Start by marking “Boy Proof” as Want to Read:
Boy Proof

Boy Proof

3.49  ·  Rating Details ·  2,895 Ratings  ·  329 Reviews
What happens when an antisocial cinephile meets up with the worldly new guy at school — a quick-witted artist who's savvy enough to see through her sci-fi disguise?

Meet Egg. Her real name is Victoria Jurgen, but she's renamed herself after the kick-ass heroine of her favorite sci-fi movie, Terminal Earth. Like her namesake, Egg dresses all in white, colors her eyebrows, an
Published August 8th 2006 by Candlewick Press (first published February 17th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Boy Proof, please sign up.

Tamar Not sure if you're still wondering the answer to this question, but no- based off of the main character's fantasies/dreams about who I'm presuming is…moreNot sure if you're still wondering the answer to this question, but no- based off of the main character's fantasies/dreams about who I'm presuming is her favourite male sci-fi actor I would say she definitely experiences sexual attraction. No, there are no mentions of asexual characters in the book :)(less)

Asenath
May 11, 2009 Asenath rated it did not like it
Ariel
Oct 05, 2011 Ariel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
One of my favourite books of all time. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time I've read it, and I enjoyed it just as much as the first time I read it.
Rose
I read "Boy Proof" in one afternoon and for a quick read, this was actually a rather well-told tale, even if the protagonist isn't necessarily the kind of character you would align with at the very beginning. Egg, who's real name is Victoria, idolizes a character from her favorite movie, Terminal Earth. She's a sci-fi geek (and there are numerous references to sci-fi works in this novel) who self-loathes about her life despite vying to become the valedictorian of her school, having famous parent ...more
Sally Kruger
Inspire by John Green's 18 Books You Probably Haven't Read, I found my copy of BOY PROOF by Cecil Castellucci. It has been on my classroom shelf for some time, but for some reason I've never read it. Thanks for the suggestion, John.

With a mother who is an actress and a father who is a respected makeup and special effects artist, one would think that Victoria's life would include one amazing event after another. The reality is Victoria, who prefers to be called Egg, goes out of her way to be a lo
Judy
Sep 18, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it

Last month I attended a reading by Jonathan Evison (The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving) at Skylight Books in Hollywood. Introducing Jonathan was Cecil Castellucci. "I know that name," I thought. Sure enough she is one of the more truly hip YA authors writing these days. I had seen her books all the time when I worked at Once Upon A Time Bookstore, but somehow never read any.

In my usual fashion I started with her first novel. Cecil Castellucci, in my opinion, is a direct literary descendant o
Emily
Jun 26, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
If you think that you are boy proof you should read Boy Proof. It proves that you’re not boy proof, but just that you haven’t found the right person yet. I say this because I feel like I am boy proof. If you’re not that into love stories don’t worry, it’s there but it is not the most important part of the book. The story takes place in Hollywood and follows a high school senior thru a journey of making friends. There is some foul language in the book. I can’t think of my favorite part of the boo ...more
Reddish
Jun 14, 2015 Reddish rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist
La construcción y evolución del personaje Egg es tan buena que te atrapa al momento, y la trama es demasiado adictiva. Muy recomendado para cualquier tipo de lector.

"You're just another shallow person pretending to be deep."
Lisa
Oct 04, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
I saw Cecil Castellucci at the West Hollywood Book Fair, and went over to say hi, because we're both supporters of WriteGirl (an awesome creative writing mentoring nonprofit in Los Angeles). I decided to buy one of her books, and after we talked for a few minutes, she recommended Boy Proof.

I don't know if she's reader-psychic or what, but I have a weakness for books with dorky, socially awkward main characters, and I absolutely loved this one. Reading Cecil Castellucci's writing makes me want to
Christina
Dec 27, 2016 Christina rated it really liked it
I sat down to start this book and wound up reading it in one sitting.

I enjoyed it.

As I mentioned before, Boyproof was on John Green's list of 18 Great Books You Probably Haven't Read. It's about a girl who, in the beginning of the story, thinks she can be purely independent and be happy. No friends necessary, just sci-fi books and movies. When it starts, she has a shaved head, walks around in a white cloak and emulates her favorite sci-fi character. She is not interested in the boys around her,
Minli
Dec 24, 2009 Minli rated it liked it
Boy Proof is a solid. Short, contained and good, hitting a lot of the right themes. I smiled when I finished the last page.

Victoria, alias Egg, is pretty much the quirky of the quirky. She was quirky before it was cool to be quirky, and wants you to know it. She doesn't care for makeup or appearances, she's a smartass, perfectionist and a bit of a snob about it too. She wears a cloak, and is a self-professed cinephile and a sci-fi/fantasy geek. She also strikes me as borderline autistic (or has
Jenelle
Here's the thing about this book: it was basically pretty dumb, but it tapped into a part of my high school experience that I had forgotten about.

The mc is a 16 year old senior because she skipped a grade and part of what makes her life miserable is that she's immature. Not necessarily immature in the derogatory sense, but developmentally and emotionally. Especially compared to the 19 year old classmate who missed a year.

There's a handful of issues surrounding this, but she doesn't handle it we
Max Baker
Feb 18, 2015 Max Baker rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-reviewed
Unlikable narrators are tricky. A character doesn't have to be likable in order to be invested in their story. They can be the most selfish, egotistical, materialistic, asshole you've ever read about and you can still love their book. Of course, that also means you can fuck up your unlikable narrator beyond belief as well. Guess which category this book falls into?

Yeah, the second one. Woo Hoo!

Victoria, also known as Egg, was a huge problem with this book. Everything about her was snobby, egotis
Karin
Jan 04, 2012 Karin rated it really liked it
Victoria "Egg" Jurgen is a loner and she likes it that way. Dressed in her long white cloak, with a shaved head and drawn-in eyebrows, she doesn't talk to people and doesn't want people to talk to her. Her look and attitude cause her to be "boy proof," according to her mother. Egg's unique style is fashioned after her favorite character from the movie Terminal Earth, which she has seen multiple times and as many as four times in one day. Egg refers to herself as a cinephile. She loves the film i ...more
Tracy
Dec 19, 2007 Tracy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awesome-ya
Such a lovely read and totally worth a night without sleep. I liked the spare writing, which was necessary as an internal monologue is how the story gets told. The main character is a girl, Egg, who is "boy proof." She dresses and acts in such a manner to repel the opposite sex, but she's equal opportunity in closing herself off from anybody...so a more accurate title would be "People Proof." (Betcha that was an interesting meeting with the marketing team--"Boy Proof" catches the eye faster, but ...more
Caroline Turla
Mar 12, 2014 Caroline Turla rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, ya, funny, witty
This book is funny, geeky, witty, weird and smart. Cecil Castelluci have written a novel that easily explore some of the lives of introverted people and how they just keep silent not just because they don't know how to socialize but because if they keep on talking on what is in their great minds, other people will surely not understand. That is their loneliness. Yeah.

The book started with the life of Victoria or Egg (which she would like to be called, name's after her idol in the movie Terminal
Magan (Rather Be Reading)
Boy Proof was a very easy, quick read. I purchased it thanks to the Amazon deals for new summer reads on my kindle. I hadn't heard anything about it, but decided it sounded like a fun read. I was interested in the premise of a girl making herself "boy proof" - as in not available, invisible to them.

I didn't ever really understand why Egg felt like she had to push herself away from everyone, why she didn't think she was pretty, or why she wanted to be boy proof. I got that she was different by be
jess
Dec 28, 2008 jess rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, yaf, 2008
Having re-sprained my ankle (yes, again), I settled into my miserable days of RICE (rest, ice, compress, elevate, for those of you outside the soft tissue injury scene) with a pile of library books, including this quick jaunt into YAF. I picked it up because the author was also involved in the P.L.A.I.N JANES book, a graphic novel that I adored.

Yes, there was too much of myself here (skipping a grade, graduating early, the loneliness of high school, the excruciating torture of first crushes, an
Alysha Speer
Feb 05, 2009 Alysha Speer rated it liked it
Recommended to Alysha by: Kim
Edan
Apr 22, 2009 Edan rated it really liked it
I pretty much ate this book whole it was so fun and readable. I'd never read a young adult novel before, or, I should say I'd never before read a contemporary young adult novel as an adult reader. I found the narrator really lovable and flawed, and complicated--I mean, she wears a cape for most of the book! It was so interesting to think of how this book differed from an book for adults about a teenager. For one thing, the prose is really spare and straightforward. Also, there's more telling--so ...more
Paul Baker
May 09, 2015 Paul Baker rated it really liked it
Excellent Young Adult novel about a girl who is a senior at Melrose High. Her father is a make-up artist and her mother is a famous actress. A nerd who shaves her head, Victoria prefers to be called Egg, after her favorite character is the sci-fi movie Terminal Earth. When new kid Sam, the son of a famous documentary director, arrives at school, Egg must re-assess the aloneness that is the hallmark of her brilliant high school career.

The book is very fast-paced and the characters are all believa
Ashley
Aug 27, 2014 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a lot shorter than I was expecting but I didn't know this when buying it as it was bought for kindle. I finished it within a few hours which I didn't enjoy.

This book was recommended by John Green John Green, therefore I thought it would be worth the read but it really just made me angry. In my opinion this is just another book about a girl who likes to be a little different conforming to societies' idea of "normal" to please others.
laaaaames
Apr 14, 2009 laaaaames rated it really liked it
I've heard from a lot of people that this book is pretty so-so, but honestly I enjoyed it a lot and flew through it. Basically what I loved is that none of the geek stuff is sugar-coated. Meg had mentioned to me that the great thing about this book is it doesn't pretend geeks are just cool kids who need a second look or to take off their glasses or whatever, and I fully agree. So, you know. I'd give three stars, but I'm doing four because I think props for that should be huge.
Edina
Sep 27, 2012 Edina rated it did not like it
This book could be important to lonely teen girls who feel like they don't fit in. But it just does the typical Geek Girl Meets Boy: Life Changes route. It's implied that she has serious problems, but it just gets brushed off at the end.

I didn't expect much, I picked it up to mock because I think I'm cool. But then I got interested. And I got disappointed :(
Joey
May 11, 2008 Joey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fnas of click here and raisin rodriguez
Recommended to Joey by: my local book store
i fell in love with this book! i couldn't believe how much i can relate to egg's problems. she feels the same feelings and hopes and wants of teenage girls that age. the want to be your own person and odd and out there but liked at the same time. she wants to believe that she is boy proof because she doesn't want to get hurt.i don't want to spoil the book but i love the way that it ends!
Rachel
Apr 06, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
The cover turned me off at first, so I let this sit on a shelf for a spell. Once I got over the cover (I'm sure it hits the target demographic in the sweet spot, I'm just not the target demographic), I couldn't put it down. I read it over 3 subway rides and I nearly missed my transfer 3 times. Egg is a lovely imperfect heroine. It's geeky, sweet fun.
Shelley
May 14, 2011 Shelley rated it liked it
Shelves: youth
Garden variety plot about a disenfranchised lonely girl who doesn't like anyone or much of anything until she wakes up and makes herself happy. Pretty spare writing, but I got into it pretty fast and ended up really liking Victoria a lot.
Inês Gueifão
I never thought I'd give up on such a short book but I can't possibly read another page of this nonsense. This Victoria/Egg person needs a chill pill, a psychiatrist and some God damn sense into her mind.
Kayla
Jul 14, 2008 Kayla rated it it was ok
i couldn't get into the boook so i just quit reading it. i wouldn't recomend this to enyone.
Audrey Webster
Feb 22, 2015 Audrey Webster rated it really liked it
*3.5 stars
I read this book in a day. It's a really quick and easy read. I liked it for the most part other than some minor flaws.
Kayla
Feb 27, 2015 Kayla rated it it was ok
Not the best I have read but I totally loved the ending
  • The Last Summer of Reason
  • Kendra
  • The Golden Rule
  • Fly on the Wall: How One Girl Saw Everything
  • Thirsty
  • Will You Miss Me When I'm Gone?: The Carter Family and Their Legacy in American Music
  • The Enormous Room
  • Show Way
  • Regarding the Pain of Others
  • Heavy Metal And You
  • Sideshow: Ten Original Tales of Freaks, Illusionists and Other Matters Odd and Magical
  • You Know Where to Find Me
  • Stoner & Spaz (Stoner & Spaz, #1)
  • A Room on Lorelei Street
Cecil Castellucci is an author of young adult novels and comic books. Titles include Boy Proof, The Year of the Beasts (illustrated by Nate Powell), First Day on Earth, Rose Sees Red, Beige, The Queen of Cool The Plain Janes and Janes in Love (illustrated by Jim Rugg), Tin Star Stone in the Sky, Odd Duck (illustrated by Sara Varon) and Star Wars: Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure.

Her short
More about Cecil Castellucci...

“Silent is the ruined land.
Man is brutal
and the rain does not wash away
the pain
or rid the distant memory.
It makes it glisten.”
32 likes
“Non est ad astra mollis e terris via.
That's my philosophy. Its a quote from the past. "There is no easy way from the earth to the stars.”
25 likes