 2015 Giselle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
The most comprehensive book about theories of personality with updated research files included.
Amber
Dec 17, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book as a tag along for this class!!!! It was written so easily to understand and made the class just that much more fascinating!!! I may be a Psych major, but I swear that this has been one of the best books that was required along with the class readings!! The information was relevant, the material written to make it more interesting, and then had ways to further delve into the Personality Theories online!! What could be better than all that?! For a school book, not much else.
Anders Brabaek
Oct 27, 2015 Anders Brabaek rated it really liked it
Very well written. However, the book concentrates on the "classical" personality psychology.
It is fairly weak on trait theories. Likewise, it pretty much leaves out all the more recent theories, and by recent I mean the last 30-40 year. That is, it completely leaves out Narrative theories, Personal Project Analysis and goal theories, various positive psychology theories (Character Stregnths etc.), the adaptive unconscious, various mindset theories etc. And of course HEXACO, but that is expected
Billie Pritchett
Oct 23, 2015 Billie Pritchett rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
This is a textbook about the various theories of personality in psychology. For the purposes of the book and for purposes of psychological study, personality as a construct is defined as "a pattern of relatively permanent traits and unique characteristics that give both consistency and individuality to a person's behavior" (p. 4). The textbook I read is the seventh edition (it has since been updated, and I will soon read that for a course), which covers the following kinds of personality theorie ...more
Shiela Marie
Mar 17, 2015 Shiela Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Been reading this Theories of Personality. Well, badly needed, anyway, though this is academic book, Feist and Feist made a comprehensive some up of Theories. Very organized and understandable. Though lengthy, well very informative anyway!
Timotheos
Jun 23, 2016 Timotheos rated it really liked it
A good read. Although there are some concepts that the authors fail to explain well, I will still recommend this book to my colleagues.
Lasynda Shichiroji
The way this book is written it's not an overload of information that you don't understand. It's almost a relaxed read.
Erjon 7
Apr 21, 2015 Erjon 7 rated it it was amazing
Well a must have book for all psychology students!! The best book of personality theories
Tya Setyaningsih
Feb 17, 2016 Tya Setyaningsih rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
i just need this book for my paper right now
Redi Dwi
Jan 12, 2016 Redi Dwi rated it really liked it
i just wanna read for ny refrence
Shierwina
Nov 14, 2015 Shierwina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psych
Mystery
Tiffani
Oct 10, 2012 Tiffani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was for my Personality Theory psych class, and I keep picking it up because it is SO GOOD! I love theories and philosophies about how the human being acts and think, and this has 15 (I think) psychologists from Freud to Rogers to May. It's fantastic and I love every bit of it :)

I would recommend it to anyone that wants to broaden their perspective on how to relate and understand others.
Tessa
Jun 17, 2008 Tessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: psychology students, those interested in psychology
This is the very first book that I've ever had and read page by page when I first stepped into taking my psychology major. Thanks to our psychology major teacher, I was able to discover this wonderful book.

Theories and its terms are understandable and well explained, also a good background check on who are the Psychology Theorists behind every theory.
Leonart Maruli
May 28, 2015 Leonart Maruli rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Buku ini cocok dijadikan pengantar untuk memahami teori kepribadian secara lebih lengkap dan penulis juga menyertakan latar belakang riwayat hidup tokoh-tokoh psikologi seperti Sigmund Freud, BF Skinner, H.J. Eysenck dan Gordon Allport.
Jacquelyn Smith
Feb 10, 2015 Jacquelyn Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Class is over this was a great book for PYS/405
Chantal Mcclelland
Organized well, like the exploration of each personality theorists personality, as well as the humanistic critique presented after each one.
Emily
Apr 28, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a textbook, this wasn't bad. If you're interested in the different personality theorists (Freud, Jung, Adler, etc.), this is a great book.
Melissa
May 07, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
This is a good book for understanding the foundations of the various theories that came about that are in common use today in psychology.
Stefani
Complete theories and history. simple language. could be a guidance for personality theories.
Eric Brooke
Jun 23, 2013 Eric Brooke rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
A good introduction which compares many perspectives on Personality. Very expensive.
Happy Virgina Puspa Nirmala
what a great book for psychologist
Hecxon Tong
Jun 03, 2013 Hecxon Tong rated it it was amazing
my favorite textbook
Rodrigo
I like to know about teens
Jebbie
Jebbie is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2016
Aira Marticio
Aira Marticio marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Ly Generao
Ly Generao marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
  • The Discovery of the Unconscious: The History and Evolution of Dynamic Psychiatry
  • Our Sexuality
  • An Introduction to Theories of Personality
  • Beginning to Heal
  • Kaplan & Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/Clinical Psychiatry
  • The Developing Person Through the Life Span
  • Sensation and Perception
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Psychology: CIG to Psychology
  • Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice
  • Human Development
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • An Introduction to Theories of Learning
  • Theories of Personality
  • Competent Christian Counseling, Volume One: Foundations and Practice of Compassionate Soul Care
  • Metaphysics