Start by marking “Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful” as Want to Read:
Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful

Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Alfred Hitchcock presents nine short stories that are sure to make young readers shiver (while they get a good dose of some fine writing!). Includes "The Red-Headed League" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; "The Treasure in the Cave" by Mark Twain; "Jimmy Takes Vanishing Lessons" by Walter R. Brooks; "The Forgotton Island" by Elizabeth Coatsworth; "The Water Ghost of Harrowby Hal ...more
Published September 12th 1961 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful

Werner
Nov 09, 2009 Werner rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids who aren't very critical
Earlier, I'd read (and reviewed) Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery, which --though aimed at YA readers-- was appreciable by adults; the stories selected there were kid-friendly, but not written intentionally for children. When I saw this volume on sale last summer at a yard sale, I expected more of the same. I was particularly drawn in by discovering, in the table of contents, that it included a story by Manly Wade Wellman (my favorite supernatural writer), AND one I read as a kid in some other ...more
Koeeoaddi
One of my favorite books when I was a kid, I've been lugging it from house to house since 1962.
Garris
This is a book I enjoyed as a child. It was fun to reread it.
Trey
The collection didn't really live up to the title: not all the stories were about haunted houses, and very few had real ghosts. When I saw the table of contents, I was excited to read something by Mark Twain I had never seen before, "The Treasure of the Cave," but it was merely an excerpt from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer that took up nearly a third of the book.
Melsky
This was a book I had as a child and loved. I found the exact same edition at a bookstore by my house and bought it. It's short stories for "young people" however I think this bunch is a lot more intelligent than some of the stuff I read in adult books. Mostly I like the illustrations, they are so cheerfully morbid.
Tami Steelman
My love of Halloween and all things spooky is probably why I have read this book several times. This book is comprised of 9 scary short stories for kids. This book is great to pull out during the Halloween season and read one of its stories by the fire. Hitchcock is classic and timeless.
Denis Hancock
Here's a book I read more than once as a child. When I saw it was available as a used book I bought it and re-read it as an adult. While it is targeted then and today toward young readers, the stories are written at a level that adults can still enjoy.
Newby
Can't rate it yet. I used to check it out of the library religiously when I was a kid, so I finally purchased a used copy from Amazon. Just started it. Cute ghost stories for young readers (although not nearly as scary as I remembered)
Misty
Amazing stories that my mother used to read to me when i was a little girl. I love Hitchcock and this book just stirs up great memories :)
happydog
One of those books I loved as a kid- I think I enjoyed the creepy illustrations in this book more than the stories themselves!
Donna
Another of my childhood favorites. Because of this book I still love the Horror genre.
Cimmerian76
Haunted houseful by Alfred Hitchcock (1961)
Ligia
Ligia marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Stephen Millard
Stephen Millard marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Syco
Syco marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Selina Leavitt
Selina Leavitt marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Elle
Elle marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Chantel Windsor
Chantel Windsor marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Jordi
Jordi marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Christine Cook
Christine Cook marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
  • Warriors 1
  • Doctor Who And Warriors Gate
  • Alternate Empires (What Might Have Been, #1)
  • Out of the Everywhere, and Other Extraordinary Visions
  • Gabby (Serendipity)
  • Telzey Amberdon
  • Doctor Who: The Three Doctors (Target Doctor Who Library)
  • Eight Tales of Terror
  • Beyond Armageddon
  • Approaching Oblivion
  • I Sing The Body Electric
  • The Inner Courtyard: Stories By Indian Women
  • The Return of Retief (Retief, #12)
  • Death's Head Rebellion (War World, #2)
  • Witch Water (Witch Saga, #2)
  • The Planet On The Table
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Ninth Annual Collection
  • The Lonely Doll
Sir Alfred Joseph Hitchcock KBE was an iconic and highly influential film director and producer, who pioneered many techniques in the suspense and thriller genres.

Following a very substantial career in his native Britain in both silent films and talkies, Hitchcock moved to Hollywood and became an American citizen with dual nationality in 1956, thus he also remained a British subject.

Hitchcock dire
More about Alfred Hitchcock...
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories for Late at Night Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories Not for the Nervous Tales of Terror: 58 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense The Best of Mystery: 63 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense