Start by marking “A Diary of Private Prayer” as Want to Read:
A Diary of Private Prayer

A Diary of Private Prayer

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  35 reviews
With over a million copies in print, John Baillie’s classic collection of scripture and prayers is a beautiful daily devotional, the perfect companion guide to any Christian seeking to enrich their life through growth in prayer.

In this book of personal devotions, noted theologian Dr. John Baillie offers personal prayers for people who are seeking a better underst
Published July 16th 1996 by Touchstone (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about A Diary of Private Prayer, please sign up.

Yevette The book was mentioned by Gary Thomas in his book "every body matters." I can't wait to get a copy.…moreThe book was mentioned by Gary Thomas in his book "every body matters." I can't wait to get a copy.(less)

Rebecca Foster
This is a revised reprint edition of a 1936 devotional classic. It’s structured for 31 days plus Sundays, and divided into morning and evening. The prayers are a mixture of prose and verse, with liberal quotations from poets (Wordsworth, Tennyson, et al.) and the book of Psalms. Some also have fill-in-the-blank sections to allow for personalization. Susanna Wright’s updates are evident in mentions of atoms and molecules, HIV/AIDS, and computers and the Internet.

Some favorite passages:

“when this
Mikejencostanzo
In recent years, I've become very strict with myself regarding what books I will buy. Having worked at the public library for several years, I now instinctively borrow rather than buy.

But, there are certain books that I make exceptions for. My rule of thumb is to only purchase (or keep) a book if I can answer "Yes" to at least one of the following questions:

* Do I love this book so much that I intend to read it multiple times?
* Do I love this book so much that I intend to recommend/lend it to
Michael Philliber
A have used this little gem over the last 10 years. It is very user-friendly. It covers 31 days, both morning and evening. With each prayer there is a blank page for scribbling notes, prayer requests etc. Most of the time the prayers range from delightful, to beautiful, to rich. Only on rare occasions does the writer's liberalism seep through problematically (like the morning prayer on the fifth day, in which Ballie blows along with the winds of Evolution). I highly recommend it, but with a remi ...more
Gail Welborn
***If your prayer life is spiritually stale, "A Diary of Private Prayer" is a MUST READ!

If your prayer life seems spiritually stale and disconnected with prayers that seem to bounce off the ceiling instead of reaching the Throne room of God, John Bailee's devotional classic A Diary of Private Prayer teaches "prayer is the language of faith."

The prayer collection consists of sixty-four inspirational one-page prayers, thirty-one for morning and evening and two special prayers for Sunday morning a
Connie
I have never before read a book of prayers, so I have nothing to compare this too. However, having drifted into a rather self-centered prayer time and mumbling the same things over and over again, I thought I'd reach out and see what this book was like. And I have not been disappointed!

The prayer collection consists of sixty-four inspirational one-page prayers. Thirty-one for morning and evening and two special prayers for Sunday morning and evening. The prayers are not only for the individual p
Andrew Canavan
This is a great book of daily prayers (morning and evening) from an early-mid 20th century theologian and leader in the Church of Scotland. Some of the prayers verge on the wishy-washiness of theological liberalism, but most are incredibly helpful and biblical guides to daily prayer.
Meredith MacInnis
This is one of the best books I have ever had the pleasure to run across and read. I know there are lots of people that feel that written prayers by others are not the be all and end all, but they are beautiful in their own right. Also, if you have the capacity to learn from example, this book is a springboard to understanding/glimpsing the broad array of approaching God, who hears our voices, inept as they may be, as we trust and turn to Him. In the original editions (I am not sure how many hav ...more
Amanda Sheila
****An Advanced Reading Copy of A Diary of Private Prayer by John Baillie was generously provided to me via NetGalley in exchange for honest review.

I rarely read this kind of book before. Because to me, prayer's something I know naturally. Sure I have to read some, but I'm not a type of person who read book like this to pray.
Surprisingly, I enjoyed reading this book. I mean, the prayers here are more like conversation between us and God. I loved it.

Look forward to read a book like this anytime
Ian
Thirty-two days (yes, an extra "Sunday"), one prayer to start the day and one to end it. This is "A Diary of Private Prayer".

This little book has been a wonderful addition to my prayer life these past six weeks and I intend on starting from page one again tomorrow. Even though written in the 1940s these prayers are still timely and relevant to do today.

Beautifully poetic and quoting from Scripture I have found these prayers to be particularly useful in stilling my heart and invigorating my praye
Neil Coulter

As an admitted logophile, I have long been assisted in my prayers by reading beautifully written prayers. The Episcopal Book of Common Prayer is, of course, one favorite. But recently I found John Baillie's magnificent A Diary of Private Prayer (first published in 1949). I first learned of it from Richard J. Foster's edited collection, Devotional Classics. Soon after this first discovery, I ordered a copy for myself, and soon after reading it myself I ordered more copies to give away to friends.

Tim
This is one of those books that I've known about for a long time (Richard Foster lists it as one of his favorite devotional books) but never picked up (until I found it on the 50% off rack at the Fuller bookstore). What a rich book - it's very simple, with a month's worth of one-page prayers for morning and evening. What first struck me as I read is this is a man who has spent a lifetime in the presence of God - talking with him, wrestling with him, loving and being loved by him. It has great de ...more
Bex Daynes
This is a book of John Baillee's thoughtful, inspiring & eloquent prayers, which are now more accessible in this updated & revised edition by Susanna Wright.
There is one for each morning & evening for a month, with space in the book for your own thoughts & prayers to be written alongside.
John Bailee was clearly a man who knew God well & his prayers encourage us to do the same.
It's a book I'll go back to again & again to aid my quiet times with God.
Joanne
This book of daily prayers was given to me by my parents when I left home for college. Their wise attempt to save my soul : ). Have found strength and comfort amongst it's pages.
Ann
I love this book. I love everything about it. Published in 1949 and written by a Scottish cleric, it contains 31 morning and evening prayers. The language is beautiful, artful, comforting. He is a wordsmith of the first order, but, more than that, he is clearly a man who has spent much time talking with God. Knowing Him, being known by Him, and making Him known. His sweet, comely prayers speak my heart every time.

This little collection of prayers is a gift. "Every good and perfect gift cometh d
Paul Dubuc
Mar 07, 2010 Paul Dubuc rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who love to pray (or want to)
Recommended to Paul by: Ed Wojniak
Shelves: prayers
A wonderful book of morning and evening prayers for 31 days with a special pair in the back for Sundays. The older English language usage takes a bit of getting used to but that's worth the effort. They are to be read slowly and meditatively. Pause for silence in places. These prayers encourage examen and inspire adaptation. Make them your own. This edition leaves a blank page in front of every prayer for your own notes. A good book to have and use during Lent.
Val
a beautiful book of daily prayer. A morning and evening prayer although the language is a bit thee and though a bit dated for my taste I still gave it 5 stars because I found the daily routine of this little book of prayer filled me with faith and the love of my God.
Kent
The book contains 64 prayers, 31 days of morning and evening prayers and 2 prayers designated Sunday morning and Sunday evening.

The prayers are wonderfully diverse. They expand what I thank the Lord for and lead me into praying for things I don't normally pray about.

The format of the prayers vary, too. Sometimes Baillie will have you praying through Scripture verses, for instance.

Finally, the prayers are just really well-written.
Jeff Crosby
This "diary" of 31 morning and evening prayers by a Scottish cleric and theologian, first published in the late 1940s, will be a book that I return to several times a year as a means of prayer when my own voice is insufficient and words do not come easily. A beautiful book that I wish I'd discovered years ago.
Meg
This is a truly insightful month long book of prayers, one for each morning and evening of the month. The prayers are not long but take you before God in prayer in simple, God/Christ- centered, scripturally based confession, repentence, praise and petition. A wonderful focus to start and end each day.
Lisa
Apr 23, 2015 Lisa is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I am so bad at reading these daily type books. It's taken me over a year to get through this one. Love the short little bite-size prayer. They were very articulate and made me think. However I just can't do it daily format book.
Joe Cox
This is the second time I have read through these prayers and will continue to use it to launch my prayer time in the morning. Simply one of the best prayer resources I have read and prayed through.
Grete
Rich, beautiful prayers. I don't fully share Baillie's theology of creation or gender, but these evening and morning words to God are a tremendous source for directing worship and self-examination.
Morris
I keep this on a table in the living room by a north-facing window, where I often sit when I have some spare time. One of those books you can pick up and enjoy often.
jennifer
a beautiful collection of morning and evening prayers over 31 days, it's been a great help in the pursuit of a deeper and more disciplined prayer life.
Anne
This is one of the loveliest books ever written in English. A tiny little book with two pages per day (morning and evening) to spark ideas and meditation.
Ben Fredrick
This is one of my all-time favorites! Some day/year I will actually get in the habit of reading his daily morning AND nighttime entries!!
Sara
Truly authentic and vulnerable prayers that are a great way to lead into some genuine time with the Lord.
Whitney
May 09, 2012 Whitney is currently reading it
The ond-fashioned language can be a bit off-putting, but the prayers are inspiring and challenging.
Russell Hayes
Beautifully written prayers for evening and morning. Can't recommend highly enough!
Darsey
Sweet, heart-felt, easy-to-identify-with prayers. Has greatly enriched prayer life.
  • The Divine Hours: Prayers for Summertime--A Manual for Prayer (v. 1)
  • Fasting: The Ancient Practices
  • Glittering Vices: A New Look at the Seven Deadly Sins and Their Remedies
  • Pilgrim Theology: Core Doctrines for Christian Disciples
  • Making Room: Recovering Hospitality as a Christian Tradition
  • E. M. Bounds on Prayer
  • Face to Face: Praying the Scriptures for Intimate Worship: Praying the Scriptures for Intimate Worship v. 1 (Face to Face: Intimate Worship)
  • Spiritual Mothering
  • Sanctuary of the Soul: Journey Into Meditative Prayer
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings From the Northumbria Community
  • Reformation Thought
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • Fear and Faith: Finding the Peace Your Heart Craves
Our Knowledge of God A Diary Of Readings (Oxford Paperbacks) Idea of Revelation in Recent Thought The interpretation of religion: An introductory study of the theological principles  the sense of the presence of God

“I thank Thee, O Lord, that Thou hast so set eternity within my heart that no earthly thing can ever satisfy me wholly.” 6 likes
“My heart an altar, and Thy love the flame.” 1 likes