Start by marking “The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come” as Want to Read:
The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come

The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come

1910. The book begins: The days of that April had been days of mist and rain. Sometimes, for hours, there would come a miracle of blue sky, white cloud, and yellow light, but always between dark and dark the rain would fall and the mist creep up the mountains and steam from the tops-only to roll together from either range, drip back into the valleys, and lift, straightway, ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1903)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come

John
Oct 11, 2010 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mark Twain types. Civil war fictional readers interested in local-color.
Recommended to John by: Judy
Shelves: re-read, civil-war
AJ Huff
Sep 15, 2016 AJ Huff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm surprised I enjoyed this book as much as I did. I wouldn't call it a page turner but I did look forward to each chapter each time I picked the book up. I believe the book was written about 1898 but first published in 1903. It was a top 10 best seller in both 1903 and 1904.

The story takes place in Kentucky roughly 1850-1865, the lead up to and through the Civil War. Great descriptions of pioneer life in the Kentucky mountains and contrasted with the "settlements" life of the Bluegrass in Lexi
Peter P
Mar 24, 2014 Peter P rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This 1903 novel of a boy, Chad Buford, coming of age in Kentucky before and during the U.S. Civil War is a minor classic and was best seller in its time, according to some the firt to reach a million copies. My father had me read it while I was in high school, and I've lately returned to it with pleasure, and give it five stars. Its author, John Fox Jr, knows his state, its landscapes, and how it was torn by the Civil War. Orphaned, mountain boy Chad, and Jack, his sheep dog, flee a hated neighb ...more
Danielle
Jul 19, 2016 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the story of Chad, a young man with no family who makes his way in the world and discovers his identity, coming of age at the beginning of the Civil War.

The beginning of this book brought me a lot of reminders of other classics like Heidi, but there are deeper themes of loyalty and the struggle to make decisions that those books don't get into. This is a sanitized picture of the Civil War and the disturbances leading up to it. One thought I had as I read of yet another chivalrous ac
Cathy Cramer
This is an excellent Civil War story. It starts with the boyhood stories of Chad Buford, like some little Huck Finn, but continues with an intricate story of civil war times, where Chad sides with the North over his adoptive family of the South. It's a clear picture of the divisions in Kentucky, family member against family member or friend against friend in the war. Pay close attention to even the bit characters in the boyhood part of the story, as they become important in the civil war part of ...more
Bill Lively
Dec 02, 2014 Bill Lively rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Fox spent time in the Kingdom Come area talking to people and listening to their stories. Later, in his books, he included many of these stories. His described a culture and society of Appalachia that no longer exists.
Eawold
Aug 16, 2009 Eawold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. True book about God's country!
Ashley Lawson
Aug 27, 2010 Ashley Lawson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily one of my favorite books of all times!!!
L. (Climbing Mt. TBR one page at a time)
Chadwick Buford is a Kentucky foundling with the unnatural luck to keep getting complete strangers to take him and raise him for a bit. After his foster parents die, Chad is taken in by the Turner family. Young daughter Melissa Turner falls in love with him.

When Chad is separted from the Turners, he's then taken in by Major Buford. Although Chad doesn't know much about his own family past, the Major believes Chad is the decendent of a long lost relative of the man's. Chad makes friends with the
Jewel
Feb 19, 2014 Jewel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, history
My copy of this book was published in 1903, hard bound. I thoroughly enjoyed this tale of a Kentucky backwoods lad, Chad and his dog Jack. Set pre-civil war and during the war, it covers a time of political turmoil, issues that pit families and friends against each other and follows Chad through the war as he changes from naive to sophisticated and a leader. Rich language and some romance also.
Kim Malavey
Jan 27, 2014 Kim Malavey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 87 yr. old father told me he remembered this book from his early childhood. He said his mom read to them (5boys) every night until they fell asleep. This is the book he really remembered.
I enjoyed it. I loved the rich language and the story.
This would be a great family book.
P Freeman
Feb 24, 2015 P Freeman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was very engaging. I really brought the civil war down to earth for me. Helped me understand how a person from Kentucky felt about it and the hard decisions that had to be made.
Weradi
Feb 24, 2016 Weradi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, older book about a poor, orphaned, white boy who discovers his heritage and is faced with the dilemas of being in Kentucky, a border state, during the Civil War.
Mary
Aug 10, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book, it is truly a classic. It is about so many ideas of love: love of thy neighbor, love of a woman, love of a man, love of country, love of relations, and the love of animals. It is about a time in our history when brother fought against brother and the ravages of their families. It is set in the Kentucky Appalachians. Seeing this young orphaned boy, Chad, in all stages of life growing to a full man. About the honor among men and how the human spirit conquers all.
This will be a sto
Samantha Glasser
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg:
Cathy Houston
Oct 29, 2014 Cathy Houston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a story of Kentucky in the period before and during the Civil War. Depicks the Brother against brother struggle in this border state.
Diane
This was just a beautiful book set just before and during the Civil War. Something about the way the author wrote had a very calming effect on me. (I felt kind of like John Boy Walton was doing the narration in my head.) In the beginning we meet an orphan boy named Chad and his dog, Jack, as they wander the hills of Kentucky in search of a home. It's a story of love, war, friendship and beauty. I would recommend waiting to read the Foreward until after reading the book. I felt that it gave away ...more
Christy
Another classic of yesteryear that hasn’t held up very well over time.
Data
Sometimes categorized as a Western, this book is instead about the Appalachians at the time of the American civil war. While the heroes are not all on one side, they are universally fine, true examples of humanity. Uplifting, but not so realistic. It does fit with the style of the time.
Andria
Apr 07, 2012 Andria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, it was thought provoking and good. The movie wasn't bad either, pretty true I thought. It was one of my grandfather's faverites. Copyright of the one I read was 1903 by charles scribner's and sons new york...1904. Hardback with 404 pgs.
Judy
Mar 02, 2010 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was a child. It made a deep impression on me. I would like to read it again to see how it is from an adult point of view. I boys life in (Appalatia?)with his gog Jack.

Chuck Slaughter
Jan 18, 2013 Chuck Slaughter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book when I was in the 6th grade and have read it again a number of times over my lifetime. It is one of my all time favorites.
Suzanne
May 18, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book - great story about Civil War and it's affect on the state of Kentucky especially.
Carmen
Jul 22, 2008 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable book
Margaret Davis
Margaret Davis marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Robyn Bray
Robyn Bray marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Ruthanne Shepherd
Ruthanne Shepherd marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
  • The Thread That Runs So True
  • Chinaberry
  • When the Whistle Blows
  • The Drop Edge of Yonder (Alafair Tucker, #3)
  • The Pit: A Story of Chicago
  • Homefront
  • Clay's Quilt
  • Feather Crowns
  • Come and Go, Molly Snow
  • After Dark (Silver John, #2)
  • The House in the Mist
  • Sea of Gray: The Around-The-World Odyssey of the Confederate Raider Shenandoah
  • The Loon Feather
  • Given Ground
  • The Kentuckians (Kentuckians, #1)
  • Coal River
  • Far Appalachia: Following the New River North
  • Down Cut Shin Creek: The Pack Horse Librarians of Kentucky
John Fox Jr. (1862-1919), American author wrote the Civil-War based The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come (1903).

John William Fox was born on 16 December 1862 in Stony Point, the heart of Bluegrass country in Bourbon County, Kentucky. The prominent Fox family was large and close knit; John had four full brothers and two sisters, and three half-brothers from his father's first wife who had died in ch
More about John Fox Jr....