Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature

Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  323 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Nature or people? The aim of legislating humans out of the wilderness is no solution to our environmental problems, argues this book - a timely reassessment of the environmentalist agenda by outstanding historians, scientists, and critics.
Published October 17th 1996 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1995)

A Sand County Almanac with Other Essays on Conservation from ... by Aldo LeopoldChanges in the Land by William CrononSilent Spring by Rachel CarsonReading the Forested Landscape by Tom WesselsUncommon Ground by William Cronon
Environmental Studies
5th out of 19 books — 7 voters
Tomatoland by Barry EstabrookThe Botany of Desire by Michael PollanThe World According to Monsanto by Marie-Monique RobinThe Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane JacobsDesign With Nature by Ian L. McHarg
Urban EE Collective Library
57th out of 125 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Sean
Jun 19, 2012 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: nature
Collection of great essays on "nature" by folks representing a diverse array of disciplines: plant biology, history, landscape architecture, culture and communications, feminist theory, literature, geography, etc. The "nature" the essayists address includes everything from the well-managed tourist-oriented wilderness (e.g., Yosemite, Mt. Rushmore); commercial nature (The Nature Company); landscape architecture (Frederick Law Olmsted); Amazonia; the very pricey real estate along the cliffs of sou...more
David Bates
In 1995 Cronon edited a collected series of essays published under the title Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature, which strongly criticized the Environmental Movement for aspects of its worldview drawn from a misplaced emphasis on Nature as something set apart from society. “The work of literary scholars, anthropologists, cultural historians, and critical theorists over the past several decades has yielded abundant evidence,” Cronon noted, “that ‘nature’ is not nearly so natura...more
Alissa
Thought-provoking set of essays by great thinkers, including William Cronon as the editor. Cronon was writing and innovating in American environmental history before folks like Jared Diamond entered the scene and (in my opinion) repackaged some of the thinking of writers like Cronon and Crosby in a way that reached the masses. But Cronon was trying to reinsert the environment in our understanding of history long before it was a popular theme -- he was booed off of academic stages before his idea...more
Anjuli
Nov 20, 2008 Anjuli rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nature lovers and historians.
Recommended to Anjuli by: Reiko Hillyer
Cronon promotes a nuanced understanding of historical environmentalism and how it has influenced the movement today. After reading this book, I felt less guilty as a human in nature and ready to redefine my place as part of an ecosystem.
Pierre
Jun 27, 2007 Pierre rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Environmentalists
A series of essays that provide a well rounded assessment of how humans interact with nature. Environmentalists often perceive their view of nature and "preservation" as morally superior to other uses and needs that we rely upon from Mother Nature. One particular essay, titled, "Are you and environmentalist or do you work for a living" gets at the crux of this issue of how we can sustainably grow and develop societally and enhance our valuation and care for our environment.
Erin
The first third of this book excited me with poignant questions and observations. The middle third fell flat and the last third was an absolute struggle to get through. The first third is entirely worth it though and just pick those essays you want to read from the rest. Nature continues to be more culture than we acknowledge or discuss even though almost two decades have passed since this book was complied.
Dustin
Really good book, full of fascinating stuff. The essay about Simulation alone will blow your mind, and once you throw in all the other stuff, you're going to be sucking up your brain drippings with a wet-vac. But, seriously, this book lays down an expansive challenge to what we think of as "natural" and how we consider our "stewardship" of the planet.
Jennifer DeJonghe
Some good essays about rethinking our views on wilderness and what constitutes as "natural". Some of the essays were better than others - Cronon's piece was particularly good and has influenced a lot of subsequent writings about nature.
Melissa
A collection of essays resulting from a special sponsored project by UC-Irvine bringing together thinkers from different disciplines working to get at the meaning of "nature" in American life.
Burgersub
Generally interesting geography/environmentalist essays. Not as impenetrably philosophical as the other book I had to read for this class, "Human Geography: an Essential Anthology."
Doina
a collection of essays looking at nature and the role of humanity in today's world as well as historical and cultural relationships between man and nature.
Gabriel
A new glance at the Sublime. William Cronon and Richard White are Giants.
Justin
Excellent. Always useful to think about our accepted paradigms.
Leah Cairns
Jun 14, 2013 Leah Cairns marked it as to-read
Shelves: hamilton
Anna recommends the first essay, "The Trouble with Wilderness."
Molly
Very interesting and VERY dense.
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Larry Darnell
Larry Darnell marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Stacey Camp
Stacey Camp marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Kate Stanley
Kate Stanley marked it as to-read
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Elyse
Elyse marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Mark Fitzpatrick
Mark Fitzpatrick marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
J K
J K marked it as to-read
Tim Ewing
Tim Ewing marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
  • Wilderness and the American Mind
  • The Organic Machine: The Remaking of the Columbia River
  • Ecological Imperialism: The Biological Expansion of Europe, 900-1900 (Studies in Environment and History)
  • Earth in Mind: On Education, Environment, and the Human Prospect
  • Down to Earth: Nature's Role in American History
  • Rivers of Empire: Water, Aridity, and the Growth of the American West
  • A Green History of the World: The Environment & the Collapse of Great Civilizations
  • The End of Nature
  • Listening to the Land: Conversations about Nature, Culture and Eros
  • Killing for Coal: America's Deadliest Labor War
  • Savage Dreams: A Journey into the Landscape Wars of the American West
  • Nature Writings: The Story of My Boyhood and Youth / My First Summer in the Sierra / The Mountains of California / Stickeen / Essays (Library of America #92)
  • Dirt: The Erosion of Civilizations
  • Feral: Rewilding the Land, the Sea, and Human Life
  • Something New Under the Sun: An Environmental History of the Twentieth-Century World
  • Living Downstream: A Scientist's Personal Investigation of Cancer and the Environment
  • The Natural History of Selborne
  • The Great Animal Orchestra: Finding the Origins of Music in the World's Wild Places
Nature's Metropolis: Chicago and the Great West Changes in the Land: Indians, Colonists, and the Ecology of New England Under an Open Sky: Rethinking America's Western Past Dreaming of sheep in Navajo country (Weyerhaeuser Environmental Books) The Lost Wolves of Japan