Start by marking “The Youngest Girl in the Fifth” as Want to Read:
The Youngest Girl in the Fifth

The Youngest Girl in the Fifth

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published January 11th 2008 by BiblioLife (first published 1914)

To ask other readers questions about The Youngest Girl in the Fifth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Youngest Girl in the Fifth

Lindley Walter-smith
Three familiar Brazil plots in one: the new girl who finds a form relentlessly opposed to her, the girl of good family struggling under upper middle class ideas of poverty (one servant, however will we afford the fees of top schools?) but with great talent for academics or games or both, and best of all, the protagonist who commits a sin/error of judgement at the beginning, doesn't own up to it, and ends up digging herself deeper and deeper and deeper...

Gwen's sufferings both as social outcast a
LauraW
This is a book from a much earlier era, where school girls actually tried to be moral and ethical and when it wasn't a subject of ridicule to try to be honest and work hard. I like that part about the book. On the other hand, the writing is saccharine and overbearingly descriptive in places.

But, since I am quite interested in books about schools, that aspect of the book was still worth reading for me. It was a time when competition for school prizes was about real scholarship, not just high sco
Karen
A pretty much perfect jolly hockysticks tale about the importance of girls being plucky, honest and kind. A quick, easy read which was enhanced in my case by having found a 1917 copy in a second hand book shop. Pure indulgence.
Kirsti
Ah! Now this is the kind of story I love! the pure innocence of boarding school girls, where exams and tennis results are all they strive for. Gwen is a great character, one who builds her place in her new form gradually and believably. she struggles with a terrible secret, unwelcome friendship, and a whole lot of growing up. It was a pleasant one to spend the afternoon, reading a free copy of this on my kindle!
Sherwood Smith
These school stories are fascinating period pieces. Brazil gave girl readers their own world, one untainted by boys, complete, fulfulling, and so very, very happy . . . as long as one conformed.
Peter B Creedon
I do believe Gwen Gascoyne is a bit of a crybaby. Netta Goodwin is one of the biggest twits in the story.
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Loy Williams
Loy Williams marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Ooha Biddala
Ooha Biddala marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Ally
Ally marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Sara
Sara added it
Feb 22, 2015
Sesana
Sesana marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Lilania Kershaw
Lilania Kershaw marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Kemaria
Kemaria marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Melissa Diaz ferro
Melissa Diaz ferro marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Malak Adny
Malak Adny marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Lisa (scarlet21)
Lisa (scarlet21) marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Born in Preston, Lancashire in 1868, Angela Brazil (pronounced "brazzle") was the youngest child of cotton mill manager Clarence Brazil, and his wife, Angelica McKinnel. She was educated at the Turrets - a small private school in Wallasey - and then, when the Brazils were living in Manchester, at the preparatory department of the Manchester High School, and (as a boarder) at Ellerslie, an exclusiv ...more
More about Angela Brazil...
The Luckiest Girl in the School For the Sake of the School The Manor House School A Fourth Form Friendship The Nicest Girl in the School