Start by marking “Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful” as Want to Read:
Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful

Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Alfred Hitchcock presents nine short stories that are sure to make young readers shiver (while they get a good dose of some fine writing!). Includes "The Red-Headed League" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; "The Treasure in the Cave" by Mark Twain; "Jimmy Takes Vanishing Lessons" by Walter R. Brooks; "The Forgotton Island" by Elizabeth Coatsworth; "The Water Ghost of Harrowby Hal ...more
Published September 12th 1961 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful

Nov 09, 2009 Werner rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids who aren't very critical
Earlier, I'd read (and reviewed) Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery, which --though aimed at YA readers-- was appreciable by adults; the stories selected there were kid-friendly, but not written intentionally for children. When I saw this volume on sale last summer at a yard sale, I expected more of the same. I was particularly drawn in by discovering, in the table of contents, that it included a story by Manly Wade Wellman (my favorite supernatural writer), AND one I read as a kid in some other ...more
One of my favorite books when I was a kid, I've been lugging it from house to house since 1962.
My kids love these simple tales with some mystery and exciting spins. We are simple people though so perhaps this book isn't action packed enough for all. My eight year old is very tuned into the consequences of events. Enjoyable.
This is a book I enjoyed as a child. It was fun to reread it.
The collection didn't really live up to the title: not all the stories were about haunted houses, and very few had real ghosts. When I saw the table of contents, I was excited to read something by Mark Twain I had never seen before, "The Treasure of the Cave," but it was merely an excerpt from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer that took up nearly a third of the book.
This was a book I had as a child and loved. I found the exact same edition at a bookstore by my house and bought it. It's short stories for "young people" however I think this bunch is a lot more intelligent than some of the stuff I read in adult books. Mostly I like the illustrations, they are so cheerfully morbid.
Tami Steelman
My love of Halloween and all things spooky is probably why I have read this book several times. This book is comprised of 9 scary short stories for kids. This book is great to pull out during the Halloween season and read one of its stories by the fire. Hitchcock is classic and timeless.
Denis Hancock
Here's a book I read more than once as a child. When I saw it was available as a used book I bought it and re-read it as an adult. While it is targeted then and today toward young readers, the stories are written at a level that adults can still enjoy.
Can't rate it yet. I used to check it out of the library religiously when I was a kid, so I finally purchased a used copy from Amazon. Just started it. Cute ghost stories for young readers (although not nearly as scary as I remembered)
Amazing stories that my mother used to read to me when i was a little girl. I love Hitchcock and this book just stirs up great memories :)
One of those books I loved as a kid- I think I enjoyed the creepy illustrations in this book more than the stories themselves!
Another of my childhood favorites. Because of this book I still love the Horror genre.
Haunted houseful by Alfred Hitchcock (1961)
Fun read for Halloween time.
Lucky marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Susan Robinson-trimble
Susan Robinson-trimble marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Lyn McNeil
Lyn McNeil marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Kara Bernard
Kara Bernard marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Jennifer Herzberg
Jennifer Herzberg marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Devin added it
Oct 01, 2015
Mike added it
Sep 20, 2015
Liz added it
Sep 15, 2015
Usshao marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Skylar marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Outsiders: 22 All-New Stories From the Edge
  • Out of the Everywhere, and Other Extraordinary Visions
  • Warriors 1
  • Doctor Who And Warriors Gate
  • The Case of the Vanishing Boy
  • Alternate Empires (What Might Have Been, #1)
  • Gabby (Serendipity)
  • Telzey Amberdon
  • Doctor Who: The Three Doctors (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • The Burning Eye (War World #1)
  • Approaching Oblivion
  • Doctor Who and the Keys of Marinus
  • Retief to the Rescue (Retief, #11)
  • Eight Tales of Terror
  • Magic Fish
  • John the Balladeer (Silver John)
  • Beyond Armageddon
  • Letters from Atlantis
Sir Alfred Joseph Hitchcock KBE was an iconic and highly influential film director and producer, who pioneered many techniques in the suspense and thriller genres.

Following a very substantial career in his native Britain in both silent films and talkies, Hitchcock moved to Hollywood and became an American citizen with dual nationality in 1956, thus he also remained a British subject.

Hitchcock dire
More about Alfred Hitchcock...