Start by marking “Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature” as Want to Read:
Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature

Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Nature or people? The aim of legislating humans out of the wilderness is no solution to our environmental problems, argues this book - a timely reassessment of the environmentalist agenda by outstanding historians, scientists, and critics.
Published October 17th 1996 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Uncommon Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncommon Ground

A Sand County Almanac with Other Essays on Conservation from ... by Aldo LeopoldChanges in the Land by William CrononSilent Spring by Rachel CarsonReading the Forested Landscape by Tom WesselsUncommon Ground by William Cronon
Environmental Studies
5th out of 20 books — 8 voters
Silent Spring by Rachel CarsonWhy Big Fierce Animals Are Rare by Paul A. ColinvauxThe World Without Us by Alan WeismanThe World Is Blue by Sylvia A. EarleThe Ocean of Life by Callum Roberts
Waking Up to the Earth and Sky
8th out of 109 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Sean
Jun 19, 2012 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: nature
Collection of great essays on "nature" by folks representing a diverse array of disciplines: plant biology, history, landscape architecture, culture and communications, feminist theory, literature, geography, etc. The "nature" the essayists address includes everything from the well-managed tourist-oriented wilderness (e.g., Yosemite, Mt. Rushmore); commercial nature (The Nature Company); landscape architecture (Frederick Law Olmsted); Amazonia; the very pricey real estate along the cliffs of sou...more
David Bates
In 1995 Cronon edited a collected series of essays published under the title Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature, which strongly criticized the Environmental Movement for aspects of its worldview drawn from a misplaced emphasis on Nature as something set apart from society. “The work of literary scholars, anthropologists, cultural historians, and critical theorists over the past several decades has yielded abundant evidence,” Cronon noted, “that ‘nature’ is not nearly so natura...more
Alissa
Thought-provoking set of essays by great thinkers, including William Cronon as the editor. Cronon was writing and innovating in American environmental history before folks like Jared Diamond entered the scene and (in my opinion) repackaged some of the thinking of writers like Cronon and Crosby in a way that reached the masses. But Cronon was trying to reinsert the environment in our understanding of history long before it was a popular theme -- he was booed off of academic stages before his idea...more
Anjuli
Nov 20, 2008 Anjuli rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nature lovers and historians.
Recommended to Anjuli by: Reiko Hillyer
Cronon promotes a nuanced understanding of historical environmentalism and how it has influenced the movement today. After reading this book, I felt less guilty as a human in nature and ready to redefine my place as part of an ecosystem.
Pierre
Jun 27, 2007 Pierre rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Environmentalists
A series of essays that provide a well rounded assessment of how humans interact with nature. Environmentalists often perceive their view of nature and "preservation" as morally superior to other uses and needs that we rely upon from Mother Nature. One particular essay, titled, "Are you and environmentalist or do you work for a living" gets at the crux of this issue of how we can sustainably grow and develop societally and enhance our valuation and care for our environment.
Erin
The first third of this book excited me with poignant questions and observations. The middle third fell flat and the last third was an absolute struggle to get through. The first third is entirely worth it though and just pick those essays you want to read from the rest. Nature continues to be more culture than we acknowledge or discuss even though almost two decades have passed since this book was complied.
Dustin
Really good book, full of fascinating stuff. The essay about Simulation alone will blow your mind, and once you throw in all the other stuff, you're going to be sucking up your brain drippings with a wet-vac. But, seriously, this book lays down an expansive challenge to what we think of as "natural" and how we consider our "stewardship" of the planet.
Jennifer DeJonghe
Some good essays about rethinking our views on wilderness and what constitutes as "natural". Some of the essays were better than others - Cronon's piece was particularly good and has influenced a lot of subsequent writings about nature.
Melissa
A collection of essays resulting from a special sponsored project by UC-Irvine bringing together thinkers from different disciplines working to get at the meaning of "nature" in American life.
Burgersub
Generally interesting geography/environmentalist essays. Not as impenetrably philosophical as the other book I had to read for this class, "Human Geography: an Essential Anthology."
Doina
a collection of essays looking at nature and the role of humanity in today's world as well as historical and cultural relationships between man and nature.
Gabriel
A new glance at the Sublime. William Cronon and Richard White are Giants.
Justin
Excellent. Always useful to think about our accepted paradigms.
Leah Cairns
Jun 14, 2013 Leah Cairns marked it as to-read
Shelves: hamilton
Anna recommends the first essay, "The Trouble with Wilderness."
Molly
Very interesting and VERY dense.
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Marjan Vala
Marjan Vala is currently reading it
Oct 24, 2014
Ramona
Ramona marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Amy W
Amy W marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Tommy
Tommy marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
  • Wilderness and the American Mind
  • The Organic Machine: The Remaking of the Columbia River
  • Nature's Economy: A History of Ecological Ideas
  • Ecological Imperialism: The Biological Expansion of Europe, 900-1900 (Studies in Environment and History)
  • Ecology Without Nature: Rethinking Environmental Aesthetics
  • Down to Earth: Nature's Role in American History
  • Earth in Mind: On Education, Environment, and the Human Prospect
  • Listening to the Land: Conversations about Nature, Culture and Eros
  • Killing for Coal: America's Deadliest Labor War
  • A Green History of the World: The Environment & the Collapse of Great Civilizations
  • The End of Nature
  • Savage Dreams: A Journey into the Landscape Wars of the American West
  • The Spell of the Sensuous: Perception and Language in a More-Than-Human World
  • Dirt: The Erosion of Civilizations
  • Ecofeminism
  • Feral: Rewilding the Land, the Sea, and Human Life
  • Something New Under the Sun: An Environmental History of the Twentieth-Century World
  • Nature Writings: The Story of My Boyhood and Youth / My First Summer in the Sierra / The Mountains of California / Stickeen / Essays (Library of America #92)
Nature's Metropolis: Chicago and the Great West Changes in the Land: Indians, Colonists, and the Ecology of New England Under an Open Sky: Rethinking America's Western Past Dreaming of sheep in Navajo country (Weyerhaeuser Environmental Books) The Lost Wolves of Japan