Start by marking “Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful” as Want to Read:
Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful

Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Alfred Hitchcock presents nine short stories that are sure to make young readers shiver (while they get a good dose of some fine writing!). Includes "The Red-Headed League" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; "The Treasure in the Cave" by Mark Twain; "Jimmy Takes Vanishing Lessons" by Walter R. Brooks; "The Forgotton Island" by Elizabeth Coatsworth; "The Water Ghost of Harrowby Hal ...more
Published September 12th 1961 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful

Werner
Nov 09, 2009 Werner rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids who aren't very critical
Earlier, I'd read (and reviewed) Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery, which --though aimed at YA readers-- was appreciable by adults; the stories selected there were kid-friendly, but not written intentionally for children. When I saw this volume on sale last summer at a yard sale, I expected more of the same. I was particularly drawn in by discovering, in the table of contents, that it included a story by Manly Wade Wellman (my favorite supernatural writer), AND one I read as a kid in some other ...more
Koeeoaddi
One of my favorite books when I was a kid, I've been lugging it from house to house since 1962.
Garris
This is a book I enjoyed as a child. It was fun to reread it.
Trey
The collection didn't really live up to the title: not all the stories were about haunted houses, and very few had real ghosts. When I saw the table of contents, I was excited to read something by Mark Twain I had never seen before, "The Treasure of the Cave," but it was merely an excerpt from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer that took up nearly a third of the book.
Melsky
This was a book I had as a child and loved. I found the exact same edition at a bookstore by my house and bought it. It's short stories for "young people" however I think this bunch is a lot more intelligent than some of the stuff I read in adult books. Mostly I like the illustrations, they are so cheerfully morbid.
Tami Steelman
My love of Halloween and all things spooky is probably why I have read this book several times. This book is comprised of 9 scary short stories for kids. This book is great to pull out during the Halloween season and read one of its stories by the fire. Hitchcock is classic and timeless.
Denis Hancock
Here's a book I read more than once as a child. When I saw it was available as a used book I bought it and re-read it as an adult. While it is targeted then and today toward young readers, the stories are written at a level that adults can still enjoy.
Newby
Can't rate it yet. I used to check it out of the library religiously when I was a kid, so I finally purchased a used copy from Amazon. Just started it. Cute ghost stories for young readers (although not nearly as scary as I remembered)
Misty
Amazing stories that my mother used to read to me when i was a little girl. I love Hitchcock and this book just stirs up great memories :)
happydog
One of those books I loved as a kid- I think I enjoyed the creepy illustrations in this book more than the stories themselves!
Donna
Another of my childhood favorites. Because of this book I still love the Horror genre.
Cimmerian76
Haunted houseful by Alfred Hitchcock (1961)
Charlotte Gates
Charlotte Gates marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Sayeed Shihab
Sayeed Shihab marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Rhea
Rhea marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
A.L. Butcher
A.L. Butcher marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Denise
Denise added it
Nov 17, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Janey
Janey marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Anne
Anne is currently reading it
Oct 03, 2014
Cheyenne Phillips
Cheyenne Phillips marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Warriors 1
  • Doctor Who And Warriors Gate
  • Alternate Empires (What Might Have Been, #1)
  • Gabby (Serendipity)
  • Telzey Amberdon
  • Doctor Who: The Three Doctors (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Beyond Armageddon
  • Doctor Who and the Keys of Marinus
  • Eight Tales of Terror
  • The Witch Herself (Witch Saga, #3)
  • Approaching Oblivion
  • Death's Head Rebellion (War World, #2)
  • Selected Stories
  • The Return of Retief (Retief, #12)
  • Departures
  • The Lonely Doll
  • Gus Was A Friendly Ghost
  • John the Balladeer (Silver John)
Sir Alfred Joseph Hitchcock KBE was an iconic and highly influential film director and producer, who pioneered many techniques in the suspense and thriller genres.

Following a very substantial career in his native Britain in both silent films and talkies, Hitchcock moved to Hollywood and became an American citizen with dual nationality in 1956, thus he also remained a British subject.

Hitchcock dire
More about Alfred Hitchcock...
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories for Late at Night Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories Not for the Nervous Tales of Terror: 58 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery