Start by marking “Cat Breaking Free (Joe Grey #11)” as Want to Read:
Cat Breaking Free (Joe Grey #11)

Cat Breaking Free (Joe Grey #11)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  432 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Joe Grey isn't your average feline. After all, there's nothing ordinary about a cat who solves crimes. But it's more than his skill and cunning on the mean streets that makes Joe stand out among the legion of cat detectives on the prowl today -- it's how Joe cracks cases that makes him so unique. Join Joe Grey, his lady friend Dulcie, and their tattercoat friend Kit in the ...more
Published December 13th 2005 by Harper (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Breaking Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Breaking Free

Tiger's Voyage by Colleen HouckCat Land by Keith  NicholsInto the Wild by Erin HunterTailchaser's Song by Tad WilliamsThe Darkest Hour by Erin Hunter
The Cat's Meow
46th out of 132 books — 118 voters
Coraline by Neil GaimanAlice in Wonderland by Lewis CarrollSabriel by Garth NixPlain Kate by Erin BowIn the Hand of the Goddess by Tamora Pierce
Forget Meow! - Talking Cats in Fiction
37th out of 99 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Marfita
Mar 15, 2010 Marfita rated it it was ok
Recommended to Marfita by: That darn Hedda on SL, darn her! Okay, she hadn't read it, it wa
Shelves: cozies, mysteries
Once I get past the problem of talking cats: talking, crime-fighting housecats ... come to think of it, maybe I can't get past that. This is definitely a series for cat lovers: soppy, anthropomorphizing cat lovers. Okay, I pretend my cats talk, but I don't go much beyond "Why don't you feed me?" and "Pet me, damn you, pet me!" and "I. Hate. You." I don't imagine some rich, inner life wherein they can reason, read (how does a cat learn to read when human children take years to learn and develop f ...more
Skjam!
Jul 09, 2014 Skjam! rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans who are also cat lovers
Recommended to Skjam! by: Book Crossing
Joe Grey is a talking cat with superfeline intellect and digestive abilities. Fortunately, he has chosen to use these powers in the service of justice as a civilian investigator for the small California city of Molena Point. Along with his fellow talking cats Dulcie and Kit, they keep solving crimes and assisting the police.

In this volume, Molena Point is invaded by a large organized robbery gang; in what might be a coincidence, a woman named Chichi Barbi moves in next door to Joe’s human partne
Tara
Apr 17, 2009 Tara rated it it was ok
I'll start my review by stating that I don't usually read mass market paperbacks so my comments will be biased according to my personal reading preferences. My mom purchased this book for me when I had major surgery, and for the first week I really did enjoy the book, it was great to read a few pages and then doze off. The cats were entertaining and I really did want to know what was going on in the story. By the time I got to the end, though, I was bored and impatient with the stock characters ...more
TheIron Paw
I love seeing the world from the perspective of animals (Chet and Bernie, Traveller, Racing in the Rain), but Murphy has simply put a human in a cat's body and given them a few cat like traits. The characters are cardboard (maybe because this is #11) and the plot kind of weak. There are many better books in this genre.
Kathleen Melton
My review is based on the audiobook and also that this is my intro to the series. (Only one my library had)

I don't remember much of the first 4 chapters because I was getting used to how the perspectives kept changing. One minute you're looking at the world through joe's eyes, the next Kit's. But once I got the rhythm down, the book wasn't too bad.

I'm definitely going to find the first one and listen to it and get a better intro to the characters of the town.
Alison
Apr 13, 2010 Alison rated it it was ok
In case you've never heard of this particular mystery genre, and I surely hadn't, when I say "cat detective novel" I mean "novel in which the detective is a cat." A talking cat. Who can use the phone and stuff. In this book, we meet Chichi Barbi, who has apparently been previously involved with the tomcat's owner, Clyde. The tomcat, Joe, dislikes her immensely, and thinks that the fact that she's moved in next door means she's up to no good. So Joe spies on Chichi and, conveniently, she's up to ...more
Peggy
May 28, 2016 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a good book, but a slow reading one, you had to stay up with the story so you didn't forget what you read. Enjoyed the end.
scherzo♫
May 09, 2016 scherzo♫ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Lengthy soap-boxing by the author constantly jerks reader out of story.
Carol Meyer
Mar 22, 2015 Carol Meyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe Grey books are on by automatic have to read list.
Frank Kaiser
Apr 21, 2016 Frank Kaiser rated it it was amazing
great read, the cats are on the case
Betty
Jun 20, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Returning from weekend outing Charlie comes across a sentient cat in a steel cage. She releases him. On the same trip
The riders find a biker DEAD at the bottom of a revine.
Kit recognizes the cat in the cage and says he is Stone Eye, the
leader of her clowder. They have return to Hellhag Hill.
Joe is angry that one of Cldye's old girlfriend has moved in next door. He is watching her closely and see her running away after a robbery. The ending is different and interesting. A relaxing read after a st
Fiore777
Apr 14, 2011 Fiore777 rated it it was ok
I've been seeing a couple of series revolving around feline detectives so I decided to try one out to see what was the interest in the genre. It was fairly entertaining, perhaps I would have liked it better if was intensely into cats. I liked the characterization of the cats and how they handled situations which required them to act like regular felines. The mystery itself moved along nicely enough.
Christi
This cat mystery really did not appeal to me. I realized that about two chapters into it, but I saw it through to the end. Some parts were clever, but others so crazily ridiculous, even for a speaking & reasoning, mystery-solving cat book. I don't think I could stand to read another one of these, thus the 2 star rating from me.
Vicky
Dec 27, 2013 Vicky rated it really liked it
I loved this entire series… the cats who can talk and solve mysteries… what fun… definitely a cozy mystery, but then I love them… nothing I have to concentrate on...
Kay
Jan 13, 2012 Kay rated it liked it
I can predict that these talking, crime fighting cats will be my guilty pleasure books for the year. I just find their personalities so realistic, and I love the way they interact with each other, their humans and other cats. Only for cat lovers, though.
Bridget
Jul 25, 2012 Bridget rated it really liked it
Don't let the idea that the cats can talk to humans deter you, as it almost did me. The writing is very enjoyable and the author presented her humans' and animals' emotions in a sensitive and touching light. I was impressed.
Gizzard
Oct 14, 2013 Gizzard rated it liked it
Shelves: 32013
These were all on sale at Amazon and i picked up a couple. Not sure what i expected, but humanized cats that actually talk wasn't it. They mystery and rest of the book were fine, but I won't be seeking these out.
Mirian
Jun 01, 2013 Mirian rated it it was ok
Very creative, but I couldn't finish it. I could get to about 1/3 of it, because it was an audiobook , and the reader is very good, giving personality to each character. Definitely not my kind of reading.
Phair
Aug 27, 2009 Phair rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Molena Point is getting crowed with new & returning characters on two and 4 legs. Mystery begins to take a back seat to the characters' lives but who cares. It's fun to be back among friends here.
Tedthecat Harvey
Oct 13, 2009 Tedthecat Harvey rated it really liked it
A friend just introduced me to Joe Grey. I love him. His spirit is very much like my own dear cat. I really had no idea that Catswold Portal had given birth to Joe. Viva Joe Grey!
Pat
Jun 07, 2013 Pat rated it really liked it
I have never read one of the Molena Point mysteries that I didn't like. Give me Joe Grey, Dulcie, Kit, & their human friends all woven into a good mystery & I can't put it down!
Suzie
Sep 02, 2009 Suzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read! Talking cats? Mystery and a bit of romance thrown in for good measure. Can't ask for more than that from a lazy afternoon read.
A Cayouette
Jan 19, 2014 A Cayouette rated it it was amazing
Another well written book ! Bravo Shirley!
Jen Marie
Jan 11, 2009 Jen Marie rated it liked it
A nice twist on the many 'cat mysteries' that are out there. It stands out on its own. nice, easy read.
Carol Frazer
Feb 03, 2016 Carol Frazer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this whole series--it is entertaining--but I like cats,soooo....
Franklin
Aug 29, 2008 Franklin rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
It sounds like a self-help book for cats but it's not helping me. Don't buy it.
Shirley
Dec 03, 2013 Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first by this author and I loved it! Read superbly by William Dubris.
Michele
Dec 21, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, series
Loved this one. Dulcie, Joe Grey and Kit are the best characters.
Phillis
Sep 23, 2010 Phillis rated it it was amazing
Another good Joe Grey book! Ready to read the next in the series.
Nan St.Michael
May 25, 2015 Nan St.Michael rated it really liked it
Love this series and this book did not disappoint.
  • Cat in a Quicksilver Caper (Midnight Louie, #18)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • The Cat, the Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
Shirley Rousseau Murphy is the author of over 40 books, including the award-winning Joe Grey cat mystery series and three other novels for adults, the Dragonbards Trilogy and more for young adults, and many books for children. She grew up in southern California, riding and showing the horses her father trained. After attending the San Francisco Art institute she worked as an interior designer, and ...more
More about Shirley Rousseau Murphy...

Joe Grey (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Cat on the Edge (Joe Grey, #1)
  • Cat Under Fire (Joe Grey, #2)
  • Cat Raise the Dead (Joe Grey, #3)
  • Cat in the Dark (Joe Grey, #4)
  • Cat To The Dogs (Joe Grey, #5)
  • Cat Spitting Mad (Joe Grey, #6)
  • Cat Laughing Last (Joe Grey, #7)
  • Cat Seeing Double (Joe Grey, #8)
  • Cat Fear No Evil (Joe Grey, #9)
  • Cat Cross Their Graves (Joe Grey, #10)