Start by marking “Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature” as Want to Read:
Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature

Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  474 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In a lead essay that powerfully states the broad argument of the book, William Cronon writes that the environmentalist goal of wilderness preservation is conceptually and politically wrongheaded. Among the ironies and entanglements resulting from this goal are the sale of nature in our malls through the Nature Company, and the disputes between working people and environmen ...more
Published October 17th 1996 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Uncommon Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncommon Ground

Jun 19, 2012 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: nature
Collection of great essays on "nature" by folks representing a diverse array of disciplines: plant biology, history, landscape architecture, culture and communications, feminist theory, literature, geography, etc. The "nature" the essayists address includes everything from the well-managed tourist-oriented wilderness (e.g., Yosemite, Mt. Rushmore); commercial nature (The Nature Company); landscape architecture (Frederick Law Olmsted); Amazonia; the very pricey real estate along the cliffs of sou ...more
David Bates
In 1995 Cronon edited a collected series of essays published under the title Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature, which strongly criticized the Environmental Movement for aspects of its worldview drawn from a misplaced emphasis on Nature as something set apart from society. “The work of literary scholars, anthropologists, cultural historians, and critical theorists over the past several decades has yielded abundant evidence,” Cronon noted, “that ‘nature’ is not nearly so natura ...more
Thought-provoking set of essays by great thinkers, including William Cronon as the editor. Cronon was writing and innovating in American environmental history before folks like Jared Diamond entered the scene and (in my opinion) repackaged some of the thinking of writers like Cronon and Crosby in a way that reached the masses. But Cronon was trying to reinsert the environment in our understanding of history long before it was a popular theme -- he was booed off of academic stages before his idea ...more
Nov 20, 2008 Anjuli rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nature lovers and historians.
Recommended to Anjuli by: Reiko Hillyer
Cronon promotes a nuanced understanding of historical environmentalism and how it has influenced the movement today. After reading this book, I felt less guilty as a human in nature and ready to redefine my place as part of an ecosystem.
John Vanek
Four stars for the totality of the essays--many are very good, a few are ok. Cronon's introduction alone is worth the fifth star. It's absolutely necessary reading for anyone who wants to think about his/her own place in the natural world.
Jun 27, 2007 Pierre rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Environmentalists
A series of essays that provide a well rounded assessment of how humans interact with nature. Environmentalists often perceive their view of nature and "preservation" as morally superior to other uses and needs that we rely upon from Mother Nature. One particular essay, titled, "Are you and environmentalist or do you work for a living" gets at the crux of this issue of how we can sustainably grow and develop societally and enhance our valuation and care for our environment.
The first third of this book excited me with poignant questions and observations. The middle third fell flat and the last third was an absolute struggle to get through. The first third is entirely worth it though and just pick those essays you want to read from the rest. Nature continues to be more culture than we acknowledge or discuss even though almost two decades have passed since this book was complied.
Really good book, full of fascinating stuff. The essay about Simulation alone will blow your mind, and once you throw in all the other stuff, you're going to be sucking up your brain drippings with a wet-vac. But, seriously, this book lays down an expansive challenge to what we think of as "natural" and how we consider our "stewardship" of the planet.
Jennifer DeJonghe
Some good essays about rethinking our views on wilderness and what constitutes as "natural". Some of the essays were better than others - Cronon's piece was particularly good and has influenced a lot of subsequent writings about nature.
A collection of essays resulting from a special sponsored project by UC-Irvine bringing together thinkers from different disciplines working to get at the meaning of "nature" in American life.
Generally interesting geography/environmentalist essays. Not as impenetrably philosophical as the other book I had to read for this class, "Human Geography: an Essential Anthology."
a collection of essays looking at nature and the role of humanity in today's world as well as historical and cultural relationships between man and nature.
I rated and reviewed this book on LibraryThing:
A new glance at the Sublime. William Cronon and Richard White are Giants.
Excellent. Always useful to think about our accepted paradigms.
Leah Cairns
Jun 14, 2013 Leah Cairns marked it as to-read
Shelves: hamilton
Anna recommends the first essay, "The Trouble with Wilderness."
Very interesting and VERY dense.
Jun 08, 2015 Jen marked it as to-read
Shelves: anth-soc, landscapes, uq
GE195 .U53 1995, SSAH
A powerful book.
Tony marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Sara marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Helen Wagner
Helen Wagner marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Mark Chapman
Mark Chapman marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
  • The Organic Machine: The Remaking of the Columbia River
  • Nature's Economy: A History of Ecological Ideas
  • Wilderness and the American Mind
  • Crimes Against Nature: Squatters, Poachers, Thieves, and the Hidden History of American Conservation
  • Ecological Imperialism: The Biological Expansion of Europe, 900-1900 (Studies in Environment and History)
  • Down to Earth: Nature's Role in American History
  • Earth in Mind: On Education, Environment, and the Human Prospect
  • Listening to the Land: Conversations about Nature, Culture and Eros
  • The Republic of Nature: An Environmental History of the United States
  • Killing for Coal: America's Deadliest Labor War
  • The End of Nature
  • A Green History of the World: The Environment & the Collapse of Great Civilizations
  • The Rambunctious Garden: Saving Nature in a Post-Wild World
  • The Ecological Indian: Myth and History
  • Something New Under the Sun: An Environmental History of the Twentieth-Century World
  • Flight Maps: Adventures With Nature In Modern America
  • Savage Dreams: A Journey into the Landscape Wars of the American West
  • Coming Home to the Pleistocene
William "Bill" Cronon is a noted environmental historian, and the Frederick Jackson Turner and Vilas Research Professor of History, Geography, and Environmental Studies at the University of Wisconsin–Madison. He was president of the American Historical Association (AHA) in 2012.
More about William Cronon...